• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Fuck yeah, VR is such a massive leap forward in gaming that it's disappointing more of the forum isn't open minded about it. These awards help for better or worse

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved.

On a side note, if all of the outlets who were part of the voting committee for The Game Awards end up having different GotYs than TLOU2 it will make it seem a little odd as to why that game won.
Not necessarily. For example, maybe everybody had a different first place pick but TLOU2 was everybody's second place pick

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
13 SENTINELS ROBBED YET AGAIN!
lol

Screen-Shot-2020-12-17-at-11-46-23-AM.png

OT: I wish I could play this game, man. I know it would be my GOTY, but I just can't bring myself to invest in VR.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, an actual good decision from Gamespot for once. Well deserved for Alyx.

It still makes me happy as hell when they gave GOTY to Demon's Souls years ago. Easily one of the best games from that gen, period.

But seriously, this makes me so fucking happy that Alyx got this win. It's very much a polished game that pushes the entire medium forward, and at the same time, pushing HL forward. It keeps the trend of HL setting the bar and I fucking love it.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
The only place that got it right!!!! Fantastic game and got an index just for it. Hopefully in future everyone will get a chance to play it.

Soi-Fong

Oct 29, 2017
Illinois
Fucking awesome! I'm hoping Half Life: Alyx goes on sale during the Steam Winter Sale. Excited to try it with the Quest 2 wirelessly w/ Virtual Desktop.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope to play it one day when I have a machine to do so, and wasn't there a thread complaining about how this game was going unnoticed?

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Haven't played it (and doesn't seem like I ever will sadly) but it looks like an incredible game nonetheless. Congrats to the team at Valve!

Hopefully this paves the way for some more HL in the future. Pretty please.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I get every 1st party valve game for free on my steam indefinitely because of the steam link issues, but I bounced off this one to a surprising degree.

Maybe it was my setup (was using Rift and not Vive), but the motion controls never felt great to me (particularly the reloading and picking stuff up off the ground). Only made it about halfway through before bailing for greener pastures.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Well deserved.

On a side note, if all of the outlets who were part of the voting committee for The Game Awards end up having different GotYs than TLOU2 it will make it seem a little odd as to why that game won.
Do you know the jury was over 90 sites around the world? or do you think the GOTY was chosen by the US press? all brazilian sites is choosing Part II as GOTY and one of them was among the voting jury, and I expect a lot of european as well, only US press is not so positive about, I ask myself why.

Oct 6, 2020
Yeah, I'm generally not in the VR target market as it just doesn't fit my lifestyle.

But in spite of that I'm both happy for Alyx and just a tad jealous of VR peeps too, lol.

This was the game that actually proved the concept to me. I finally got rid of my CV1 when I wasn't compelled to finish this.

I'll try one more time if/when PSVR2 comes out

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Probably used a ranked voting system. A game can win by ranking high on everyone's list but few no.1
Not necessarily. For example, maybe everybody had a different first place pick but TLOU2 was everybody's second place pick
If nothing has changed from years ago, its not how it works, the jury receive the categories and have to choose 5 games to each, so the 5 games with most nominees is announced as the " nominees", with a video every year, them the same jury panel has to chose 1 game for each category, the one with most votes wins, there is no ranking system.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
Great pick. Despite it being very hard for me to play for more than like 45 mins at a time, I thoroughly enjoyed Alyx lol

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I am very excited to check this out, I may be getting a Oculus Quest 2 for Christmas, and the idea of playing this wirelessly in VR is making me excited even if I just end up playing this one game with it.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Literally the only true next generation experience I've had all year. So much innovation in such a beautiful and fun game, incredibly well deserved.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Do you know the jury was over 90 sites around the world?

Yes.

or do you think the GOTY was chosen by the US press?

No

all brazilian sites is choosing Part II as GOTY and one of them was among the voting jury, and I expect a lot of european as well

Your prediction not happening is also a possibility.

only US press is not so positive about

This is false.

It all depends on which outlets you follow.

Gamerasi

Sep 30, 2019
I re-purchase Oculus for this game and had a little regret after finishing it. Although there are no games of this year, I had more fun at Astro Bot Rescue Mission and Resident Evil.

Blackrobe

Nov 1, 2019
Awesome! By far and away the best title I played this year, my GOTY. I can't wait for more awesome VR games!

Bring on the future!!

(It also allowed the creation of my favorite video of the year ^-^)

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
thats pretty cool

i think after cp77 i'll do a half life playthrough again (including alyx this time). black mesa recently coming out helps with that as well