• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see so many people excited for door simulator.

Hopefully index gets discounted on winter sale. Probably not tho :(

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
I'm calling it now. Orange Box 2 releasing on 12/25/19 for $60.

Contents include:

- Half-Life Alyx (VR)
- Half-Life 3
- Left 4 Dead 3
- Team Fortress 3
- Portal 3

Watch as the world burns.

Burns? More like rejoices in celebration

tumblr_oj4jgsMioQ1qdnfhqo3_540.gif

Gunter

Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Soooooooo if this game does well (and it most definitely will), doesn't that greatly increase the chances of them making HL3?

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Just having a new Half-Life out in the public mind's again is just crazy; even with all the long-running rumors of its existence. Even if it takes me awhile past its initial release, if this game is good I will definitely start saving for a VR Headset.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
nah they just wanta sale their vr set... I just want a ogPC game half life 3 with source engine 3 tech literally insane graphics and a fucking conclusion to the series... not some vr shit im not gonna buy. :/
FPS games have been iterated on for two decades, there's way more ground to break in VR development these days. Especially for a team as talented as Valve. Half Life is all about paradigm shifts, that's why this is a VR game.

oskilatah

Banned
May 31, 2019
This is rad. I don't have vr and would have to do some minor pc upgrades to make this happen and yet I'm still thrilled. Excited to see what Valve does in the vr space. It's rather frustrating seeing the drive by posting maligning the release. Save the faux outrage for after the reveal.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This game will be better and more important than any version of HL3 they could have made
I am inclined to agree, but... "better?" No one can say what might have been or what will be in regard to this vs a potential HL3. "More important?" For sure 100%, even if the hypothetical HL3 was the game of the generation.

Valve making a flagship VR game is basically without an equivalent sea change in modern terms.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017

Grabbity Gloves lol perfect. I was just thinking earlier today it'd be cool to just use virtual hands to manipulate objects instead of the old gravity gun. Imagining using gloves to throw some of those disintegration orbs from the Citadel at enemies :P

Being able to pick up two different objects, one in each hand and throw at multiple enemies, its gonna be some crazy power fantasy shit turned to 11.

I think this will push me to get Index controllers for that finger tracking accuracy. You know its going to be implemented perfectly in this.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling
Good that Valve remembered they are a game developer that's an Epic turns of events.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
nah they just wanta sale their vr set... I just want a ogPC game half life 3 with source engine 3 tech literally insane graphics and a fucking conclusion to the series... not some vr shit im not gonna buy. :/

I'd rather see Valve's full support behind an exciting new technology than a shiny FPS of which we get plenty.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like how some folks are acting like they actually believed Valve wasn't going to go this route with HL. This was always the way forward.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Still feels unreal. Very much getting a VR headset for this, though not at release. Wanna see if Valve hasn't lost their Half-Life touch

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like it is gonna be episodic?

"Half life: Alyx"
"Halflife: Gordon" ?

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Thank you for posting that. I had no idea. So what does Valve get out of this? Why would they not keep there secrets to themselves? Isnt steam VR free? What is the end game here?

In those early days they expected Oculus and other hardware makers to produce the hardware while they (Valve) sold all the software on Steam. They did not foresee Oculus, HTC, or whomever setting up their own VR storefronts...or if they did, they didn't forecast exclusive funding/buyouts having any kind of success and would have expected them to crash and burn within a year. No one else even took advantage of their free R&D spoils cause it's batshit crazy expensive, which is why the LG headset never made it out of trade show prototype phase and no other companies even got that far. The pair of basestations and arrays of sensors likely add over $300 to the bill of materials in raw costs...and that's just for the core tracking components with no profit. Lighthouse based HMD bundles would pretty much have to sell for $800+ to turn a profit on hardware.

Last edited:

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
For real tho I hope they learned something from Episode 2 which to this day is the best of what HL 2 could have been

HL 2 itself was so fucking boring from start to finish. Too many meaningless vehicle sequences and the level design was straight up unremarkable. Also the AI was kinda terrible compared to 1