• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Controller S > 360 Controller = DS4 > X1

I never was a fan of the Dual Shock until the DS4. It's the best adaptation of the controller yet and I hope Sony takes the criticisms to heart and improves upon it next generation. I don't think X1 is even Microsoft's best controller, lol. Controller S was damn near perfect.

It's all preference, though. Not sure why people are saying asymmetrical is the best format. I am fine with either, to be honest.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Controller S > 360 Controller = DS4 > X1

I never was a fan of the Dual Shock until the DS4. It's the best adaptation of the controller yet and I hope Sony takes the criticisms to heart and improves upon it next generation. I don't think X1 is even Microsoft's best controller, lol. Controller S was damn near perfect.

It's all preference, though. Not sure why people are saying asymmetrical is the best format. I am fine with either, to be honest.
I don't know how you can say that the 360 Controller is in anyway on the same level as the DS4 when the DPad is so awful.

tenor.gif

Ok- Here's a quick test:
Find an object - steering wheel, remote control, pitcher of water, etc. and grab it.

Where are your thumbs at - the top or bottom of the object?

Now make a fist - where are your thumbs at? Above or below all your fingers?

Now, pick up any game controller. Where do your thumbs naturally rest when you're picking it up?

Now please explain to me why any company thought it was ergonomic to put the primary means of movement BELOW your natural hand positioning, forcing you to stretch your thumbs under two-three of your fingers.

It's garbage design. It's literally a flaw that never got fixed.

Last edited:

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Ok- Here's a quick test:
Find an object - steering wheel, remote control, pitcher of water, etc. and grab it.

Now please explain to me why any company thought it was ergonomic to put the primary means of movement BELOW your natural hand positioning, forcing you to stretch your thumbs under two-three of your fingers.

Both hands behave exactly the same but are mirrored, right? Why should a controller have two different stick layouts then? Using your argument, wouldn't it be better if the right stick and the face buttons were swapped?

Both hands behave exactly the same but are mirrored, right? Why should a controller have two different stick layouts then? Using your argument, wouldn't it be better if the right stick and the face buttons were swapped?

It's true, that's also not great design - BUT the right stick is generally less important than the left, as the left is the primary movement.
That does depend entirely on what genre you primarily play, though.

Ideally, both sticks should be up top, similar to the Wii U Pro, which puts the face buttons a bit below the stick, but not enough to strain.
Also, you don't have to make circular motions with your thumbs when pressing the face buttons.

When the sticks are below everything, it forces the thumb to lose a degree of movement, as the joint of your thumb is already partially extended from reaching downward.

Try making circles with your thumbs in a "thumbs up" hand posture, and then try the same movement in that posture by reaching down to about your ring finger. It becomes clear that something is not the same.

While I'm at it, all triggers should be on the back of the controllers, not the top.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot that I dislike about the DualShock 4, but the XB1 pads lacking a gyro makes them a non-starter for me. The touchpad is occasionally useful too.
The XB1 pads could be the best dual-analog controllers ever, but that doesn't matter when analog sticks are outdated technology.

Both hands behave exactly the same but are mirrored, right?
In most games the left stick is mostly used for vertical motion while the right stick prioritizes horizontal motion.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
I prefer where the sticks are on the dual shock. Also the shoulder buttons on the Xbox Controller are bad.

Oct 30, 2017
i like both for different reasons but hell if i can understand how anyone plays, say, dark souls with an XB1 controller. the bumpers are garbage for any control scheme that requires them as a primary input.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the standard DS4 to the standard Xbox One controller, but the Elite is the best controller I've ever used.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok- Here's a quick test:

Now, pick up any game controller. Where do your thumbs naturally rest when you're picking it up?

You have some serious inability accepting that it isn't a flaw to us because a lot of us are saying that it's better this way than the Xbox controller. We don't care what you think is better because that's your preference - stop trying to convince people that they're wrong for not liking the same shit.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I will always prefer symmetrical sticks over asymmetrical no matter anything else. Maybe the Gamecube controller being an exception.

I don't care that much about confort tbh, a snes controller is good enough for me at this aspect.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Couldn't agree any more.

I actively will avoid playing playstation games, very much in part because of the terrible controllers. It's such an awkward, unergonomic way to position your thumbs. And the split, yet single piece D-pad is a travesty.

They literally just stuck two analogue sticks on wherever they could find space on that thing in the 90's and left them there.

Wretched design that should have been redesigned with the PS2.
Lol you're so wrong I can't even begin to reply.

Jun 23, 2019
Ok- Here's a quick test:

"Literally a flaw."

So wouldn't the Wii U Pro Controller basically prove your entire argument incorrect since the thumb sticks are symmetrical and above the buttons? Not to mention, the Xbox controller putting your thumbs out is position as well?

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
X1 bumpers suck, as does the dpad (inexcusable at this point). Nothing sucks on the DS4. While I find the X1 controller is better at almost everything, the DS4 is a better bet and is more versatile. Simple, really.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
So it seems that many people have told you that the PS4 controller is indeed better than the XBO one OP.
It's just preference though isn't it at the end of the day.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it seems that many people have told you that the PS4 controller is indeed better than the XBO one OP.
It's just preference though isn't it at the end of the day.
Some people here cannot comprehend the fact that a lot of us prefer the DS4 and *gasp* love it. They're trying to convince us to believe otherwise because we have to somehow be wrong.

I really dislike the Xbox controller for lots of reasons but it's not like I don't believe that some people love it. That's great for them - you don't see me trying to convince them that they're wrong for feeling that way.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I'm OK with all current gen controller offerings, hell, even the 360 controller still is a decent option, but I largely prefer the DS4. And that comes from somebody that absolutely hated the DS3.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Some people here cannot comprehend the fact that a lot of us prefer the DS4 and *gasp* love it. They're trying to convince us to believe otherwise because we have to somehow be wrong.

I really dislike the Xbox controller for lots of reasons but it's not like I don't believe that some people love it. That's great for them - you don't see me trying to convince them that they're wrong for feeling that way.
I only game on PS4 so I've no idea which is 'better'.....I like the DS4 though,no problems with it.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
DS4 has a gyro so for PC use it's automatically a better controller in my book.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
OP has my axe

I can't stand PS controllers from any gen, although I understand how one would become acclimated to mediocrity after enough time

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
I prefer DS4 > standard X1 but with all the extra features I like Elite Series 2 > DS4. I think my gripe with the X1 is that the sticks are too loose on standard, and the grip area is too husky on all of them. DS4 is a slender beast.

Jul 10, 2018
how? the same way I can tell you that maybe you shouldn't make a new thread for every opinion that travels through your head. I don't mean animosity here, but like if you've never owned a Microsoft console, like I never have, it's not even a thing.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I'm pretty sure the op is joking, because this question is fucking stupid. It's all a matter of preference and opinion.

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
XB1 d-pad still lacks behind PS4.

PS4 has my all time favorite D-pad actually. Perfect for tetris and probably Mario if I got an adapter for my switch.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why would you use the stadia controller as an example of a manufacturer mimicking MS? it looks like a dualshock 4 without the touchpad. Right down the symmetrical analogue sticks.

Tbh if it wasn't for the shitty feeling bumpers and d-pad and asymmetrical analogue sticks, I'd probably agree that the Xbox controller is the better controller. But until that stuff changes I'll continue to prefer the DS4. xbox isn't some unusable travesty or something. But if I could use either for any game on any system. I'd definitely be picking up the dualshock.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
The PS Controller still carrying its heritage for being a controller without analog sticks is ... interesting.

I prefer the Switch/Xbox Controllers for it's evolution (3D being the main focus now), still for 2D I graphics my SN30 Pro (+).

I see how some games focus on dual analog but then I'd prefer the Wii U Pro Controller which wasn't very popular.

ejo

Oct 27, 2017
Hawaii
you don't have to listen to me, but i'll tell you after a thousand hours of gaming on both platforms. i like the DS4 better.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I can't stand the clicky feel of the D-pad and bumpers on the Xbox One controller. The DualShock 4 is probably the most comfortable and responsive controller I have ever used.

John64

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I prefer the Xbox One controller for first person shooters and the DS4 for everything else, including third-person action games.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
Ive never owned an Xbox console so its not a fair comparison for me to make, though I have the switch pro controller...I just really dont get why people like asymmetrical sticks so much. Wouldnt it be better to have your hands symmetrical to one another? Whats the advantage?

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I don't mind the Xbox asymmetrical sticks, never had problems with them although I've always been a Playstation guy.

But the bumpers, the d-pad and the shape/response of the front buttons make me prefer the PS4 controller.

What really kills my hands is playing the Switch portable.

Lol you're so wrong I can't even begin to reply.

Please try!

I am genuinely curious about other people's justifications, even though I'll likely disagree!

"Literally a flaw."

So wouldn't the Wii U Pro Controller basically prove your entire argument incorrect since the thumb sticks are symmetrical and above the buttons? Not to mention, the Xbox controller putting your thumbs out is position as well?

I'd like to think I'm being hyperbolic, but it very much seems like Sony didn't want to redesign their first PS1 controller, so just plopped the sticks at the bottom of the controller.

As for the Wii U, I tried to address this in a previous post, but basically, putting the analogue sticks below forces your thumb joint into a more limited range of motion - which I would consider a hindrance to moving in circular motions, especially compared to when your thumbs are in a "thumbs up" posture.

Placing the buttons below, while still not ideal, at least to me, you need much less range of motion to press down. It's just about moving your thumb to a different button at that point.

Yes, they randomly put them... *checks notes* where your thumbs naturally land.

That sounds strange...your thumbs naturally align horizontally with your middle finger and ring finger?!

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
Only thing in like better about dual shock 4 is the share button other than that I don't mind either one.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
That makes for an asymmetrical grip tho. At least I use to hold left hand on joystick right hand on buttons. When I want to move the camera around while I move my character on a 3rd person view, on a Ps4 controller, my thumbs stumble with each other (I have fat worker fingers) while on the xbox one, my thumbs are far apart.

wzs6MJl.jpg
L2ZUEuR.jpg

I took these pics of holding a DS3 back in the old place...

YOp6obb.jpg

The sticks are supposed to be held with the tip of the fingers, not with the joints, and given that the sticks are closer to each other than in DS4, I've never had an issue with thumbs stumbling with each other. Even in the middle image, where they're held towards each other, which is probably something you'd rarely do in reality, as you're more likely to view where you're going to. It might be a more common occurrence in twin-stick shooters, but it was never an issue in Resogun for me.

In comparison, the hard concave edges on the 360 pad's sticks started to hurt my thumbs after a while. The same goes for the hard convex ABXY buttons, which never happens with DS pad's flat action buttons. I actually preferred the DS3's convex sticks over the DS4's, and I've found the latter to be better after I put convex soft tips on top of them. That way my thumbs don't slip that easily in games like Resogun.

And like someone already said, if you're playing modern 3D games (e.g. Souls-likes, 3rd person action-adventures, shooters), you're more likely to hold your thumbs on the sticks the most of the time, and use the shoulder buttons for actions. Only occasionally using the action buttons for jump, dodge, or crouch. In that sense, the symmetrical design is just more natural, and that's also what Google chose, as shown in the OP.