• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am absolutely not hyped for a game that will undoubtedly be more about showing off Valve's VR technology than telling a compelling story with good gameplay.

It's not Half Life 3, Valve still isn't going to admit that that is never happening. This feels more like using the Half Life brand to sell copies of their VR tech more than a game developer coming out of a decade long hiatus to reveal the next masterpiece entry of a legendary game series.

lol

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
tumblr_mj0iufXiz81s48o1wo8_250.gif

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda surreal to be honest HL2 is one of my favourite games of all time.

Valve don't make stuff unless they believe in it so the fact that this has been announced at all means a LOT has already gone into it. They know the legacy, and the weight of this announcement. High hopes.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the leaker on reddit

I've been told that they indeed worked on both VR and NONVR (flat) versions of the game, but they havent finished the flat version as the project was shut down. I interpreted it wrong, he said the flat version is not in the final product. I apologise for the confusion.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
OH MY FUCKING GOD! I'M FUCKING CRYING RIGHT NOW, IT'S FUCKING REAL! HOLY SHIT! A NEW HALF-LIFE GAME! OMG! ASLKDHNASLODJNASLOIKFHNASLOÇKVNKASLÇKJVNVNASÇKLVNAKLVJNASDKLVNSDKJNBVBDSKJBVNKSDJBVNSDBASD,ANSFLHNSDVÇLOSDNKVÇBOLFNDKBLKFNDBLKFDM

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's a full-fledged VR killer-app and not some no-budget thing.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Very curious how it will look, like character models and such. HL2 and the episodes were a long time ago so in my head that's what the characters look like.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Only in the sense that Valve said they were working on three Full Experience VR Games at one point. They never announced any details.

It's only recently that one of them was confirmed to be Half-Life. No idea, I think, what the other two are gonna be.

Nah a HL universe tie-in VR game was always discussed as one of the three. Maybe not some official press release statement deal but as another poster in this thread said, one of the worst kept secrets. They never really tried to hide it. We've known about this for a minute now. Not it being Alyx focused or a prequel mind you.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so they were working on a non vr version, but dropped it to focus on the vr version?

Sounds like. I have a feeling that they will pick the project back up after they've sold through a bunch of VR headsets.

As much as people are here hoping for mods to allow non-vr. I doubt it. This game has had two different versions in development apparently.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I won't believe it until I've finished it and acquired all achievements.

New installments of Half-Life, Gears, Halo, Star Wars on Steam within the same year, WHAT IS GOING ON?

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Screw all the people who said this day would never come and who mocked the HL franchise!!!! The meme is dead!

And no, it doesnt matter that its a prequel. Its a new full-blown HL game made by Valve.

Mad1723

Oct 27, 2017
For the 1000th time, it will work with Oculus, Windows MR, Vive, Vive Pro, Index, Pimax, whatever works with SteamVR basically. You don't need the Index

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it's a prequel that leads up to the events of HL2 (Hopefully not) or a sequel.

Valve are making a news single player experience half-life taking advantage of all the benefits that VR brings? I think it's normal to be excited to see what they show?

That's the thing with the last two HL games. They took advantage of something. The first is widely acclaimed for taking advantage of set pieces to tell a story without ever removing you from the gameplay for a custscene and the second is widely acclaimed for it's use of physics.

I always thought Half Life 3 or whatever would require some new technology for Valve. I don't think they'd make a Half Life 4, 5, 6 etc or whatever unless there's something new for them to focus on.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game ends with "Gordon! you're back! " "Hello Alyx"

We are totally getting thrown by Dog in cool VR scenes.

sauce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to see what innovation they're bringing to the table. While gaming is a lot more mature than when HL2 released, VR is still a pretty unexplored territory.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You know that this is going to end with an explicit tease for Half-Life 3 and I'm not being facetious when I tell you that I may actually go into cardiac arrest.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I am absolutely not hyped for a game that will undoubtedly be more about showing off Valve's VR technology than telling a compelling story with good gameplay.

It's not Half Life 3, Valve still isn't going to admit that that is never happening. This feels more like using the Half Life brand to sell copies of their VR tech more than a game developer coming out of a decade long hiatus to reveal the next masterpiece entry of a legendary game series.
Good lord, let valve pioneer triple A vr games. Nobody has done it. Its their baby, i believe we will get a.complelling story. Its not like many games have good stories these days.

Valve did say a few years back they were waiting for technology to move forward for more immersion. This is it. The time has come where they believe technology is there. Believe.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
I'm more surprised about the fact that people had not heard rumors about this existing and believing it to be real.

Next up HLAR