• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
The AR is only very slightly faster in time to kill vs the starting magnum and the magnum has significantly higher peak shot and range combat potential. Magnum duel is absolutely still the meat of 5's sandbox, not automatics. And the grenades are nowhere even close to the lethality of Reach's pocket nukes. The real culprit of Halo 5's competitive side is the atrocious state of competitive maps.
Halo 5 had several very good competitive maps.

Truth slayer and CTF
Coliseum CTF
Plaza slayer and strongholds
Rig strongholds
Eden slayer and strongholds
Fathom CTF

Regret slayer was also decent and Empire strongholds provided some great matches when autos were removed.

The real problem was that the post launch maps were largely useless. Stasis CTF being the only decent addition.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
No halo looks or feels organic until you play it. I thought Halo 5 looked weird as hell, ended up good.

cluk

May 22, 2018
Halo 5 had several very good competitive maps.

Truth slayer and CTF
Coliseum CTF
Plaza slayer and strongholds
Rig strongholds
Eden slayer and strongholds
Fathom CTF

Regret slayer was also decent and Empire strongholds provided some great matches when autos were removed.

The real problem was that the post launch maps were largely useless. Stasis CTF being the only decent addition.
I have to disagree here aside from Truth. The maps never felt like real places and the geometry just felt unnatural. Love the maps I've seen so far—they look… mappy.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I could be wrong but it seems like they improved the shield pop visual feedback since the previous footage we saw. Although it also seems hard to be able to see the depleted shield effect afterward. Maybe it just doesn't contrast well with the red/blue team glow effect?

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Halo 5 has a greatly reduced auto aim compared to previous Halo games, so the skill ceiling is much higher for aiming, in addition to movement.

Didn't it also have a really strange acceleration curve too though? And they may have reduced aim assist, but remember how forgiving the hitboxes were?

The problem with Halo (on a controller) when you have faster movement/sprint is that you'll need quicker reaction times and therefore turning speed, but still fine enough aim to consistently stay on the enemy over time due to long ttk's. Maybe that's why Halo 5 aim felt so strange.

When I used to play Halo 3 back in the day I think I kept my sensitivity at like 4 or 5 because fine aim adjustments was so important to keeping aim assist and consistent target following. But playing MCC on PC with a controller, It's cranked up to 7 with added acceleration because mouse and keyboard players have such a big quick turn and aim advantage. I hope input-based matchmaking works well for Infinite so I don't have to worry about that as much.

Last edited:

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
I was hoping to start the install during my lunch break today, but if it's not opening up until afternoon PST, I'll just have to wait until tonight.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe this is a gross oversimplification, but I think the biggest causality of hitting 60fps with Halo 5 was losing split screen. With split screen rightly being back with Infinite, maybe the cost is now 30fps

Which I can't get mad about on an almost decade old piece of hardware.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Surely there'll be changes to the menu away from horizontal display and scroll navigation of items.

Halo 5 and Hitman (2016 onwards) have shown they function terribly.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary
"The build and the associated download instructions are scheduled to be pushed live later today - 343 are tentatively looking at sometime this afternoon, which is currently slated for sometime after 12pm PST [8PM UK]."

HaloWaypoint

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
"The build and the associated download instructions are scheduled to be pushed live later today - 343 are tentatively looking at sometime this afternoon, which is currently slated for sometime after 12pm PST [8PM UK]."

HaloWaypoint

Once this goes live, people should be checking their messages at Halo Waypoint, not their email, for instructions (based on how delayed the first round of emails were!)

Toa Axis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I love how people like to claim that CE is this perfectly crafted masterpiece and then bring arguments like this. The magnum was not intended to fill that niche at all. In fact it was a bug during development and they thought it was fun so they kept it.
Well, that's not true, but I also don't think it would be particularly relevant to players if it were. Regardless of intentionality, the final product still has the pistol behave like it does, and it compliments the rest of the sandbox nonetheless.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Yikes, so they're still pushing a non unified or inconsistent MP experience across modes after all these years. Shit like this or the awkward Sprint keep the hype firmly in check.
I understand sprint concerns but I'm not sure grenade hit markers are substantial enough to be concerned about the state of the game.

I'm the sort of player who will always opt for the most competitive modes, so I'm used to settings being different to social playlists. It sounds like they'll have a clear delineation between their "pub" experience, to quote Tom French, and the Arena mode with a ranking system and by the sounds of it Battle Rifle starts. I would imagine different starting weapons, different radar implementation and reduced HUD markings are probably just part of that difference and to be honest that's something that Halo has done for a long time. I don't think removing hit markers is more substantial than removing radar.

Pretty sure Tom French confirmed / let slip competitive will have BR starts during the tech preview preview yesterday?
That's how I read the situation, too. It's the smart move.

The game is a cluster-fuck when everyone is darting to a precision weapon rather than engaging the core objectives or power weapons. For competitive they should start with BRs.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else find it interesting that both the intro to the match shown and the outro were cut from the stream? I imagine that will tie in with the customization menu "presentation" that is greyed out in the flight, but there has to be a default one for these they didn't show (We did get a glimpse of an intro in the e3 multiplayer footage though)

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
so that time doesnt mean we can play if the download is there right?

Hard to say, the schedule is a little weird. There's no word on a time restriction today but the other days have 2 scheduled 2 hour slots per day. I'd be tempted to say today is only the download and we don't get to play, but the wording on their schedule makes it seem like today is a full-on free-play day without time slots? I can't tell:

• Thursday, July 29: Tech preview is officially live! Go wild, Spartans.
  • Friday, July 30 Scheduled Play Times: 12-2 PM PT, 7-9 PM PT
  • Saturday, July 31 Scheduled Play Times: 12-2 PM PT, 7-9 PM PT
  • Sunday, August 1 Scheduled Play Times: 12-2 PM PT, 7-9 PM PT
  • Monday, August 2: Tech preview closes at 10 AM PT
www.halowaypoint.com

Tech Preview Overview

<p>Halo Infinite’s very first tech preview is just around the corner. It’s a moment we’ve been building up to for quite some time – and, we’re thrilled that so many of you are excited to dive in and check out what we’ve been hard at work on. Bearing in mind that the upcoming tech preview is […]</p>

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Hard to say, the schedule is a little weird. There's no word on a time restriction today but the other days have 2 scheduled 2 hour slots per day. I'd be tempted to say today is only the download and we don't get to play, but the wording on their schedule makes it seem like today is a full-on free-play day without time slots? I can't tell:

• Thursday, July 29: Tech preview is officially live! Go wild, Spartans.
  • Friday, July 30 Scheduled Play Times: 12-2 PM PT, 7-9 PM PT
  • Saturday, July 31 Scheduled Play Times: 12-2 PM PT, 7-9 PM PT
  • Sunday, August 1 Scheduled Play Times: 12-2 PM PT, 7-9 PM PT
  • Monday, August 2: Tech preview closes at 10 AM PT
www.halowaypoint.com

Tech Preview Overview

<p>Halo Infinite’s very first tech preview is just around the corner. It’s a moment we’ve been building up to for quite some time – and, we’re thrilled that so many of you are excited to dive in and check out what we’ve been hard at work on. Bearing in mind that the upcoming tech preview is […]</p>
I think this is when the devs are playing

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No halo looks or feels organic until you play it. I thought Halo 5 looked weird as hell, ended up good.
I think Halo 5 look was the best thing about the game, I can't stand the game and think it's awful. So I do agree it will take playing it to know how it feels and if each person likes it.