• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
I ASKED FOR TORNA IMPRESSIONS AND GOT GLOSSED OVER

I don't want to put all the blame on you but in part it's your fault, every Xenoblade related thread ends up the same no matter the entry and no matter what's the supposed focus on the thread, a thread that talked about the designs everything else was going to be glossed over. But alas, Torna is alright and a nice addition to the game, the characters' designs for the most part were present in the base game(a bunch showed up in flashbacks other were present during the events of the game).

I skipped 2 because of this business. Makes no sense either. It was a 180 from the designs in 1.

Yeah, no, that's bullshit.

For context, I was one of the first ever Nintendo fans to order Xenoblade, I was one of the few that even knew it was a first party IP. It became my favourite JRPG of all time, my top five of all time Nintendo games, and in my opinion the second coming of entertainment.

I was so embarrassed by the designs of X2 that I haven't bought the sequel to one of my favourite games ever made.

Make of that what you will.

Whatever floats your boat, 2 surely took it to another level but it's always been present in the series.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
This cutscene isn't the only scene with Pyra, and isn't their only opportunity to frame her in a shitty way.

We were talking all optional cutscenes dude.

anyhows if you can't deal with/cringe at so little of "framing pyra" when talking of how huge the game is then maybe you should consider not playing hundreds of jrpgs. Most of jrpgs have "shitty" stuff in them, whether its scenes, designs, or writing

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Since you are only seeing this now, you are missing the context of when the game was launched. Their previous game took to long and was heavily criticized by characters design so they probably just thought fuck this shit and tried to maximize profits by accepting everything on the characters design. Since the previous game had weird characters, the new ones looked like a improvement.

So was a master move that took advantage of timing.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

anyhows if you can't deal with/cringe at so little of "framing pyra" when talking of how huge the game is then maybe you should consider not playing hundreds of jrpgs. Most of jrpgs have "shitty" stuff in them, whether its scenes, designs, or writing
I'd honestly say I noticed it way more in XB2 than I did in other jrpgs. Like, here's another great example:

Then there's the fact that Poppi is designed as a maid/sex object for Tora. There's just a ton of completely pointless stuff like that.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I'd honestly say I noticed it way more in XB2 than I did in other jrpgs. Like, here's another great example:

Then there's the fact that Poppi is designed as a maid/sex object for Tora. There's just a ton of completely pointless stuff like that.

Boob Jiggle...? How did you not notice that before in other games?

Anyway I watch too much anime to care, when I first played Xenoblade 2 if there was anything off like some of the stuff you mentioned, I'd just cringe at it and move on. I like monolithsoft too much to care about this. I do wish the game had a similar style to maybe Xenosaga 3 and toned down the anime stuff but this is what we got in the end.. and when grouped with Torna I think it's the best jrpg this gen honestly.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's one of the worst offender in recent years, that's for sure. Calling it tasteless would be an understatement. Taking XB and XCX into account, this was an easy skip.

Oct 31, 2017
k3osAo1.gif

giphy.gif

Yes KOS-MOS is sexualized, but I just wanna say Monolith Soft's character models have also gone down the fucking drain IMO

Oct 31, 2017

A vast majority of those are JRPG's with heavy dating sim elements. A plague on the genre but w/e. Personally? I skip them. 99% of the games I play are JRPG's and almost all of them are not from this gen.

Nintendo in general has been super disappointing with JRPG's. Wii had almost nothing, and Switch and 3DS are filled with otaku garbage

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
FYI, saying everyone else is doing something bad isn't a great defense.

I know it isn't, but some people can get selective about this, don't mind this stuff in some games but mind it a lot in others.

I know some like that here, irl, in discord.. as this subject has been discussed for 2-3 years now

k3osAo1.gif

giphy.gif

Yes KOS-MOS is sexualized, but I just wanna say Monolith Soft's character models have also gone down the fucking drain IMO

She's a masterpiece 😍

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Look, say what you want about taste, but Rex's default outfit is objectively dumb as hell.

Also, it would have been nice for them to take the designs submitted by the guest artists and then try to create a single "style" and modify the base designs to at least have some cohesion with each other.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Look, say what you want about taste, but Rex's default outfit is objectively dumb as hell.

Also, it would have been nice for them to take the designs submitted by the guest artists and then try to create a single "style" and modify the base designs to at least have some cohesion with each other.

the idea is to do gacha, get plenty of random characters. Not having a cohesive style is fine.

But for the main cast, they're almost all designed by one artist.

Last edited:

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US

Your argument is essentially that it doesn't bother you and people should either get over it, skip content that might be objectionable, or do not play most JRPGs in general? People can play these games and criticize them, just like you can be fine with them.

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
Your argument is essentially that it doesn't bother you and people should either get over it, skip content that might be objectionable, or do not play most JRPGs in general? People can play these games and criticize them, just like you can be fine with them.

If only it was this easy. Some replies here make it like it's their life mission to *prove* that XB2 should get deleted from existence and nobody should play it.

I started by saying that despite the flaws, the game is great, and that the characters can be llikable. but instead I get that those who like Pyra are sexist predators animu weaboo shitty human beings.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
If only it was this easy. Some replies here make it like it's their life mission to *prove* that XB2 should get deleted from existence and nobody should play it.

I started by saying that despite the flaws, the game is great, and that the characters can be llikable. but instead I get that those who like Pyra are sexist predators animu weaboo shitty human beings.
I dislike some of the designs and themes of the game, but I still look forward to playing it one day because I really liked Xenoblade 1. You mention alternate outfits for Pyra that cover up more. Besides the "disguise," I don't see an alternative for her as good as Mythra's (from smash). Can you show me what you meant?

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
I dislike some of the designs and themes of the game, but I still look forward to playing it one day because I really liked Xenoblade 1. You mention alternate outfits for Pyra that cover up more. Besides the "disguise," I don't see an alternative for her as good as Mythra's (from smash). Can you show me what you meant?

The disguise is what I meant, sadly she did not get something like Mythra's smash outfit.

Oct 31, 2017

Awww, I get you. I think those posters just got angry at some of the outrageous defenses and probably just forgot about nuance.

Like, for example, I fucking love KOS-MOS. Is she sexualized? Yes. But she is also insanely badass and the complete opposite of submissive, which makes it much easier to stomach for me. Plus all 3 Xenosaga games are amazing experiences for me.

So it makes sense for someone to acknowledge that Pyra is sexualized and some scenes are gross, but the other stuff in the game (and maybe other aspects of her character?) more than make up for it. It's a problem when people make up excuses for the gross stuff, though you already knew that. But also don't tell ppl to avoid the genre because of a widespread problem :p

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Boob Jiggle...? How did you not notice that before in other games?

Anyway I watch too much anime to care, when I first played Xenoblade 2 if there was anything off like some of the stuff you mentioned, I'd just cringe at it and move on. I like monolithsoft too much to care about this. I do wish the game had a similar style to maybe Xenosaga 3 and toned down the anime stuff but this is what we got in the end.. and when grouped with Torna I think it's the best jrpg this gen honestly.
Arguing it's okay because other shitty games do it in a not a good argument. It's irrelevant.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is basically if like FFXV had 3 versions of Cindy as your party members instead of the boys. Or maybe if Prompto was replaced by the Brave Exivus guy.

Cindy got a lot of discussion too. You might not see as many people talk about like, some idea factory game because like 50k people play those games, they aren't selling millions of copies and getting huge pushes from giant publishers or platform holders.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I feel like if I can't play it with all my family members in the room, then it's probably too much. That's my way to gauge it. My sister always loves walking in and reading along when I play RPGs ever since we were kids. She walked in on this:

And angrily told the game to Fuck Off. This was a first and kinda shows how bad it is. I really didn't care much to continue after that.

What the fuck did I just watch

giphy.gif

Petohtalrayn

Nov 3, 2017
I mean, have you seen the 3DS Fire Emblem games?

I just absolutely hate how a majority of exclusive Nintendo JRPG's as of late have had a "trashy anime" vibe

Three Houses toned it down from what I've heard, but it still has dumb dating sim stuff and a more generic art style
Yeah, they were pretty offputting too, though Echoes seems all right?. Three Houses is my first Fire Emblem and it's definitely an improvement.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I don't want to put all the blame on you but in part it's your fault, every Xenoblade related thread ends up the same no matter the entry and no matter what's the supposed focus on the thread, a thread that talked about the designs everything else was going to be glossed over. But alas, Torna is alright and a nice addition to the game, the characters' designs for the most part were present in the base game(a bunch showed up in flashbacks other were present during the events of the game).

Yeah, no, that's bullshit.

Whatever floats your boat, 2 surely took it to another level but it's always been present in the series.

whatever bruv. I'm not playing this shitwith a clean conscience. Also, not that bullshit. Armor designs in 1 were very much unattractive, but they weren't as skimp as those present in X1.

This whole topic is messy fuck this, actually.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Awww, I get you. I think those posters just got angry at some of the outrageous defenses and probably just forgot about nuance.

Like, for example, I fucking love KOS-MOS. Is she sexualized? Yes. But she is also insanely badass and the complete opposite of submissive, which makes it much easier to stomach for me. Plus all 3 Xenosaga games are amazing experiences for me.

So it makes sense for someone to acknowledge that Pyra is sexualized and some scenes are gross, but the other stuff in the game (and maybe other aspects of her character?) more than make up for it. It's a problem when people make up excuses for the gross stuff, though you already knew that. But also don't tell ppl to avoid the genre because of a widespread problem :p

I have never seen a more right post. Kudos to you! KOS-MOS is super badass indeed. She's not even THAT sexualized either unless you count her silly Project X zone take on D Teneritas. While it does happen in EPISODE III, it is much less of a problem there. I mean, the knife still rips her top but y'know what I mean.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, have you seen the 3DS Fire Emblem games?

I just absolutely hate how a majority of exclusive Nintendo JRPG's as of late have had a "trashy anime" vibe

Three Houses toned it down from what I've heard, but it still has dumb dating sim stuff and a more generic art style

What "dumb dating sim" stuff, exactly? It has supports, which are for characterization, and an innocuous tea time mini-game. That's... it.

Characters can potentially get (platonic or romantic) paired endings together depending on support level, like in almost all Fire Emblems dating back 20 years, but there's no marrying everyone off into pairs to breed hyperbolic time chamber children, like in Awakening & Fates.

Awakening and to a greater extent Fates had a lot of gross pandering. Don't extend that to the entire series, or even the series lately. Shadows of Valentia (3DS) and now Three Houses, the last two entries, were 99% free of it. (There's one or two female villains in each game with 5 minutes of screentime who are sexualized, but that's it.)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the part that sucks the most is that outside of Final Fantasy, there really aren't many examples of "big" JRPGs anymore, so games like XC2 being the "biggest" non-FF JRPGs and just being INFESTED with otaku bullshit in every possible corner means that if you like the idea of JRPGs but don't want to constantly be assaulted by a bunch of fetish nonsense...you have no options. No alternatives.

It wasn't so bad when there were lots of RPGs to play so you could just avoid the gross creepazoid shit and not even have to worry about it, but nowadays...there's just nothing. You either wait five or six years for an FF to come out and until then you have nothing to play, or you have to suffer this kind of shit. And nobody seems to care anymore - ESPECIALLY not the people making the games.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

You say this like this isn't actually already happening (people walking away from anime centric JRPG's because of an over reliance on creepy anime tropes). You say this like every single Persona thread on this website isn't completely laden with criticisms about this very thing.

whatever bruv. I'm not playing this shitwith a clean conscience. Also, not that bullshit. Armor designs in 1 were very much unattractive, but they weren't as skimp as those present in X1.

I mean...

EBDrCDxW4AITnvp.jpg

It's got it's fair share of the same shit. The difference is that it's optional.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
so you are skipping the best jrpg of the generation because of some tits?

very smart decision.

I mean, it's a perfectly reasonable decision.

I thought Made from Abyss was one of the best animes of the decade. I do not fault ANYONE who refuses to watch it because of what it deals with and how it depicts minors, much in the same way that I don't fault anyone who refuses to play xenoblade 2 because of the weird pervy streak that runs through it.

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
so you are skipping the best jrpg of the generation because of some tits?

very smart decision.

Wow, JRPGs must really be a shit genre these days if that were really the case.

Thankfully it isn't

Edit: Also, if so many here don't pay attention to the creepy fan service then why is criticizing it so bothersome to you? If this really is a great jrpg then shouldn't it just drop this stuff going forward? It's clearly turning people off from giving it a try. And for me personally it was ruining the pacing of the story.

Last edited:

LatteToGo

Oct 28, 2017
Not gonna lie, because of this thread I order my copy (collector edition too) and see what the fuss about

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
It's best to just vote with your wallet. Watch reviews, get gameplay impressions from reviewers you trust and make the decision to buy a game based off of that.

Buying the game because it's one of the biggest JRPGs on the system and you like JRPGs is telling the developers it's okay to put elements you may not like in the next installment. It sucks but what other choice do you have?

There's a crowd that enjoys designs like Pyra's or Rabbit-Woman's (I forgot her name, it's been a while) and they support the product in droves. Their voice is being heard, why not make yours too?

Or, if you really have to play it...buy it used!

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like Xenoblade 1 or X's design were particularly good either. The difference with 2 is that they managed to get a bunch of guest artists and the majority of them have a knack for the type of character design that JRPG fans tend to like.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Pyra's knockers aren't even that big in the concept art. When making the model someone just thought 'let's go bigger!'

Shame because she and Mythra are good characters.