• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Krooner

Oct 27, 2017
And I'd assume so does Niko Bellics?

The actor moaned about royalty payments IIRC. When Niko appears in 'Episodes from Liberty City' Rockstar made sure he didn't speak. In fact the last time Niko appears in the universe he silently mouths "fuck you" directly to camera... A message to the VA probably.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
The actor moaned about royalty payments IIRC. When Niko appears in 'Episodes from Liberty City' Rockstar made sure he didn't speak. In fact the last time Niko appears in the universe he silently mouths "fuck you" directly to camera... A message to the VA probably.
That isn't true, the last time niko appeared is in ballad of gay tony and he didn't mouth fuck you.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
I'm not sure why the GTA voice actors would really expect to make millions off of a GTA game. They're not going to give a voice actor a percentage of the gross because these games pretty much sell themselves and they don't need to offer points on the backend. The VAs are not what sells the games or attracts a massive audience.

its this. And if any VA comes in wanting points, they'll move on to the next candidate. Supply & demand.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
How much does the game make and is it proportionate to the effort of voicing is a less ignorant question
Why is how much the game makes relevant? Does he deserve more money than, for instance the actress in control because the game made more money? Lets be real here, he's not why that game made crazy money.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Why is how much the game makes relevant? Does he deserve more money than, for instance the actress in control because the game made more money? Lets be real here, he's not why that game made crazy money.

I would say most people deserve more money, belittling the creativity or how impressive the VA was for GTA games in the PS2 era is pretty silly. And I'm unsure how one determines with any certainty one or two factors beyond all others why a product is successful. I remember CJ being voiced really damn well back then.

At some point, the people working on the game, whether it's programmers, artists, producers, voice actors, marketing, etc deserve a lot of the credit. No one is discounting the impact the Housers have had on the industry, but it's not like they're singlehandedly doing all these things.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get it. Did they ask him to be in GTA 6 for a pittance or something? Why is he just now complaining?

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017

The people that work countless hours and crunch like crazy to make these games are the ones that deserve royalties. I don't feel for this voice actor at all.

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

That should be a thing regulated in the guy's contract. I'm assuming he's just lashing out because he signed a bad contract. I don't think a studio like Rockstar can get away with not paying actors their due for like a decade and longer, without that being a thing at all until an actor makes a ruckus on twitter. At the same time...nothing in this industry would surprise me anymore, honestly.

As someone said already, Rockstar probably know these games are making bank, no matter the actor, so I doubt they have something like paying residuals in their contracts.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

If the company signs talent that they know can be exploited with various conditions on account of being unknown while knowing their pay is less than what the overall product will cost..that can be seen as manipulative. Especially when it comes to va who only just recently came together to make noise about industry practices via sag aftra

Vas are just as much apart of game dev as any other aspect and deserve to be treated with respect. But if were gonna act like anyone in game dev can just be mistreated and replaced...

strideredge

Oct 25, 2017
If its the same as with GTA4 he didn't even know he was working on a GTA game. Worked on a code named project probably not listed as rockstar or take2 and didn't know what it was til really close to release. I'm assuming its coming up now for royalties or something like not knowing they did a phone port.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
If its the same as with GTA4 he didn't even know he was working on a GTA game. Worked on a code named project probably not listed as rockstar or take2 and didn't know what it was til really close to release. I'm assuming its coming up now for royalties or something like not knowing they did a phone port.
Yup. Companies can hide what you're doing to give you less expectations. Like when Disney was launching their Florida project, to buy land for cheap as unknown subsidiaries. Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's ethical.

Oct 28, 2017
It was Rockstar voice actors who spoke at a California Occupational Safety & Health Standards Board meeting requesting a law to limit studio time and complaining of vocal cord injuries due to harsh conditions- i.e. having to scream for long periods of time.

Oct 27, 2017
It's all about money. Listen, it sucks that the games they helped make made a shitload and they only received what they signed for, but there's literally thousands of Rockstar employees who also don't see the money their games make.

Also, maybe a bit of what he's angry about has something to do with the rumoured/speculated GTA V DLC featuring CJ that came from a panel the three GTA V voice actors did back in 2013? I seem to remember something on Instagram or Twitter about this, too. I believe he posted images or videos about something GTA V related? Maybe somebody with a better memory can, well, remember what exactly it was. Either way, that obviously never happened so it got canceled or it was never in the works to begin with.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
"game makes BILLIONS and the VA doesn't see 10% of that" seems like an extraordinarily dumb argument to make.

Vic20

Nov 10, 2019
It's all about money. Listen, it sucks that the games they helped make made a shitload and they only received what they signed for, but there's literally thousands of Rockstar employees who also don't see the money their games make.

Also, maybe a bit of what he's angry about has something to do with the rumoured/speculated GTA V DLC featuring CJ that came from a panel the three GTA V voice actors did back in 2013? I seem to remember something on Instagram or Twitter about this, too. I believe he posted images or videos about something GTA V related? Maybe somebody with a better memory can, well, remember what exactly it was. Either way, that obviously never happened so it got canceled or it was never in the works to begin with.
The rumor turned out to be Franklin va and cj va collaborating on a project unrelated to gta.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The people that work countless hours and crunch like crazy to make these games are the ones that deserve royalties. I don't feel for this voice actor at all.
So now we went from being ignorant about how developers make games to now being ignorant about how VOs arent working for the money they demand

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
At this point, I'm pretty convinced that my supporting Rockstar is going toward supporting pretty toxic work culture. I feel like I can't go a year without someone within their talent pool coming forth about bad work conditions or just general disrespect. Rockstar clearly has so much success that I'm worried that they feel validated to act toxic, like they're convinced it's the secret ingredient to their success... :/

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
ENIo7rmW4AADY_o.jpg

Looks like it's because of pay

Vultures from London? Making billions off him?

Maybe it the people that make the games had something more to do with the success of said games than him...

Alcohog

Apr 18, 2018
I'm guessing he didn't read the fine print and if he is angry at anyone it should be his agent, and if he didn't have an agent then he's just projecting anger at himself back at Rockstar.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
This is always about their pay after the fact. Isn't this kind of the same thing that Voice Actors for games have been fighting for recently? Like better studio time pay and conditions?
I wanna say the Niko voice actor was pissed because he recorded his parts - got paid the normal amounts - and then watched GTA4 make a fucking billion dollars and he got none of that pie.

I dunno. I get the anger/frustration but ... these guys HAVE to know what's up right? Like you're gonna be in a GTA game. It's gonna sell fucking gangbusters. And no .. you're not gonna get any of that residual and royalty pay. I don't think this catches any of them by surprise. I think it just festers and burns as R* piles up stacks and they don't get called back for roles or a boost to their career cause people still don't recognize them anywhere or anything. (Except fucking Trevor...)
They dont know the industry, not everyone is Mark Meer/Jennifer Hale, if they were gaming entusiasts they would know how this works, they dont expect .
Althought, Rockstar should try to keep their VAs happy, again, like Bioware with the Mass Effect cast, even if they arent paid that much, its heartwarming when a VA talks proudly of a franchise where he worked.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Rockstar VAs seem to skew in two very different directions

the cast of the red dead redemption series and GTA V have nothing but good things to say

but Niko's VA and now Maylay have lambasted them

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
It's ashame these guys aren't told how much they will be paid for the job before they do it. They should probably sign some type of contract for an amount they find acceptable beforehand to avoid these situations.

They did...they did sign a contract for the amount they found acceptable at the time.

They want more now because the game made millions. But I don't think it was because of them, or that they deserve more money because of it

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
Whats this? Another example of R* being shitty? It's almost like we've known this for years but people get blinded every time they release a new game. Christ they nearly worked their devs to death for RDR2 why is anyone surprised at this.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
"game makes BILLIONS and the VA doesn't see 10% of that" seems like an extraordinarily dumb argument to make.

'dumb' isn't the word for this. imagine how friggin' delighted this guy was back then when notified he got the job. it's not like rockstar put a gun to his head or anything. he accepted their offer, & signed a contract. the end...

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Wow lmao I did not know that, but I guess basically the same thing the witcher author did.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how much money the developers made percentage wise compared to the money made lol. Seriously, yall need to see how little everyone on the bottom level makes.

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
A VA from a 15 year old game is salty about not getting mailbox money. I await the thread informing us that Dana Gould is taking to Twitter about not appearing in the follow-up to Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
In the scheme of a video games I really don't think VA's take top precedent when it comes to royalties/pay for work on videogames. There are people who work a lot harder and make a lot less on a single videogame.
And yet if you want to keep using a song for a rerelease you typically have to pay for it. Why should this not be true for VAs....or anybody else for that matter?

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Dude, you agreed to whatever payment agreement that was in your contract. If you didn't think it was sufficient at the time then you could have turned it down.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
that depends entirely on the original contract signed for the song rights...
Exactly.
It may suck in the perspective of "well the game sells a ton why not share?!"; but the reality is that the contract already stipulated it.

If they wanted more; that clause should've been there before signing...and Rockstar would've passed on to the next actor that signed said contract without any additional clauses.