• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Well, we'll see wether the game needed a couple of extra years or not once it releases.
I'm still on the team "the game will be at least interesting"

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
What's wrong there? He's indie (independent) and at that time he just started his new studio. You'all just hating on him.
kojima reached the status on era where they are going to call out literally ANYTHING he says or does, its really disappointing to see a supposedly mature forum fall so low.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Gamespot: People said you was slow but you seem fast
Kojima: Yeah here's how ::insights into game development::
ERA: Kojima is sooo slow
ERA: No way, he's so fast

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
80 people is a very small team given the work shown so far. Ubisoft can have up to 400 people on some projects.
Yeah but ubisoft lately try to be the most realistic possible (what egypt and greece was at the time) so not only they made the game but they have a lot of historians working with them

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
User banned(1 week): Thread whining, modwhining, and inflammatory comparisons.
kojima reached the status on era where they are going to call outt literally ANYTHING he says or does, its really disappointing to see a supposedly mature forum fall so low.
Yup.
I've been warned for mod whining before. But I will take another warnning or Ban again here. This forum is a fucking joke right now in terms of quality of posting and quality of moderation. Reaching Gamefaqs and some of worst gaming subreddits. People here would literally want a dev to be quite because they will pounce on every word he says.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
kojima reached the status on era where they are going to call outt literally ANYTHING he says or does, its really disappointing to see a supposedly mature forum fall so low.

For me - when it comes to Kojima, here's the thing :

The fact that he is an egoistical, proud game developer who rarely credits his team, elevates his self-importance in the games that he shipped ( valid or otherwise ), has a degree of god complex, and someone who regularly puts a higher degree of importance to the creative aspects of his work ( taboo, new genre, never-done-before, etc etc )...

Is nothing new whatsoever. In fact, it's well known... since forever, basically.

So I see the stuff that he's saying and his usual hyperbole and it's like "ah, it's typical Kojima again."

Do I wish that he is more like Cory Barlog, Bruce Straley, Miyazaki, Fumito Ueda - who conducts themselves with far less hubris? Yes.
Do I expect it of him, nor do I care that he's the way he is? Nah.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
1324596542030_7713053.png

Plum

May 31, 2018
What's wrong there? He's indie (independent) and at that time he just started his new studio. You'all just hating on him.

Yeah he was independent, but he had more resources than anyone in this industry could ever dream of and to not acknowledge that by making yourself out to be a "struggling indie dev who started with nothing," is the essence of arrogance.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
I'm guessing there's something lost in translation where he refers to his studio as a tiny indie.

This is not a tniy indie but 100 peoples is very low for a AAA, this is AA budget. Here this is probably a AAA budget because of actors but this is more like a AA game in term of team size.

EDIT: ND are 520 peoples if we add ICE Team and they outsource a lot, Guerrilla want to reach 400 peoples, Coaltion there are between 300 and 400 people, 343 Industrie they are 500

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
This is not a tniy indie but 100 peoples is very low for a AAA, this is AA budget. Here this is probably a AAA budget because of actors but this is more like a AA game in term of team size.

EDIT: ND are 520 peoples if we add ICE Team and they outsource a lot, Guerrilla want to reach 400 peoples, Coaltion there are between 300 and 400 people, 343 Industrie they are 500

There's no way this game is AA in budget. Control was AA in budget and it's noticeable in all aspects of the game that it had a AA/medium budget. Nothing about DS gives off the impression it's AA.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
kojima reached the status on era where they are going to call out literally ANYTHING he says or does, its really disappointing to see a supposedly mature forum fall so low.
The status he has is why the comment comes off grating to begin with. He's an industry darling, a very high profile and well known producer and director that any studio would pick up without a moments hesitation, and did, as Sony gave him his own studio so quickly.

chris 1515

Oct 27, 2017
Barcelona Spain
There's no way this game is AA in budget. Control was AA in budget and it's noticeable in all aspects of the game that it had a AA/medium budget. Nothing about DS gives off the impression it's AA.

For control they were only 100 peoples but Remedy is doing the engine it is maybe one of the reason they are even less with only a team of 80 peoples. Here the game would probably be pretty cheap for a AAA if there was not the actors.

From a developement point of view the Kojima productions teams is low but they have some support coming from Sony VASG and Guerrilla games. But I doubt the game is more expensive to do than Days Gone out of the actors and Days Gone is a tiny AAA budget.

EDIT: I think like he explains inside the interview one difference is in Japan, games are developed in a more top down management mode and it accelerate the decision...

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
"He" doesn't create games fast, his team creates games fast.

This notion that Kojima is the sole worker on this game and that everyone else doesn't even need to be credited or mentioned is, quite frankly, one of the worst things about the hype surrounding Kojima. I'm not going to doubt that a lot of his games are down to him, but when so much of it is focused on him alone then it makes it harder to celebrate and (if there's high levels of crunch, which is definitely looking likely) help those underneath him.

This is what I'm talking about above. Even games literally made by other designers and other entirely seperate teams are being attributed to Kojima and Kojima alone. Metal Gear Acid/2 and Lunar Knights were made by a different designer with a (presumably) different team within Kojipro, the HD collections were made primarily by Bluepoint, Social Ops was a mobile game presumably not supervised by Kojima, and Revengeance was made entirely by Platinum on the back of the failed Metal Gear Solid: Rising prototype.

this is so unnecessary. do you also write paragraphs for when people praise film directors without mentioning the cameramen?

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
He's saying exactly what people repeated over the years, the only reason mgs v took time was because of the fox engine, otherwise Kojima is very efficient in making games.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

The end of MGSV and what we know of Chapter 3 seems to point at numerous issues preventing the game from fully being complete, at least in the way originally visioned.

The whole "Is this chapter 3?" stuck around for so long since many just couldn't accept he wasn't able to finish his game and would leave it in that state.

Plum

May 31, 2018
this is so unnecessary. do you also write paragraphs for when people praise any film director without mentioning the cameramen?

Films and games are two entirely different mediums so comparing the two like that makes no sense. There's many other flaws with your argument but I can't really be bothered to go into them right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Kept you waiting, huh?

It's weird that at one point he was known for producing games slightly slower than other studios (look at how slow MGS sequels were compared to FF or RE on PS1). But he's managed to keep the same pace while the rest of the industry has slowed down, so he's gone from being a bit slower to a bit faster than everyone else.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
The end of MGSV and what we know of Chapter 3 seems to point at numerous issues preventing the game from fully being complete, at least in the way originally visioned.

The whole "Is this chapter 3?" stuck around for so long since many just couldn't accept he wasn't able to finish his game and would leave it in that state.
What were those issues? What caused the project to take longer than expected?

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
Films and games are two entirely different mediums so comparing the two like that makes no sense. There's many other flaws with your argument but I can't really be bothered to go into them right now.

Seems like a fair comparison to me, especially the way movies are made nowadays.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018

it's reality. Top dogs get universal praise in almost any team based activity. In the arts and in the corporate world.

It's Kojima you guys are annoyed at for some reason (could be legit, idk idc) lmao, let's not pretend that there's some altruistic need for you to want everybody to get their credit.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Says the person making an immature generalization in a thread full of varying opinions?

Some of you have no self-awareness when you post...

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
What were those issues? What caused the project to take longer than expected?
I think that Konami just wanted to ship the game already since their mobile division brought more money than their console games, leading to all kinds of conflicts with Kojima; which in the end they made him work on it in a separate room for the last 6 months of development according to Keighley.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
He has to thank Sony and Guerilla for the already ready and majestic Decima Engine which spared him unfathomable time so instead of losing time creating an engine while creating an game at the same time, he has just to focus on creating the game solely.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Metal Gear V was heavily outsourced. Kojima is being dishonest here to the point where he's trying to justify top billing (aka plastering his name over things).

He makes it sound like he's the source of all the design, every bit and the people around him just execute that. His ego knows no bounds.

I don't think Kojima is an engine programmer.
The Kohima bashing around here can get quite tiresome at times but I wholly agree with you here and I do think it's justified at times. This quote from him left a very bad taste in my mouth. Doesn't even put a word in for his team. It's all about him

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would sound a lot better if he weren't throwing out ridiculous ballpark figures for other developers.

Guerilla Games built the Decima Engine and completed Horizon Zero Dawn in roughly three years.

Kojima -- "Oh no, seriously, they were working on that game for like 12 years."

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Because hes not some fresh newbie developer making games in their garage, hes a rich egomaniac with a cult following who would worship what he leaves in the toilet.
He didnt just have a dream and a can-do attitude like hes suggesting

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there's any big AAA budget game that doesn't outscouce anything right now... Maybe just Nintendo but that's just guessing while assuming Nintendo is always about 5 or so years behind in these kind of things.

Even DMC 5 and RE2, despite not having Ubisoft, Sony or Rockstar budget they were heavily outsourced, i looked at DMC 5 credits and there are something like 4-6 different chinese and non studios working on the game. From Software does the same thing.
7 different studios from China to Brazil worked on Horizon Zero Dawn for example.

It's not only AAA, even AA games are outsourced; Senua model was co-developed by 4 studios despite Hellblade being in the low end of AA budget.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Ok fine, I'm willing to accept the information I read about the E3 trailer using Decima was incorrect. However Kojima Productions had the engine from January/February 2016, which is when Kojima went on tour with Mark Cerny to find an engine to use. It was the end of the trip when Guerilla gave them the source code (in an engraved box to boot) so my point about them having the engine from early 2016 still stands.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah he was independent, but he had more resources than anyone in this industry could ever dream of and to not acknowledge that by making yourself out to be a "struggling indie dev who started with nothing," is the essence of arrogance.
I think it's the tiny indie part that's grating people, but I suspect that's a translation error.

Isn't the "struggling tiny indies" said/inferred by the poster? His tweet only state he's independent working in a tiny room.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Ok fine, I'm willing to accept the information about the E3 trailer using Decima was incorrect. However Kojima Productions had the engine from January/February 2016, which is when Kojima went on tour with Mark Cerny to find an engine to use. It was the end of the trip when Guerilla gave them the source code (in an engraved box to boot) so my point about them having the engine from early 2016 still stands.
they didnt decide which engine to work on until after the E3 trailer, so they couldnt have started full production until H2 2016

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I think having a single source of truth really helps. He knows what he wants and he makes quick calls. From a lot of what Jason has written you see these big games fail because there is no decision making or there's a group of people constantly changing directions and it drags everything down.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Ok fine, I'm willing to accept the information I read about the E3 trailer using Decima was incorrect. However Kojima Productions had the engine from January/February 2016, which is when Kojima went on tour with Mark Cerny to find an engine to use. It was the end of the trip when Guerilla gave them the source code (in an engraved box to boot) so my point about them having the engine from early 2016 still stands.
But the studio was not ready during 2016. He aimed to fill up the studio with 100 devs in 2017.

"Kojima said 2017 is the year Kojima Productions, which is built to accommodate 100 staff, will take off."

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
they didnt decide which engine to work on until after the E3 trailer, so they couldnt have started full production until H2 2016

Deciding to use it after E3 doesn't mean the engine just sat in it's box somewhere, they'd have been experimenting with it, testing it, seeing how it could be modified. It's not as though they suddenly had a new engine dropped in their laps after E3.

As stated though, my point is that saying it took 3 years from the beginning of development to the end is incorrect.