• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
To solve the playlist issue they need to take the match composer and significantly increase the granularity at which you can search as I suggested a few years back with "toggle based matchmaking"

I want to be able to search for specific map/game type combinations etc.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
To solve the playlist issue they need to take the match composer and significantly increase the granularity at which you can search as I suggested a few years back with "toggle based matchmaking"

They just need to allow for custom servers and let those who know how to curate good playlists organically rise in popularity.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017

Yup. I want to pick what maps I play in social.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
I don't like the idea of picking maps because there is always a fan favorite map that gets all the attention and it would be like playing Haven all day back in H4 when you could vote for the map itself. I also prefer the veto system tbh.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I don't like the idea of picking maps because there is always a fan favorite map that gets all the attention and it would be like playing Haven all day back in H4 when you could vote for the map itself. I also prefer the veto system tbh.
But what if you could just pick what maps you wanted to play before searching, like in MCC with game types.

Señor Sepia

Aug 2, 2020
What
But what if you could just pick what maps you wanted to play before searching, like in MCC with game types.
Unselect the map you don't want to play then.
Yeah, thats what i mean i dont like, it decreases the posibilities of playing some maps if the player base focus too much on one of them, as i said, i spent entire days playing only haven on H4 because no one wanted to even give a try to the other maps. Also im not from USA so our number of players is very limited.

I like the Match Composer thing but i prefer if it is limited.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
At the very least a no forge maps toggle would be nice.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with the "composer" idea for social is your still at the mercy of 343 choosing what goes into the hopper. So if they were shit at identifying the good community content, and rotating out the bad, "the composer" is just a bandaid.

They really need to have custom servers, so that the matchmaking experience can be properly merged with the spirit of the custom games and UGC communities.

Oct 25, 2017
I never forget how disappointed I was when I started up Halo 2 and discovered that I had little say over what I played in multiplayer
I had grown accustomed to H1PC's server browser so matchmaking playlists were a shock to me
Thought I was doing something wrong and kept looking around the settings

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's what it looks like but only applies to shadows for some reason. And thanks, that would be greatly appreciated. I have submitted tickets to 343 but each time they say they have no solution, so I wanted to get some more info myself.

As for the level, here it is just at the beginning of outskirts in the first courtyard you enter, but I see it on every level in the game. It is just really apparent on outskirts due to the art of the level.
I checked tonight and I don't see the same in my game. I'm playing 4K hdr 60hz vrr on series x.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I checked tonight and I don't see the same in my game. I'm playing 4K hdr 60hz vrr on series x.
Thanks. What TV do you have if you don't mind me asking?

This is really bothering me. Does anyone have any idea why this would only happen in 4k, in this one game?

I could understand if it was a general issue with the tcl TV having issues displaying 4k content, but this is the only ge that it occurs with. Even other games in mcc look fine. And again, it does not seem to be a specific issue with the TV displaying 4k content in general with halo 2 anniversary in mcc, as the issue is only observed with shadows and not the entire picture. It is like there is some odd issue with the way shadows are rendered in halo 2 anniversary that specifically causes issues with a tcl TV outputting at 4k. What in the world could cause display resolution to affect how shadows are rendered and how could this manifest as an issue specific to one (or potentially a few) TV manufacturers. Dictator Dark1x brainchild I beseech you.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

This is really bothering me. Does anyone have any idea why this would only happen in 4k, in this one game?

I could understand if it was a general issue with the tcl TV having issues displaying 4k content, but this is the only ge that it occurs with. Even other games in mcc look fine. And again, it does not seem to be a specific issue with the TV displaying 4k content in general with halo 2 anniversary in mcc, as the issue is only observed with shadows and not the entire picture. It is like there is some odd issue with the way shadows are rendered in halo 2 anniversary that specifically causes issues with a tcl TV outputting at 4k. What in the world could cause display resolution to affect how shadows are rendered and how could this manifest as an issue specific to one (or potentially a few) TV manufacturers. Dictator Dark1x brainchild I beseech you.
Since it only happens to shadows in-game for you and not the entire image, I imagine it's more of a rendering glitch you're experiencing than a TV issue
(I have the Vizio OLED H1)
are you also playing in hdr? what video settings does your xbox have enabled?

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

I don't know much about Halo 2's rendering features, but if it uses stencil shadows, then the display resolution could affect how they're being rendered.

Again, without really knowing much about the pipeline, I can't really tell you, but at least from a theoretical perspective, it could have something to do with stencil shadow limitations.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
Since it only happens to shadows in-game for you and not the entire image, I imagine it's more of a rendering glitch you're experiencing than a TV issue
(I have the Vizio OLED H1)
are you also playing in hdr? what video settings does your xbox have enabled?
I am playing at 4k 60 hz with hdr. It is not an hdr issue as I have tried turning hdr off at both 4k and 1080p, and even with hdr off the issue still occurs at 4k but not 1080p.

Weirdly enough if I play the same game on my one x on the same TV with the same hdmi port at 4k 60 hdr the issue does not occur. It is specific to series x as far as I can tell.

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I don't know much about Halo 2's rendering features, but if it uses stencil shadows, then the display resolution could affect how they're being rendered.

Again, without really knowing much about the pipeline, I can't really tell you, but at least from a theoretical perspective, it could have something to do with stencil shadow limitations.
Hmmm, I do not know if they are stencil shadows. Would there be a way to tell if they are (the only knowledge I have of stencil shadows would be stuff like doom 3 where they have really sharp edges rather than pixelated edges).

Edit: seems to be some different approach according to digital foundry:

"The team spent more than a year creating and ultimately scrapping a renderer that used stencil shadows to allow objects to cast and receive shadows. While it proved too demanding for the original Xbox hardware, those dreams have been fully realised in Halo 2 Anniversary, albeit with a different rendering approach. "

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Hmmm, I do not know if they are stencil shadows. Would there be a way to tell if they are (the only knowledge I have of stencil shadows would be stuff like doom 3 where they have really sharp edges rather than pixelated edges).

Edit: seems to be some different approach according to digital foundry:

"The team spent more than a year creating and ultimately scrapping a renderer that used stencil shadows to allow objects to cast and receive shadows. While it proved too demanding for the original Xbox hardware, those dreams have been fully realised in Halo 2 Anniversary, albeit with a different rendering approach. "

Interesting. Well maybe someone more familiar with the development of the game can give you a better explanation, as again, I'm not familiar with the feature set.

OP
OP
FUNKNOWN iXi

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ayy my dude DMAQ on stream. Knew him since kids lol, been to his LAN's with a bunch of old school names, Puckett's been to them too, commentator's voice is the same during normal convo.

Good stuff, DMAQ's a real chill dude. Glad to see him here.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
The twitch rivals was a real blast from the past and I loved it, seeing those guys again was amazing.

AustinFordGames

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas

No Co-op Campaign at launch (planned for Season 2)
No Forge at launch (planned for Season 3)
Each Season is roughly 3 months
No release date yet, but Season 1 of MP and Campaign will release together, release date is coming soon (probably Gamescom)

Next Flight is BTB and 4v4 with bots!

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
This game would definitely benefit from having another year of delay and development, and I wouldn't mind if they did, but now, they are tied with that Holidays launch window. :/

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
ah-shit-here-we-go-again-ah-shit.gif

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting no forge at launch so that's fine. 6 months out is a bit rough but if it's actual developer tools then that's understandable.

I always play single player first but no co-op day one still feels bad. I don't think they should delay it further just because of co-op but if it's indicative of further problems that would change things.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I think no campaign co-op at launch and no campaign gameplay at E3 this year are giant red flags, but as someone who's no strangers to GaaS, I understand why they made the decision. Launch is big, but it's not a singular make-or-break moment like it was in the past. I'm an avid Siege player and I can tell you that game's launch was a wet fart. I think if the campaign is good - arguably a big if at this point - and the sandbox is dynamic and the missions are replayable, early adopters might spread word of mouth to get their friends to play co-op come season 2. Some big, huge ifs there.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not having two key features at launch again is a huge misfire.

FUNKNOWN iXi I'll have that motion sensor post eventually. Had a big one written up and my window crashed. :/

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting no forge at launch so that's fine. 6 months out is a bit rough but if it's actual developer tools then that's understandable.

I always play single player first but no co-op day one still feels bad. I don't think they should delay it further just because of co-op but if it's indicative of further problems that would change things.
I'm in the same place
I already expected forge to be a post-launch update, 6 months is a lot but I can deal
But couch co-op being post launch too....ouch that one smarts
I can live with 3 months but I dont think I have any patience left for any further delays, if it doesn't come out by April 1 2022 I will be Mad On The Internet

Last edited:

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
it sucks, but its not the end of the world. this halo is meant to be a living thing like they've said, and when co-op and forge get added it'll only bring more players in.

Uncle Sensei

Oct 25, 2017
Not terribly bothered by the delays, but it really makes you wonder what game they were planning on shipping last July when it was slated for last November

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
it sucks, but its not the end of the world. this halo is meant to be a living thing like they've said, and when co-op and forge get added it'll only bring more players in.
Eh, this is just reminding me a lot of New Horizons launching without series-spanning features. "Oh, it's not a big deal, they'll be back, and this way people will keep having reasons to come back!". Meanwhile a year and a half of "free updates!" later and there still hasn't been any updates to the store, but sure, now you can drink boba tea I guess?

I just have a bad feeling we'll be seeing stuff like the "big free update" for Infinite Season 9 being "we're bringing back campaign scoring!", while we're still waiting on like, SWAT for some inexplicable reason. But don't worry, Season 10 has a whole battle pass of pizza skins!

GAAS just feels like a net loss across the board basically every time.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'd favor them pushing Campaign back the 6 months or whatever they need for Co-op, tbh. Multi can launch on its own, it'll be its own client anyway.

Oct 30, 2017
Eh, this is just reminding me a lot of New Horizons launching without series-spanning features. "Oh, it's not a big deal, they'll be back, and this way people will keep having reasons to come back!". Meanwhile a year and a half of "free updates!" later and there still hasn't been any updates to the store, but sure, now you can drink boba tea I guess?

I just have a bad feeling we'll be seeing stuff like the "big free update" for Infinite Season 9 being "we're bringing back campaign scoring!", while we're still waiting on like, SWAT for some inexplicable reason. But don't worry, Season 10 has a whole battle pass of pizza skins!

GAAS just feels like a net loss across the board basically every time.
100%

Oct 25, 2017
Not terribly bothered by the delays, but it really makes you wonder what game they were planning on shipping last July when it was slated for last November
For real. After a whole year delay and now basically asking for another 6 months, once Staten came on board it must have been like a total change of direction (which is probably why it generally looks so much better than prior 343 entries). There's no way that 6 years of work equals no forge and no co-op at launch without there being some form of drastic upheaval along the way that basically had them rethinking entire portions of the game. You can't blame coronavirus for all 6 years. I wouldn't be surprised if some early stuff we saw never even makes it into the final product, the Halo Infinite we get probably won't be the same game they were working on a few years ago. At this point it seems like they may have changed course more than once during development of this game.