• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe every other month. i just took a day off on saturday.

edit: do you mean sick time or vacation time? i take a week vacation every 3 or 4 months.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Basically never.
And not by choice.
I don't get holidays either.
I hate this place so goddamned much.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Every few weeks it's good to have a long weekend. I get the 20th off for a holiday so I'll probably take the 17th off too.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about to start two months of paid vacation.
Other than that, and the other paid breaks I get throughout the year (three weeks off in winter, a week in spring, another almost week in the fall) I don't take off much.

We tend to have at least one day a month programmed into our schedule off.

This year I called in sick I think once—maybe twice. I've been thinking about taking a personal day and going to the mountains to go hiking, but now that we're going on vacation in two weeks I'll just wait.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I get 120 hours of vacation a year (on top of a mountain of unpaid time I never touch), and can pretty much use it at the drop of a dime with no forewarning.

So, I'll take a day or half-day whenever I feel like it with zero guilt. I never take lengthy vacations so this is the trade off they accept.

Corporate doesn't love me. They'd lay me off without paying out the remainder so fuck sitting on that shit.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I take two weeks off in the summer (end of June/early July) and then the last two weeks of the year. I need to start using more PTO though since I'm close to reaching my employer's savings cap and I'll be damned if I'm gonna let any go to waste

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I get a measly 25 business days a year, aka 5 weeks, instead of the 80 business days I know I deserve.

We all deserve 2 x two weeks trips for Xmas and Easter and one three month trip for the summer. Anything less is fucking slavery.

Who's with me?

Nov 4, 2017
I get 4 weeks vacation, 2 weeks sick and about a week of long service leave per year. I racked up heaps of hours when I was young and single with nothing to do, so I have banked up hundreds of hours. We can also bank up time to get accrued days off too.

I take days off when me or my kids are sick (I can use sick leave for family members being sick), take a few weeks of vacation throughout the year (usually broken up into two or three chunks a week or two long), then take isolated RDOs from banked time just for when I'm feeling like it or have some personal stuff to do. I took a month off for each baby being born. After the second baby I had Wednesdays off for a couple of months just to ease back into things. I had wanted to take 2 months off but couldn't due to staff shortages etc so the Wednesday thing was a compromise that worked well.

Ultimately, I'm a grown up and can manage my own time inside and outside of work, and use my leave as needed with consideration to how things are in the office. It's your leave and you earned it, never feel bad for using it (unless you're being a jerk about it somehow).

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I prefer longer times off at once than shorter. I also get 16 days of vacay a year, so plenty to burn. I tend to go long stretches without any then take a week off or longer with the help of a holiday.

I just got a promotion and get Holidays off now, so that's pretty rad!

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I get 25 days off a year andI. take all those, and then I take sick days on top whenever I'm sick. Usually around 5 days a year or so.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Not nearly as much as I should.

In fact, I usually spend all of my vacation days working another job.

Barring a few sick days and spending paid leave on family engagements, I have not taken an actual vacation since 2019.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
My company doesn't have a vacation policy and I've been there a long time; I take probably about a month a year in all. Also, I never get sick - seriously - so I never take sick days, just vacation.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Never. I left my last job and got paid out for for about three months of holidays.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I use every single one of my vacation days every year without fail. So 22 days or so. Then I have an additional 18 PTO days that I can choose to either use like vacation or not use and get a pay out at the end of the year. I generally opt for the payout.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Like, maybe a week during the summer and another week split between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

My time always accumulates because I rarely take time off. When I left my job for a new one a couple months ago, since I live in a state that has no PTO recompense laws, I lost like ~140 hours lol

Poeton

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I have "unlimited" PTO it's a don't abuse it sort of thing. I should take advantage of it but I have two young kids so I end up taking time off because they're sick.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Not as often I should, probably.

I've got close to 100 hours of PTO saved up and haven't taken more than a single day off in like... nine months? I took a week off last October, and since then I think I've taken two or three "personal" days off.
It helps that my job is generally pretty low key, and working from home makes the concept of taking a day off (combined with me being a generally sedentary and anti-social person) a little less enticing.

If I had to commute to and from work everyday, it'd be a different story, for sure.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Got into the habit of taking the last Friday off of every month. I accrue a little over a vacation day a month, so maybe 13 or 14 a year. Let's me bank a few still while also getting a three day weekend on the regular to relax.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I have unlimited PTO with a suggestion of a week every quarter, I don't take more than 2 weeks a year really. Not much point in taking a single day off here and there being salaried, it just means the work piles up until you come back in and you have less time to get it done

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
My PTO was stacking up so much my boss told me to take 2 days off last week, so clearly not enough lol.

I'm still adjusting to having a month instead of 2 weeks at this new company, usually I save 1 week for summer and random days here and there. I guess I'll just double that now.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Whenever I want, and can.

Get like 5 weeks a year plus holidays, plus unlimited "sick"time.

Work hard though, especially right now.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
Rarely. Our backups are for emergency purposes only, so that means work that comes in while I'm away needs to be worked when I get back. It's stressful to take time off.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I work from home and have flex time. As long as I work 40hrs a week between sunday-saturday of the following week, I can work whenever or however I want. Like I can work 6am till noon, clock out and return to work 7pm-9pm. Whatever. When you enjoy that kind of freedom, you never really need a mental or sick day. I bank 3-4 weeks every year (rolls over, 500hr max limit), take 6 weeks of vacation May-August, and the occasional 3-4 day weekend here or there. But because of the flex time, I would rather work 4 10hr shifts from Mon-Thursday, take Fri-Mon off, and then work the following Tues-Fri 4 10hr shifts. I get the 4 day weekend, but don't have to use PTO that way. My job is mentally exhausting though, so I do not like doing 10hr shifts and often just use the PTO anyway.

If I'm not really feeling like working that day, I just don't and instead work the hours another day. I generally work Mon-Fri by choice and because I like to have my weekends free. Flex time is an amazing perk, especially while raising kids.

Sep 14, 2020
I have like 4 weeks saved up and accrue 2.5 vacation days a month so I take at least 2 days off a month. Big, bad personal stuff has happened this year so I've been taking more lately.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Last time I took PTO was in March, and then used some actually this past week so I could go get engagement photos done. I should take more, but since every week is like a 3 day weekend (I'm 100% remote and Fridays are half days that never have any work), it doesn't make much sense to burn through it.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really get true vacation at my work - always working on loans.

I had surgery recently where I was out for two weeks. Best two weeks I've had since I started working there.

Might be time for a job switch.

mantis23

Oct 27, 2017
I take 1 week every 2 months at a minimum. We get unlimited PTO so I use it as much as possible to stay sane.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
When I worked in an office, all of it. Or anything that didn't carry over. I don't give two shits how it affects a boss's perception of me. It's time I'm owed. One of the(many) reasons i quit my last office job was specifically because htey started changing things to squeeze more time out of us without any sort of compensation back. We went from 9-5 to 8-6 without a 'paid lunch' suddenly, yet most people still ate at their desk to get shit done. Then they put a ridiculous limit on carried over PTO right at the end of the year. People who worked there for decades who had months saved up suddenly had their PTO carry over slashed to a week the next year with no time to actually use any of it because there was no notice.

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
Been at my job for about 6 months. Only time I took off was the 10 days for getting Covid less than 2 weeks after I started. This reminds me that I have to ask for this Thursday off to see my son in the school play.

gnexus

Mar 30, 2018
As much as I can and as often as I can. Hell, I sometimes even take mental days off when I'm in the office.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Uh, are we counting time during covid lockdown and being laid off? 😝

It's been at least four years since taking a paid day off from work.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
usually i call in once a month or so.

I really dont like spending most of my day at work so whenever I can not be there, I try not to be.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
1 or 2 days every couple months though I am planning to take a week for Christmas this year which I normally don't do.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Too often. One or two days a month pretty much. Only too often because I need to save up my sick leave to about 120 hours for a buffer and save more annual to actually go places now that travel is opening up. Once I hit that goal it is back to using it whenever I feel like as long as I have that buffer.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Over the last couple of years I have tried to become better about taking time off. I rarely use up my allotted time.

Reszo

Oct 31, 2017
I make sure to use all my PTO (I get 4 weeks worth), usually spread throughout the year for vacations. Outside of that I rarely have a need to call off or take a day off unless it's an emergency.

I have the mindset of if I'm at home doing nothing I could be at work making money.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Whenever a birthday comes or when I need a day off to take care of some personal stuff.

I typically take 3 days off during a holiday week (Thanksgiving, Christmas or new years - mostly Christmas) -since my company already gives Christmas Eve and Christmas day off.