• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thoughts on Jim Carrey as comedic actor?

• Dude's hilarious! One of Hollywood's all-time-greats comedians!

Votes: 245 23.7%
  • For the most part, he's pretty damn funny.

Votes: 290 28.1%
  • He's definitely got some funny roles/bits, but it's hit or miss what you're gonna get.

Votes: 299 28.9%
  • I don't find him that funny other than a few exceptions.

Votes: 104 10.1%
  • I straight-up don't think he's funny.

Votes: 70 6.8%
  • Doesn't matter, this should be a thread about him as a dramatic actor.

Votes: 24 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.1%

• Total voters

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I think his comedy is hit or miss. I grew up watching him on In Living Color, and while I think it worked for the time, I think his skits specifically don't hold up. I think cutting his teeth as a comedian had unintentional side effects.

I don't think he's a great comedic actor, but I do think he's a much better actor than he and his movie choices often let on. I think his love of comedy is much larger than his actual comedic ability. Dude is a solid actor though, and I've found him to be really good even in his bad dramatic movies.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
That Man on the Moon documentary is fascinating, too. The way he acted all throughout that shoot and alienated pretty much everyone on set paints a picture of someone who honestly seems pretty fucked up.

A lot of that was trying to do an Andy Kaufman-style bit in real life to get publicity for the film.

Like the thing about Jim Carrey and Jerry "The King" Lawler having a "real fight/argument" backstage was all a work/setup.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He seems to have that chip on his shoulder that many comedy actors have, in that he feels that he always needs to be the funny/goofy person in the room. You see this in a lot of interviews/roundtables/live recordings and for me, that's when he's the most obnoxious and least funny.

Dude is a one of a kind talent though, particularly with his physical comedy chops.

cowtools

Jul 20, 2020
Canada
I voted other, not funny, not someone I wanna see in serious roles.

He's a creep.

He needs to be the funniest guy in the room, and he's got tons of antivax blood on his hands.

I ain't even gonna bother linking it but his weird "I love Emma Stone confession" vid.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
He's one of the largest hams. It can't be your entire diet, but in small does it can be one of the greatest things you eat. For some roles, you just need someone who can play to the cheapest seats.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
He's definitely one of the greats when it comes to physical comedy, but he's no slouch when it comes to more serious roles too. Majestic, Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine, and most recently Kidding (tv series) are all worth watching.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
been hilarious since living color, dude put that work in. and his work in stuff like eternal sunshine/truman show/man on the moon is legit good.

and i also thought he was pretty fucking good in sonic too.

no need to overthink it, it wasn't just a product of its time. early sandler is still funny too. these guys were talented and hungry.

Last edited:

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I think he's really, really good when in his element. I can't imagine movies like Liar Liar being anywhere near as good as they are with any other actor. He has an energy that can carry a show.

He's also underrated as an actual actor. I really liked Truman Show.

DarkSora

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 28, 2017
He is hilarious. As a kid, I loved his role in Batman Returns and I agree with those who say it was pretty much Jim Carrey being Jim Carrey.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the movie The Mask when I was a kid but that's about it. Most of the time I don't think he is funny.

MrToughPants

Oct 30, 2017
I never found him funny yet Robin Williams always made me laugh. I think he's good in dramatic roles though.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
8d2ab3f2ac53ac6f23ca46129eefc620.gif

Admittedly, I like far more of his movies than I don't, and he makes me smile more often than he doesn't.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Ace Ventura, Dumb & Dumber, The Mask, Liar Liar, Bruce Almighty, Fun with Dick and Jane, Truman Show, Me Myself & Irene...

I've gotten more laughs from him than anyone else. Legend in my eyes.

iAmPossum

Oct 29, 2017
His style is not my cup of tea. If I was young and dumb I'd find him funny. OTOH, his serious roles were surprising to me.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
A lot of that was trying to do an Andy Kaufman-style bit in real life to get publicity for the film.
Like the thing about Jim Carrey and Jerry "The King" Lawler having a "real fight/argument" backstage was all a work/setup.
Yet so many people fell for it.
It was Andy Kaufman that was a big asshole. Carrey did a good job playing the asshole.

Jim Carrey is great. His successful filmography can't be denied.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
Was jim carrey ever funny or were we just young?

I ask the same question about Adam sandler's first movies

have y'all tried watching them recently šŸ¤¢šŸ¤®

Ps: I find jim carrey funny
I think this is absolutely true about Adam Sandler movies. Jim Carrey holds up though. Dumb and Dumber is still one of the greatest movies ever.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the minority it seems. There were a couple moments in the Pet Detective movies but other than that, just awful.

The Mask was ok too.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
what are you talking about??? Eternal Sunshine was mentioned multiple times in this thread (including myself) as an example of a great movie due to his performance.

Reading through the thread and my memory failed me.

must have slipped my mind =/ or maybe it was erased :(

when I was in middle school, he's funny.

now..... might not hold up

I felt the same as far as outgrowing his style....and then at some point it just got better with age to me. He was an uncontrollable nova ball of comedic energy and thats very much something to behold imo.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I was at the shoot when Jerry Lawler was there and that fake beef was corny as fuck.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
His stuff from the 90's seemed more hilarious to me. But surprisingly, I enjoyed his more dramatic works than any thing he has ever done. Truman show.... tell me you didn't cry when he escaped.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I love most of his stuff. Especially his earlier stuff. Ace Ventura, Liar Liar, The Mask, etc etc. The guy has me in years in those movies to this day.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, you were? Got any stories about that?

Not really. It was a film shoot so there was a fuckton of down time and it was really boring. Probably the most interesting thing was Jim Carrey having extras do Jim Carrey impressions for him.
It was one of the first movies that had cardboard cutouts for crowds.

Last edited:

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's as good as his material. I think his ability to coast purely on his facial features and physical comedy ended about a decade ago.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Weird this thread popped up and I was watching clips of him on Youtube in Liar Liar and Cable Guy. I liked him when I was younger in Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber, Cable Guy, and Liar Liar are my favorites. I feel like Cable Guy still holds up really well today actually.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Carrey's only good performances are his more serious ones IMO. Never thought he was particularly talented as a comedian except in the "really good at making weird faces"-department.