• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
how many times have we gone through this, where Sony states "target 60fps" and people act like it's gonna be a mess, and then Digital Foundry finds it's 60fps like 99% of the time

they only say "target" because of legal liability, they got sued for it before and don't want it to happen again because of minor framerate dips
Well I already replied to that.
I didn't know only (?) Sony markets it like this.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
we-dont-care.gif

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
So nothing groundbreaking that other PS5 games haven't done yet. Hoping this plays super smoother on performance mode.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
It's kinda funny I turned off adaptive trigger and haptic feedback (vibration) ... even though those two are the main features of the dualsense

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Shut it down everyone. Lord Bandi says there is nothing to see here. Thread closed.

On topic, I think this game will perform greatly on PS5 and will probably be one of the best looking "next gen" games released so far.
If the gameplay demo is anything to go by it will be easily the best looking game when it comes it. There was some seriously good looking stuff in that demo segment alone and the art style is just as fantastic as in the first game IMHO. No way I am playing this in performance mode. Give me all the beauty this game has to offer.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think so. We can expect normal mode to be 30, as the released gameplay footage demonstrated. Performance mode will be the 60fps mode. Same as all the other PS5 games so far.

I read the paragraph too fast and also initially thought that default mode would aim for 60 as well so I get what you're saying.
It's painfully obvious on re-read. Doh!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this gets into spoiler territory so I could understand why they would keep it close but so far only using the SSD for fast loading is disappointing.

Tomcoleman545

Jan 3, 2020
I guess this gets into spoiler territory so I could understand why they would keep it close but so far only using the SSD for fast loading is disappointing.
What was you expecting? It's cross gen so they can't do something crazy as the game has been designed with a PS4 in mind.

Edit: btw fast loading is definitely a game changer, especially if it follows sony first party's track record
pretty much instant loading.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost all cross-gen though.
Demon souls , ratchet , deathloop, returnal just recently aren't cross gen

anyway. We are at a poly they it doesn't matter. Best looking games can be cross gen. It's just a matter le ramping up the details , resolution / framerate and add or not raytracing. With decreased load times

that's all I'm asking for

Lord Bandi

Apr 30, 2020
User Warned: Hostility; Thread Whining
Shut it down everyone. Lord Bandi says there is nothing to see here. Thread closed.

On topic, I think this game will perform greatly on PS5 and will probably be one of the best looking "next gen" games released so far.

its fine if you want to join everyone in circle jerking basic features of PS5, my point is if they would confirmed something new that we didn't know about it woulda been more exciting.

example, them adding in 40fps mode like they Insomniac used in Ratchet and Clank would be new news, all this entire post was just a rehash of stuff…

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping the 60fps mode is checkerboard 4K like the first game. Replaying it now and the image quality is great

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Here's hoping 30fps with Ray Tracing and 60fps without Ray Tracing.

I really do not see the actual benefit of Ray Tracing as of yet, especially not when I need to sacrifice 60fps for it.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Hoping the 60fps mode is checkerboard 4K like the first game. Replaying it now and the image quality is great
I disagree, I think the image quality is really poor in HZD. Barely even looks 1440p. CB has come a very long way since HZD, which was one of the first implementations on the Pro. So HFW should be leap and bounds ahead in that area.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Its crazy how great this game look , we going to get some great stuff later in the PS5 life

Nov 9, 2017
its fine if you want to join everyone in circle jerking basic features of PS5, my point is if they would confirmed something new that we didn't know about it woulda been more exciting.

example, them adding in 40fps mode like they Insomniac used in Ratchet and Clank would be new news, all this entire post was just a rehash of stuff…

Really? Do you really give your permission to allow me to keep posting on this topic? Thanks very much sir!

If you don't like the topic, just post somewhere else. It's a perfectly legitimate discussion. Many people have concerns about the differences between the PS4 and PS5 versions of this game and how it was specifically developed for next gen.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree, I think the image quality is really poor in HZD. Barely even looks 1440p. CB has come a very long way since HZD, which was one of the first implementations on the Pro. So HFW should be leap and bounds ahead in that area.
Have you played it on PS5? At 60fps it works better since frames are closer together and it looks really sharp

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
What was you expecting? It's cross gen so they can't do something crazy as the game has been designed with a PS4 in mind.

Edit: btw fast loading is definitely a game changer, especially if it follows sony first party's track record
pretty much instant loading.
Faster methods of travel is the obvious thing.

Horizon 3 it is then.

Though TBH if I get to ride on a Thunderjaw I will be happy enough. Anything more than not-horse, not-cow, and not-goat would be nice.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Faster methods of travel is the obvious thing.

Horizon 3 it is then.
Yep. Cross-gen killed that opportunity. You'll get your slow-ass holo-glider and you'll like it =P

Horizon 3 will indeed be glorious with all the gameplay opportunities opened up by flight. If Horizon is what they want to work on at all after this game ships. Maybe they'll want a breather from the IP?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Though TBH if I get to ride on a Thunderjaw I will be happy enough. Anything more than not-horse, not-cow, and not-goat would be nice.

Well we saw we could ride the Clawstrider, so hopefully they've expanded the number of machines you can mount. And expanded the mount system too. I'd like to be able to have a persistent mount that you can call in battle and customize, like Chocobos in FFXIV

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well we saw we could ride the Clawstrider, so hopefully they've expanded the number of machines you can mount. And expanded the mount system too. I'd like to be able to have a persistent mount that you can call in battle and customize, like Chocobos in FFXIV
There is so much potential there. It would be insane if they under utilized it again.

OP
OP
Loudninja

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Cross-gen killed that opportunity. You'll get your slow-ass holo-glider and you'll like it =P

Horizon 3 will indeed be glorious with all the gameplay opportunities opened up by flight. If Horizon is what they want to work on at all after this game ships. Maybe they'll want a breather from the IP?
Or maybe the devs didn't want to add it? a game where everything is climbable and a game where you explode underwater cities it makes no sense.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Or maybe the devs didn't want to add it?

It becomes a very different game when you add the ability to just fly everywhere you want so yeah, it's possible that the flying mounts people are envisioning (hop on a Stormbird and fly across the entire map) may just not be something they want. I'm still not convinced that flying mounts are completely absent, those Sunwings or whatever look perfect for being able to cross short distances or easily reach certain heights to avoid having to climb 100% of the time, and that can be done on PS4

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Or maybe the devs didn't want to add it? a game where everything is climbable and a game where you explode underwater cities it makes no sense.
On the contrary, when the game world is designed for everywhere to be accessible like that, and taming machines for use as mounts is well established, it makes flight a really logical thing to include. The world design supports it, the lore supports it, and of course it would be fun as hell as an end-game taming ability to unlock in the skill tree. It's just not possible at any real speed on the PS4 with this level of graphical fidelity, so it's not surprising to see it absent. Whether the devs wanted it in or not, the opportunity for its inclusion isn't an option.

Venture

Oct 25, 2017
This is way up there on my wish list. It seems like they were moving in that direction with Frozen Wilds, adding abilities like repairing your mount and boosting it's health.

I also hope they make mounted combat a lot more viable. It's way too easy to get knocked off your mount. There's also some interesting stuff they could do with the ropecaster or the new grappling thingy while riding.