• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
So now that the show is over I am going to start reading the books...but before I do; are there any editions/version I should read or nothing of that sort exists. Just wanna be sure.
The first book got re-released with a lot of cool illustrations. They are planning to do the same with the others. 2nd book in that format comes out soonish.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly think it may need to end up being three books

Winds of Winter
A Time for Wolves
A Dream Of Spring

WOW ends with Dany getting to Westeros, Wolves ends with her going crazy, Dream has a lot more epilogue stuff than the show

I would not be surprised if that were the case. WoW alone is going to be easily over a 1,000 pages.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
He'll keep the ending but how he gets there will be vastly different imo. He isn't gonna be rushing to the end like d&d, things will have the right amount of room to breathe.

That's if he finishes by some miracle ofcourse lol
I know that D&D said early on that Martin shared the plotpoints with them but I seriously doubt that the books are going to follow the last few seasons of the show in any meaningful way.

Aside from the fact that there are serious differences in terms of plot/characters by the point in the show where the books ended the way that GRRM writes is completely different that the method that the showrunners used. He may have started with a general idea of where things were going to end in Westeros when he wrote the first book but he'll allow the story to progress to the ending organically, he won't work backwards like the show did in painful fashion.

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
What if that's what happened in 2015? Not "it was shit and I had to start over." His shitty computer crashed and he had to start from scratch?

Doubtful. I'm sure his publishers and staff have plans in place. I would imagine every letter he types is backed up instantly. No way they'd risk it all being lost due to a hardware/software issue.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I know that D&D said early on that Martin shared the plotpoints with them but I seriously doubt that the books are going to follow the last few seasons of the show in any meaningful way.

Aside from the fact that there are serious differences in terms of plot/characters by the point in the show where the books ended the way that GRRM writes is completely different that the method that the showrunners used. He may have started with a general idea of where things were going to end in Westeros when he wrote the first book but he'll allow the story to progress to the ending organically, he won't work backwards like the show did in painful fashion.
The showrunners got GRRM's plans post ADWD (the last published book) so it's not really that out of date.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't see how GRRM finishes in 2 books.

The last 30 minutes of the HBO finale is probably ~200 pages of book viewpoint chapters for everyone who's still alive to wrap things up.

Oct 27, 2017
The ending felt like the kind of thing I'd expect from a story that is told specifically from the POV of a select number of characters. I have no doubt the final placement of Jon, Dany, Arya, Sansa, Bran, Davos, Theon, etc etc will be mostly the same or very similar. It'll just be the context and shades surrounding these characters will be wildly different.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
The ending felt like the kind of thing I'd expect from a story that is told specifically from the POV of a select number of characters. I have no doubt the final placement of Jon, Dany, Arya, Sansa, Bran, Davos, Theon, etc etc will be mostly the same or very similar. It'll just be the context and shades surrounding these characters will be wildly different.

So much of their final fates are telegraphed in the books themselves and there's likely more in missing since I haven't read them in years. Time for that reread I think.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
And as I said the idea that the two (show and books) will follow the same paths make little sense. The story in the show began to diverge from the books prior to them even getting to ADWD.

I was talking with my friends last night after the finale and we were just going over how many more pieces are still in play in the books. Things might end up in a similar place but there's so much more going on that I can't help but see that the journey is going to be completely different. And I know George R. R. Marin won't just leave out major side players. Like Dorne has a huge part to play and he wouldn't just allow Cersei to blow up the sept and the most popular queen without exploring the ramifications.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah; to me the problem isn't the plot points themselves... it's that without the books, it just feels like they were adapting the Wikipedia page instead of a novel.

yeah, his, not yours
I get this, and the whole "GRRM is not your servant" attitude; but at the same time he's chosen to be a public persona, and have lots of interactions and set expectations with his fans... so it's not like he's just some hermit in a cabin that'll come down when the books are done. He's done some to hype them up as well, and it's getting to be very long with no clear communications. Hell, in his own introductions to the books he talks about how long it's going to be until the next book.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah; to me the problem isn't the plot points themselves... it's that without the books, it just feels like they were adapting the Wikipedia page instead of a novel.

My feelings exactly. The season was basically a cliff notes version of the full story.

I really wish Martin would finish the damn books so we can get the full story. The story and characters were so carefully crafted and then they just did a rush job to finish it off at the end. It's too bad.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah, his, not yours

And where would his life's work be without the fans, exactly?

Remember Pat Rothfuss? Wise Man's Fear came out in 2011, just like Dance with Dragons. Guess how many people are still waiting for Doors of Stone. Would anyone even care if it came out tomorrow? Not really. Some people would still buy it, but nowhere near as many people as would have if it released years ago when they still cared.

That's how privileged George Martin is. He can literally set his own deadlines and he can't even be bothered to do that. Really makes you appreciate the greats like Terry Pratchett. I guess it's just not fair to hold George Martin to that high a standard.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't even want him to finish them at this point. I want him to enjoy his time and money and live out his dreams, whatever they are.