• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I moved out at 16. I got a job as a prep cook but was working the line within days. I had a 2 bedroom apartment with my buddy. I barely saw the apartment though because of the insane hour's I was working at the restaurant. I'm sure they broke labor laws because of my age.

aBIGeye

Nov 2, 2017
25, but it was just six months for an internship abroad. Being back at home was/is though, the relationships with my parents is ok even if I miss some freedoms, but my hometown is a bit dull compared to what I was used to. Problem is, Milano's rents are way too high for the salaries my field has to offer, same reason why during the uni I had to be a commuter. Oh well, hopefully I'll land a job abroad for next year.

Kleefeld

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
19. I actually studied in my hometown but I felt I had to get away from my controlling mother so I moved into a small apartment with a friend closer to university.

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Currently 27 and haven't moved out yet. It didn't help that I was off work for 9 months while I was dealing with AML (and my savings drained with it). Plan is to save up for a house (houses are expensive) which if all goes well should be sometime next year.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like this thread goes against everything else we read on era. Seems there's a lot of people here found it possible to get out of there parents home. I moved out at 25. Bought a condo with my girl and been living here ever since with her and my son. I suggest to anyone to not waste the opportunity of saving money while living with your parents. Don't take that time for granted and make use of it. If possible that is. Everyone's situation is different.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I was 19. I lost my job and had to move back in with my mom about a year later. It wasn't fun either as rent took over half my income.

Was another 8 years before my financial situation improved enough to move out again and stay out.

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I moved out in 2000 when I was 18, as I was attending college a couple hours away from where my family lived. I never regretted it for a second. My cousin (one of my roommates) actually found it kind of unsettling how little I missed my family.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I moved out as soon as high school was over. I didn't have enough money for first, last + deposit so I moved into a shitty motel where I could pay by the week. I had a nervous breakdown later, and I moved back in with my parents for a while and we almost murdered each other.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping to do it early next year, couldn't afford to while in college/saving for college but now i'm living the good life except wasting three hours in commuting per day. Working towards moving out next February at 29.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
28 here but still haven't truly moved out. My situation atm is paying for my school loan after having failed at a medical program I was in.

Currently working at a job that pays me under $15/hour, but man are homes in CA expensive! Which is not helped that I have to pay for a school loan first. I was recommended to apply for a job that might pay me better plus potentially giving me benefits on top of that. So here's hoping I land an interview.

And I have a savings account active atm, so hopefully my situation gets better once my loan is fully paid. I would personally want to move closer to town, since where I live is in the middle of nowhere.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
18, moved for college but I never ended up coming back to stay for summers or anything. I just got my own place.

I had to stay with my mother for a brief two months at 25 when I moved and had to wait for an apartment to open up and it was fucking horrible haha

EDIT
I do want to say if you are reading this as an 18 year old don't panic. When I moved out in the early 2000s I was able to afford a small (shitty) apartment with a part time job and a roommate while going to school. We were both poor as shit and ate horrible food all the time but I made it work.

In the city I live in now I have no idea how an 18 year is expected to get an apartment, even with a roommate. Rent on a 2 bedroom here, split in half would be over 600 a month. You'd have to be working nearly full time and making above minimum wage to be able to pay that while still covering basic living expenses.

So yeah, I feel for you young people.

Last edited:

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
30. Rent is incredibly expensive here and no one can really afford to move out on their own. I moved in with my girlfriend about 6 months after meeting.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
22 years old. Then moved back in with my parents for a couple years until I got married and got a house at 26.

Oct 28, 2017
I was 20 when I did for the first time, though returned home like six months later due to financial and mental health issues. Stayed there for 7 years and finally moved out again about a month ago. Love it so far, but I dont judge anybody for having difficulties with leaving. It's a huge step, both personally and financially.

vainya

Dec 28, 2017
New Jersey, USA
23 I think. The living situation with my mother was not ideal and I was dating my husband then. So we moved in together. I can't come back home now. I'm fully out.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
29. My parents bought a small house when I was 22 and about to go back to university. I live in an expensive city, it made more sense to pay a small amount of rent to my parents than pay a lot for a small apartment. I found an apartment with my girlfriend earlier this year and decided to move out

Eidan

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
23, about a year after I graduated college. Would've happened sooner if I hadn't gotten laid off from my first job.

Oct 28, 2017
19. When i left for the Navy. Never moved back home. I was a High School dropout and I had about 6 jobs in the year after High School and leaving for the service.

Being a HS Dropout and getting into college before getting my GED a proud moment in my life.

Brashnir

Oct 25, 2017
21, as soon as I had a job which earned enough to pay a reasonable rent in my area with roommates.

Oct 27, 2017
18. Went back for a few months to gather myself after a bad divorce in my late 20's, but apart from that I've never looked back.

It was simultaneously the best thing for me, but also I don't blame people one bit for doing it much later than that.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
19 at Uni, moved home after at 24, decided to take some time and save to buy a house rather than rent (whilst paying modest rent at my parent's). Moved out in to my own place at 26.

Don't take that cheaper home life for granted.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
22 as a student. That was in August 2017. I moved almost 500km away as there was a good opportunity to catch up on getting my higher education exams done. That will happen in mid-2021 if everything goes to plan. After that I hope I'll get a stable job, if not, then I'll have to move back.

I still drive home every vacation, tho. I'll see my parents in about ten days again :D

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
27 I think. I'm an only child raised by a single mother so it's always been me and her and she's pretty cool so I never felt pressured to move out as early as possible.
Once I really got into "young adult" mode where you're getting wasted a few times a week, taking a girl home and making grilled cheeses at 3am, then I moved.

Most of y'all really seem to hate your families. Weird.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
13. I left home and hitchhiked and hopped trains all over the country. I was a deliquent punk rocker and I had issues with my mother. God bless her soul she really didn't deserve the stress I put her through and I've spent every year since I was 20 trying to make it up to her.

Oddly I'm living on my own for the first time in over 20 years now. I had roommates for years and then partners I lived with. It feels so good to not be sharing a spot with anyone now despite the fact that I've mostly had good experiences cohabitating

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
17. Not because i hated my family but because i was very independent and wanted to move on explore life.

I regret moving out that early and if i could do it all over again that's the one thing i would change. Aside from personal reasons after the fact there was absolutely no reason to move out that early it didn't benefit me at all.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017

I had just graduated and landed my first job. I was very fortunate I had a paid internship for multiple years during college and so was able to purchase a house straight away.

Dead Guy

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Went to college at 18 and never came back. Well that's not entirely true. I had 2 stints where I lived at home for about 4 months while I looked for a job. Rent a really nice 2 bed 2 bath apartment now and it's great.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
18, went to college where it was mandatory to live in the dorms your first year. Best experience of my life, though I'll be paying for it for a long time.