• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Like I said in the title, happy International Women's Day! Full disclosure, I wish I could do a full-ass thread like I did for Black History Month. But given how much of a herculean task that thread was, I'd need to plan ahead for such a thread next year. With that said, I wanted to do something this year, so I decided to do an open thread for bringing up some awesome women in gaming. Who knows, maybe I'll refer back to this thread next year. Of course, we can also bring up pros & cons regarding gaming's handling of women in games in here as well. With that said, I'll start...

Switch_ARMS_characterart_06.png
Chun-Li.png

Twintelle & Chun-Li are probably two of my favorite women in fighting games right now. Granted, Chun-Li is kinda held back by the whole Interpol thing, but she's also such a long-standing character. Hell, Chun-Li is the literal First Lady of Fighting Games. As for Twintelle, she's probably the shining example of black women for Nintendo games & possibly fighting games in general so far. Hell, you all voted for her as this site's top black character from a fighting game. You can check that thread for my write-up on Twintelle, but I'll save my Chun-Li write-up for another time. So what about you all, what other women in games do you want to bring up? Though just a heads-up, please keep the thread focused on women who originated from a video game.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Goddess: Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile
Easily the best character in her own game, and utilizing pretty fun and tricky platforming to maneuver her was great. She is a stone cold warrior, and finding "love" in her life only emboldens to be stronger instead of weaken her. Just about the entire VP lady cast (and otherwise) is like this; featuring flawed characters with a lot of passion and strength in life (and death).

e74yHLn.jpg

3574716E92312D94CE24392DD5C4800D9B438C79

C9E3AFB0D75F96AE816869A4922CBD02AB897584

Special shoutout to the TWO leading ladies from Final Fantasy VI, Celes and Terra.... It was a biiiig deal to me as a kid that the main characters were ladies, and I think it helped turn gaming into more than "just" a hobby for me.
(Selfishly showing off my own art; because the passion lol)
Y4fn2KZ.png

Last edited:

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Mitsuru from Persona 3
Cynthia from Pokémon Platinum
Zelda from various Zelda games
Makoto from Persona 5
Lara Croft
Samus
Jill Valentine
Chie from Persona 4
Ciri from Witcher
Yennefer
Triss
Miranda from Mass Effect
Female Shepard

lol I can keep going

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Ellie and Abby. Between Ellie's entire arc from American Dreams through TLOU2, she has become the most realistically realized character across a set of games to me. I love her entire story.

Abby was such a shockingly amazing character that became an all time favorite of mine even in just one game.

Not going to get too deep because it gets into spoilers.

20210308-120555.jpg

Last edited:

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Though just a heads-up, please keep the thread focused on women who originated from a video game.

Is there another thread to bring awareness to real women who work in game industry and their projects? Gaming has never been a paragon of good women design in the first place, so limiting this thread to "hey, remember these fictional women characters"' seems in poor taste on such an important day.

Sorry if this is considered thread derailing.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Is there another thread to bring awareness to real women who work in game industry and their projects? Gaming has never been a paragon of good women design in the first place, so limiting this thread to "hey, remember these fictional women characters"' seems in poor taste on such an important day.

Sorry if this is considered thread derailing.
I'm mainly following the same rules as the Black History Month thread. That said, you do raise a good point about there not being a ton of great designs for women in games. But if anything, that's why it's important to highlight the positive examples in gaming.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

To have the game be so brutal yet manage to create such a sympathetic character to one otherwise established as such a monster.... IT's bold and incredible. Elie I knew I'd love (cuz we loved her already in game 1), but to pull a whole new narrative with Abby was jaw dropping.

Also ..
95f9539872728a844cc02c0fe13cd09775fbd6dc.gif

This shit made my jaw droooop. Certified 200% badass

Oct 27, 2017
Playstation 5 has a section up on their store with games fearuring many of the women characters mentioned here. It would have been cool to provide a deck of action cards to commemorate the day.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh great thread. One of my faves of all time is Chris from Suikoden 3. Especially in the non-armor outfit.

hwQmhgG.png

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Just want to give a shoutout to one my favorites:

The Pirate Governor, Elaine Marley from the Monkey Island Series
f7d34d6b95c1b1be5d06dfb410713263.png

The Rancher Queen, Bonnie MacFarlane from the Red Dead Series
latest

The 2 time GOTY winner, Ellie from The Last of Us Series
ET9_Pj6WoAQ_AvR.jpg

The GOAT zombie survivor, Clementine from Telltale's The Walking Dead
596433-clembanner2.jpg

The GOAT narrator, GLaDOS from the Portal Series
400px-GLaDOS_P2.png

The Boss, The Boss from Metal Gear Solid 3
latest

Élise de la Serre from Assassin's Creed Unity
eliseunity.jpg

Last edited:

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
I know Ubisoft is trash, and is hard to forgive them to not allow Kassandra to be the only main protagonist in Odyssey.
At least now they admit it, and say that Kassandra being the main is canon. And she deserves it, because she is awesome.
210c0281fd822ee4a4916133a6a35178.gif

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
Giving a shout-out to No One Lives Forever's Cate Archer. Kotaku has a solid article that talks about her series and her as an underrated female protagonist set in a Cold War-era spy romp.

Cate_Archer.png

I'm glad to see that it didn't take long for someone to mention the goat.

I actually thought of this scene today:

I suspect a scene like that today would cause a lot of people to attack the game.

Edit: just read the article, amazing read! And they mentioned that same dialogue.

Please, someone bring Cate Archer back!

Last edited:

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
Echo from Killzone Shadow Fall remains to be one of my favorites. I was waiting for another Killzone with her as a lead character.

644f51566e6cfbd71284af8692ed29e0.jpg

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The ones that always jump to the top for me are Chun-li, Samus, and Jill Valentine.

But let me also share one of my favorites from the PS1 era.
c11ab05a4c13d957277b881b78d5c084--character-art-character-design.jpg

Aya Brea from Parasite Eve (one in particular) was such a breath of fresh air. Shame they never made a third game.

A REAL SHAME.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Painted up a Cammy for the occasion. In a way I was lucky that my favorite games growing up had women I thought were awesome and some even were main characters. Terra and Celes in FFVI, Chun Li and Cammy in SF, Ayla in Chrono Trigger, etc

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
vanessa-kof2002-um-victory-art.png

Vanessa from King of Fighters. She learns boxing after her husband dies and becomes a top agent in a mercenary group who have worked with the likes of K', Blue Mary, and coworker Ramon. She also has the distinct honor of being in a team with Iori and still being alive (noting that her and team members Ramon and Seth turn on him instead of typically the other way around)

Also considered one of the best boxers in all fighting games and arguably the fastest across 2D fighters.

vanessa-punch-ramon-kof14.gif

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mona Sax from Max Payne 2:

latest

Sadie Adler from Red Dead Redemption 2:

latest

Billie Lurk from the Dishonored series:

billie-lurk-jacket.jpg

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A few that tend to slip under the radar.
FOQy5LF.jpg

Fetch from Infamous: Second Son & First Light

a74e4b784c614bbfb8a102b892cdad7b.jpg

Nilin from Remember Me

hellblade-senuas-sacrifice-pc-playstation-4_305359.jpg

Senua from Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Perfect-Dark-2020-Agent-Joanna-Dark-Cropped-Jacket.jpg

Joanna Dark from Perfect Dark

GrisCoverImage.jpg

Gris from Gris

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Ellie and Abby. Between Ellie's entire arc from American Dreams through TLOU2, she has become the most realistically realized character across a set of games to me. I love her entire story.

Abby was such a shockingly amazing character that became an all time favorite of mine even in just one game.

Not going to get too deep because it gets into spoilers.

20210308-120555.jpg

This is the real MVP answer.
And also Aloy, another video game woman that didn't need to be propped up by a man.

ARobotCalledV

Aug 22, 2020
One of my Apex Legends mains, Lifeline. As someone who always plays the healer character, I really appreciate how unique her design is by avoiding the generic white mage template.

latest

Also has my favourite alternative outfit in the game, which I unfortunately missed out on.

latest