• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
Hope that Cyberpunk will come to Stadia so I don't have to upgrade my PC. My rig is good enough for most indie and some AAA games, but for Blockbuster titles streaming could be really great for me....even though there is no chance to play cyberpunk modded I guess. I do not care for owning games, I play games once (with exception of some oldies) and after that I do not care about them anymore.
I think I might play exclusives on switch and Ps4 and will use stadia for pc or multiplat games if they are available on the new service.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Hope that Cyberpunk will come to Stadia so I don't have to upgrade my PC. My rig is good enough for most indie and some AAA games, but for Blockbuster titles streaming could be really great for me....even though there is no chance to play cyberpunk modded I guess. I do not care for owning games, I play games once (with exception of some oldies) and after that I do not care about them anymore.
I think I might play exclusives on switch and Ps4 and will use stadia for pc or multiplat games if they are available on the new service.

Same. I really want to play Cyberpunk at max settings but I don't want to upgrade my PC! I hope it comes out on Stadia day one.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017

I just got a Vega 56, so i'll probably play Cyberpunk locally. But if the graphics on Stadia are way better, I'll play it there. I definitely will recommend console/pc-less friends play it on Stadia tho.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same. I really want to play Cyberpunk at max settings but I don't want to upgrade my PC! I hope it comes out on Stadia day one.

Based on Stadias track record so far of getting third parties onboard for AAA games, I don't doubt it'll be available day one.

The family plan is definitely interesting. I could see them charging $25-$30 for it which isn't bad at all if that's the case.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Interesting that they mention in the tweet responses that a family plan is on the radar.

While just a general answer atm, it is better than an outright no

It was confirmed by PR people during E3, but the details are still hazy. They also mentioned some kind of "guest pass" (separate from the Buddy Pass) to facilitate local multiplayer. I'm interested to know if I can buy Borderlands 3 on Stadia and play coop on a single license. Doubly-interested to know if it's somehow restricted to devices I own or if a friend in another state can play coop on my account.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
One question I'd love someone to ask is what kind of aspect ratios will be available. I have an ultra wide monitor so it would be awesome if that's supported.

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This has probably been discussed quite a bit, but I thought it was quite interesting and intelligent to have the controller connect directly to wifi (and thus the server) instead of going through a phone or other device, which has the chance of slowing down the input latency.

I wonder if that's an option that next-gen console controllers will have, since they still seem to be focusing on the ability to remote play and stuff like that. Either connect directly to the (console) or connect to wifi during remote play.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
This has probably been discussed quite a bit, but I thought it was quite interesting and intelligent to have the controller connect directly to wifi (and thus the server) instead of going through a phone or other device, which has the chance of slowing down the input latency.

I wonder if that's an option that next-gen console controllers will have, since they still seem to be focusing on the ability to remote play and stuff like that. Either connect directly to the (console) or connect to wifi during remote play.
We will have to see how well it works, if it really makes that big of a difference. I know during some of the demo's the controller desynched from the server which adds a new list of possible problems

Blanquito

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
We will have to see how well it works, if it really makes that big of a difference. I know during some of the demo's the controller desynched from the server which adds a new list of possible problems
Ah, also a good point.

It also doesn't help when you're out and about and want to play... you'd still have to connect to the phone to get internet (e.g. wifi hotspot) or just connect directly to the phone

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Ah, also a good point.

It also doesn't help when you're out and about and want to play... you'd still have to connect to the phone to get internet (e.g. wifi hotspot) or just connect directly to the phone

It sounds like Stadia might not support gaming over LTE at launch anyway, so you might have to be on wifi. But the Stadia controller supports wired mode, so you can probably connect it usb c->c

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey

I don't know if the game console manufacturers have considered it, but now that Google has mentioned it, then I'd bet they'll at least explore the possibility.

One possibility for travelers is that the Stadia controller might have the ability to pair to a phone through Bluetooth, and then replicate Wi-Fi connection settings from the phone.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles

I'm in a pretty similar boat. I realize that it's a niche with a quieter voice than the enthusiast crowds on a gaming forum, but Stadia sounds like a really good fit for me. I prefer digital media (except for books and vinyl), I'm already hooked in to Google's ecosystem, I have good and stable Wi-Fi at home, and I'm not that interested in most mega-budget western games. When the occasional ~AAA~ (sigh) game that I'm interested in comes along -- like Cyberpunk -- it makes so much more sense for me to stream it than it does to invest in more hardware. In my very particular case, Switch with a little Stadia could be a very nice combo.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
But the Stadia controller supports wired mode, so you can probably connect it usb c->c

Ah, I didn't know it supports wired mode. I wonder if it could also function as a standard PC controller? $70 is a rather lofty price to pay for a controller that works only with a new and unproven game service, but this might be mitigated if the controller could also work with a PC or mobile device for games outside of Stadia.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Ah, I didn't know it supports wired mode. I wonder if it could also function as a standard PC controller? $70 is a rather lofty price to pay for a controller that works only with a new and unproven game service, but this might be mitigated if the controller could also work with a PC or mobile device for games outside of Stadia.

Yeah the store page says it's hid compliant over usb-c. And I saw it confirmed elsewhere, not sure about the link.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I'm tempted to buy it because I'm a tech geek even though I have zero faith it's gonna catch on (and have a high end gaming rig, PS4, Xbox.. every console ever, etc.) lol

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else excited for cross-save on Destiny 2?

I feel like this is huge and I hope it becomes the norm across games that are big on multiple platforms.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
So I got into the GeForce Now Beta. Although it has some issues, it's laid to rest my issues about input lag.

At 120Hz streaming, I do experience some microstuttering, but the input lag is largely comparable to 60fps vsync. I don't think most people will notice at all. I was playing Counter-Strike GO with m/kb and it wasn't bad at all. Nowhere near 144Hz Gsync, but not bad considering.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So I got into the GeForce Now Beta. Although it has some issues, it's laid to rest my issues about input lag.

At 120Hz streaming, I do experience some microstuttering, but the input lag is largely comparable to 60fps vsync. I don't think most people will notice at all. I was playing Counter-Strike GO with m/kb and it wasn't bad at all. Nowhere near 144Hz Gsync, but not bad considering.
It will probably be fine for most games, and off course no one is gonna play their competitive game on a stadia.
anyway, I have mine pre-ordered, I really hope the controller will be any good. since I like the look of em

Dec 1, 2017
To play on your TV you will need to use the Stadia Controller and Google Chromecast Ultra.
So you still need a Chromecast Ultra even if you're playing in 1080p? This plus needing the controller (I know the Chromecast is WiFi-only but still) and Destiny 2 not being crossplay and phone compatibility being limited to Pixel phones is really iffy.

I'm cautious but I can't wait for the Digital Foundry breakdown on input lag and video quality.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
So you still need a Chromecast Ultra even if you're playing in 1080p? This plus needing the controller (I know the Chromecast is WiFi-only but still) and Destiny 2 not being crossplay and phone compatibility being limited to Pixel phones is really iffy.

I'm cautious but I can't wait for the Digital Foundry breakdown on input lag and video quality.

There is a "launch period" during which I believe the only way to play is through a Chromecast. After this period (months, maybe a year?), after the full rollout, you just need a browser and Internet.

Dec 1, 2017
There is a "launch period" during which I believe the only way to play is through a Chromecast. After this period (months, maybe a year?), after the full rollout, you just need a browser and Internet.
Oh yeah I should have specified for TV usage.

For sure, 30 min at lunch break, or during a bus or a train ride that sounds perfect. Since it's cross save, I guess you could just pick it up later on your PC or console when you get home.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
If Destiny 2: New Light still requires PS+ after September 17th, I'm switching to Stadia with cross save asap.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
You can play with a browser right away, or at least that's the assumption for how laptop/desktop usage will work from day one.

Stadia Founder's Edition lets you instantly enjoy games in up to 4K on your TV1 without a console. You can also play across laptops, desktops, Pixel 3, and Pixel 3a2 with cross-screen early access starting from day one.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
biggest issue i see with d2 on stadia is without cross play, you'll have a very limited pool of players, only the early adopters which bums me out.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
You can play with a browser right away, or at least that's the assumption for how laptop/desktop usage will work from day one.

"Stadia Founder's Edition lets you instantly enjoy games in up to 4K on your TV1 without a console. You can also play across laptops, desktops, Pixel 3, and Pixel 3a2 with cross-screen early access starting from day one."

But if that quote is the only thing you are relying on, note that it says "Stadia Founder's Edition", which comes with a Chromecast Ultra. Them saying "...play across laptops, desktops..." in that context could mean only with Chromecast plugged in (those specific phones will have their specialized app/os-level support).

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
But if that quote is the only thing you are relying on, note that it says "Stadia Founder's Edition", which comes with a Chromecast Ultra. Them saying "...play across laptops, desktops..." in that context could mean only with Chromecast plugged in (those specific phones will have their specialized app/os-level support).
That doesn't make sense to me; you don't plug a Chromecast into a PC.

They are requiring people buy the Founder's edition (likely to limit the number of people accessing at launch so the system doesn't crash and burn); but if you buy the founders edition you'll be able to play on a laptop/desktop or a supported device.

How that works isn't specified; but it makes zero sense that it would require plugging in a Chromecast. That's an HDMI based device and the vast majority of PCs have no HDMI input.

So it's either going to be an app or a special version of or plugin for Chrome. (or simply an HTML5 based site you log into)

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Google may have just outed a loophole to getting into Stadia Base at launch. From my latest Ars story:

if you buy the $130 Google Stadia Founder's Edition and then return its hardware for a refund, Google will deactivate nearly every cloud-based portion of your purchase. That includes the bundle's three-month subscription to Stadia Pro, "all games claimed while a subscriber" (meaning: any timed Stadia Pro exclusives during your time of use), the included three-month "Buddy Pass" subscription that you may have sent to a friend, and the cosmetic "Founder" tags attached to your username.

Intriguingly, however, this cancellation does not void your username, nor does it punt users from accessing Stadia Base, the service's free tier (which will not otherwise be available at launch to average users via signing up at a Google website). Thus, if you want to use Stadia Base at launch without spending $130, buying and returning a Stadia Founder's Edition appears to be an official route to doing just that. Plus, buying a Founder's Edition is currently the only way to reserve day-one access to Stadia usernames, so if you really want to snag "cooldude420" in the Stadia-verse without shelling out $130, Google may have just given you a sneaky way to do so.

More at: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019...irms-couch-co-op-game-access-after-delistings

Status
Not open for further replies.