• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
A full blown sequel? These absolute madmen.

I'm genuinely sad about it not coming to every platform simultenously, partly because my friend might just confiscate my console for a while and I'm only half-joking about that fear.

In the 'dev blog' video they're saying they simply cannot guarantee other consoles yet because they're only 3 people and have their hands full already. They're certainly interested in getting it out on more but can't commit to anything yet.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Day 1, whenever that may be, still need to 112% Hollow Knight, not too far off it either

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In the 'dev blog' video they're saying they simply cannot guarantee other consoles yet because they're only 3 people and have their hands full already. They're certainly interested in getting it out on more but can't commit to anything yet.

Loyalty as well perhaps, Switch got it first as it was promised and it met the pledge for the Wii U version (which got switched to, well the Switch), its cool that its free for backers, I wish I had now

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
I fully understand that.

I'm frankly surprised they were able to incorporate a console into the initial release at all. Goddamn these guys go all in.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What is the reason behind the XB1 and PS4 versions not being available day one? That one doesn't make too much sense? Hollow Knight had a head start on NSW is it a paid timed exclusive for Nintendo or it is easier to code the game for?

The obvious reason would be it sold much better on switch. It's a three person team, they can only do so much work.

TongPoo

Jul 14, 2018
This is really cool! Will buy after I finish the first game though... Probably it will take a while..

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
How can such a big game not have a physical release yet?! Deserves it, I wish to purchase it again lol.

Should be in regular stores too, not LR stuff.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
The obvious reason would be it sold much better on switch. It's a three person team, they can only do so much work.
It came out first on Switch though no? Game has been out longer so it would naturally sell more.

I totally understand the three team reason though. My preference is to buy HK on PS4 since I already have the base game on there so hopefully the wait isn't too long.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It came out first on Switch though no? Game has been out longer so it would naturally sell more.

I totally understand the three team reason though. My preference is to buy HK on PS4 since I already have the base game on there so hopefully the wait isn't too long.
I hope so too and I'm a Switch only owner.

I don't wanna have my console taken away. Like my friend is REALLY into Hollow Knight.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit yes, did they give a release window?

Ugh knowing Team Cherry this is gonna be like $5 but like $70 worth of content.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
So... with this being a full sequel and it launching on Switch day 1, it did increase the (probably very low) odds of a Hollow Knight character (The Knight / Hornet) making it into Smash? Esp. if there's this marketing aspect to it like with Persona 5...

I mean, it's still very unlikely I'd say but the thought just came to me.

Oct 25, 2017

Loyalty as well perhaps, Switch got it first as it was promised and it met the pledge for the Wii U version (which got switched to, well the Switch), its cool that its free for backers, I wish I had now

It's literally a small team and because the ports were handled by an external company while PC and Switch were done by Team Cherry. So it's probably not an immediate priority.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
So... with this being a full sequel and it launching on Switch day 1, it did increase the (probably very low) odds of a Hollow Knight character (The Knight / Hornet) making it into Smash? Esp. if there's this marketing aspect to it like with Persona 5...

Honestly, some people would whine about some upstart indie guy forcing his way into Smash when even the grand poster boy of indies couldn't make it, but boy would I love it.

Extremely unlikely though.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That looks really cool. Hornet was a nice character altogether so more of her is a good thing.

What is the reason behind the XB1 and PS4 versions not being available day one? That one doesn't make too much sense? Hollow Knight had a head start on NSW is it a paid timed exclusive for Nintendo or it is easier to code the game for?
they are only three people.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It set the switch charts on fire and has constantly been in the top selling charts there since release.

Meanwhile hollow knight didn't chart on PS4 in release month, or the month after, at least in the US, https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/10/10/playstation-store-septembers-top-downloads-3/
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/11/08/playstation-store-octobers-top-downloads-3/

So it's not hard to see how they chose a platform, or why Nintendos audience might be more interested in a metroidvania than the others.

They also had a Nintendo version as a Kickstarter goal (although it was Wii u at the time) and didn't reach what they needed for a Sony one, way back when, which is why it got prioritised the first time.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017

Hollow Knight as outsold Persona 5, and has sold infinitely more on switch, so it doesn't seem farfetched to me.

Honestly, some people would whine about some upstart indie guy forcing his way into Smash when even the grand poster boy of indies couldn't make it, but boy would I love it.

Extremely unlikely though.

Who is the Indies poster boy?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Team Cherry is insane. How do they do it? They must have an insanely well optimized workflow. An entirely new effing-game.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Team Cherry is insane. How do they do it? They must have an insanely well optimized workflow. An entirely new effing-game.

And their creativity knows no bounds. The dev diary has them stating that they basically have so many ideas that even coming up with the >150 new enemies for the sequel wasn't an issue whatsoever.

They're legit game dev wizards to me.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Well Team Cherry, you have my money resevered. Just hit me up with a heads-up when you have a date ... but by all means, take the time you need.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Looks incredible. Instantly my most anticipated game of the year, unless it's the same year as Death Stranding.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Yeah, uh, going by shovel knights sales numbers, he's out of a job.

They were only reportedly over 2m by April 2018.

Hollow knight is the captain now.
Not to derail the thread, but i think Shovel Knight has suffered a bit because, despite making effectively three or four new campaigns, they've all been three and the game rarely hits a huge sale, and has lost WOM. Still a great game though, and i imagine, the actual sequel will sell loads.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Ohhh, I see. Well, Hollow Knight has outsold that now, so time to change those posters over.

Though I do love me some Shovel Knight.
Yeah, uh, going by shovel knights sales numbers, he's out of a job.

They were only reportedly over 2m by April 2018.

Hollow knight is the captain now.
D-dudes, duuuudes...

... don't you dare make believe that Hollow Knight in Smash is a thing that could happen. Don't you dare put that hope into my heart!

DOA

Oct 26, 2017
I WANT IT NOW!!!

Hollow Knight is such a great game, and i can't wait for this to come

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking shit what a trailer. AND A FULL SEQUEL AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH. THIS GOT ME MORE HYPED THAN ANYTHING IN THE NINTENDO DIRECT