• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Was looking at some Monster Hunter World stuff just now and I scroll down to read comments and see "God of War Final Boss" with picture.

I loled.

Yeah, I'm way more annoyed by the dismissive attitude in this thread more than the problem itself. You guys are terrible people. From their point of view we might as well be complaining about the first 5 minutes of a game counting as spoilers. Thankfully, I'm generally pretty good at avoiding spoilers. Avoiding YouTube as much as possible definitely helps. The only two times it's happened to me are with Kid Icarus Uprising finding a final boss thumbnail (and with how back and forth the game jumps around, it was somewhat expected but disappointing that I had to go through the rest of the game knowing) and recently, Super Mario Odyssey, but again, it was one of those, "Well, I'm not surprised, but it would've been nice to have been surprised" kind of reactions. And thankfully It didn't spoil the whole sequence so it was still a nice surprise.

Still, I see a lot of FINAL BOSS thumbnails for games I don't care about and it's really annoying to see. I think if these uploaders could put a little more effort into their uploads like NOT putting the worst possible offending screenshot as a thumbnail, that'd be great. I might try those video blocking plugins recommended in this thread too, but having the ability to block certain recommendations shouldn't be too much to ask.

There's this thing around here and the old forum where you had people publicly masturbating over how much they are an Enlightened Superior Being because they don't care about spoilers in any context and how you are a lesser life form for caring in any capacity. Wanting to treat the final boss of a game with some care was equated as the same as wanting the first 2 minutes of a game to be spoilered. In other words the legitimate complaints were treated the same as the exaggerated ones in order to push the Enlightened Superior Being narrative.

The one guy in this thread that posted that dumb video made me laugh to be honest. That's the exact sort of thing I'm talking about.

People who don't want to be spoiled on the final boss of a game are too dumb, once they watch this youtube video they will surely realize how stupid they were all along!

S0L

Oct 30, 2017
Pretty sure there was an embargo on god of war stuff until about 8 hours ago. I read quick and can't help it if I read the title of a video that says " Boss Name, NEW GOD OF WAR" when it shows up on the recommended list in youtube. Honestly painful, I've managed to go all this way... hours away from launch before being spoiled.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Was looking at some Monster Hunter World stuff just now and I scroll down to read comments and see "God of War Final Boss" with picture.

I loled.
Lol. Just saw the same thing. Skimmed the video and read the comments. I'm glad they have spoilers posted so early. Now I know how gow ends. Good thing I've seen the thor movies so I understand a little bit about what happened. Lol

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
weird, i always click on trailer links but i don't get a lot of video games recommendations on my youtube, maybe it's for the best

but yeah it sucks, haven't got anything spoiled for me but i've seen spoiler thumbnails before

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I just came across 'God of War Final Boss' as a YouTube recommended video. Mercifully it didn't have any name attached to it, but man, yeah, it's going to be rough for anyone who watched any media for the game and isn't playing it immediately if you want to use YouTube, at least on mobile.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Do I need to trot out the videos explaining how spoilers aren't actually worth fretting over and they can actually enhance your enjoyment of a piece of media?

This is just straight up false, I'm sure I understand the lengths of my enjoyment and if they're effected by spoilers or not more than you do.

Anyways, even watching a trailer for a game is dangerous as it will bring up all of the assholes who post videos with the most incriminating spoiler images and titles. FINAL BOSS. CHARACTER DEATH. BETRAYAL. PLOT TWIST. Etc.

Danganronpa is actually terrible for it, for such a story based game the fanbase sure LOVES to make spoiler videos and images the day the games come out in Japan, with 1+ year for localisation it's actually torture...

Also I'm sick to death of some of you guys posting FF7 spoilers in these threads obnoxiously like you're hilarious and it hasn't been done a 1000 times already.

GrimJawz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This just happened to me, the only God of War videos I've watched over the last year were two reviews in the last week, and two of the videos people were posting about what happened in the previous GoW games. I don't know about Google doing something, but I don't know why it would think I want to watch that video out of all of them currently being posted, I've never watched a video by this person before. I'm not annoyed the video is there, I'm annoyed that something thought I might want to watch this video.

I've gone into my history and delete everything to do with God of War in the hopes nothing else will pop up. This also happened with the last season of Game of Thrones, it tried to show me a video from the penultimate episode that was a picture and title of a big moment when I haven't watched anything but the trailer before the season started.
For me it had nothing to do with watch history or recommendations, it was in the recently upload section that YouTube literally opens up on, I launched the app and it was the first thing in my fucking face lol.

ronaldthump

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah its fucking annoying. This youtubers need some timeout.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I was scrolling through youtube on my phone and saw text saying "God of War: Final boss...." I quickly scrolled past the name but saw the screenshot. Thankfully it wasnt too much.

Nov 1, 2017
Key moments (which are often spoilers) are easy views/discussion, that "God of War Final Boss" video is at 400,000+ right now. It's unfortunate that those who want to avoid it have a chance of seeing it but that's always a risk whenever any popular piece of media is released.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
I really should keep note of how many games youtube thumbnails have spoiled for me, the most recent was Wolfenstein 2.

What sucks is, I don't even watch YouTube on a PC and haven't for years. I watch it on my TVs app as well as on the console apps, but every time a video is done a screen comes up with recommended videos and boom, there it is. Often times not even related to the video I was watching.

pewpewtora

Nov 23, 2017
Connecticut
Yeah, I just stay in my subscriptions tab whenever a big game comes out. I remember getting spoiled on the ending of RE7 and getting really pissed off when I looked in my suggestions. The algorithm aint gonna fix any of that tho. If anything it'll make it worse.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Or just clear your YouTube history, install a video blocker, or avoid YouTube for a week if it's that big of a deal to you. YouTube has a whole lot of super questionable content it needs to police before something as trivial as game spoilers

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This has been a huge problem for the last 5 years or so (since GTA V release), Youtube decides to recommend spoiler videos and ruin games for me. I don't follow these channels so why the fuck is Google pushing them to me?

I can ignore them on my pc with a nice addon which lets me insta block videos with certain key words but not so on my phone or tv.

They could easily solve this problem with some algorithm.

Fortunately not spoiled on the new GoW but be warned.
watch gaming related videos in the incognito window so it doesn't add to the algorithm of recommended videos on your normal account.

Hidden One

Oct 26, 2017
❔❔❔
Honestly I wish there was a way for them to do something. I literally have only watched maybe 4 or 5 GOW related videos and when I get home the first thing I see is some boss fight spoiler from a channel I don't even follow.

Last edited:

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got spoiled 3 days ago with Youtube thumbnail pic too

Unninstalled the app at the exact same moment

I got really mad at the time since it popped up out of nowhere in the initial fucking page but oh well

At least it wasnt a boss tho

Feb 16, 2018
needs more metadata

each video needs to be attached to a specific product
google needs to know the release date of those prodcuts
video needs to be tagged as 'contains spoilers'

then maybe they can hide spoilers for products released recently

i thought youtube gaming (or whatever that is called. i don't use it) knew the first 2 things on the list. but it seems like the 3rd one is a manual process

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've had this happen for Yakuza games and it bums me out. Wish youtube had spoiler tags at least, is there a good reason it doesn't?

Also, youtube's recommendation algorithm is just shit in general, the amount of shit they recommend me that I have no clue where they got the idea from that I'd watch it. I wonder if it's a very simple "people who watch this like clicking this" thing. It has no consideration that people may not even want to be recommended certain videos. Would certainly explain all the sensationalist clickbait right wing stuff.

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
Do you watch any video game videos? I mean, I would only imagine it would recommend videos to you about the trending video games if you do. (Even if you don't follow the channels it's still about games)

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
Somehow clicking on a video of Black Panther dubbed in Japanese had a "God of War 4 Final Boss!" video recommended. But why.

At least the thumbnail was incomprehensible

Oct 26, 2017
It is sort of befuddling why people who post stuff like that on YouTube think it's ok to do so...

... except it actually totally isn't since most people just don't give a shit about others.
Maybe there are more people interested in seeing the final boss early than that mind? Different strokes and all.

If the only value a piece of media has is surprising me with the ending then it probably isn't worth my time in the first place imo. Other people enjoy that, we all have to cope however we can. Avoid youtube around release of things you care about, maybe? Kind of ridiculous to think it's google's problem when the majority of users don't give a shit or actually want the content.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yeah I was just watching PlayStations live countdown and the top recommended video was "God of War Final Boss!!!" with a clear picture of the end boss... so fuck that shit, I ain't watching YouTube till I finish the game.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Another idea: Let's just remove plot from video games, so it can't be spoiled on YouTube.

The Sakurai Solution™.

brokenmachine

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna say it's not that bad...

*clicks on youtube tab* God of War Final Boss (boss in the thumbnail)

Okay that's kind of annoying.

Deleted member 2913

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the people blaming the OP and his viewing habits for getting spoiler videos recommended. That's completely bullshit, I've been recommended videos before for stuff that does not relate at all to a fucking video game that I watched, and it would pop up with some spoiler as recommended.

A shitty feature is a shitty feature.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they could bother to just like, click ban on the more prominent ones.

I don't even need them to do that. Just let me block god of war from coming up in suggestions.

That way I can still safely google "God of War OST" (which is lovely btw), but not have to worry about spoilers showing up. Like, youtube loses nothing. They didn't lose a click, because I'm not going to click a spoiler...which is why I blocked it. Instead, they've encouraged me to use the site more and have less association between it and being annoyed.

The only thing you can do if you want to keep using YouTube is to erase your YouTube history so that the recommendations are wiped clean.

Unfortunately it doesn't work for some people. For example, I was getting Far Cry 5 videos when I had never clicked anything on Far Cry 5. Another poster said the same thing.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Why google? Should be up to dev/pub's to chase down and protect their IP prior to release, block share features until release, take down notices, etc...

Some people want to be spoiled, some people don't care. YouTube shouldn't have to bear the burden of protecting other peoples shit, and likewise if I want to be spoiled I shouldn't have to wait for everyone else to go "ok we're ready now."

But you know, Sony doesn't actually care if you get spoiled. You'll buy GoW anyway.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
All these people acting like spoilers are fine. It's usually just because it's somethig they don't like and they get enjoyment out of ruining it for others.

I remember someone on my Facebook years ago though it'd be funny to post about the ending of a film they knew people were excited for. So I commented back Jon Snows fate from GOT, a show they did care about, and boy were they not happy about that.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Who are the jerk YouTubers putting the spoilers in the image? Maybe they're who the fans should go after. I personally would be super pissed if I were spoiled like this.

Nov 17, 2017
Unfortunately it doesn't work for some people. For example, I was getting Far Cry 5 videos when I had never clicked anything on Far Cry 5. Another poster said the same thing.
It worked for me to avoid Xenoblade 2 spoilers but you may have a point. Out of curiousity I went into YouTube and lo and behold "God of War Final Boss" with a thumbnail image of it. I'm not even into God of War, I haven't followed it or even watched any videos about it. It seems like it's just showing me because I watch things related to video games in general. Really hate youtubers who do this.

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
What if the issue is tags? I know YouTube had tags on videos but now they are hidden from the viewer. I wouldn't be surprised if people put up videos with tags of trending topics (like a new game release) and so maybe that's why even if you're watching something like a Minecraft video, a god of war video might be recommended?

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
This has been a huge problem for the last 5 years or so (since GTA V release), Youtube decides to recommend spoiler videos and ruin games for me. I don't follow these channels so why the fuck is Google pushing them to me?

I can ignore them on my pc with a nice addon which lets me insta block videos with certain key words but not so on my phone or tv.

They could easily solve this problem with some algorithm.

Fortunately not spoiled on the new GoW but be warned.

The only way this can be solved, and you ain't gonna like it, is if companies start punishing people for uploading before a certain time. Just like what Atlus did for Persona 5. If you uploaded before a certain date and up to a certain point, they had YouTube pull the footage. Some people ended up with strikes. The only way you're going to stop this is enforcement.

As for why they're being pushed on you? They're trending. They've seen your past history is about video games, so it figures that you might like that. The system is doing its job, it's just that what it's doing, you don't care for.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just watched an official trailer for God of War and as soon as it ended an icon popped up that spoiled the final boss.

Like hot damn, I can't watch just one 30 second video from PlayStation without the game being spoilt.

Ombra

Jan 22, 2018
I haven't seen any single video about God of War to avoid spoilers (nor boss video in general), today I open the page and get recommended "Final boss + ending"
I mean, what the fuck?!!!
Basically. I'm all for publishers giving copyright strikes for leaking before stream embargos are up. Thats the only way to fix this.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Basically. I'm all for publishers giving copyright strikes for leaking before stream embargos are up. Thats the only way to fix this.

It worked for me to avoid Xenoblade 2 spoilers but you may have a point. Out of curiousity I went into YouTube and lo and behold "God of War Final Boss" with a thumbnail image of it. I'm not even into God of War, I haven't followed it or even watched any videos about it. It seems like it's just showing me because I watch things related to video games in general. Really hate youtubers who do this.

That's exactly what's going on.

And yeah, I hate those youtubers too, but I mean, what are you going to do? Everyone disagrees on how soon it's okay to see spoilers. Just let me block a keyword until I'm good to see it.

I agree it'd be good for publishers to do something, but there might be negatives for them in doing so. So until that gets sorted out, just give us a block feature. Because this is an issue that would take years to solve because it's not just a gaming issue.

Let me block Game of Thrones videos. I don't want to see them. I won't be clicking them anyway. Just let me block that chain of words.

Krussail

Oct 28, 2017
I saw this thread earlier yesterday had had been initially dismissive. Since I work for a game review outlet, usually I don't watch a lot of game trailers and gameplays, apart from initial announcements. So there's no reason for YouTube to suggest me a lot of trailers or gameplays, and it doesn't for the most part. I have been playing God of War over the last 7-10 days for review, so I had no reason to go looking for videos about it on YouTube. I still haven't finished as I am absolutely having a blast and am taking my time with the game.

However, a few hours after seeing this very thread (and dismissing it), I was on YouTube, when lo and behold in the recommended videos - God of War 4 Final Boss Fight (with the boss in the damn thumbnail)!!

So that was a bummer..

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
The people putting the spoilers in the video titles and thumbnails is really annoying. Twice today I've seen what I consider big spoilers. One earlier today, and another just now. Unrelated videos. I cleared my history and everything. Marked certain things as 'not interested'. Hasn't helped at all.