• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
We had inventory in February. Now would be a beautiful time to do it with nothing being on the shelves.
We have an all store scheduled for the 31st as of now. Usual it's perishable teams doing monthly but this is the quarterly one for the entire store. I'm just wondering if there's a point at this moment in time. We'll see. At least it'll be quick

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
All nonessential businesses closing here in PA. It was absolute chaos in my store today. I feel shell shocked. It was literally impossible to keep up with demand. Lots of people being dick bags, but plenty of people being friendly still.

I don't know how much longer we can keep this up. This is fucked.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Just had a customer who not only let me cut in front of her in a very long line but bought my lunch as well. Thank you so much stranger! You're the kind of people I put so much effort in for!

tumblr_n2xc9fEPYv1sgl0ajo1_250.gifv

Oct 27, 2017
Target changed their hours to close at 9 pm so they can stock and wipe everything down.

A few days into this, around noon things were calm at the local stores. One of the local pizza places is going ok (they have a few tables to sit that no one can use right now, but they're used to mostly takeout anyways). The supermarket has things today that they didn't yesterday, so that is helpful.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man my area hasn't even closed non-essential stores yet...but they're starting to. Restaurants are closed, Target is closed, fuck this weekend is going to be nuts.

Atleast my company gave us all a reward of...25$.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just wanted to say I appreciate you folks doing your best to keep the shelves stocked, I know it's been hell out there lately. Eventually people got to run out of room to store all this damn food, right?? Still hard to find even the basic necessities at the stores around me. Hope it lets up soon.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
We;ve been without new stock since.... like Saturday night or something.... it's nut our next Truck isn't until Thursday night...

Wroking ecomm has been insane it's just out of stock out stock out of stock.... call this customer to cancel their order, call that one....on the plus side it's made the job easier lol

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We're out of bread, most soup, and toilet paper and paper towels as well as fresh meat but... everything else is alright so far?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
lolol. Your at Kroger right? Did you notice that it still makes you pay a small amount on some transactions? Some of my coworkers were testing it out on small purchases and one had to still spend $1.25 on a $4 purchase. Have no idea what would cause that though.

I feel like Kroger is doing a terrible job dealing with this situation. At least with regard to their employees. My store at least is just concerned about how much money they are making right now. I also saw my store manager yelling at some older gentlemen who was having a hard time with his shopping cart that got locked up because of those wheel breaks. Its just a shit show and management isnt making it any easier on us.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I just worked for 13 hours. Everything hurts.

Out store is kicking everyone else's ass at the moment and we're the only grocery store in the area that are avoiding too many empty shelves. Night crew is killing it, managers are going ape shit with ordering, and there's people like me just dumping in hours. We're making it happen somehow.

The Aldi up the road from us is actually completely closed now because they couldn't stock the shelves.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
We're closing at 9 so we can clean til 10. It's still a very stressful shift because there's a lot to get done over the course of an hour with only 2 people. Our DM designated more hours for our store so not only am I already busting my ass but I'm being forced to work overtime and I'm not sure if I'll even get my vacation I had planned for next week.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Someone tipped me 20 dollars the other day. He accidently put in 170.77 for cash back, thinking for, whatever reason, the debit machine was asking him for the total (to confirm it I guess), so he got that odd amount, and tipped me that as a thank you for putting up with working in these conditions.

Safeway is doubling our discount until the end of April, though if you can't find anything to buy, it feels kind of hollow.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Someone tipped me 20 dollars the other day. He accidently put in 170.77 for cash back, thinking for, whatever reason, the debit machine was asking him for the total (to confirm it I guess), so he got that odd amount, and tipped me that as a thank you for putting up with working in these conditions.

Safeway is doubling our discount until the end of April, though if you can't find anything to buy, it feels kind of hollow.

yeah, we get a 20% discount on store brands throughout this "event". As if I'd want what's actually left on the shelves.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Popped into my grocery store this morning prior to WFH and many of the workers are clearly exhausted and stressed. The customers themselves were doing a great job of social distancing, but it becomes impossible when it's customer-employee interaction at the register. Again - a enormous THANK YOU to everybody working to keep groceries on the shelves and in our pantries. I cannot imagine the stress of being in close proximity to so many strangers in this time.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Plenty of pasta, pasta sauces, canned veggies and toilet paper available in the shelves over here at my place in Germany.

In emergency cases, I can buy and ship to you guys. Just send me a pm.

(Don't exploit please. I'd like to help people in need)

Edit: And my biggest thanks to all you grocery workers out there!

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alberstsons / Safeway front end are getting a temp bump of 2.00 per hour (sounds corporate wide, but not sure). Temporary it seems, only promised for this current week and next week, though the language suggests it may still go on depending on how things look.

It's small and I don't like that they only guaranteed it for two weeks, but I pretty much have to come in anyway just to survive, so the extra 80-100 bucks a week for the next two weeks is nice.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Is it safer to go to a grocery store or a convenience type store or a Family Dollar type store or does it even matter?

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Alberstsons / Safeway front end are getting a temp bump of 2.00 per hour (sounds corporate wide, but not sure). Temporary it seems, only promised for this current week and next week, though the language suggests it may still go on depending on how things look.

It's small and I don't like that they only guaranteed it for two weeks, but I pretty much have to come in anyway just to survive, so the extra 80-100 bucks a week for the next two weeks is nice.
Before I left work (Stater Bro here) I heard our CEO was matching Albertsons and upping the wages by 2.00/hour for FOUR weeks.

I'm really happy for my coworkers. After a hectic 40 hour week I'm going to enjoy my three weeks vacation.

BigMack

Oct 27, 2017
I work night stock at a Food City store in Virginia. They changed our opening time to 7am and encouraged elderly and less healthy folks to come 7 to 8am. We were finishing up blocking the store when I saw this geriatric hoard of zombie like old people come flooding through the front doors. It was the craziest thing I've ever seen. I left 20 mins later and 80% of our carts were already gone. Absolutely insane

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it safer to go to a grocery store or a convenience type store or a Family Dollar type store or does it even matter?

From what I understand some dollar store types are just flat out closing, at least in some areas. Convenience store likely the safest just because they likely aren't going to have a lot of people in them at once (and are often open 24 hours anyway, so lots of chances to visit), though I imagine they might be picked pretty clean.

Grocery store wise, at least at mine, there's pretty much no way to avoid being in a crush of people at checkout outside of some lulls here and there. Setup puts it so that if the lane behind me is open, I'm going to have their customer nearly always near my back, breaking any possible social distancing.

Best bet really is a grocery store during a low period, as rare as those are, or at least near closing when they are likely only opening 2 or 3 registers so might not all be crammed together. Or maybe a grocery store with lots of self checkout, the walmart I went to briefly didn't seem to be too bad in that regard.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Huge dairy load for me tonight. Fridge also packed with produce and seafood making it hard to manouvre. I'm dyin'. lol Shelves so empty even though I'm sure day staff worked around the clock.

My manager just did 63+ hours the week before. Probably same this week. I've been working 7 day weeks (56+ hours) every other week. I'm starting to feel the burnout. Phew!

We're enforcing social distance in our store with security staff and maybe soon installing plexiglass protection for cashiers? It's something.

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
Man my area hasn't even closed non-essential stores yet...but they're starting to. Restaurants are closed, Target is closed, fuck this weekend is going to be nuts.

Mine gave all hourly employees $100 gift cards and then a couple days later a $2 per hour raise until May 2nd

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably because my city only have 10 cases (Quebec City) i dont know how Montreal is like but here we still have everything in stock, the only thing i saw changed is the amount of people waiting in line when the grocery isn't open yet in the morning, i like going early.

Also having a list of what you need really help going faster and get out of here

Oh and cashier have a bucket of what im guessing soap water that they "wash" or more like just dip them in after each customer. Their hands must be so broken after 1 day

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of burn out, I think our ventilation or refrigeration compressor or something is burning. Weird burned rubber smell in store so not even sure it will be safe to open.

Sorry, old folks and bored and anxious shoppers..

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so burned out, depressed, anxious, and miserable.

Our dispatch centre is now running at 6 times its capacity. Deliveries are 8 - 24 hours late making it nearly impossible to plan or adjust for. Some never show up at all. Our store has so many item limits and no one seems to read even with the 20-30 signs around the store. Even when it's literally plastered over the freezer door they have to open.

I just hate it. I hate the abuse, I hate having to run at 120% all day, I hate the feeling that I'm putting my life at risk being crammed into an area full of people who will happily cough into their hands and ignore any type of social distancing. I won't even get a break if the city goes into full lock down. There's no escape.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Would workers like it if i told them how much i appreciated their hard work, or should i just leave them alone?

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
Would trying to get a job at a grocery store be good ?

now's the time, for sure. im sure a lot of them are super hungry for the help.

i actually start my second (well, currently primary...) job at the local grocery store tonight. overnight stocking/grocery position. not my first time working in a store, but first time in that position under these circumstances. good news is, im not working during operational hours with all the crowds, but im stlll a little nervous. luckily, its a smaller store in a small city (really, really small city...) but you know how it is.

Would workers like it if i told them how much i appreciated their hard work, or should i just leave them alone?

i cant speak for everyone, but - especially if its during operation hours - a simple appreciative nod or a thumbs up would probably go much further than words. most retail/service workers are probably so super burned out from interacting with customers/people all day that sparing them any further exchange of words, even politely and sincerely, would be the best thing to do. just my take!

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Would trying to get a job at a grocery store be good ?
Well, my company is listing a bunch of temp jobs just for the pandemic crunch, but we also regularly need just general part-timers especially stocking at night (and full-timers, but those positions go to part-timers who want it and have most seniority first).

Stocking is hard and often tedious work, and the hours go by pretty fast at night when there's a lot to go through.

It's weird seeing regulars, especially older ones, keep coming by during covid times.. pls just buy what you need for a week and stay home otherwise. We shouldn't be your last resort leisure spot or rec centre to cure quarantine boredom..

Hairtux

Oct 25, 2017
In Carrboro the Kroger owned Harris Teeter seems perpetually out of stock of veggies, meats, and household stuff. The Whole Foods in Chapel Hill seems to be doing a great job keeping shelves stocked of everything including TP, though chicken still seems hard to come by. I've gone there a few mornings around 8am and the store is loaded with employees stocking shelves so I try to not be annoying and in the way but also thank them if I'm near. Also from 7-8am Whole Foods is for older and vulnerable shoppers only, assuming that's everywhere.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington

I like when customers actually show that they care about me or at least want to do something nice (even if it is just to express gratitude). I had some one thank me for being there and while I'm too honest and told her I wish I wasn't, I did think her for thanking me. It's nice.

But, I always like it when customers try to cheer me up, make me feel happy. Even if it is a bad joke that has been told over and over again, at least they are trying :) (I know I'm rare in that, it seems most retail employees hate hearing the same jokes over and over and wish people would just not do them. I figure at least they are trying to lighten up my day).

But, maybe listen to the other guy about the thumbs up. My store, while business hasn't slowed down and maybe is busier, is a pet store so we aren't getting the same kind crowds grocery stores are getting. So I don't get as exhuasted as grocery store workers (honestly, I don't know how you guys do it. I'm avoiding costco just because I don't even want to deal with the crowds as a customer). Though I still wish people would stay home unless they need pet food (stop coming in to buy stuff you don't need like pets and fish, I'd like less exposure to people, not more).

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
My store announced +2$/hour hazard pay

Bless them <3

More than the government has done for me tbh

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
My store announced +2$/hour hazard pay

Bless them <3

More than the government has done for me tbh

I get you want UBI and I think that it would be the better scenario, but do you honestly expect for the government to tip you? How would that look like? We are already having a huge problem processing EI. Who shouldn't get a tip right now?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I get you want UBI and I think that it would be the better scenario, but do you honestly expect for the government to tip you? How would that look like? We are already having a huge problem processing EI. Who shouldn't get a tip right now?

No, not a tip, I don't want something specific just for me... Again UBi is the answer to literally everything... but the fact does remain that in this time of being drafted as an essential service... my employer (and realistically probably mu Union) has tangibly recognized it while the government has not. That said my arguments have always been centred on UBI.

But frankly Trudeau has reassured the country that the government is going to ensure Canadians still get their groceries but has said little, and I believe unless he's said something different, nothing to thank the people working the front lines of that endeavour.

I'm exhausted and stressed.... Today on the bus I said at the very back, the back of the bus is upside down L shape: 3 seats horizontal (I was seated at the window seat on the horizontal section), 3 seats vertical. And they cornered me on a still pretty empty bus, one sitting at at the seat right in front of me on the Vertical side, and 1 sitting at the last seat on the horizontal side.... essentially boxing me in ... in a normal world this is nothing, in this world it was minor panic inducing....

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kroger is giving full time folks 300$ and part time $150.

I feel kind of bad getting bonuses like this when so many people can't work.

jarekx

Oct 25, 2017
Yea Walmart is getting the same bonus. Today has been pretty slow for me. Truck isn't coming in til later and I've put out everything I have (grocery Dept manager) so I'm kind of just cleaning shelves and touch points. Not much else I can do.

AlphaCookie

Nov 6, 2017
Washington
My store officially cut our hours back from midnight to 8pm yesterday. Thankfully they didn't actually cut our work hours since our house is down 2 paychecks due to the shutdowns. Now I get 2 hours after close to help clean up and build ends out of the product we do have. We're also all getting 8 hours of extra vacation time, that's something.

I still can't comprehend that we've been doing +100% or more sales every day than we should be. There has to be a breaking point for people's storage space and credit limits.

OP
OP
Birdie

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We actually had the debit cards glitch out today...normally that happens on Christmas.

Thankfully it was sporadic enough a minute of waiting fixed it.

Jan 11, 2018
As someone who works in a hospital, I know I don't exactly have it great but I think I envy grocery store clerks even less. I appreciate all they do and can't imagine what they are having to put up with these days.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
Massive respect for those who are working during operating hours. I work third shift when my store is closed and feel lucky that I don't have to interact with the general public, but I definitely feel for my coworkers as we run low on supplies and others in their position. Y'all are the real MVPs.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
My brother works at Publix in Atlanta area and he's been doing 6 days/week due to demand. He's okay with the work, and it does sound like Publix isn't being lax about this, but I still have my worries.