• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
www.yahoo.com

New Yahoo News/YouGov poll: Half of Trump supporters believe QAnon's imaginary claims

A full 50 percent of President Trump’s supporters now believe the bizarre, false claims of the extremist conspiracy theory known as QAnon.
3bf3d2d0-12ce-11eb-b6db-13db1809f9eb

For the most part, Trump's supporters respond the same way. Even when asked for their "opinion of QAnon," very few of them — just 16 percent of those who say they've heard of the movement — are willing to call it an extremist conspiracy theory with no basis in fact. Larger numbers, meanwhile, say "it goes too far but I believe some of what I've heard" (22 percent) or that they're "not sure" what to believe (47 percent). A striking 15 percent openly say "I think it's true."

In fact, many registered voters, including those who don't support Trump, are unsure about QAnon or even accept it to some degree, with 7 percent of those who've heard of it saying it's true, 11 percent saying "it goes too far but I believe some of what I've heard," and 23 percent saying they aren't sure.
Yet when you remove "QAnon" from the question and ask solely about the conspiracy theory's underlying myth — that President Trump is secretly fighting elite child sex trafficking rings run by leading Democratic politicians — far more people say they buy into it.

Here, a staggering 50 percent of Trump supporters say they believe top Democrats are involved in elite child sex trafficking rings. Roughly the same number (52 percent) say they believe Trump is working to dismantle such rings. Another third of Trump supporters (33 percent) say they're not sure whether these rings exist — which means that just 17 percent of Trump supporters reject the imaginary claims.

Among all registered voters, a quarter (25 percent) believe top Democrats are involved in elite child sex trafficking rings; another quarter (24 percent) aren't sure. The vast majority of Joe Biden's supporters — 82 percent — correctly identify the notion as preposterous.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only half?? I would have figured it was all of them.
Also who are these 18% of democrats who either believe in QAnon or are open to it?

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not surprised that his supporters believe it, but I am bloody surprised that a majority think he's actually doing something about it.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Why the hell would supporters of Joe Biden believe that Democrats are involved in sex trafficking!? And why would they vote for them anyway?! ARGGGHHHH

Qanon did not give a shit about child trafficking until they found something that stuck.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Do we know rough numbers? I know he got about 60 million votes, but I can't imagine those are "supporters". Maybe 30 million supporters and 15 million Qanon nutjobs? That's probably low the more I think about it.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, most Qanon believers know that straight-out saying "Qanon" will make you look crazy, so that's why all they call their rallies "Save the Children" rallies rather than Qanon rally or whatever. And then the nay-sayers can be seen as not caring about children etc. etc.

May 17, 2019
The depressing thing is that these theories have been going on for decades in some shape or form. Two years ago I was involved in a research project analyzing 19th century political cartoons. One of the was critiquing James G Blaine from Maine who wanted to build a wall to keep the Chinese out. Not much changes

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That social media allowed this damaging conspiracy shit to spread this long has greatly damaged a portion of our electorate. There is going to have to be some means of deprogramming going forward.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
WTF, USA. How did you reach this point?

I mean, we all have dumb people in our country, but that proportion seems way larger in USA. Is the education system that bad?

Deleted member 34169

User requested account closure
Nov 23, 2017
I always wonder who these 4 or 5% of "democrats" who always seem to be lock step with trump supporters are.

Fuchs

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is absolutely terrifying. Also similarly concerning is the number of people in my country believing some if not all of the Qanon garbage.
Mind you, whatever he says not only affects your country, but others too.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fascinated by the 4% of Biden supporters who nevertheless think Trump is working to dismantle a paedophile ring. Unless it's maybe people who are just thinking in the broadest Epstein sense.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Turns out they will believe anything they are told as long as they have faith in the establishment.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
conspiracy thought, but now for everyone

everyone gather around a Umbrella Man as he sings you a tale about the greys and their connection to the Coming race

don't forget your copy of the Turner Diaries on your way out

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
it's interesting that it is a yahoo poll. as far as I'm concerned, it's pretty much a tabloid
A lot of news articles on Yahoo are rehosted content from other sites, including right-wing sites of varying degrees of insanity. Ex. Tucker Carlson's Daily Caller is frequently found there. Fox News is frequently found there. Don't know if that's part of what gives it the impression of a tabloid, or if you're referring to Yahoo's own content.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly what happens when the President encourages and seemingly validates this dumb nonsense. So many want others to think for them, and they empowered this clown to be their circus ringleader.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
A lot of news articles on Yahoo are rehosted content from other sites, including right-wing sites of varying degrees of insanity. Ex. Tucker Carlson's Daily Caller is frequently found there. Fox News is frequently found there. Don't know if that's part of what gives it the impression of a tabloid, or if you're referring to Yahoo's own content.

You're right. It's the general impression that I get -- never took the time to distinguish the sources. Their front page will often have really stupid stories about celebrity gossip/some teacher that slept with a student/father who let a kid die in a hot car/spousal abuse/etc

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
WTF, USA. How did you reach this point?

I mean, we all have dumb people in our country, but that proportion seems way larger in USA. Is the education system that bad?
Getting worse all the time due to bad actors on the right. (Not that we don't have serious flaws apart from them, but they're making it worse.) One recent, particularly egregious example:
www.huffpost.com

Videos From Right-Wing Site That Preaches 'The Left Ruins Everything' Assigned In Ohio School

PragerU videos were recently assigned in an Ohio classroom. Turns out, the right-wing site is looking to further its influence in K-12 settings.
An Ohio public school has been giving students extra credit for watching videos from PragerU, a right-wing website that produces clips of talking heads such as Candace Owens and Ben Shapiro discussing conservative viewpoints, HuffPost has learned.

The PragerU videos — with titles such as "Build the Wall," "Why the Right Was Right" and "The Left Ruins Everything" — were assigned to a 10th-grade history class at Maumee High School, along with a series of questions about the videos' "most important messages."

The assignment came at the same time that the website has tried to gain further influence in K-12 classrooms. Earlier this month, the organization launched a program directly aimed at parents and educators, complete with study guides with sections such as "Conservatives Are the Real Environmentalists" and "The Ferguson Lie," based on a HuffPost review of the materials.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It's only going to grow because of that town hall he gave.

This is always how it works with Trump. There can be an issue that Trump supporters are largely negative on... maybe split but a large number are against, and then Trump will come out and support the issue, and rather than his supporters distancing themselves from Trump, they change their mind on the issue, or think "Well the liberal media doesn't present it fairly, the media is really to blame."

We can go down the list of just about everything that would have scared conservatives off from a candidate or politician in the past, and today very very few will leave Trump, instead, they embrace an issue that they wouldn't have embraced before. That's the power of a demagogue and the decades-long assault on truth and facts.

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
You're right. It's the general impression that I get -- never took the time to distinguish the sources. Their front page will often have really stupid stories about celebrity gossip/some teacher that slept with a student/father who let a kid die in a hot car/spousal abuse/etc
Oh okay, I hardly ever go to the site itself looking for news, I only get linked there from other sources. It looks like their News page is a lot less tabloidy than yahoo dot dom.

I pretty much only go to Google and DuckDuckGo for search, so I forget how annoying some of these search portals are.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to hear about those 5% Biden voters who believe the claims. Do they want in on the action?

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Getting worse all the time due to bad actors on the right. (Not that we don't have serious flaws apart from them, but they're making it worse.) One recent, particularly egregious example:
www.huffpost.com

Videos From Right-Wing Site That Preaches 'The Left Ruins Everything' Assigned In Ohio School

PragerU videos were recently assigned in an Ohio classroom. Turns out, the right-wing site is looking to further its influence in K-12 settings.
Wait, in a PUBLIC SCHOOL? with Public funds? Holy shit, even in my country that would be wrong in so many levels.

The plan of dismantling public institutions (in particular public schools) to push a conservative agenda is working like a charm in the richest country in the world. Not a good look for the rest of the planet, tbh.

Oct 30, 2017
Lmao

The Mueller report was supposed to actually be about bringing down dozens of Democrats involved in this stuff.
QANON is just about on the cusp of the mainstream Republican platform.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
www.huffpost.com

This is grotesque

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, most Qanon believers know that straight-out saying "Qanon" will make you look crazy, so that's why all they call their rallies "Save the Children" rallies rather than Qanon rally or whatever. And then the nay-sayers can be seen as not caring about children etc. etc.

Fun Fact: Qanon organizers later changed the rallies to be "Save Our Children" rallies instead of "Save The Children" rallies because Bill Gates Foundation already has a campaign called Save The Children, and the Qanon interpretation of Bill Gates is that he is actually an evil mastermind looking to use the coronavirus to plant mind controlling chips in people via vaccine distribution.