• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
More than 511,000 lives could be lost by 28 February next year, modeling led by scientists from the University of Washington found. This means that with cases surging in many states, particularly the upper midwest, what appears to be a third major peak of coronavirus infections in the US could lead to nearly 300,000 people dying in just the next four months.

The situation will be even more disastrous if states continue to ease off on measures designed to restrict the spread of the virus, such as the shuttering of certain businesses and social distancing edicts. If states wind down such protections, the death toll could top 1 million people in America by 28 February, the study found.

Even if states implement restrictions when Covid deaths hit eight people per million, as has been standard, the projected death toll of 511,000 will still be more than all the lives lost by the US in the second world war. America will face a "continued public health challenge" beyond February, the study, published in Nature Medicine, warns.

A further 130,000 lives could be saved by February, the researchers found, if 95% of the American population adopted consistent mask-wearing. The universal use of masks is a "relatively affordable and low-impact intervention" which "has the potential to serve as a priority life-saving strategy in all US states", the study states.

Around half of people in the US say they always wear a mask, according to polling.

"People have already formulated opinions on this," Redlener said. "It's become an ideological position, a symbol of resistance to science that has unfortunately become locked in. If Biden is elected we will have a very strong national mask policy but by then we may well see an active rebellion to that."

www.theguardian.com

US nears daily Covid cases record amid warning of 500,000 deaths by February

Trump says US entering ‘final turn’ as scientists say situation could worsen if states ease measures designed to slow spread of virus

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Biden wins and dems get the senate, if we'll see them ask states to shut down for a month again or something to try and hit the reset button in a way.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if those refusing to wear a mask believed this study they still probably wouldn't wear one.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
You could say people who died from COVID would come back to life if we had 95% of Americans wearing masks and it still wouldn't happen.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
"It's become an ideological position, a symbol of resistance to science that has unfortunately become locked in. If Biden is elected we will have a very strong national mask policy but by then we may well see an active rebellion to that."

This is it right here. Trump poisoned the well. To all those that say he isn't responsible for COVID, remember that he is responsible for this right here. His messaging literally kills people.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
This is it right here. Trump poisoned the well. To all those that say he isn't responsible for COVID, remember that he is responsible for this right here. His messaging literally kills people.
That's when we start fining people heavily for refusing to wear masks. If we can ticket people for not wearing a seatbelt, we can ticket them for not wearing a mask.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
If the Blue Wave 2.0 happens, we have to do shut things down but some idiots will still fuck up.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
Trump coming through covid unscathed (that we know of) will only reinforce the idea in the minds of morons that it's not a deadly disease.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017

This is the reason why I am dreading next year if a Democratic Congress does the right thing and makes all states shut down. It's going to be a political shitshow, and Republicans along with Trump poisoned the well. Something so sensible and rational has become a rallying point. I normally wouldn't shrug if a bunch of fucking idiots wanted to endanger their own lives, but everyone is at risk with their recklessness.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
This is the reason why I am dreading next year if a Democratic Congress does the right thing and makes all states shut down. It's going to be a political shitshow, and Republicans along with Trump poisoned the well. Something so sensible and rational has become a rallying point. I normally wouldn't shrug if a bunch of fucking idiots wanted to endanger their own lives, but everyone is at risk with their recklessness.
It's also mentally exhausting to see these people screaming that we have to open everything while refusing to help in doing so.

- Open the schools!
Ok, lets get our numbers down by wearing masks and not having large gatherings
- NO!

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
It's also mentally exhausting to see these people screaming that we have to open everything while refusing to help in doing so.

- Open the schools!
Ok, lets get our numbers down by wearing masks and not having large gatherings
- NO!

I work as an epidemiologist for a county health department in Florida, and I'm gonna leave the field when I have a chance. It's honestly not worth this departmental and public frustration I see and deal with every single day.

tmarg

Oct 25, 2017
Kalamazoo
To get anywhere near that level of complaince, not only would we need a nationwide mandate, but we would need to eliminate all of the "exceptions" that people are allowed to claim. I can't see it happening.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I think we should go beyond that to arrest people.
Unfortunately that means packing (more) people in a jail, giving the virus a better chance. I like the idea of fining people, and maybe even garnishing their wages. Attacking somebody's dollars will get them to straighten up real quick.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Even if states implement restrictions when Covid deaths hit eight people per million, as has been standard, the projected death toll of 511,000 will still be more than all the lives lost by the US in the second world war.
Perhaps a good third of this country will tell us that more American lives than in WWII disappearing from the population is all an illusion.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
The republicans will bitch about how Covid was under control until Biden got into office. How his shutdowns is tanking the economy that was the best it ever has been before, mask enforcement is him taking freedoms away. I'm not American but even I'm getting mad at the inevitable... I'm sorry for every sane American.

It's frustrating enough in a country that did somewhat ok with Covid. Stay safe

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
I 100% support the mask wearing call, but I am a bit skeptical of these numbers.
If you look at hospitalizations our second wave was pretty equivalent to the first in numbers, but we had a smaller death spike due to a better understanding of the virus.
Right now we in the midst of a third wave, and hospitalizations are starting to follow, and a spike in deaths is due.
However, to reach 300,000 more deaths in four months we will need a consistent death rate at 2,500 deaths a day. This is a rate we haven't seen since May or so, and It would have to sustain itself.
I feel that they are underestimating the self limiting effect of a spike in COVID. If the number of deaths really starts to rise again, people will start to pull back out of fear. And for our death toll to rise to a 2,500 everyday average we will need a giant wave that dwarfs the previous ones.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah, it's fucking infuriating how people just don't give a fuck about doing their part.

I just found out earlier this week that one of my old classmates passed away from Covid. She had just gotten engaged, got a new job, a new house, and things were looking so good for her. And now she's gone. I'm not sure how old she was, but I doubt she was any older or younger than me (I'm 41). It's just so heartbreaking and frustrating how cavalierly people are treating this epidemic.

I'm just so over these selfish assholes. Wear a fucking mask. Social distance. Or better yet, stay home if that's possible (I know some folks have to work, and I don't fault them at all; this is more towards the people that selfishly go out to crowded parties, don't wear masks, and don't social distance. FUCK YOU PEOPLE).

Dec 31, 2017
It's really that simple. Either we can't be arsed enough to put a cloth over our face to save 100k or we step up.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Witnessed a guy wearing an American flag shirt with camo pants and no mask yelling at employees at Harris Teeter today that he has every right to shop maskless. Last thing I heard him say was I DIDNT ANYTHING as security ushered him out. Fuck the maskless.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
I 100% support the mask wearing call, but I am a bit skeptical of these numbers.
If you look at hospitalizations our second wave was pretty equivalent to the first in numbers, but we had a smaller death spike due to a better understanding of the virus.
Right now we in the midst of a third wave, and hospitalizations are starting to follow, and a spike in deaths is due.
However, to reach 300,000 more deaths in four months we will need a consistent death rate at 2,500 deaths a day. This is a rate we haven't seen since May or so, and It would have to sustain itself.
I feel that they are underestimating the self limiting effect of a spike in COVID. If the number of deaths really starts to rise again, people will start to pull back out of fear. And for our death toll to rise to a 2,500 everyday average we will need a giant wave that dwarfs the previous ones.

Your thoughts here are not factoring the different influenza strains that will run through the country that will exacerbate the problem. On top of that, our "second wave" which was an extension of the first wave happened during the warm seasons of the year. When more and more people go indoors because it's freezing outside, this increases the spreading of COVID-19.

When more and more people get sick from whatever reason, whether it's the flu, the cold, or COVID-19, hospital capacity will become overloaded, this will increase death rates. So, no the number is not too crazy of a figure for our country to hit during the flu season. This is especially true since we are already hitting above 80k new cases daily and the number will likely go up as the weather gets colder.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/u-...ly-covid-19-cases-83000.311995/#post-49293781

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Your thoughts here are not factoring the different influenza strains that will run through the country that will exacerbate the problem. On top of that, our "second wave" which was an extension of the first wave happened during the warm seasons of the year. When more and more people go indoors because it's freezing outside, this increases the spreading of COVID-19.

When more and more people get sick from whatever reason, whether it's the flu, the cold, or COVID-19, hospital capacity will become overloaded, this will increase death rates. So, no the number is not too crazy of a figure for our country to hit during the flu season.
I agree with Danby that the death rates are going down and I think it will stay that way as doctors continue to get better at treating this.

That doesn't mean I think we shouldn't try to contain it. I also think that numbers will spike during the winter, I just don't think we will hit 500k by February.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't heard of any covid deaths between either of my hospitals lately.

99nikniht

Oct 28, 2017
I agree with Danby that the death rates are going down and I think it will stay that way as doctors continue to get better at treating this.

That doesn't mean I think we shouldn't try to contain it. I also think that numbers will spike during the winter, I just don't think we will hit 500k by February.

Yeah, I don't deny Danby's point about how the healthcare systems in the country are better equipped to handle COVID-19 than compared to the early months of March - June. However, I also do not believe it's too far fetch of an idea that we can possibly have a huge spike in death rates with all the potential factors of cold and influenza simultaneous infections with COVID-19. I just hope it wouldn't be true, but I am expecting the worse.

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020

When more and more people get sick from whatever reason, whether it's the flu, the cold, or COVID-19, hospital capacity will become overloaded, this will increase death rates. So, no the number is not too crazy of a figure for our country to hit during the flu season. This is especially true since we are already hitting above 80k new cases daily and the number will likely go up as the weather gets colder.

Some good points here. Overcrowed hospitals is one way that could lead to more deaths. People are being more careful than previous years so it we will see how badly the regular flu spreads, leading to more overcrowding.
And I didn't think about if the colder weather will affect the spread.
Ultimately this will still require a large wave, and hopefully this doesn't happen.
I still feel that double our current deaths in only four months is little excessive, unless we are considering the real toll (the excess deaths at 300,000). That is much more likely to reach 500,000

Last edited:

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I don't deny Danby's point about how the healthcare systems in the country are better equipped to handle COVID-19 than compared to the early months of March - June. However, I also do not believe it's too far fetch of an idea that we can possibly have a huge spike in death rates with all the potential factors of cold and influenza simultaneous infections with COVID-19. I just hope it wouldn't be true, but I am expecting the worse.
I think we will get a spike and it will be significant and horrible, just not at the high end of those numbers.

I am also a internet know nothing about this stuff like almost everyone else so I am not going to act like I am an expert in these subjects, which almost none of us really are equipped to predict accurately.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017

The issue now is it's spreading in parts of the country that just don't have any kind of restrictions and are completely against restrictions. Also this outbreak is heading towards nationwide while the one March was very localized in many areas. Between that and a very cold winter. It's not going to be a good one. 300k seems high but who knows at this point