• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How do you feel about Qui-gon Jinn?

• I think he's a great character all-around

Votes: 258 40.7%
  • I like him, but not the film he's in

Votes: 243 38.3%
  • I never thought The Phantom Menace was bad - this goes for Qui-gon as well

Votes: 116 18.3%
  • I liked the movie, but not him. And I'm not afraid to say it

Votes: 17 2.7%

• Total voters

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I love Qui-Gon. He is probably my favorite Jedi. He is a grey Jedi that is sadly complacent within the Jedi order. He knows the order is all BS, but probably doesn't feel like he can change much.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
He coulda made it happen. Don't let him off the hook!
The problem if you remember was Qui Gin was protecting the queen and hiding from the trade federation. If he frees Anakins mother by force he has to deal with the Hutts AND expose himself to the Trade Federation who were looking for them. It really wasn't an option. He really did want to free Anakins mom though.

Herr Starr

Oct 26, 2017
Norway
He attempts to swindle a starship trader using the Force. I think that kind of slips by people, but it makes him more interesting as a character that he doesn't let morality get in the way of what he sees as his duty.

Oct 29, 2017
I like that he's portrayed more as a gray jedi and that he probably would've done a good job with Anakin.

He's pretty good in the fiction too!

919Z+udTaLL.jpg
Agreed, he showed that he's got a bit more disdain for the jedi establishment then obi wan. It's only speculation, but I think his willingness to buck the rules would have meant he dealt with anakin and his padme situation better. I think anakin never felt comfortable enough with obi wan to talk about it.
Like anakin went to yoda and said "hey someone I love is going to die and I'm scared, what do I do?" And yoda was like "mmm deal with it, you must. Care, I do not'
Of course palp could slip in where he felt like his jedi masters were failing him. I think qui gon could have helped him navigate that situation better.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
The problem if you remember was Qui Gin was protecting the queen and hiding from the trade federation. If he frees Anakins mother by force he has to deal with the Hutts AND expose himself to the Trade Federation who were looking for them. It really wasn't an option. He really did want to free Anakins mom though.

What fucking nonsense?

Watto is a nobody Junker. it's not like he was some major cog in Hutt gangs.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
We didn't even get enough time to like him really. Same with Maul. TPM sucked. They killed off two main characters like that. They should have at least left Maul around. I guess Qui-Gon needed to leave since he was just a teacher. TBH they could have left him out. But then it'd all just be Obi-Wan. Obi was barely there in the first movie. Qui-Gon just replaced him most of the episode. He could have just been a character in name only and had Obi just refer to him in the past-tense.

But I guess there had to be two because "always two there are" bullshit.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
I learned from him

xx0RYEO.gif

and how right he was.

Seriously though I actually really like him as a character, Liam did a decent job with what he had to work with. Despite the hate the film gets I have a soft spot for it.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
A decent and interesting character that didn't get fleshed out really well because of the writing and being in only one film. He should have appeared in Revenge of the Sith as a force ghost, which I believe was the original plan. That he got mentioned in passing as discovering something massively important, well that was disappointing.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
It was the only reason Watto gave up Anakin was win Qui Gon mentioned the Hutts if Watto welched on giving up Anakin. A bet is a bet.
Why the fuck would Qui Gon give a shit if he's not from there and would be long gone before any of the Hutts were aware?

People die on Tatooine every god damn day. Hell, every god damn minute I'm certain someone is being shot there.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Tell Watto you got some fresh slaves for his deplorable ass in the back room here and slice his head clean off and walk away with Anikin's mom and Anakin without an issue. He's a fuckin Jedi. He coulda made it happen.

But, in George's view, you don't have the catalyst for where we head with an eventual Vader so...here we are. Laying it at the feet of Qui-gon.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Dude does nothing except accidentally doom the galaxy by saving Anakin. What a waste of Liam Neeson.

Dec 31, 2017
Tell Watto you got some fresh slaves for his deplorable ass in the back room here and slice his head clean off and walk away with Anikin's mom and Anakin without an issue. He's a fuckin Jedi. He coulda made it happen.

But, in George's view, you don't have the catalyst for where we head with an eventual Vader so...here we are. Laying it at the feet of Qui-gon.

Don't slaves explode or something if they leave without being explicitly allowed and having the explosive disarmed? This was explained in the beginning of the movie I think.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
I've always liked The Phantom Menace. It's The Clone Wars that's the bad one of that trilogy imo. Qui Gon is fine for what he is, I even remember being a bit sad at him dying at the end of the film when I watched it as a kid.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Don't slaves explode or something if they leave without being explicitly allowed and having the explosive disarmed? This was explained in the beginning of the movie I think.
I can't remember it's been too long. Watto is prolly holding the remote. Grab it off the carcass, free them all and escape with moms in the process I should have been a writer.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Meh. No problem with the character, but he just seems wasted in the movie. I guess I would argue that the entire first movie was unnecessary and the trilogy would have been better started later in the timeline.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
My dude literally challenged the entire Jedi belief system and got immortality for it.

He then proceeded to start schooling Yoda, a creature hundreds of years older than him on how the force actually works when you're not bound by shitty dogma.

He's a beast

Duji

Nov 26, 2017
He's barely a character and we barely know anything about him, so there's not much to feel
Not true. Qui Gon is an intensely stubborn, independently minded Jedi on a mission. He's an extremely idealistic type, putting his faith in a young slave boy he hardly knows. Padme points out the Queen would not approve and that he's insane for betting their entire ship on Anakin's podrace, but he doesn't care and flat out says the Queen shouldn't know. He's a guy that doesn't care so much for following the rules to get what he wants. In fact he has no issue openly lying, like cheating Watto out of dice. This paints him in a unique light compared to any other Jedi we see in the movies. He's also contrasted with Obi Wan who also thinks of him kind of nuts for obsessing over Anakin -- it's stuff like this that defines who he is. He's clearly someone who trusts his gut above all else, disregarding both the Queen and the Jedi Council, who clearly find him very annoying. It's part intellectual hubris, part passion. He's like a boneheaded and reckless optimist/believer type; simultaneously his biggest flaw and biggest weakness, which becomes clear later on by the good and bad Anakin wrought by the end of the series.

Feb 15, 2019
His character dropped a notch in my book after I realized it's pronounced Kwhy gon and not Ki/Key gon.

So he went from that dude that got blasted by the cool Darth Maul to that dude with the name that's kinda whatever that got blasted by the cool Darth Maul.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Why the fuck would Qui Gon give a shit if he's not from there and would be long gone before any of the Hutts were aware?

People die on Tatooine every god damn day. Hell, every god damn minute I'm certain someone is being shot there.
The slaves probably have a failsafe on them should they try and escape. Watto letting Anakin go after losing a bet wouldn't be a problem. I just don't see how Qui Gonn could free the slaves and stay hidden from the Trade federation looking for the queen.

I always wondered why didn't the Jedi and Obi Wan go back and free the slaves later. They probably don't give a fuck. Anakins mom would still be alive and maybe Vader never happens.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
He's just like whatever. A bland character, albeit with Neeson's great voice.

Obi-Wan has more personality and charisma all around.

Oct 28, 2017
They should have shown him as a force ghost in Revenge of the Sith when he was talking to Yoda.

Would have made him a legend.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
He was a boring asshole.

"I didn't actually come here to free slaves".

That was an actual line he said. I think the intention was to show that Qui-Gon was much kinder and less uptight than the other Jedi, but that never really comes across on screen. Aside from Anakin he treats most of the other characters with contempt.

He needed to be more like Obi-Wan from ANH. As he is he's just as much of an arrogant prick as the other Jedi except he happens to be obsessed with some random prophecy.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Darth Vader would not have had happened if Qui Gonn was Annie's master.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Dude does nothing except accidentally doom the galaxy by saving Anakin. What a waste of Liam Neeson.

Sidious would have just had a different apprentice who likely would not have had the fatal flaw Vader had in that role. Luke/Leia wouldn't exist either.

It's kinda interesting to think if the different variables that occur based on how TPM works out.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
This man kidnapped a small child on the suspicion that he might fit a prophecy that his particular sect in a religious order believes to be true. And he didn't free Anakin's mom.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't do this often, but to borrow a line from the old Plinker review, "Qui-gon Jin and Obi-Wan Kenobi should have been rolled up into a new character...called Obi-Wan Kenobi".

I didn't have any particular affinity for him and think the move, prequels, and ties to Kenobi's recollection from IV would have all worked better if Jin was just never or at most a council member who plays contrarian to Mace and Yoda.

Garmonbozia

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda of a nothing character really. Liam Neeson does good work with what he's given but there's not much he can do with that script.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
At no fault to the actor, he's a nothing character, like all the other characters in the prequels. The script moves him around and makes him do stuff, but he has nearly no personality on his own.

And what what little we do know of him is that he's the kind of asshole who will save a kid from slaves while leaving his mom there to rot, just because he couldn't be bothered. He basically went "nope, sorry. What a shame" when Anakin asked about his mom because he was rightfully worried. Truly an example of Jedi good and wisdom there.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I like him well enough. Reading Master & Apprentice now and that feeling remains the same. There was certainly potential. But overall I think he, like all of TPM, was unnecessary and counter productive in the end.

The mysterious origin and back story to Anakin wasn't really needed at all. At least in that detail for a whole movie. It was wasted time that kind of had to be reset with AotC. Prequels should have just been Obi-wan and teen Anakin from the start and them dealing with the Clone wars through all three films.

They maybe could have redone things where both Obi and Anakin were Qui Gon's padawans, Obi-Wan graduate to Knight, and developed him further and used his death in like the 2nd film to help catalyze Anakin's fall. But yeah in the end TPM and everything about it just muddled things needlessly.

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
He was a very "go with the flow" Jedi. He pretty much just went wherever the Force told him to go.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I think Qui Gon is fascinating because he's depicted as this maverick Jedi but I'm actuality is kind of a gigantic dick who is just really into the force like your crunchy uncle who drifted back into your life after living in a religious commune for a decade.

You get for real vibes that the rest of the council (who are also, at the time of the prequels, kinda awful bureaucrats) doesn't like him much but has to put up with him because despite it all he seems to know what he is doing and trusts the force enough to pretty much consistently make it out okay. Except on Naboo, obviously.

It's very interesting to see how the canon has attempted to work around Qui-Gon's place in the plot. He isn't a super well developed Jedi, and even in later properties starring him, most of which are great, there still is this vague sense that he is special for reasons that are either ill-defined or purposely left in the dark.

All in all I think Qui-Gon is a really interesting character especially in the context of the Jedi, but I don't know if anything has really delivered on that because a lot of the time he sort of exists as a somewhat transparent plot device rather than a fully fledged character on his own. But that's fine -- he's most interesting when juxtaposed against other Jedi.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
Very interesting character, serving what he perceives to be the will of the Force and not necessarily the dictates of the Order. Obi-Wan remarks that he'd be on the Council if he wasn't so defiant of them on occasion, a prospect that clearly doesn't interest him. The Jedi of his time have become inflexible, unwilling to move on some concepts. Qui-Gon is different, ignoring even Yoda sometimes, though not to the point of disobeying him. Or maybe ignoring is not the right word to use - but certainly he does his own thing when he is convinced he has reason to.

Plus his insistence on helping what other people would identify as "useless" people speaks a lot about his character. Obi-Wan sees his interest in Jar Jar and tries to push his focus elsewhere, telling him they're short on time. But Qui-Gon ignores him. He states that the Gungan may be of use but Obi-Wan's demeanour and words tell us he's not really going to bring him along for how useful he is, but because he genuinely wants to help him. Everyone else is annoyed by Jar Jar - even Qui-Gon at times - but he finds time and reason to save him and bring him along. Other Jedi clearly do not see such people in the same way - and it appears to be a lifelong habit as Obi-Wan notes with some grudging humour later on that, "...we've picked up yet another pathetic life form".

It's obvious that he had to die in order that Anakin falls to the Dark Side. Forgetting any nebulous intentions of freeing Shmi from slavery to ease Anakin's mind (even if he did try to free her initially, which had little to do with Anakin's ease), Dooku tells Obi-Wan that Qui-Gon, "...knew all about the corruption in the Senate". There's no indication that he has any inkling of Palpatine's nature, not any more than any Jedi early in the prequel trilogy, but it seems obvious from Dooku's words that Qui-Gon would keep Anakin away from the Senate, and of course, Palpatine.

Just an interesting character all around. That he was the one who found the secret of immortality ("...through compassion, not greed") and taught it to Yoda and Obi-Wan, which in turn greatly helped Luke, should really have been given more prominence in the film.