• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgunblood

Dec 1, 2017
The Land
It's not hard to read up on MAJOR figures in your industry and figure out how much they are shit.

Repudiating white supremacy and bigotry isn't some heroic or brave act, it is the fucking baseline.

No argument here. It is however worth noting that repudiating white supremacy and bigotry to an audience of gamers is courageous to some extent, that's how fucked this medium and hobby is. My expectations are quite low for anyone in this godforsaken industry.

Last edited:

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
We're so desperate for heroes in these troubling times that we expect everyone who has a voice and who seems perceptibly decent to step up and be courageous, even though it's not entirely fair to expect that.

If I have a friend, and that friend spreads around alt-right rhetoric or has used harmful language toward women and minorities, but they have always been polite and a good friend to me, I am still very much complicit in the bad things they are doing. If I know they are doing those things, but choose to continue my comfortable relationship with them instead of having to confront and condemn them, that's not being a centrist, that's choosing a side.

I am not expecting anybody to be a hero. I'm expecting them to not choose the side that's bumping elbows with White supremacists.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
The Notch defense is pretty icky. I am surprised Andrea Rene was so quick to defend him. That being said, I think I vaguely recall being disappointed in her in the past.

I think PewDiePie deserves shit for the genuinely shitty things he has said and done, but I do think that people are extra critical of him at times (to the point of occasionally being a little unreasonable). That being said, he dropped the hard N-word too naturally for me to lose sleep over people putting him through the ringer.

TheLoCoRaven

Banned
Dec 4, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Excusing misogynist rhetoric, previous severe infractions
I'm surprised Greg didn't take the liberal PC out like his over-reaction to Colin's joke.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Like I want to believe that Greg is genuinely trying to change, I mean cutting Colin out of his life despite the many years they were friends obviously was a hard thing to do.

But I need to see it on camera, or in audio, not just him letting someone walk all over him while he tries to maintain the peace in a very Boogie like manner that only serves to give the hatred some credence. It's not good enough to let this stuff slide unchallenged and then say you're sorry afterwards, it has to be shut down right there and then.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
I just listened to it and I most certainly didn't get the impression Andrea downplayed Notch's behavior. She just says he doesn't care about not being invited and that this statement could just be PR talk. On the contrary, she actually said he tweets some wacky things.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just listened to it and I most certainly didn't get the impression Andrea downplayed Notch's behavior. She just says he doesn't care about not being invited and that this statement could just be PR talk. On the contrary, she actually said he tweets some wacky things.

Calling Notch's tweets "wacky" is most certainly downplaying his behavior

what

See like, this is the problem women and minorities are always talking about. The fact that hateful rhetoric is distilled into "wacky" shows that a lot of y'all simply don't give a fuck.

gschmidl

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Youtube are fucking cowards who refuse to deplatform a white supremacist because of money, but at least there's a tiny amount of worth to YouTube.

Twitter is a completely worthless Nazi-enabling, 24/7-hatevomiting trash fire run by a Nazi that should be nuked from orbit, then have the remains salted, collected, and fired into the sun.

There can be no ifs and buts about it.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

His hateful and bigoted tweets aren't "wacky" they're terrible.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Wacky white pride and transphobia 🤪

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the tried and true method of ignoring white supremacists with millions of followers until it just goes away by itself.
They were ignoring them just fine before, then they decided to wade in without doing any research and also not really taking any kind of stand. I rather ppl like this stfu than promote peace love and harmony in front of the camera and then when the time comes and I need their support they go"....ummm actually, both sides."

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
How the hell is calling Notch's bigotry "wacky" not downplaying?

WiZaRdOuS

Nov 8, 2018
If I know they are doing those things, but choose to continue my comfortable relationship with them instead of having to confront and condemn them, that's not being a centrist, that's choosing a side.

I am not expecting anybody to be a hero. I'm expecting them to not choose the side that's bumping elbows with White supremacists.

Well said!!

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's our onus to educate people.

As a white dude i'm just gonna go with no here. I never needed anyone to teach me that slavery and racism were wrong, i figured it out myself and it wasn't that fucking hard either. Anyone who thinks for five seconds about slavery and doesn't see what's wrong with it it's also not gonna learn by having the concept explained to them. More likely than not they just don't give a shit to begin with.

And as a queer man you can bet your ass it's not my job to explain to any old bigot why i deserve the same respect they demand for themselves. Tired of bigots being babied like they're 3 year olds suckling at the ignorance teat.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Andrea says...

I would honestly be pretty surprised if notch had expressed an interest in wanting to be involved and MS said no thanks. That to me would be disappointing on Microsofts part.

She'd be 'disappointed' if MS said that they didn't want him to be involved. That's not downplaying his behaviour?

doof_warrior

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
gonna just copy paste my response to this from another forum:

greg miller doesnt care about anything. he just wants to act like a dope and get famous and make money
this is on brand for him

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As a white dude i'm just gonna go with no here. I never needed anyone to teach me that slavery and racism were wrong, i figured it out myself and it wasn't that fucking hard either. Anyone who thinks for five seconds about slavery and doesn't see what's wrong with it it's also not gonna learn by having the concept explained to them. More likely than not they just don't give a shit to begin with.

And as a queer man you can bet your ass it's not my job to explain to any old bigot why i deserve the same respect they demand for themselves. Tired of bigots being babied like they're 3 year olds suckling at the ignorance teat.

While most moral people have no trouble seeing the problems with slavery and racism, it much harder for privileged white people to understand how some of their actions may support the bigotry of others.

It's certainly not up to minorities to educate however, that should be up to other privileged people.

Dante_727

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
User Banned (Permanent): Racism; account in junior phase
There isn't a single person on this planet who is using that word without knowing the connotation.

And no not a lot of Europeans use that word, except racist people.

Well, I am from middle east and I am quite brown. Few years ago I went to see my girlfriend's grandparents, and her grandmother said" is your boyfriend a N.."
It was not as insult or anything, she was damn sweet lady but she did use it without being racist. In some parts of the world, the N-word is not associated with racism like in america.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Well, I am from middle east and I am quite brown. Few years ago I went to see my girlfriend's grandparents, and her grandmother said" is your boyfriend a N.."
It was not as insult or anything, she was damn sweet lady but she did use it without being racist. In some parts of the world, the N-word is not associated with racism like in america.

You have a 1000+ post thread with examples that prove otherwise.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Yep. It's a bummer to see people still using those arguments and painting those not interested in continually explaining basic decency to white folks as the "real" bad guys.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Was it that she wasn't racist, or that you didn't want to deal with the fact that you'd have to talk about your girlfriend's grandmother so you decided to laugh it off?

Because that's racist AF my man.

Like, real talk, did that conversation end with, "yes, he is a n-. And that's wonderful" And then she gleefully pulled out cookies for everyone to eat? Was it literally a Mel Brooks sketch from the late 60's come to life in your girlfriend's grandparent's house? Was it literally the climax scene from "guess who's coming to dinner?"

No my dude. Your anecdote carries about as much weight as people thinking the movie Soul Man is still a perfectly funny and acceptable movie because Zwarte Piet is a thing that some countries do sometimes.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Watching this again, it sounds like:

- Andrea is genuinely unaware of the exact things Notch and PDP did, but knows there's been controversy.
- Instead of having an informed opinion, she speaks authoritatively while assuming the internet is just overreacting.
- Greg, not wanting to pick a fight on a live show with a coworker who can is known to be pretty pigheaded, lets it go.

I'm personally disappointed, and really do believe they need to do much better than that. This exact situation happens a lot when they talk about video games, and I'm totally fine with that, but this is not a topic you can handwave for convenience. Either handle it well, or don't talk about it at all. That's the lesson here.

Oct 25, 2017
Bit late to the uh... "party" here but I couldn't not point out what a bullshit statement
because he was Swedish and doesn't understand the connotation of that word
is.

Every fucking one in Sweden knows exactly what that word means, fuck outta here. I 100% guarantee that pewdiepieceofshit uses that word or the Swedish equivalent (which is the same exact word) on the daily in his private life. I know plenty of people like him. The only "slip-up" he had on stream was being himself for a split second.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which company do they keep these days that are unsavory? If it is Colin Moriarty, just be aware they severed ties with him a couple of years ago

Just like Kinda Funny should do more research on stories they report on, perhaps posters here should do the same before commenting. By all means they deserve critisism for how they handled the news story on their show yesterday but there have been a few other shots fired that at Greg in particular that have been quite unfair

The videogame industry is toxic from the inside out with a few exceptions. I thought this was pretty much agreed on here.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

- Andrea is genuinely unaware of the exact things Notch and PDP did, but knows there's been controversy.
- Instead of having an informed opinion, she speaks authoritatively while assuming the internet is just overreacting.
- Greg, not wanting to pick a fight on a live show with a coworker who can is known to be pretty pigheaded, lets it go.

I'm personally disappointed, and really do believe they need to do much better than that. This exact situation happens a lot when they talk about video games, and I'm totally fine with that, but this is not a topic you can handwave for convenience. Either handle it well, or don't talk about it at all. That's the lesson here.

Greg repeated some of the things that Notch said. Andrea has zero excuse.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
...Few years ago I went to see my girlfriend's grandparents, and her grandmother said" is your boyfriend a N.."

staring.gif

You'd have to be willfully ignorant to think that the word's history and association with racist attitudes is exclusive to America. Not all racists are American hillbillies with white skin and brandishing Confederate flags. Apparently as you've learned, they can also be "damn sweet ladies".

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Or maybe racism is so ingrained there that saying that is deemed as a normal.

It's not like there's no word to describe black people, the fact that they sidestepped the word without any connotation straight to the N-word is quite telling to me.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While most moral people have no trouble seeing the problems with slavery and racism, it much harder for privileged white people to understand how some of their actions may support the bigotry of others.

It's certainly not up to minorities to educate however, that should be up to other privileged people.

Agreed. Though the onus on this will always lie primarily with the individual imo. Having privileged people help out is good, but we live in a time where all the information available to mankind is readily available, for the most part. While on a large scale this also creates some parsing problems and fascist propaganda is a booming business, no one in the position of Greg Miller has any excuse to spout out uninformed takes on these issues. Do better. If there is one thing in life where i support the bootstraps mentality is precisely when it comes to self betterment through knowledge.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No no, I meant On Topic...I agree he made the right call not responding to Colin, I was referring to the issue of the Notch discussion he had with Andrea, he needs to make that right
Ph my bad, gotcha
Holy shit.

They actually pulled the both sides shit, and used SJW unironically as being as bad as the alt right?

Why can't people just be unequivocally against bigotry, why isn't this simple?
Because they care about promoting positivity even when that positivity is defending bigoted transphobe antisemites

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
So a guy who's best friend was Colin Moriarty is a also Piece of Trash who saw that coming

Tbh it mostly seemed like Andrea was saying the gross shit. Still not great that as Andrea said notch said "stupid nonsense out of context" and felt the need to defend Pewdiepie as anti corporation (which is a sentiment I've seen echoed by MANY "independent" content creators) Greg didn't have the decency to say "hey that is wrong and sucks" but also I get it's a live program and your livelihood so maybe you don't want to halt things. Doesn't make it right at all though, but honestly I feel Andrea needs to read up and apologize more than Greg.

StoveOven

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that somebody who literally hosted a corporate press conference at E3 last year would sarcastically say "corporations for the win I guess" is fucking rich.

Andrea seems to be legit caping for these dudes, while Greg is doing his usual shtick of choosing the path of least resistance.

I can't say I'm surprised about any of it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I love how Boogie has essentially become the centrist.
Boogie is only a centrist when it comes to defending the alr right tho so not sure thats actually centrism.

I know youre banned but what the fuck is this bullshit?

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017

This is exactly the kind of discussion on this topic I would expect from them which is why I don't make an effort to follow them. They don't care enough about the issue to understand what they're talking about, but they talk about it anyways because it's scintillating and will get them views. If it's about video games who gives a fuck, but this is about people and the industry they claim they want to cover in order to improve the lives of the people working within it.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017

Tbh this has been KF in a nutshell for several months now.

Status
Not open for further replies.