• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
More politics in games? Oh come on now, MW was not enough apparently.

Kojima should go back to make apolitical games like Metal Gear Solid.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe Hideo intentionally created such a divisive game in order to emulate american politics???

That review thread is basically a polarised political thread.

Oct 27, 2017
Another reason to love this game then?

i'm excited to move on from the attacking-reviewers-for-their-opinions-or-claiming-this-game-is-for-true-intellectuals-only-and-if-you-dont-get-it-youre-just-dumb phase
We will never move on from that phase.
Also, kojima's subtext has been pretty freshman philosophy class stoner-idea level obvious shit, as Giant Bomb was pointing out in their discussion.
So which is it? Are people too dumb or too smart for this game?

I dunno, people really wanna hate this game for some reason. People hate new things.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Another reason to love this game then?

We will never move on from that phase.

I dunno, people really wanna hate this game for some reason. People hate new things.

People hate new things, specially if they're exclusives to other platforms.

They also hate Kojima for whatever reason.

You add to that that the scores are much higher than they expected, specially after reading some of those reviews, and Death Stranding is like the perfect storm of vitriol

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This game isn't political. - Yeah right, how dare they claim that.

This game is in response to the current political climate. - Yeah right. Whatever.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
People hate new things, specially if they're exclusives to other platforms.

They also hate Kojima for whatever reason.

You add to that that the scores are much higher than they expected, specially after reading some of those reviews, and Death Stranding is like the perfect storm of vitriol

You gotta love when people dismiss criticism like this...

Also most people thought the game would score higher than it did so I'm not sure where you are getting that from.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
You gotta love when people dismiss criticism like this...

Also most people thought the game would score higher than it did so I'm not sure where you are getting that from.

What criticism, if you and I haven't played the game? And most of the people hammering the game over and over have no intention to!

They don't really have any valid criticisms, yet..

And we have people here saying Kojima is trying to get into the "Hating Trump and Brexit" bandwagons...like, really??

A game about "connecting people in the 21st Century", seems pretty clear to me.

But noo, Kojima can't do no good...

Last edited:

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What criticism, if you and I haven't played the game? And most of the people hammering the game over and over have no intention to!

They don't really have any valid criticisms, yet..

And we have people here saying Kojima is trying to get into the "Hating Trump and Brexit" bandwagons...like, really??

A game about "connecting people in the 21st Century", seems pretty clear to me.

But noo, Kojima can't do no good...
But we know well enough about the gameplay of the game and how it's gonna go for the majority of the game, and we saw well enough of how it's gonna work, of the gameplay loop, from people that DID play the full game. I'd say we're able to criticize with those information if we don't find it to fit what we like and what we don't.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
But we know well enough about the gameplay of the game and how it's gonna go for the majority of the game, and we saw well enough of how it's gonna work, of the gameplay loop, from people that DID play the full game. I'd say we're able to criticize with those information if we don't find it to fit what we like and what we don't.

Come on, you know as well as I do that's true on some cases, but it's not in many others.

And we have this very thread as an example...

Kojima trying to get some brownie points

....right on time, thanks for helping me make my point lol

Last edited:

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
It's obvious he was inspired by the divisive political climate of the last few years, among other things.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like he deals with these things directly, just that they inspired the themes of the game.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised by the immediate reaction of disbelief in this thread. As the themes of the games began to play out I felt the subtext was pretty obvious. Also, the reaction to this seems pretty lukewarm on a forum that gets really angry when developers fail to commit to political themes. Strange.
I feel like he's just saying that. The marketing for this game has been kinda weird and all over the place. Also, kojima's subtext has been pretty freshman philosophy class stoner-idea level obvious shit, as Giant Bomb was pointing out in their discussion.
This is becoming a meme at this point.
god i think the discourse around this will be really interesting when more people have beat the game. it's frustrating because i'm still embargoed from saying a lot of the things i want to say about it but i really do think the way it talks about this stuff is nuanced and interesting. i'm excited to move on from the attacking-reviewers-for-their-opinions-or-claiming-this-game-is-for-true-intellectuals-only-and-if-you-dont-get-it-youre-just-dumb phase

it's so weird. it's a game where you pee pee mushrooms, dudes get high off delivering packages, and you make grenades from norman reedus's dirty bathwater. but it also has these challenging, nuanced moments with really big, bold political statements that are the opposite of what you might expect (it was definitely the opposite of what i expected, anyway)

Stephen Poole published an interesting perspective on Kojima's work back in 2015 (written for a general audience), and I think many folks here will find it interesting to consider, in this context (if it matters, I'll go ahead and note that Poole did make it past freshman year of college):
Poole studied English at Emmanuel College, Cambridge, and has subsequently written for publications including The Independent, The Guardian, The Times Literary Supplement, The Sunday Times, and the New Statesman. He has published two books and currently writes a weekly nonfiction book-review column in the Saturday Guardian called Et Cetera, as well as regular longer book reviews, plus a monthly column in Edge magazine... Trigger Happy was published in 2000 by 4th Estate in the UK (with the subtitle "The Inner Life of Videogames") and by Arcade Publishing in the US (with the subtitle "Videogames and the Entertainment Revolution"). It is an investigation of the aesthetics of videogames, that notes similarities and differences with other artforms such as cinema, painting and literature, and finally offers a description of games as semiotic systems that may provoke "aesthetic wonder"...
...Hideo Kojima's games notoriously combine sharp reflections on contemporary political themes (The Phantom Pain concerns itself at length with issues of nuclear proliferation) with overscripted, didactic longueurs. There are, even his staunchest admirers agree, far too many hours of non-interactive expository "cut scenes" in his games, as well as his signature elements of surreal and supernatural invention... Yet as a cultural figure Kojima may be something like the Noam Chomsky of video games: someone who first introduces a player or reader to the iniquities perpetrated in modern history by the "good" guys. In a still-young medium whose most successful products are deeply conservative, he insists that video games can and should convey critical arguments about international relations and jus in bello. In this sense—in terms of his sheer cultural reach, and the ability of his gleefully odd games to sweeten the bitter pill of philosophy—Hideo Kojima is not just one of the great video-game designers of our times, he is arguably one of our most important political artists...

...Such joyous bathos has long distinguished the work of the Japanese video-game director Hideo Kojima, whose games have sold upwards of 36 million copies to date... In their dynamic procedure as well as their scripted rhetoric, Kojima's games are stealthily anti-war war games. In contrast to the fairground bullet-shower of the billion-grossing Call of Duty series (the equivalent in war-themed video games of Michael Bay movies)... The player may thus feel dirty and guilty for doing what is mere routine in other games. As well as in other art forms: MGSV's emphasis on fanatical caution and planning, as well as the humane neutralizing of enemies, works too as an implicit rebuke to gung-ho war movies -- in particular, in this case, the Afghanistan-set Rambo III (1988), whose hero deals very differently with the Soviet occupation...

On the other hand, it may help to lure some of the video-game audience into a critical engagement with issues that most games take unthinkingly for granted... Kojima may cut a lonely figure at the blockbuster end of video games, but a modern movement of serious, critical indie games is in full bloom... As any artist must be who works at the blockbuster end of his medium, Kojima is loyal to the perceived commercial and demographic requirements of the form, while reserving the right to extend its parameters in surprising ways... It is, first and foremost, a hugely enjoyable video game, and many players might not even notice the ambient satirical allusions. That might be a shame; but if the game were no fun to play, its politics would reach no one at all because no one would play it...

It will certainly be interesting to see how Death Stranding unfolds. I haven't read too many impressions of the story, but there was an interesting video review posted in the review thread: after a brief rundown of basic plot points starting at the 4-minute mark ("...It's important to talk about the interpretation of the game..."), the reviewer promises, at 5min18sec: "...That is just step one, you have just blown the snow off the iceberg... it gets headier than that, by far..."

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, I went and actually watched the gameplay TGS thing and Kojima is the one that said to make the hat red in that bit.

Really? I actually hadn't watched it to avoid seeing too much content. Somebody had told me he had made it red for the woman who was there because it was her fav color.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Astartes, remember when Kojima made a game about "The Sons of Liberty" and retained that title on the box only weeks after 9/11:

"No taxation without representation." George Sears - 2009

I have a divided opinion on Kojima, most old school fans have at this point (i finished all games he directed), but that rumored 2-hour cutscenes towards the end of DS is destined to be KINO. It´s worthy of 4 identical credit sequences after all. It´s a shame that DS is too long to be beaten in one sitting as I did that with MGS 4 back in 2008.

Edit: Forgot to post their flag. This is a game from 2001:
Sons_of_Liberty_flag.jpg

Nostrajima predicted some shit alright.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
this quote should just be posted in every kojima thread at this point lol.
it's already in every thread that has any sort of chance of having an ounce of negativity in it. i thought this kind of meta shit was against the rules.

either way, regardless what death stranding is about, the game still doesn't come off as interesting to me. watching giant bomb rail on it was basically 1:1 my thoughts on what was happening. i really wanted to be hype for this and dig into it, but, nah.

Sep 8, 2019
I actually hope they sell a red Bridges hat eventually. Would buy. And of course this game deals with Western politics, it's Kojima.
With a critical mind and a willingness to separate fact from fiction, the MGS series is a fairly compelling 20th century Western history course. Just dont try and learn anything about genetics...

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
You think? I've thought it was always clear that Trump/climate change/social division is what this game is trying to be about.

Beyond the ghosts and weird shit anyway
It's an interesting allegory, all your divisions mean shit when us as a species is at risk, quite prescient at this time of (somewhat hidden) crisis; our world, our society is edging towards a collapse of sorts.

MH MD

Oct 25, 2017
Next Kojima interview: "this game is actually about climate change, this game has so many themes, its deep and stuff"