• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I wonder if somewhere there's at least a pdf collecting all the Iwata Asks. IIIRC I found one online years ago but it was kinda of a mess to read even on a tablet.
I hear there's also some I.A. that weren't translated officially?

I'd easily fork $100 for a premium edition of all the Iwata Asks in a coffee-table book form

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I felt compelled to convert that cute Iwata animation to gif form, so enjoy

noVSKr1.gif

code-named "iwatasan" :(

Made by ©100%ORANGE , a duo of illustrators, apparently: Official Site

I really hope the book gets an official translation!

Jaysc

Oct 25, 2017
I pre-ordered the Japanese version. Most likely i'll get an the english copy too if that comes out, but I really want a japanese copy to read too.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if somewhere there's at least a pdf collecting all the Iwata Asks. IIIRC I found one online years ago but it was kinda of a mess to read even on a tablet.
I hear there's also some I.A. that weren't translated officially?

I'd easily fork $100 for a premium edition of all the Iwata Asks in a coffee-table book form

I've been toying with layout ideas for a collected edition for a while now, but I've never had the free time to put into it. Between kids and design work for comic reprints, I've got fairly limited extra time and a project like a collected IA would be a big commitment. Seeing this made me think that I should really pull my finger out and get on with it though...

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
To clarify, orders begin July 7th on the Hobonichi Store site and include a keychain with the Iwata illustration.

It will be sold in TOBICHI book stores (Tokyo/Kyoto) from July 23rd.

Regular book store distribution begins on July 30th.

Amazon is taking pre-orders and it is currently the best-selling business biography.
I was about to ask if you had a pre-order link since I need that keychain but then I saw the date. :)
I've been toying with layout ideas for a collected edition for a while now, but I've never had the free time to put into it. Between kids and design work for comic reprints, I've got fairly limited extra time and a project like a collected IA would be a big commitment. Seeing this made me think that I should really pull my finger out and get on with it though...
Anything we can do to help it happen? Donations?

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh and the official website for the book does seem to confirm that parts are derived from Iwata Asks:
machine translation said:
Former president of Nintendo,
I made a book summarizing the words of Iwata Akira.
I decided to put it out, and it
took me a long time. We received approval from

Nintendo Co., Ltd. and Mr.
Iwata's family, and we
have been moving forward little by little, but
we can finally inform you. The words of Mr. Iwata were excerpted and reorganized from among

the many interviews published in the daily Itoi newspaper,
and from the "President's Geek" of the Nintendo official page
Not sure what President's Geek is, maybe President's Speak? I'm not aware of any section of the NCL website that was called that, so I have to assume that's Iwata Asks stuff.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I ordered it from Amazon Japan. The process is actually quite simple using google translate on the site. I made my account, put the item in my cart and when I went to shipping it gave me an option for an international address. After entering the address it asked to me enter a card and it actually recognized I was using an American card and asked if I wanted to pay in USD. All pretty straight forward.

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it's a piece of cake, especially for items that ship to the US with their global priority shipping. Can't get the keychain from Amazon JP, though.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Anything we can do to help it happen? Donations?

Nothing like that, I think. I'm going to have another look at the work involved and see if I can plan something out. My original idea was to compile everything and make it available as a PDF with an invitation for people to donate to an appropriate cancer charity, but I wasn't sure of whether I'd need to reach out to Nintendo. Between that and lack of time it got stuck on the back-burner, but I think I'll see if I can get it moving again - I got a huge amount of entertainment out of the Iwata Asks series, and it would be nice to help make them available in an easier to read format...

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing like that, I think. I'm going to have another look at the work involved and see if I can plan something out. My original idea was to compile everything and make it available as a PDF with an invitation for people to donate to an appropriate cancer charity, but I wasn't sure of whether I'd need to reach out to Nintendo. Between that and lack of time it got stuck on the back-burner, but I think I'll see if I can get it moving again - I got a huge amount of entertainment out of the Iwata Asks series, and it would be nice to help make them available in an easier to read format...
That would be amazing. Keep us posted on if there's anything we can do!

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
There are some Iwata Asks interviews that didn't left Japan, yeah. (Mostly for Japan-exclusive content, but there's a notable one like Rhythm Heaven Megamix) But there should be a fan-translation for most of them.

Yeah, I absolutely need that RHM one!
I was able to get epub files for all the other ones, but I really REALLY want a printed book out of them

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up that this is now available to purchase on the Hobonichi Store for just shy of 2000円. Comes with a keychain.
Thanks! Anyone interested in this from the US, use a forwarding service. Tenso worked just fine but it wouldn't ship to a US address. That keychain was too great to pass up.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Ordered the book, and threw in a new Hobonichi as well so I can be happy about it for 2 weeks and then ignore it for the rest of the year because that's been the fate of my last two/three? Hobonichis (:

I was able to ship everything to Europe btw, so I don't think using a forwarding service like Tenso is absolutely neccessary. I might regret shipping directly though, pretty sure customs will screw me over.

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ordered the book, and threw in a new Hobonichi as well so I can be happy about it for 2 weeks and then ignore it for the rest of the year because that's been the fate of my last two/three? Hobonichis (:

I was able to ship everything to Europe btw, so I don't think using a forwarding service like Tenso is absolutely neccessary. I might regret shipping directly though, pretty sure customs will screw me over.
I wonder if that's because you had the planner in there. Those ship internationally, while the Iwata book doesn't seem to. Or maybe because it's a pre-order? All I know is I couldn't get it to proceed to the next step with my US address in there, but when I put in a Japanese one it went fine.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if that's because you had the planner in there. Those ship internationally, while the Iwata book doesn't seem to. Or maybe because it's a pre-order? All I know is I couldn't get it to proceed to the next step with my US address in there, but when I put in a Japanese one it went fine.
Hmm yeah that could be it. I hope it doesn't mess with my order :P. We'll see!
Why not use it as a diary rather than an agenda? I've used it for that and it's been working great for me the past months.
I've always used it as a diary actually! But the days fly by so fast that I end up skipping so many days, feel bad about it, and end up writing nothing at all. I should just accept that I can't write something every single day and it's ok to have blank pages :P.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm yeah that could be it. I hope it doesn't mess with my order :P. We'll see!

I've always used it as a diary actually! But the days fly by so fast that I end up skipping so many days, feel bad about it, and end up writing nothing at all. I should just accept that I can't write something every single day and it's ok to have blank pages :P.
This was also me so I ended up getting a Techo Weeks in stead of a Techo Planner. Page on the left is the whole week split into seven sections for each day and the right page is just blank.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand

Posted somewhere here yet?
Some quote there tears right through your heart.
"Since he passed away, Nintendo has been doing just fine," says Miyamoto. "He left many words and structures that live on in the work of our younger employees today. The only problem is that, if there is some good-for-nothing idea I come up with over the weekend, I have no one to share it with the next Monday. That I can no longer hear him say 'Oh, about that thing…' is a bit of a problem for me. It makes me sad."

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Read it earlier, really wonderful stuff. My book should be here in a week or so. Here's to an English version!

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just got my copy from the Hobonichi store:

image.png

image.png

The key chain is super-tiny and cute.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Meanwhile my order hasn't even shipped yet... Even though I ordered on the day the pre-orders went live :/

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I wish NoA localized this. It would of course be a niche item, but I am sure it would be a cathartic passion project for the Treehouse, and I know it would find a niche audience in the US.