• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
28 vacation days left of my yearly 30 days. Probably wont spend them all during the summer like last year though. Going to sprinkledust them around over the coming months starting during easter where we will have so called "squeeze days"

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
200 hours? 300 hours? That must be nice. I'll get my full 80 hours next year and that's my cap for another 5 years.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Negative. My work let me take days in advance when my daughter was born to compliment my paternal leave.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
A lot. I know you shouldn't do it but I'm considering cashing in some of my leave. I'll still have enough to get the holidays I want and I'll soon have long service leave.

Thinking I might splurge out and get a new monitor and PC.

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Over 140hrs personal leave and about 73.3hrs of sick leave.

I always use my sick leave first. Since personal leave i get an extra 17.5% extra in pay. Would only use it for holidays.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
It sounds like most of you have very generous employers, which is awesome.

The last job I had was considered "generous" in my area and I accrued 2.7 hours of sick time every two weeks. Not even a day a month. My wife's was even lower, at 1.8 hours per pay period. My last job wasn't even entry level, I was a supervisor for my company. So glad I'm out of there and looking for other work right now.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
My record was 25 hours in my old job, easily build up.there i had 30 plus 1 holiday.
Oh yeah i had 30 or so sick days on avarage.

Now its around -/+1 to 2 hours and 29 plus 1 day off. I work more hours that's why its tougher to build up any plus. However, when I switch jobs again I want to work less hours again. Free time is more important to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
58 vacation hours, plus around 9 of "person holiday". I get 80 and 24 a year respectively. I haven't been earning them particularly long.

So far I've only used like, 2.5 vacation hours. You can only use up to your average weekly hours worked (and time actually worked that week counts), and for the first half of my employment I was working significantly less, so I only average at just shy of 35 hours right now.

I have 63 sick hours though, and those will never get used. I've called out once since I started accruing them, and usually only call out once a year. I have no idea how much I earn.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
I had like 220 but I'll have burnt it all from Jan-Apr.

(and we had a four week closure in Dec... tho I worked a bunch of that launching DLC)

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'm forced to use it all by the end of every year, I get four weeks per year, and it's towards the end of March, so... I guess I have about one week stored up right now.

Nov 11, 2017
Around 40 days right now. After I finish a project I usually take 2 months off. Half carried over from last year.

I'm a supervisor in the vfx industry, I don't get overtime pay and any weekends are toil. I get 20 days a year by default as well.

Oct 27, 2017
They moved all salaried employees to an unlimited PTO thing. So we can take as much as we want as long as we aren't "impacting business."

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
50 days currently but next month I get my yearly 25 days. I just dont really have the time to actually use it. Were a small company

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Carried over more than a week from last year that I've been burning here & there and still haven't touched the 6 weeks + 2 floating holidays for this year.

I like to have a ton of time banked for the Fall months and Christmas, but there are a couple of trips I want to take before that.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
Ill only get that much time off once I'm dead. What the actual fuck.

It was difficult to take leave in one of my old roles, and the leave just kept piled up.

I've never been a huge leave taker though. I never get sick so I've never taken a sick day at school or work - ever. I've also never skipped class.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get to store vacation time, since you lose it at the end of the year if you don't use it. Yearly I get:
50 days vacation time.
7 days holiday time.

I'm also sitting at <200 hours sick time, which does carry over yearly. So I could be out sick for over a month if I wanted to. *cough*

bugulu

Oct 25, 2017
I had 24 days saved from last year (I live in Sweden and work as a government official so I have 31 days/year vacation), so I have 55 days of vacation this year. So around 440 hours. I doubt I'll use them all up this year, but will most likely save 20 or so days for next year.

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm usually really stingy with my vacation days, but I'm already down to 25 out of 30 for this year...I normally prefer blowing them all on the christmas vacation.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Including new days I've got this year, I'm at 300 hours, which is about 7 weeks. Did a lot of overtime the last 3 months.

Ionitron

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'm a teacher so I don't get to save up vacation days. I get 3 personal days per school year. Summers "off" but I do summer school so it's really like 2 weeks vacation.

Ew. I'm also a teacher but I do get personal days that roll over onto the next year if we don't use them, maybe about 6 a year, in addition to some sick days. Obviously not that much because of summer, spring, and winter breaks.

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I had 35 days stored up recently. I'm only employed for 3 more month so now I need to get rid of all those days. Took 3 weeks off now. I'm still working though #PhDlife

elseanio

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
My holidays run from Jan-Dec, but I'm currently off on Shared Parental Leave (3 months). Will have 28 days holiday to use from May-Dec.

SchuckyDucky

Avenger
Nov 5, 2017
300 Hrs right now. Max I'm allowed to have is 320 and I earn 9.25 hrs per pay period. So right now I'm taking a minimum of 2 days of PTO a month to avoid hitting my max. I just recently got promoted and things have been a little too crazy for me to take off any more than two days a month, but in May, I plan on taking like 4-5 days off. Hopefully that will reduce your my balance a bit.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Accumulated annual leave about 6 months
Long service leave about 6 months
Days in lieu 6
Sick leave maybe 2 years

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
20 vacation days
7 personal days
3 "extra" vacation days granted by our EVP this year

+

10 holidays including 1 "floating holiday"
1 extra day if we participate in G.I.V.E. day (volunteer event)
1 extra day per weekend day worked if I have to travel

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
We have a use it or lose it policy now, but at least the vacation time isn't prorated, so I have 4 weeks as of today. I also get 5 sick days and 11 holidays.

Back before I started at my company, they had a vacation bank. We had one engineer who took no vacation for over 20 years, and when he retired they had to cash out the bank to the tune of well over 1 year of salary. Note that a lot of that was banked at a much lower salary than he had at the time, so he did pretty well. Personally, I'd rather have the time off.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I've currently got 36 hours PTO
100 hours Sick time (can't use this unless I'm sick for a minimum of 4 days with drs note)
Accumulate 5.2 hours per check.
Max I can acquire is about 200 hours.

Most I've ever had is probably 50ish hours.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Not a thing for me as a professor on a nine-month contract in a salaried position. We're just expected to not miss classes or meetings and otherwise just expected to be productive in our research and administrative work. No need to take time off and don't have to notify anyone unless canceling class or missing required meetings.