• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yuffie steals all the materia and sells it. Everybody starts somewhere between level 35 to 50 and the enemies are scaled accordingly.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Why does it have to be exactly Yuffie stealing the Materia?

Wutai is played up in the Remake. Have someone else from Wutai do it, and have Yuffie help with the recovery later.

Her whole story line is she is stealing materia because Wutai has been complacent since the war ended and wants to build up a stock pile for them to fight back.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
whats wrong with them carrying over directly, I dont see the issue.... also with the levels, 50-75 for the next part could be viable and the game could be treated almost like an MMO in terms of leveling. So I dont see the issue with that too since its just a number anyways.

None of the materia was game ending or all powerful IMO, and there are so many more materia that can be added to the game.

Level is just number, true. But materia? I don't think giving the players the access to high-level spells like Thundaga or Firaga at the start of a new game is good idea. Even in OG, we're not this overpowered at this stage.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Yuffie steals your shit, you go after her. Materia and gear is solved.

Levels just scale. Level 50 in Midgard could be equivalent to Level 10 worldwide.

Also, videogame leves don't have to be exponetial... in a RPG just cause you are level 50 that does not mean you are literally 5 times more powerfull than level 10 person.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
It's a bit overwhelming if you've not played the first one for ages or SE might want people to buy it even if they're not played the first part, like a kid who gets PS5 as their first console.

3rd part may begin captured by Shinra.

Exactly. Y'all need to get used to the idea that this stuff is not carrying over. SE isn't going to alienate a potential new players or leave them feeling like they are missing out. The feeling of progression is a core part of game design and you don't solve that by making numbers go higher like some of you are suggesting. It sucks but it is the exact problem we that was inevitable when it was decided that one game would get split up into multiple parts.

These games are too expensive to make to design around just the audience that bought Part 1.

Because we are going to be crossing console generations, I don't even expect some type of bonus based on what you did in Part 1.

Kroz

Jul 4, 2019
I don't think our materia will carry over. I imagine they will be concerned about the 'new players' that for some reason didn't play part 1. If they let us keep our materia we would have some pretty crazy builds at the jump of the game. They would also have to scale monsters to us already take hits from 'Ga' level spells and enemy skills like Bad Breath.

Yuffie stealing our materia would be a good enough reason to go in bare bones. It would be double satisfying if we can earn it back in wutai or something.

If we go to 3 parts they could end part 1 after Cloud gives the black materia to Sephiroth. Part 3 could start with Tifa waking up in junon a week later and you could give the excuse that Shinra took all our belonging.

I personally dont mind if they strip us in each part. Earning our stuff back and getting more powerful stuff in the process would be neat.

Jirotrom

Jan 2, 2018
Level is just number, true. But materia? I don't think giving the players the access to high-level spells like Thundaga or Firaga at the start of a new game is good idea. Even in OG, we're not this overpowered at this stage.
why not, they played the first game and it carries over so what, other new materia will be available to level up, like Quake. Using thundaga and FIraga came at ahuge expense in this new battle system, both MP and timewise so I dont see the issue. there were many times I would get attacked while charging up a big spell like thundaga.

Jirotrom

Jan 2, 2018
It's a bit overwhelming if you've not played the first one for ages or SE might want people to buy it even if they're not played the first part, like a kid who gets PS5 as their first console.
If they didnt play the first part then they dont carry over anything over and they start them at some base level which could essentially be level 50

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Y'all need to get used to the idea that this stuff is not carrying over. SE isn't going to alienate a potential new players or leave them feeling like they are missing out. The feeling of progression is a core part of game design and you don't solve that by making numbers go higher like some of you are suggesting. It sucks but it is the exact problem we that was inevitable when it was decided that one game would get split up into multiple parts.

These games are too expensive to make to design around just the audience that bought Part 1.

Because we are going to be crossing console generations, I don't even expect some type of bonus based on what you did in Part 1.

Again. They can easily give new players who didn't import a save file a suite of starter materia. This is not hard.

And what about weapons and weapon abilities? Are we supposed to believe Tifa just forgot how to punch right?

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I dont understand why its so difficult and problematic for you to just keep all your stuff and levels. The character level is uncapped to 100, and each episode it adds another 50. Materia all has higher levels also. There's not going to be many people who are playing the next one without playing the first one that would be kind of stupid as its one whole story anyway.

If they do that Yuffie thing its going to be really dumb and contrived and everyone will hate the character, and it kind of ruins the whole Wutai story, but maybe they said they are changing it completely, I don't know.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
If they didnt play the first part then they dont carry over anything over and they start them at some base level which could essentially be level 50
It's a weird sitation then because if I was a new player, I certainly wouldn't use the basic mode with less materia... yet I might still find it overwhelming. I really dount you can swap over data too because it's years ahead.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Also MMOs balance this stuff all the time. Don't just think about regular RPGs when thinking about this new saga of games.

You guys are making this way too hard lol. It's not that hard of a game design problem.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Because removing materia kills gameplay options. It makes the battle system very boring.
FFVII-2 is going to be a game in and of itself, designed and curated with progression and item distribution in its own right. It doesn't need to be a direct gameplay progress continuation of FFVIIR.

The battle system of VII-2 is likely going to be different enough that direct continuation won't make sense.

Jirotrom

Jan 2, 2018
It's a weird sitation then because if I was a new player, I certainly wouldn't use the basic mode with less materia... yet I might still find it overwhelming. I really dount you can swap over data too because it's years ahead.

If you dont want to use the basic mode play the first game and carry over what you gain from that, if you dont want to play the first game, just use a preset that is given to you. FFVII remake has sold ALOT of copies, I just dont see this as a big issue, lots of games have carried over progress successfully to the next, and when unable to they just give a preset.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the "everyone will hate Yuffie" concerns.
I think you're just thinking about the context in the original, but it's shallow to just look it that way, that was like a side quest. This time she's stealing like 40 hours of gameplay progress.

You can give a noble reason all you want for why she does it but she becomes a diabolus ex machina, a character coming from nowhere and fucking up your work.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
FFVII-2 is going to be a game in and of itself, designed and curated with progression and item distribution in its own right. It doesn't need to be a direct gameplay progress continuation of FFVIIR.

The battle system of VII-2 is likely going to be different enough that direct continuation won't make sense.
Again, my prediction is a preset selection of materia. People saying no materia are cray. Or some dumb Yuffie thing? Nah.

Also SE will reward previous FFVIIR players some way.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get the "everyone will hate Yuffie" concerns.

She gives the materia back eventually in the original, this way she wouldn't be giving it back at all, I don't understand how its hard to understand that the majority of players will hate her for it especially when its the beginning of the game and you barely know her.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
But you can use a weapon's ability without the weapon equipped.
This isn't explained in the lore, but my explanation would be that you need to have them on your person to use the abilities with other Weapons.

Which then brings us to where the hell the unused weapons, items and materia go lol.

Again, my prediction is a preset selection of materia. People saying no materia are cray. Or some dumb Yuffie thing? Nah.

Also SE will reward previous FFVIIR players some way.
I agree there will be a small token for those who are found to have FFVIIR savegames on their system/trophies on their profile. But what you get won't be anything particularly curated or special. That's how most games do these kind of things. It's a piece of DLC that everybody gets just for playing the previous the game.

I'd be incredibly surprised if we get a Mass Effect style thing out of this series.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
She gives the materia back eventually in the original, this way she wouldn't be giving it back at all, I don't understand how its hard to understand that the majority of players will hate her for it especially when its the beginning of the game and you barely know her.
If they need a story reason, it should be a character or incident you're not meant to like, stealing your 40 hours of progress.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I mean how do most sequels work?

Are we expecting Kratos in GoW2 to have all his abilities available? What about Peter Parker and his gadgets/upgrades?

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Again. They can easily give new players who didn't import a save file a suite of starter materia. This is not hard.

And what about weapons and weapon abilities? Are we supposed to believe Tifa just forgot how to punch right?

Gameplay design trumps narrative. Think about this stuff in the context of any other game series: Why does Geralt start at level 4 at the start of Witcher 3? He already saved the world twice over. He was level 40 at the end of Witcher 2! Why does he have crappy starter gear when I ended The Witcher 2 with end game equipment? What, did he forget how to swing a sword?

Exactly, it will stand of its own as a contained experience.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I like that most summons are virtual remakes, meaning they can be replaced with the "real" ones later

Otherwise, itd be weird to start part II with Firaga and shit so Im sure theyll retcon that to some degree. Part I at least didnt use all of the materia they could have used so thats good

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

Are we expecting Kratos in GoW2 to have all his abilities available? What about Peter Parker and his gadgets/upgrades?
FF VII Remake 2 might be more jarring, because the events of the sequel would begin so soon after the first (barring the nibelheim flashback)

entremet

Oct 26, 2017

Different expectations. This is a remake saga of a single game. Not a remake of a series of games. You need continuity or it will be jarring narratively.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
Also MMOs balance this stuff all the time. Don't just think about regular RPGs when thinking about this new saga of games.

You guys are making this way too hard lol. It's not that hard of a game design problem.

Well, this is not MMO. And I don't think Square Enix has previous records of doing that kind of thing in offline RPG. CMIIW though.

In KH3, Sora lose his power. In Lightning Returns FFXIII, Lightning start with basic spell like thunder, etc, eventhough narrative-wise she should the savior, all powerful goddess.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Well, this is not MMO. And I don't think Square Enix has previous records of doing that kind of thing in offline RPG. CMIIW though.

In KH3, Sora lose his power. In Lightning Returns FFXIII, Lightning start with basic spell like thunder, etc, eventhough narrative-wise she should the savior, all powerful goddess.
I'm just saying it is not a difficult mathematical problem. It's not as hard as you guys are making it.

JuanLatino

Cerny’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it would work. Like Razorrin said, a TERRIBLE first impression poisons the well for a character forever. Look at Hope from FFXIII.

The sidequests in this game were terrible, though. Pretty much every last one was terribly designed and felt like filler that existed solely to push up the game's play time counter. If you can't even carry over things like the Enemy Skill materia or the Bahamut summon (which I didn't even get until AFTER I BEAT THE DAMN GAME), they've completely failed.

it doesn't matter if the sidequests are terrible, they are terrible in other games aswell.
Part 1 is its own game - Part 2 will start fresh like basically every sequel to videogames.
You start at a low level and build up your way to a powerful character - that's the basic formular of videogames

Part 2 will not be a addon or DLC - it will be a completely new game, with new gameplay and combat.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
I have a feeling that they will treat it like a whole new game and start everything over again
You could still have progression. You balance the game with the new ceiling. That's all.

Are we gonna do this hard reset every entry in these remake series?

You can't be serious, balancing a game is a tremendous challenge. Most games have problems with balance and they don't even have the expectations of a continued narrative.

This is not a fighting game. It's a JPRG. There are very simple mathematical formulas you can apply.

You can also nerf some Materia.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
If they need a story reason, it should be a character or incident you're not meant to like, stealing your 40 hours of progress.

I mean are they going to have it happen twice, your characters are really careless with their materia at the beginning of the game and then later on as well, the impact is lessened the second time and all the more frustrating. People might not even understand that you get it back a bit later.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Makes me dizzy how depending on what aspect of this game we are talking, I should treat it as it's own game or as just a part of a whole game. Can we settle on one or another? lol

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
At the minimum, each entry will have preset materia and levels. There will not be anything where you start with no Materia or are at level 6, like the first game.

That won't work at all and will be too jarring.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Do people seriously think they're not going to do a hard reset?

You're losing your stuff in one way or another.

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Do people seriously think they're not going to do a hard reset?

You're losing your stuff in one way or another.
Not a hard reset as in no materia. Nah. My prediction is you will get preset materia--Cloud having a Lighting Materia, Aeris having Pray, Cure, and so on. You'll also have your old summons since they're easy to rebalance.

Materia is one of the big things of this game. While you may not have your original sets, starting with no Materia will be too jarring.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

I don't agree with anyone hating her for that is my thing. Kingdom hearts like someone brought up always comes up with some BS why you're lvl 1 again. And even if people end up "hating her" in the beginning It's ok for a character be unlikable when you first meet them. If they follow through with her original story it will make sense to new players why she did it. I imagine it will be portrayed as some wacky anime hi jinks anyway so I still have my doubts about anyone having any serious contempt for the character lol.

If they want the player to start at base level again and they want a narrative reason it make sense to move an already existing story line involving Yuffie steal materia up to the beginning of the game.

Or maybe they don't reset at all!

I don't care. I'll trust them to make the right decision.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Would they even need a narrative reason to explain away losing all your experience and gear? Like I know materia exists in the narrative, but it's not like Cloud having and evolving "x" materia was part of the story. That and stuff like weapons upgrades seems a lot more "meta". Like when FFVII-R 2 starts I fully expect Cloud and Barrett to have their trusty old sword and machine gun arm back.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Not a hard reset as in no materia. Nah. My prediction is you will get preset materia--Cloud having a Lighting Materia, Aeris having Pray, Cure, and so on. You'll also have your old summons since they're easy to rebalance.

Materia is one of the big things of this game. While you may not have your original sets, starting with no Materia will be too jarring.
Yuffie will leave you the basics and run off laughing.
Would they even need a narrative reason to explain away losing all your experience and gear? Like I know materia exists in the narrative, but it's not like Cloud having and evolving "x" materia was part of the story. That and stuff like weapons upgrades seems a lot more "meta". Like when FFVII-R 2 starts I fully expect Cloud and Barrett to have their trusty old sword and machine gun arm back.
Of course they don't need a reason. It's more fun if they do though.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with anyone hating her for that is my thing. Kingdom hearts like someone brought up always comes up with some BS why you're lvl 1 again. And even if people end up "hating her" in the beginning It's ok for a character be unlikable when you first meet them. If they follow through with her original story it will make sense to new players why she did it. I imagine it will be portrayed as some wacky anime hi jinks anyway so I still have my doubts about anyone having any serious contempt for the character lol.

If they want the player to start at base level again and they want a narrative reason it make sense to move an already existing story line involving Yuffie steal materia up to the beginning of the game.

Or maybe they don't reset at all!

I don't care. I'll trust them to make the right decision.
A lot people would definitely hate her, even if some personally think it would be amusing to have a scrappy character fucking over your progress.