• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
They seem to be building off the themes of the original games in a way that Marty does when doing a sequel. I'd like to imagine thiis is probably where the Halo 4 soundtrack would have gone if 343i didn't want to go in a different direction.

Really hope they keep some of Kazuma's themes though, 117 mainly.
Huh, that sounds a lot like Locke's theme/motif in the melody, at least in the very first phrase!
Kazuma gave us some wonderful motifs with Halo 4 and 5. I'm all for going back to the OG trilogy for inspiration, but Sacrifice, Blue Team, Osiris Suite 1-4, and 117 are all worthy additions to the Halo soundtrack family. I hope they keep some of that body of work alive in Infinite.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Sounds like classic Halo alright. Which is really damn good, this vibe has been missing for too long. Can't wait for the game.

Gravemind IV

Nov 26, 2017
Well, at the very least they are absolutely nailing the music. My favorite one so far, I was missing these kind of tracks in the 343 era.

Oct 27, 2017
Despite the delay and negative reaction to the reveal in general, I still think literally everything else we're seeing about Infinite seems like 343 are doubling down on this being a Halo-ass Halo game. Infinite is still absolutely top of my most wanted games.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
I couldn't help but smile from ear to ear when the Walk in the Woods melody kicked in. The soundtrack is ON POINT.

But I'm also super excited to hear both entirely new soundscapes and callbacks to Halo 4 and 5. There is so much good stuff in those games too.

There's nothing like Halo music and it looks like Infinite will absolutely deliver in this department.

Rocket786

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god, that screamed HALO. It was beautiful. The soundtrack is kicking ass so far.

I need some upbeat tracks like Peril and Impend from Halo 2 and this soundtrack has the recipe to live up to the Halo name and be one of the GOATS.

Gareth Coker

Composer
Verified
Jun 14, 2018
But something I really like about this game is that they have a handful of composers all working on it together. I think it's strange that media projects will often have an army of artists but just one composer, maybe with an assistant. That sometimes leads to them putting most of their energy into only a few select tracks, with the rest sometimes falling behind creatively, because the bandwidth simply isn't there. With Infinite's expanded music department, they've got a lot of creative bandwidth to go around! I'm excited to see how that turns out.

Interesting POV. It really depends per project. But I don't think your statement about tracks 'falling behind creatively' is something you can apply across the board. I don't think anyone thinks Howard Shore had any bandwidth issues on LOTR! There's no way anyone can recall all 10 hours of music for the LOTR movies. The reasons some tracks feel ahead of others is because of the moments in the film/game/show they are attached to, yes the music needs to be memorable too, but don't underestimate the power of association. If every track tries so hard to stand out, then at the end of the day, nothing ends up standing out. It has to be cohesive. You can have this problem with visuals too, I've lost count of how many blockbusters I've seen where so much is happening on screen, and it all becomes a blur after a while. Too much for the brain to process. A soundtrack has to have pacing too. We don't remember every Star Wars track, or every Lord of the Rings track, but it's often the case that composers put just as much thought into the tracks 'in between' the tracks that people know / can recall. Most successful scores have pillars that are built around and they get recalled and expanded upon over time.

A lot of media projects will benefit from an artist's singular musical vision. There are also tons of examples where it's been also been a collab and it's worked out great (as Curtis, Joel and myself feel!). No hard and fast rules and I don't think we can really say one is better or more/less creative than the other.

Jellycrackers

Oct 25, 2017
Kazuma gave us some wonderful motifs with Halo 4 and 5. I'm all for going back to the OG trilogy for inspiration, but Sacrifice, Blue Team, Osiris Suite 1-4, and 117 are all worthy additions to the Halo soundtrack family. I hope they keep some of that body of work alive in Infinite.

Oh yeah I'm a huge Kazuma fan. I'm really hoping to hear the 117 theme at some point in Infinite ☺

Interesting POV. It really depends per project. But I don't think your statement about tracks 'falling behind creatively' is something you can apply across the board. I don't think anyone thinks Howard Shore had any bandwidth issues on LOTR! There's no way anyone can recall all 10 hours of music for the LOTR movies. The reasons some tracks feel ahead of others is because of the moments in the film/game/show they are attached to, yes the music needs to be memorable too, but don't underestimate the power of association. If every track tries so hard to stand out, then at the end of the day, nothing ends up standing out. It has to be cohesive. You can have this problem with visuals too, I've lost count of how many blockbusters I've seen where so much is happening on screen, and it all becomes a blur after a while. Too much for the brain to process. A soundtrack has to have pacing too. We don't remember every Star Wars track, or every Lord of the Rings track, but it's often the case that composers put just as much thought into the tracks 'in between' the tracks that people know / can recall. Most successful scores have pillars that are built around and they get recalled and expanded upon over time.

A lot of media projects will benefit from an artist's singular musical vision. There are also tons of examples where it's been also been a collab and it's worked out great (as Curtis, Joel and myself feel!). No hard and fast rules and I don't think we can really say one is better or more/less creative than the other.

Oh wow, didn't realize you were in here too! I have to agree, there's usually a benefit to keeping one composer's consistent vision across a project. But I think as AAA games have gotten bigger and bigger over time, I can understand why there are often 2-3 composers on one big game. There's a lot to write!

As a composer myself whose style was influenced mostly by Halo music while growing up, just wanted to say "well done!" I've really liked what I've heard so far, and I'm excited for the full release :)

Last edited:

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
This is wonderful - my favorite of the tracks released thus far. Love myself A Walk in the Woods.

This is Halo through and through.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
My absolute favorite track so far, now that's genuinely up there with anything from the original trilogy. The vibe is fucking PERFECT. This is so fantastic. This is what Halo should sound like.

Devious

Oct 31, 2017
California

Omg Gareth Coker! I love you! 😭

btags

Oct 26, 2017
Gaithersburg MD
I've liked everything they have put out so far. Good to see how this is all coming together (not that 4 or 5 had bad soundtracks in my opinion).

This is maybe a dumb question and I don't even know if you can answer it, but do you think having multiple composers working on this game was sort of necessary due to the supposed scale of it? I guess I am mainly thinking about this in the context of needing lot's of good "walking around and exploring" type music. Obviously this sort of music has existed in Halo games before as evidenced by the track this new one is referencing, but I guess I could see it becoming a little stale if you had the same quantity of content as previous Halo games. Are multiple composers necessary to fill out the soundtrack a little more here or do you think one could suffice?

If I had to distill my question down further it would be this: Would you say that multiple composers are working on Halo infinite to increase the quantity of material, or the diversity of the material itself by bringing in people with unique styles?

Deleted member 75819

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2020
This track is phenomenal—whomever said it feels like a Halo track underwater nailed it. For whatever reason it gave me somewhat aquatic, beachy vibes. If nothing else, Infinite will have a great OST.

Oct 25, 2017

Yes of course it can't be applied across the board! It definitely doesn't apply to Howard Shore, and not every track should stand apart. There's no way I could apply that to LotR, every track in that whole trilogy is extremely deliberate. The bandwidth issue I mention I don't mean as a universal issue with the lone composers, just as a hurdle I sometimes notice (but not on any Halo games so far, more commonly on fast movie releases where the lone composer was hired very late). But as the scope of these big projects increase it is something I begin to think more about. Fortunately that seems like something that will definitely not be happening here, due to both the time and creative resources available.

A unified vision is important, but for example, the many visual artists all have to work to align their styles to fit together within the same direction. And the combination of those many minds results in a lot of exciting creative diversity, each brings something unique to the table. So along those same lines, I'm very interested in the idea of a similar process being successfully applied to this team of Halo composers all making significant contributions together.

There are definitely advantages to a singular artist's vision, but there are also great potential benefits of collaboration. It can go either way depending on the project and the people involved. But the point is that I'm excited to see the fruits of your collaboration, so far all three of you seem to be matching together well stylistically while still contributing your own personal creativity.

Would you say that the larger scope of this game would be the main reason why all three of you were hired to collaborate on this game or were there other reasons/benefits?

Last edited:

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Those Halo 1 vibes...

nKLmfN7.gif

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Best one of his yet by far! I like how he stayed more faithful to the original motif but reharmonized and recontextualized it when appropriate. Nice production with the drums as well. Miss that kinda note-y metal rod/anvil like layer Marty would add to the snare though (its in the delta halo level in Halo 2 I believe).

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Well chalk down the soundtrack as a win already - Each track they have released has been stunning. Reverie is still my favorite though :P

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Once it ramps up at 1:00 it reminded me of Delta Halo.

It sounds so amazing. I wonder what environment and encounters will be played to the music.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A Walk in the Woods is probably my favorite tune from Halo, and any game that includes a rendition/reinterpretation of it is a sign of good luck to me.

This rendition is absolutely fantastic.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I love the music so far but I hope the entire soundtrack isn't just a reimagining of Halo's greatest hits. I'd like some brand new songs that would fit classic Halo, as hard as that would be.

rokkerkory

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I like it... reminds kinda of chill house beats for some reason. I don't see myself in a forest but more on a beach listening to this. lol

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, that sounds like Marty's work (A Walk in the Woods) on the original trilogy.

It sounds very Metroid Prime 1 also imo.

And that's beautiful.

Can't wait for the game. The soundtrack is a 4/4 so far (with the classic theme in the 1 minute trailer)
Best of the tracks so far, it's just pure Halo from start to finish. But it's also a Remix of " A Walk in the Woods" by Marty so there is that.
Actually *pushes glasses up* 'A Walk in the Woods' is a Michael Salvatori track. Marty added to it, though.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Posted this in another thread, but....58 seconds is when Zero 7 - In the Waiting Line starts

Oh yeah, I definitely hear it. But it's also A Walk in the Woods at a quicker beat. Halo CE came out 7 months after Simple Things, but from the way Marty describes it he was working with Michael Salvatori on those tracks for a while. So probably just a coincidence.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Posted this in another thread, but....58 seconds is when Zero 7 - In the Waiting Line starts

Holy shit. A Walk in the Woods is In the Waiting Line! Of course! That's why I like it so much.

--

Seriously though. 343 delivering the goods. Say what you want about prerelease graphics, but they're already delivering the art style and apparently the soundtrack, too. It's amazing. I've waited 84 years.

Aaronmac

Nov 12, 2017
It's good, but it still sounds like a generic take on a classic Halo motif like basically all of 343's musical teams' output. Doesn't have any of the groove, texture, or iconography that Marty's work did.