• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you believe in a loving, just God?

• Yes

Votes: 151 12.4%
  • No

Votes: 1,068 87.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
It seems to me so unlikely that anyone could possible reconcile their belief of a Loving God and the reality that they are living through.

Last edited:

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never believed I was just or caring. That's just a bunch of dumb shit you thought about me because of my hippie son.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
pd72xtt.gif

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I can't ever imagine believing a God could be just – insofar as what humans would determine to be just. Especially if one is both a creator, omniscient by definition and content with putting people to hell (or form thereof).

This topic veers too closely to slamming such beliefs though, so I will also say that if someone does find solace in such an entity and doesn't use it to diminish the life or rights of others; I'm happy you have that in your life.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I can't ever imagine believing a God could be just – insofar as what humans would determine to be just. Especially if one is omniscient by definition and content with putting people to hell.

This topic veers too cloesly to slamming religion though, so I will also say that if someone does find solace in such a being and doesn't use it to diminish the life or rights of others; I'm happy you have that in your life.

My family is very religious and I am not. I don't shame their views but it honestly blows my mind that no matter what horrible things happen this year-they feel there's a good reason.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Always said that, if God exist (something that I don't believe) duder is jus the biggest petty asshole ever. And not because 2020.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
No. If anything, God, if he is real, is a very shitty parent. Plays head games with his "children" physical abusive too, sending disease and plague and expecting loyalty and love in return. to him or her I say "fuck you"

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to shame anyone with religious beliefs.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Why does the poll assume people believe in any kind of god?

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
After everything that has happened this year with COVID, the economy and politics. It seems to me so unlikely that anyone could possible reconcile their belief of a Loving God and the reality that they are living through.
Im not the most religious person but the most popular religion preaches about salvation and a perfect world post mortem... So I don't see why a shit world invalidates their beliefs... On the opposite to be honest. Many sees these times as the apocalypse unfolding.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
My family is very religious and I am not. I don't shame their views but it honestly blows my mind that no matter what horrible things happen this year-they feel there's a good reason.
Quite a few things blow my mind when it comes to people in general. If they're not out there causing or stoking harm for others though, then I'm content to sit with that confusion. It's easy to understand where faith and belief in a higher power comes from, and a lot of good people find comfort in that through their life. I wouldn't hope to cross that initial expectation myself by making them feel lesser for it.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
If there is a just and living God, they certainly wouldn't be anywhere near our human understanding of morality and karma.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
No.

It's been something I thought about since I was a kid, not necessarily "Why do good people suffer?" but more "WHY do they have to suffer?" especially when you get people in sweatshops forced to make the products that we enjoy. What's "just" about that?

And with 2020, the year itself represents the cumulation of our societies having failed to take action or be just in our deeds. Conspiracy theorists were allowed to run rampant, unchecked for years and their lies have only led to real world chaos. Powerful people flaunt the rules by taking eyesight tests involving a long drive to a castle in quarantine and don't get fired for it. Flawed companies get contracts to address an issue facing us during a pandemic, get paid millions and utterly fail, only to get paid again.

Justice in our lives isn't in the hands of God, it's in ours as human beings. If we're God's Children then it's time we grew up and took responsibility for ourselves.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I let go of that idea ca. 1993-1994 when I was a teenager and have not looked back. The older I get, the less I understand how people believe in an all-knowing, all-powerful being who loves them.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I mean even putting aside my lack of belief in a god in general i've never seen any reason to believe that if one hypothetically did exist that they would be "just" or "loving"

Raxel

Nov 1, 2017
Not every religion promotes an interventionist God, in Sikhism it's considered arrogant to believe the creator of the universe will personally intervene in your life and fix your problems.

Oct 31, 2017
People will just tell you that it's a test or trial or whatever they call it that God put on humanity. Something along those lines.

Oct 27, 2017
lol what

Genghis Khan, the Holocaust, Slavery etc...

If 2020 was the tipping point for you to stop believing in the myth of a loving god, you need to read more.

Deleted member 22528

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

" How long can a world go on under such a subtle God?
How long can a world go on with no word from God?
See the plod of the flawed individual looking for a nod from God
Trotting the sod of the visible with no new word from God"

Last edited:

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ended up believing that sometimes, you can get exactly what you wanted and more, and when it happens you need to be worthy of that rare event.

And in this wack ass world thats God to my eyes.

Last edited:

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Yea, its not like horrible shit hasnt happened before 2020. Religion has really fucked up society far more than helped.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
www.who.int

Fact sheet about malaria

Malaria is a life-threatening disease caused by parasites that are transmitted to people through the bites of infected female mosquitoes.

Key facts
  • Children aged under 5 years are the most vulnerable group affected by malaria; in 2018, they accounted for 67% (272 000) of all malaria deaths worldwide.

If you believe in a just loving God, you're some privileged arsehole.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
How long have these various different species of wasp existed for that inject eggs (or paralyse and leave an egg nearby) into living host so that the larvae eat them alive? Forget 2020. No benevolent being would make horror movie shit like that, so no. That's before you even get to the bullshit humanity have been inflicting on each other under the watch of this/these so called benevolent beings. Even if some higher power exists, they are not benevolent at all.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one with a brain or who isn't brainwashed should have believed in God before this year anyways. Let alone after all the shit this year. Religion is superstitious nonsense that has caused so much harm to the human species. We need to move past it badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.