• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

You good around needles?

• No biggie, get in there doc.

Votes: 232 71.2%
  • I'd rather not.

Votes: 52 16.0%
  • Please get me away from here!

Votes: 41 12.6%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Went to the doctor this weekend and had to get some blood work done, my veins are really deep and they had trouble finding them. In total had to get poked three times in different spots (the left hand, and both above the elbow areas). They finally found it after digging around for thirty seconds in my left arm.

Thing is, needles have never bothered me even when I'm a kid. Getting vaccinated and antibiotics growing up was never a chore for me (plus got that sweet sweet lollipop). Doctors were apologizing the whole time for not being able to find it and I was just telling them to get in there real good with it. No worries.

Can you handle needles, era?

Oct 28, 2017
I've always been fine with needles and patient with needing multiple sticks, but now recently for medical reasons I've been sticking an inch-long needle myself into my own thigh once every two weeks so I'm pretty sure I've graduated to the maximum difficulty level re: tolerating needles

signal

Oct 28, 2017
I can't handle watching them in films but I can watch them go into my own arm just fine.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Used to donate blood every three months (not allowed to anymore) & I have a couple of tattoos, so I guess I am fine with them ;)

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
If needles are sterile and clean (and thankfully they always are lol) then I have no problem with them. I had an inexpirienced nurse missing my vein before tho, can see why it can be a deal breaker for some.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Hate em. Haaaate them. I have to look away like a kid.

It's getting blood taken that is the worst, makes me feel nauseous just thinking about it.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Vaccine needles don't bother me at all but I can't watch the needle go in to give blood because I tense up in anticipation of it. I just look away then once it's in I'm fine to look at it.

Illenium

Aug 7, 2019
I studied phlebotomy for a little bit and understood the dynamics of drawing blood and wow after learning it, I realized a lot of these nurses in doctor offices are super uneducated.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Went to the doctor this weekend and had to get some blood work done, my veins are really deep and they had trouble finding them. In total had to get poked three times in different spots (the left hand, and both above the elbow areas). They finally found it after digging around for thirty seconds in my left arm.

Thing is, needles have never bothered me even when I'm a kid. Getting vaccinated and antibiotics growing up was never a chore for me (plus got that sweet sweet lollipop). Doctors were apologizing the whole time for not being able to find it and I was just telling them to get in there real good with it. No worries.

Can you handle needles, era?
I have the exact same issue. I had to get regular checkups due to my work, and I've been rescheduled various time because they could find my veins lol
I'm OK with them. Some disconfort at the start, but no biggie.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Terrified. I actively avoid going to the doctor unless I'm exceptionally ill on the off chance that they need to draw some blood.

aliengmr

Oct 26, 2017
I think my only fear related to them is involuntary flinching. Needles don't bother me at all, I went through a crazy piercing phase many years ago. But I always worry that I'll flinch, it's weird.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
There was a time I had to be needled 4 times because the dude couldn't get a proper vein, it irritated me a bit, that's about it.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I don't like the big ones like the ones used in blood drives but the standard sized injection needles are fine.

I recently broke/slashed my finger and they had to stick a needle into my finger 6 damn times to get enough lidocaine in there. it was ridiculous but I stopped caring after the first couple stabs.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
Having drawn peoples blood myself, there's an art to it. Some people are freakin wizards at it.

I work in the lab, and nothing pains me more than having to get someone redrawn because the blood got hemolyzed. Particularly for babies. It's the worst.

I have no problem with needles.

S3RC

Sep 17, 2019
I hated them a lot when I was a child but now I tolerate them.

Though I did faint the first time I got blood drawn about a year ago.

KingBrave

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I used to be frightened of needles so bad that I'd faint. But with all my health problems I get tons of blood work each month and I'm a diabetic and I get eye injections ever 6 weeks so I got over that shit pretty quick.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm cool with getting them but refuse to look at them going into my arm. Not due to being scared or feeling sick, but because the one time I did watch, I instinctively tensed my arm and the nurse got angry at me, so I don't do it anymore lmao.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Yeah im fine with them, ive given blood and gotten plenty of jabs in my time. Gonna get the flu vaccine this year again.
One thing I do get increasingly nervous about though, is dentists underestimating my tolerance to local anaesthetics.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Nope. That really gets under my skin.

I can't even look when somebody else is getting a needle.

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
8 out of 10 times, I pass out.

I had a traumatising experience with needles at hospital when I was in a bicycle accident many years ago, and I still have bad 'flashback' moments of that. I truly wish I could forget all about it.

The thought of a sharp object piercing your body is just awful...

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I stare fixedly at the needle going in when i give blood every 3 months, and i doesn't bother me.

It's also the only time i see daytime tv and it is hypnotic

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if it's a needle in the eye?

n6FG8W.gif

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
terrible with needles but have had to have a lot of blood tests in the past year or so and have realised that listening to music whilst waiting distracts me, plus lying down when it's taken helps. last vaccine i had, a flu jab about a year ago, caused me to faint in the pharmacy.
tattoos are fine though, quite enjoy that feeling.

Tabby

Oct 25, 2017
I get my blood drawn regularly because of my medication.

I love needles, it's relaxing.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i thought this would be about sewing

im good with shots

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Got four allergy shots every week for a year when I was growing up, eventually got down to four per month. That'll take any fear of needles right out the door in a hurry, believe you me.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
No biggie these days, but when I was a kid I used to be horrified of needles. I used to lock myself up in the bathroom until they had to forcefully open the door, take me back to the room and inject the needle.

Belladonna

Oct 30, 2017
I have to avert my eyes any time I see them. However, never had issue with shots as long as I don't look at it being done.

Oct 27, 2017
My life is needles. Allergy therapy, testosterone therapy, migraine shots (Emgality), blood work... I got over any fear I might have had at a young age.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Never had a problem with it. However sometimes it's annoying when the nurse can't find a good vein to draw from and they just poke and poke, I once had a nurse try FIVE times til another came in and got it in the first try...

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Let's just say that on more than one occasion I've required a Valium to calm me down enough to have my blood drawn.

Aranath

Jan 15, 2018
I get a little uncomfortable with shots and blood draws but I've also got loads of tattoos too. I don't really equate the two, though. Tattoo needles barely go in your skin so it just feels more like a cat scratch than being poked and stabbed.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
I've had a bunch of health issues in the past, so they are routine now. Once a month I get a testosterone injection, and depending on my levels either get my finger poked, or blood drawn to check how my blood thinners are doing.

Some people are so good I can't tell I've been stuck, while others I can feel it but not too bad.

The worst recently was an IV at the ER. Not sure if it was just the size of the needle or what, but I felt that one.