• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bill Rizer

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
I prefer seeing clean frames than the blurred mess of lcds (and clouding, absymal contrast, etc.).

Well, latest generation Oleds allow for 120Hz black frame insertion and it looks stunning. My Sony A8 Oled is truly a beautiful looking display and movement is great.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
OLED looks better though. Hell, even a CRT looks better.
CRTs look better than anything else for games.
For movie/video playback, I'd probably choose an OLED with good motion interpolation (Sony).
24Hz on a CRT looks smoother than anything else; but it's not how I'd want to watch movies all the time.

I prefer seeing clean frames than the blurred mess of lcds (and clouding, absymal contrast, etc.).
Well, latest generation Oleds allow for 120Hz black frame insertion and it looks stunning. My Sony A8 Oled is truly a beautiful looking display and movement is great.
120Hz BFI requires a 120 FPS source to avoid frame doubling/quadrupling.
The worst thing is that the way LG implemented these options means that 60Hz BFI on the CX has half the brightness of 60Hz BFI on the C9 (but also half the motion blur).

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
This is interesting. I've watched a bunch of films on my CX and haven't been distracted by or noticed any judder. I had no idea OLED has an inherent issue with this. I will say over the last year lots of 30fps games have been very displeasing to the eye for me, but that has occurred on lcd screens. For example, the Demons Souls remake on PS5 is unbearable in 30fps mode on my lcd screen. I've gamed very little on my CX and don't think I've tried any 30fps games on it. Now I'm kind of curious.

Bill Rizer

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
CRTs look better than anything else for games.
For movie/video playback, I'd probably choose an OLED with good motion interpolation (Sony).
24Hz on a CRT looks smoother than anything else; but it's not how I'd want to watch movies all the time.

120Hz BFI requires a 120 FPS source to avoid frame doubling/quadrupling.
The worst thing is that the way LG implemented these options means that 60Hz BFI on the CX has half the brightness of 60Hz BFI on the C9 (but also half the motion blur).

Frame doubling was there also on crt on 30fps source, not a deal breaker to me.

Last edited:

Jay1V

Oct 28, 2017
This is interesting. I've watched a bunch of films on my CX and haven't been distracted by or noticed any judder. I had no idea OLED has an inherent issue with this. I will say over the last year lots of 30fps games have been very displeasing to the eye for me, but that has occurred on lcd screens. For example, the Demons Souls remake on PS5 is unbearable in 30fps mode on my lcd screen. I've gamed very little on my CX and don't think I've tried any 30fps games on it. Now I'm kind of curious.
It's pretty noticeable when you start gaming on a new oled for the first time. That game that you played on an LCD the other day seems choppy all of a sudden. My eyes got used to it over time, but that transition period is when its most notable

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
OLEDs can do no wrong on ERA. There's so much delusion and need for validation here for people's big-ticket purchase, it's nuts. Just enjoy your OLED, it ain't perfect but that's fine.

It's honestly the console warrior mentality, but applied to TVs. It's fucking exhausting -- say anything true about an OLED that's not out right praise, and immediately people feel the need to be defensive. No idea why that mentality affects this population quite so badly.

Posters here (including myself) are simply saying that 30fps games aren't "straight-up broken" on their LG CX like the OP says his games are.

That's not "delusion" or "need for validation", it's just an informed opinion.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
It's not just the instant response time that's the issue here. The issue is that OLEDs sustain the frame for the entire duty cycle and have very poor options for BFI.

I remember playing God of War before it was patched on PS5 on an OLED with the high performance mode (~45-55fps). What looked relatively smooth on my Panasonic plasma looked like an unplayable juddery mess on an LG B9.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
It's weird though because I'm trying Remnant with PS+ on my LG B7A and to me is playable at its 30fps whereas other games are not so it also must be dependent on the game.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Here is an example of how that can transform our perception of motion.
I have created an animation which moves two white circles back and forth across the screen at 6 FPS.
The upper circle only flashes on-screen once per frame for 16.7 ms image persistence, while the lower circle is held for the full 167 ms duration, as a modern flat-panel display would typically show.

What you should see is that covering the lower circle and only following the upper one with your eyes shows far smoother motion, and no motion blur.
Covering the upper circle and only following the lower one with your eyes will show far less smooth animation, and frames may appear to ghost/overlap.
Note: it should be displayed full-screen at 60Hz to work properly. I don't know if it will work correctly on mobile.

Do not click this if you are sensitive to flashing images.
The flicker is severe despite the 16.7ms hold times, since it is only updating at 6Hz.

This is absolutely fascinating. Thanks for that!

It's weird though because I'm trying Remnant with PS+ on my LG B7A and to me is playable at its 30fps whereas other games are not so it also must be dependent on the game.

I don't know anything about remnant, but high quality motion blue will go a long way to making 30 fps games look good on an OLED.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
It's pretty noticeable when you start gaming on a new oled for the first time. That game that you played on an LCD the other day seems choppy all of a sudden. My eyes got used to it over time, but that transition period is when its most notable

I could see that being the case. I'm guessing for some games it wouldn't seem that different for me. That's why I mentioned Demons Souls remake on PS5 looking bad to me in 30fps mode on my LCD. If it is already jarring there then it's definitely going to be jarring on the OLED, so there's really no way for me tell that the OLED has issues.

Another game that stands out to me was the Darksiders Switch port. It has a 1080p/720p 30fps mode or a 60fps mode with reduced resolution. I found the 30fps mode in that game really jarring as well (in both handheld and when docked to a 1080p lcd). No way I could play the game in that mode.

I think different games handle 30fps better than others when it comes to visual fluidity. I'm not sure what the factors are (motion blur I would assume, but perhaps other factors?). For instance, BotW on Switch looks fine to me at 30fps. Not jarring at all.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing RDR2 even not on 60FPS, it plays perfectly smooth for being at 30 FPS.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
The 30fps mode for Demon's looks way worse than a lot of other games running at 30fps for some reason on LCDs. I don't know why, but I'd rather play the PS3 version that runs at an even lower framerate than play it in that mode on PS5. LOL

And that movie thing w/ OLED was the most obvious when my friend clued me into the beginning of Captain America: Winter Soldier during the jogging sequence. There's a shot where the Washington Monument pans across the screen, and once you notice how choppy it is, it's hard to unsee. Count yourself lucky that you don't notice it!

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I'm hesitant to get an OLED. I've also heard 24 FPS stuff (basically all blu-rays) can look a bit wonky.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Qled is the way to go imo. Oled tvs are a lot of trouble for what they're worth.

You're just trading one problem for another. Depends on what you want to prioritize.

Personally, PVA black smearing is hard to suffer through after seeing OLED and using an IPS panel at my desk with good motion handling. But then again, less reflections, higher brightness, and more forgiving to lower framerate content is a plus.

I'm still in the market for a new TV in the next few years. Still rocking a 2008 Panasonic Plasma, which despite its problems, is still a damn good looking TV today. What I most look forward to in new displays is not only 4K, but drastically reduced input lag. But I know whatever TV I'm going to get will be a step forward in some ways, and a step back in others. I'll have to deal with worse motion regardless of what set I end up with. My plasma shows phosphor trails, but otherwise it seriously smooths out judder. Even Bloodborne looks relatively smooth on it compared to other displays I've played the game on (B9 and X900F).

This is why I'm hesitant to get an OLED. I've also heard 24 FPS stuff (basically all blu-rays) can look a bit wonky.

Well LCDs and OLEDs both have similar issues with 24Hz content. It's only worse in OLED due to the lack of motion blur. Motion interpolation can go a long way to fixing these issues. I haven't played around with the settings on the B9 I have access to, but on the X900F I've used, there are motion interpolation settings that work very well. Some sort of "cinema motion" or something. It'll give you better panning shots while not introducing any noticeable soap opera effect. Not sure how LG fares in this regard. Obviously that won't work well with games due to the increase in input lag, but there is some hope for passive content.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Must depend on the person.

I got a giant ass OLED more for the movies and sports.

We saw Spirited Away on a standard BR last week and it was just incredibly good looking. Its already a stunning movie but I was kind of blown away.

I am pretty sensitive to animations and jank and for me the picture looks so amazing that its worth whatever limitations are inherent in the tech (i.e. burn in).

It is expensive though and generally nothing that expensive is entirely worth the price, but for me at least it is.

Aloy38

Jul 31, 2020
I'm in a similar boat to a few on here. I've still got my Panasonic plasma which gives a brilliant picture for gaming, normal tv and movies. But it's 1080p and non-HDR, so was planning on treating myself to a new Oled (mostly for gaming and movies). But I'm very sensitive to judder etc, so I'm now not sure what to do :(

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Must depend on the person.

I got a giant ass OLED more for the movies and sports.

We saw Spirited Away on a standard BR last week and it was just incredibly good looking. Its already a stunning movie but I was kind of blown away.

I am pretty sensitive to animations and jank and for me the picture looks so amazing that its worth whatever limitations are inherent in the tech (i.e. burn in).

It is expensive though and generally nothing that expensive is entirely worth the price, but for me at least it is.
I'm probably overthinking it. It's not like my current LCD TV is super incredible. I've just heard from friends that blu-rays can look "weird" and I've read in reviews from RTings that you can sometimes notice stutter in 24 FPS content.

Part of it is, as you mentioned, the price. I wouldn't mind rolling the dice if we were talking like $700, but it's usually a lot more than that so I may be finding excuses to hold off lol

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, this is the first I've heard of this. Not good...

I'm in a similar boat to a few on here. I've still got my Panasonic plasma which gives a brilliant picture for gaming, normal tv and movies. But it's 1080p and non-HDR, so was planning on treating myself to a new Oled (mostly for gaming and movies). But I'm very sensitive to judder etc, so I'm now not sure what to do :(

I could have written this post literally word for word, down the maker of my TV. My TV is simply FANTASTIC in my opinion but it is 46 inches and it's time to go bigger. Do Sony OLEDs have better performance than LG in this regard? I realize there's not perfect TV but there's like, a LOT of games that run at 30 fps and it's naive to think that won't still be the case for years to come. I need a TV that can do it all, more or less, as this is really my only set in the house.

ginnokane

Oct 28, 2017
Wow, this is the first I've heard of this. Not good...

I could have written this post literally word for word, down the maker of my TV. My TV is simply FANTASTIC in my opinion but it is 46 inches and it's time to go bigger. Do Sony OLEDs have better performance than LG in this regard? I realize there's not perfect TV but there's like, a LOT of games that run at 30 fps and it's naive to think that won't still be the case for years to come. I need a TV that can do it all, more or less, as this is really my only set in the house.
Hah, I am in the exact same boat as you guys here, and looking for similar advice. I absolutely love my 2012 Panasonic Plasma, which is also only 46 inches. Planning a big move in the next year, and might want to sell/upgrade rather than chance a long car journey with my current TV. For someone who plays lots of Switch and PS4 (PS5 someday soon hopefully), I really hope I won't regret upgrading when it comes to 30fps games. I still play lots of older games on these systems, and even fire up the wii u and wii sometimes. Won't be able to justify a hugely expensive new TV either, what with the moving expenses, so price is a limiting factor too.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Does your plasma have the option to switch between 48Hz and 96Hz when watching movies? I think it's only the later models which had this option when displaying a 24p signal.
OLED with 120Hz BFI enabled would be closer to the look of 96Hz mode, but not really the same.

This is absolutely fascinating. Thanks for that!
Well I'm glad to hear that someone found it interesting. Thanks for the feedback.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
in all honesty, I think the judder was worse on my last TCL LED. with the real cinema setting enabled and setting the bluray player/streaming device to 24p or frame match mode, it has yet to bother me any more than it has on any other tv since we shifted away from CRT and rear projection

not sure if (or how much) of the frame match modes is placebo effect, but the judder is quite noticeable if I don't switch my shield to match the content

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I was planning on getting an OLED with my tax return this year, but hearing that its especially bad with Anime has me thinking about waiting until the tech improves a bit more.

Movies aren't made with spinning around on axis and alot your aren't going to get alot of fast pans in movies like you do in games. It is very rare that this is an issue for movies like it is for games.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I'm probably overthinking it. It's not like my current LCD TV is super incredible. I've just heard from friends that blu-rays can look "weird" and I've read in reviews from RTings that you can sometimes notice stutter in 24 FPS content.

Part of it is, as you mentioned, the price. I wouldn't mind rolling the dice if we were talking like $700, but it's usually a lot more than that so I may be finding excuses to hold off lol
All of this is pretty subjective.

If we are honest about this you can probably get a really nice Vizio for 1/3 the price of the OLED. Is the OLED 3 times better? Definitely not.

And some people are very sensitive to frame rates, blacks, etc so I don't discount complaints out of hand.

For me personally OLED tvs look substantially better than anything else I have seen. I got a 77" but would have gladly gone to 80+ if I could fit it on my basement wall (the ceilings are not really that tall).

Aloy38

Jul 31, 2020
Does your plasma have the option to switch between 48Hz and 96Hz when watching movies? I think it's only the later models which had this option when displaying a 24p signal.
OLED with 120Hz BFI enabled would be closer to the look of 96Hz mode, but not really the same.
It'a one of the last plasmas that Panasonic released before they stopped production, so possibly. I wouldn't really know how to check, tbh. Are you saying I should try 96hz mode (if possible) because that would be close to how an OLED would look, and I'd be able to judge whether or not I'd like it? Sorry, bit confused! (Apologies to OP if I'm taking the thread off topic)

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
Recently went from a pretty old LCD to a LG 55CX.
Without motion blur sub60 FPS looks really awful (watching anime is even worse thanks to the sharp contrast and 24fps, panning are atrocious).
The fact that LCD blurs motion actually helps in making the movements look smoother.
This! Always wondered what was wrong with animes since changing the telly. Thanks dude ! đź‘Ť

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It'a one of the last plasmas that Panasonic released before they stopped production, so possibly. I wouldn't really know how to check, tbh. Are you saying I should try 96hz mode (if possible) because that would be close to how an OLED would look, and I'd be able to judge whether or not I'd like it? Sorry, bit confused! (Apologies to OP if I'm taking the thread off topic)
The 96Hz mode would be closer to how the OLED looks with Blu-ray playback when 120Hz BFI is enabled. In fact, I think Sony OLEDs run at 96Hz with film.
But it's definitely not the same.

However, if you've already been using the 96Hz mode, you've arguably not been using the Plasma to its fullest anyway, as 96Hz is downgraded over 48Hz (but flickers less).

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just bought a pretty heavily discounted open-box gaming laptop with a 4K OLED screen. So far I've only been catching up on Lego games, and those run at 4K/60 or higher on a potato. I fear for what I'll see if I ever have to drop to 30fps. There's the option of dropping the screen to 1080p with nearest-neighbor scaling so it just looks like a native 1080p screen, but 1080p is fucking gross.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, any 24hz panning shot on my Plasma looks like complete fucking trash. I've had this TV since 2008, and it's serving me wonderfully, I honestly feel no need to upgrade yet (not that I'd be able to afford to anyway), but I was at least expecting this issue to go away whenever I do upgrade, and not get even worse.

Never got used to it or anything, it always looks awful.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
So should I buy the CX???? I'm still rocking the Samsung KS8000. I wouldn't mind being able to play fortnite 120fps on PS5, but I know as the generation goes on we will probably see more 30fps single player games.
I upgraded from a KS9000, which is very similar to your KS8000, to a CX and I thought the CX was better in every way except overall brightness. 30 fps content on it doesn't bother me though (and that was my main worry before getting the OLED, other than the brightness drop) so your experience may be different.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Either smoothing is on and you should switch to game mode OR maybe your eyes have become accustomed to 60fps (that's what happened to me). I stopped playing destiny bc seeing at 30fps was making my head hurt lol

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I'd already gotten used to 30FPS looking worse than it used to when I got my high refresh rate monitor. So when I upgraded the TV to a OLED I can't say I was too taken aback by it.

That's not to say I like 30FPS or anything, I think the judder looks absolutely awful, it's more that I don't want to sacrifice in other areas because OLEDs/lower response time panels show up the flaws of 30FPS more. Overall I just wish more and more games would just move away from 30FPS.

I have recently upgraded to the LG 55" 4K UHD Smart OLED TV (OLED55CXPUA) and your post perfectly describes my experience to a T. I also wasn't taken a back like some here due to the fact that I also purchased a monitor with high refresh rate last year

The many upsides with this upgrades is simply put incredible, and like you, for me, 100% worth the investment. There is no such thing as a perfect TV, monitor, but this is pretty darn close.

OP
OP
60fps

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I have recently upgraded to the LG 55" 4K UHD Smart OLED TV (OLED55CXPUA) and your post perfectly describes my experience to a T. I also wasn't taken a back like some here due to the fact that I also purchased a monitor with high refresh rate last year

The many upsides with this upgrades is simply put incredible, and like you, for me, 100% worth the investment. There is no such thing as a perfect TV, monitor, but this is pretty darn close.
I agree. It's not an actual issue per se, it's not like something is technically broken (other than content running at 30fps in the first place), this is only because the TV reproduces the content as accurately as possible.

30fps is bad in the first place and an OLED TV just makes it worse. But 30fps isn't desirable or adequate anymore to begin with, it's kind of an outdated technological standard that will vanish sooner or later anyway, just like 480p. So this shouldn't be a problem going forward.

It's basically like the TV is technologically ahead of the content we're getting.

Last edited:

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have there been a fix to this? Some 30fps games look terrible. Uncharted Thieves Collection and Jedi Fallen Order are the biggest offenders. Other 30fps games such as GTAV look notmal to me.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Have there been a fix to this? Some 30fps games look terrible. Uncharted Thieves Collection and Jedi Fallen Order are the biggest offenders. Other 30fps games such as GTAV look notmal to me.

There's no fix for this unless you use motion interpolation (which you don't want for gaming). It's just how the OLED technology works.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Are you guys trying 60fps games in 30fps mode or do you mean for games that are only 30fps? I have a CX and every game that's made for 30fps only is fine, it's only games where I play in 60fps then try 30fps mode that's so jarring and seems really bad. But maybe that's just me.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

You can play those games at 60fps on PS5 at least.

OP being called 60fps and also being banned is pretty funny

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Are you guys trying 60fps games in 30fps mode or do you mean for games that are only 30fps? I have a CX and every game that's made for 30fps only is fine, it's only games where I play in 60fps then try 30fps mode that's so jarring and seems really bad. But maybe that's just me.

That's just your perception, because you come from watching a 60 fps image, that's also why you tend to not notice it as much when your brain gets used after a while playing at 30.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I know how you feel, I finished MM then played the PS4 version of SM to get the platinum before copying the save data and it was jarring. However after about ten minutes I got used to it. It's not as much playing a 30 FPS game on OLED, as it is playing a 30 fps game on OLED after getting used to 60fps games on OLED.

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure it's all the specific TV. On my old-reliable 600mhz-internal plasma Uncharted legacy ps5 doesn't look smooth at 30fps at all, camera is a judderfest. AC Valhalla PS5 camera not as smooth at 30fps as on base PS4. Insomniac's games' camera at 30fps is just fine, as are older Ubisoft AC games, GTAV, etc. Even Demon's Souls PS5 fidelity patched is better than these. Other PS4 games on PS5 were fine, too.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
same happened to me. The techwizards in the LG OLED thread explained why 30fps was so much more jarring on OLED compared to LCD, but it compeltely broke 30fps games for me. I'm now one of "those people"

for me it was trying Tsushima which I had played like 30 hours or whatever (never finished) on my new oled (this was before owning a ps5) and going "what the fuck is going on with turning the camera, its so jarring" :(

Last edited:

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only time I've been bothered by it was Demon's Souls, but maybe there was something else going on with that game.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same thing happened to me when going from a 24 inch monitor with bad response times to a 27 inch high end gaming monitor. 30fps looks sickening.

for me it was trying Tsushima which I had played like 30 hours or whatever (never finished) on my new oled (this was before owning a ps5) and going "what the fuck is going on with turning the camera, its so jarring" :(
yup, Tsushima became unbearable. Luckily I got a PS5 now so I can continue the dlc.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I play Uncharted at 120Hz. I can't play Jedi Fallen Order at 60fpa because the image quality is so soft and blurry.

Both these games can be played at 30fps without the judder using their PS4 versions.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
The only one I've experienced that looks like definite crap is Halo Infinite. Gameplay is smooth as can be, but those cinematics at 30 fps stand out in a very annoying way.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
I think it depends on the game. I can still play DriveClub at 30fps, but when I tried Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart in 4k/30fps mode I switched to 60fps after 5 minutes.