• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lol bye Chrome it's been fun but you're about to lose the part of your user base that knows basic shit about the internet.

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
Wow, Firefox Android is definitely an adjustment. Not a fan of the tab design, but like that I can use a proper ad block and Ghostery. Need to research on more good add-ons.
Firefox Android has built-in ad-blocker, so you kinda don't need to install any. Also, there are a lot of other cool features (like tab queue or ability to play YouTube videos in background).

And you could try MS Edge too - I was surprised how good and fast it is.

Basically, Chrome is the slowest and laggiest browser on the market right now.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edge here I come lol

Microsoft announced they are moving development of the desktop version of Edge over to Chromium: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...pen-source-collaboration/#rv55ow424vqlEl7Q.97

we're announcing that we intend to adopt the Chromium open source project in the development of Microsoft Edge on the desktop to create better web compatibility for our customers and less fragmentation of the web for all web developers.

As part of this, we intend to become a significant contributor to the Chromium project, in a way that can make not just Microsoft Edge — but other browsers as well — better on both PCs and other devices.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Really don't want to switch since I've been using Chrome for forever now but this shit sounds awful.

Oct 25, 2017
Chrome team has been trying to get people off this API for years due to the performance problems. Basically it allows arbitrary code execution to filter requests in progress which is real easy to mess up and abuse not to mention requires a lot more complexity in the request pipeline. Declarative Web Request makes you define all the rules up front losing a lot of dynamic capability but they can easily bound the performance of requests. This move has been a long time coming but Google does have a lot of weight so any sort of decision like this will squish some people.

Anyways, moving to Firefox won't do shit. Firefox deprecated their extension API for WebExtensions (same one used in Chrome, Edge, and Safari) and this of course is driven by Chromium. FireFox only supports manifest v2, and this change is breaking for v3. There is little chance they will not keep parity as that was pretty much the whole point. Standard web extensions for all browsers will get this change eventually.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Chrome team has been trying to get people off this API for years due to the performance problems. Basically it allows arbitrary code execution to filter requests in progress which is real easy to mess up and abuse not to mention requires a lot more complexity in the request pipeline. Declarative Web Request makes you define all the rules up front losing a lot of dynamic capability but they can easily bound the performance of requests. This move has been a long time coming but Google does have a lot of weight so any sort of decision like this will squish some people.

Anyways, moving to Firefox won't do shit. Firefox deprecated their extension API for WebExtensions (same one used in Chrome, Edge, and Safari) and this of course is driven by Chromium. FireFox only supports manifest v2, and this change is breaking for v3. There is little chance they will not keep parity as that was pretty much the whole point. Standard web extensions for all browsers will get this change eventually.

outside of client benefits, this obviously more tangential to reining in adblocking efforts. a definite conflict of interest when google itself owns an advertising platform. is client performance still considered a major issue?

Oct 25, 2017

That's not entirely correct - the WebExtensions specification matches Chrome's v2, but it differs in key ways and is not a direct 1:1 port of Google code. They are developing WebExtensions independently of Chrome - including quite a few of their own APIs - and as such, it won't have a direct effect on anything in Firefox. Parity was an ideal, but not a requirement. Unless I've somehow missed a post where UBO developer gorhill has stated that this v3 change would also affect his Firefox extensions?

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Switched back to firefox after quantum and it's (mostly) been great. Really unimpressed with Google these days based on their products alone, let alone all this shitty "ok maybe it's fine to be evil" stuff they've been doing lately.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
If this happens I'll just switch to Firefox, there are just too many malicious ads on the internet that it's stupid to browse without a blocker on non-trusted sites.

Oct 25, 2017
Firefox Android has built-in ad-blocker, so you kinda don't need to install any. Also, there are a lot of other cool features (like tab queue or ability to play YouTube videos in background).
That's not correct. Are you confusing Firefox for Android and Firefox Focus/Klar? Both do feature block tracking protection which Focus uses by default. But its capabilities are not even close to uBlock origin). I recommend anyone to use Firefox for Android as you can pretty much use any add-on you can use available for it's desktop sibling (such as uBlock Origin, NoScript, Cookie AutoDelete etc.).

Sinfamy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before, but giving an Ad Company the defacto monopoly over the web and the standards that get used was a huge fucking mistake.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
They're welcome to try.

A tip for everyone not in the know: Maintain a strong hosts file on your PC. The way a hosts file works (or at least, one way to use it) is that if you have a website listed in your hosts file, your computer can't access it - simple as that. You can do this easily with a hosts file manager, but you can also make a custom hosts file yourself if you know what you're doing. I use a combo of MVPS Hosts, Cameleon, and the Malware Domain List, along with a ton of custom entries.

A hosts file is essentially adblock for everything on your PC - not just browsers, but also other various applications that can potentially access unwanted content on the internet. You can use it to block not only ads but whatever other domains you don't want to access under any circumstances. I used it to prevent certain games from accessing RedShell, as an example.

Google can tear up all the adblockers in the world and it won't matter one bit if you've got a decent hosts file.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
They're welcome to try.

A tip for everyone not in the know: Maintain a strong hosts file on your PC. The way a hosts file works (or at least, one way to use it) is that if you have a website listed in your hosts file, your computer can't access it - simple as that. You can do this easily with a hosts file manager, but you can also make a custom hosts file yourself if you know what you're doing. I use a combo of MVPS Hosts, Cameleon, and the Malware Domain List, along with a ton of custom entries.

A hosts file is essentially adblock for everything on your PC - not just browsers, but also other various applications that can potentially access unwanted content on the internet. You can use it to block not only ads but whatever other domains you don't want to access under any circumstances. I used it to prevent certain games from accessing RedShell, as an example.

Google can tear up all the adblockers in the world and it won't matter one bit if you've got a decent hosts file.
The last sentence is completely incorrect, for one. This assumes Chrome will use system DNS facilities. Google is capable of just forcing it to connect to 8.8.8.8 though. Thinking to intercept that? Enter DNS over HTTPS.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And you could try MS Edge too - I was surprised how good and fast it is.

Basically, Chrome is the slowest and laggiest browser on the market right now.

Not on mobile. Firefox scrolling is garbage.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017
There actually was a point between 2017-2018 where Firefox fell behind, Chrome was just faster, period.

I can live with an 0.1 second slowdown knowing my internetactivity won't be sold to other companies. Mozilla is a non-profit organisation just scraping by due to donations every year. They have always been championing a free internet and fighting these mega corporations like Facebook and Google whenever they screwed the pooch.

I already use google to search, have youtube to tube and android on my telephone. These have no real good alternatives, chrome and gmail however do, so you get rid of that asap.

Oct 25, 2017
Not on mobile. Firefox scrolling is garbage.

The meme of "Try Nightly!" has persisted for years and generally I've never found it to be true, but there was actually a series of bugs filed last year so a dedicated group could work out Firefox Android's poor scrolling. I am currently using both the nightly build of the regular Android browser as well as the nightly build of Focus/Klar, which are both using these improved scrolling physics and rendering handling, and have found it to come very close to Brave/Chromium's scrolling performance. Should be on its way into the normal browser in a few months, as well as integrated into the major browser rebuild codenamed Fenix.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The meme of "Try Nightly!" has persisted for years and generally I've never found it to be true, but there was actually a series of bugs filed last year so a dedicated group could work out Firefox Android's poor scrolling. I am currently using both the nightly build of the regular Android browser as well as the nightly build of Focus/Klar, which are both using these improved scrolling physics and rendering handling, and have found it to come very close to Brave/Chromium's scrolling performance. Should be on its way into the normal browser in a few months, as well as integrated into the major browser rebuild codenamed Fenix.

I'll try the nightly build on mobile then!

Edit: It does actually seem to be a bit better! Thanks

Last edited:

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I tried switching to Firefox last year, but there were so many little annoying things on the desktop version that are effortless in Chrone. That said I might have put up with them had the iOS version not been total trash. Here's hoping ublock works around the limitations or some other fix is created.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea my scrolling issues on Firefox Mobile was fixed some months back. Made it really hard to use ResetEra before that. Scroll would interrupt constantly and go in to random threads.

Yeah, it was pretty terrible on Resetera. For the past few months, I've already been jumping between Chrome and Firefox on my PC, but kept going back to Chrome due to mobile sync and the Chrome Android browser being soo much better than Firefox.

A reminder for "new" Firefox owners this is a must read website - https://www.privacytools.io/

Last edited:

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I already use google to search, have youtube to tube and android on my telephone. These have no real good alternatives, chrome and gmail however do, so you get rid of that asap.
What is a good alternative to Gmail on mobile? I've been looking at moving away from Gmail since they made the idiotic decision to close Inbox, but I can't find much that doesn't just use a Gmail address in a 3rd party app. All I could really find as an alternative is either Outlook (which seems to have ads in the mobile app like Gmail, so that's a nonstarter) or paid hosted email. I'm not opposed to paying for hosted email if that really is the best alternative.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
outside of client benefits, this obviously more tangential to reining in adblocking efforts. a definite conflict of interest when google itself owns an advertising platform. is client performance still considered a major issue?

Dear fucking lord yes. There have also been a lot of security issues with this API. There does need to be something done here (though looking after the Chrome extensions store properly is number one on that list rather than API changes), but this particular move restricts the user agent too much. I suspect they will row it back.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
I got rid of chrome a year ago and have been using Firefox. I've been trying Vivaldi lately and I really like it. I hope they remove this "feature" from their fork of chromium. Is there any reason devs are not using the new FF Quantum core as a foundation for their browsers?

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Vivaldi uses the Chromium engine

But Brave uses the Chromium engine

People, you don't help against the Chromium monopoly if you switch to a Chromium-based browser. Google isn' "getting fucked".

Brave respects privacy which is at least one of the major issues with Chrome.

Don't expect more people to switch to Firefox until Mozilla sort out their trash mobile browser. And I mean in the default channels. The average person doesn't want to install nightlies just to get a passable experience.

Vivaldi doesn't even have a mobile browser yet.

Chrome domination will continue till mobile catches up with competitors. It's a massive oversight how slow and far mobile competition is lagging behind in today's market.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
+1 on the Pi Hole recommendation pile, blocks all ads on all my devices seamlessly.

Deleted member 300

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But Vivaldi uses the Chromium engine

But Brave uses the Chromium engine

People, you don't help against the Chromium monopoly if you switch to a Chromium-based browser. Google isn' "getting fucked".

i switched to brave a while ago due to how bad firefox was at a certain point, has it made considerable improvements, because it was worse for performance than chrome at a time