• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
So I minmaxed charm and stealth and I often make it to the end, the way I play the game is to just keep quiet until everyone gets weeded out, and then go hard.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

It's interesting how many approaches you can take.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot this was coming out today! Definitely going to snag. Seems like 100% my thing.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
thanks to Gris for the subtitle suggestion
Good call since that's the sole reason I clicked on this unfamiliar OT and decided to try out the game

Edit: I actually take this back. I greatly disliked what I played; it had nothing in common with Zero Escape aside from scifi elements. I wasted time and money, all because of this OT title.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
One thing I find kind of annoying is that when you are Gnosia if you get voted out you can't get a win/loss based upon if your ally gets the win. The game just ends with you being booted.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
I think I am just shy of having finished 15 loops, but I'm finding this really compelling so far. Even with the more basic tutorial loops, I've been finding it pretty satisfying to go back and read who defended who to deduce the remaining Gnosia.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
And of course I bought it.
Which are the best initial values for the abilities? 5 for each one?

Nachos

Oct 26, 2017
Really enjoying this. I just unlocked the last role at 21 loops, but I'm actually not sure if when you unlock it is scripted, or if it happens based on how you configure your games.

And of course I bought it.
Which are the best initial values for the abilities? 5 for each one?
I'm not sure if any of the Japanese players have come to a consensus on what's best, but all the stats are useful. Certain abilities also have stat requirements; the game won't lock you out of gaining abilities if you don't have enough points, but you won't be able to use them until you do.

Last edited:

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I think I was struck almost immediately by how decent the AI would need to be for something like this to work, like I was expecting sure you read and you make choices, but for the characters to be considering who to defend, the Roles choosing who to kill/save/investigate etc to all work in a believable way based on a wide array of player actions is actually fairly complex and they seem to have done a great job for something so unstructured, which is good because for procedural parts it kinda lives or dies on this.

Last edited:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I think I was struck almost immediately by how decent the AI would need to be for something like this to work, like I was expecting sure you read and you make choices, but for the characters to be considering who to defend, the Roles choosing who to kill/save/investigate etc to all work in a believable way based on a wade array of player actions is actually fairly complex and they seem to have done a great job for something so unstructured, which is good because for procedural parts it kinda lives or dies on this.

Yeah, I've been really impressed by the level that they've implemented werewolf/mafia mechanics and how it all works together. It might be the best single player representation of the game and that's on top of the whole looping premise and all the extra elements.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen any Western outlet reviews get, but the original Vita release got a 10/10 from IGN Japan.

My review will be dropping sometime later today, but I gave it a 9/10.

The ending is SO good and the lore is great. It's basically Among Us + Zero Escape + Raging Loop. I personally really loved it, despite some repetitiveness and sometimes I wanted to tear my hair out because I felt like I wasn't making story progress lol

Really enjoying this. I just unlocked the last role at 21 loops, but I'm actually not sure if when you unlock it is scripted, or if it happens based on how you configure your games.

I'm not sure if any of the Japanese players have come to a consensus on what's best, but all the stats are useful. Certain abilities also have stat requirements; the game won't lock you out of gaining abilities if you don't have enough points, but you won't be able to use them until you do.

I think Stealth and Intuition are the most useful. Stealth will lower your chances of getting killed overnight ( thus ending the round prematurely) and Intuition can kick in at random times, letting you know when someone is lying and gives you an extra edge.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Do you know if it stays that way?

Kind of. I played a bit over 200 loops in my playthrough to get to the ending.

Basically, you'll come across events that give you character entries in your crew log. They're represented as "!" on the map each night. They can be story events, events that give you a new skill, or simply that another character wants to team up with you

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of. I played a bit over 200 loops in my playthrough to get to the ending.

Basically, you'll come across events that give you character entries in your crew log. They're represented as "!" on the map each night. They can be story events, events that give you a new skill, or simply that another character wants to team up with you
Got it - thanks!

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I lost the first loop but it's already a lot of fun so far. Does the game award XP differently based on winning and losing loops?

Nachos

Oct 26, 2017
I think Stealth and Intuition are the most useful. Stealth will lower your chances of getting killed overnight ( thus ending the round prematurely) and Intuition can kick in at random times, letting you know when someone is lying and gives you an extra edge.
Right, I forgot that I had gotten a skill that compels people to say whether they're human. It has a high intuition requirement, so by the time you can use it, I'm sure there's a good chance that you'll be able to detect when people are lying.

I lost the first loop but it's already a lot of fun so far. Does the game award XP differently based on winning and losing loops?
It does. I think it also scales based on how difficult the game is.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
Now my strategy is biting back on me. Relying on stealth and being quiet most of the time makes me looks suspicious, and I end up in cold sleep on like Day 2.

Need to change strategy for a while, hehe.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017

Thanks, I will start with the default configuration then.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How's the game then? Seems like people are enjoying it? Should I pick it up if I like games like 999 and Danganronpa?

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

Winning gives more but also overall difficulty. Theres a Q&A in the menus which explains a lot of stuff but if you won as 1 Gnosia against 14 humans, that would reward more xp.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
www.resetera.com

Gnosia | Review Thread

Metacritic (82) OpenCritic (83) Polygon (no score): The Verge (no score): CBR (no score): Fanbyte (no score): Rice Digital (no score): The Fandom Post (B): IGN Japan (10/10, DeepL translation): Digitally Downloaded (5/5): But Why Tho? (9.5/10): RPG Site (9/10): GameSkinny...

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Here's my review:

www.gameskinny.com

Gnosia Review: Where Zero Escape, Among Us, and Raging Loop Collide

Gnosia draws similarities to games like Among Us and Zero Escape, but ultimately crafts a unique story with a crew of memorable characters.

How long does it take in your experience for the game to cross over from feeling like you don't have control of the situation and you need luck to "win" to you could consistently win each round?

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
How long does it take in your experience for the game to cross over from feeling like you don't have control of the situation and you need luck to "win" to you could consistently win each round?

You feel like you'll need "luck" at the earliest loops, IMO. But whether you win or lose, you'll gain EXP that you can use to increase your stats. As you level up, it'll be significantly easier to avoid Gnosia detection and also convince people of your arguments as well

Chronology

Oct 27, 2017
I don't suppose there's an English Vita port of this? I'll happily grab it on Switch if not, but I can't seem to find a straight answer online

TrueHero

Feb 24, 2018
as soon as I started I'm immediately intrigued, it's got stats and the the way dialogue is handled is interesting. Can't wait to see where this game goes.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Really interested when they announced this in the direct. The only way for them to screw this up is if the AI gets too predictable/formulaic and we learn the behaviors in like 5 plays or something.

DoctorDake

Development Director
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Austin, TX
This looks like VLR + Among Us; how close am I?

EDIT: Dumb question, everyone already said the answer in the thread :P

Cryoteck

Nov 2, 2017
I only got to play the first 3 loops over my lunch break but I am already impressed with this game. Can't wait to play more tonight!

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Started it up on my treadmill, and that's, by far, the fastest that time has ever gone for me. Super addicting game. I agree that things feel a bit random at the moment, but I think that's mostly just cause my skills all suck at the beginning. Do people reccomend keeping things relatively even or going all in(mostly) on a single/few skill(s) first?

It is also a bit of a feels bad when I see someone and start a collaboration with them just to die that night because of them though lol.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Started it up on my treadmill, and that's, by far, the fastest that time has ever gone for me. Super addicting game. I agree that things feel a bit random at the moment, but I think that's mostly just cause my skills all suck at the beginning. Do people reccomend keeping things relatively even or going all in(mostly) on a single/few skill(s) first?

It is also a bit of a feels bad when I see someone and start a collaboration with them just to die that night because of them though lol.

I had a great win in a loop as someone wanted to partner with me, they died that night, and I was able to look back and see who voted for them, and that person was the last Gnosia.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Bought tho sad there will be no crazy anime gore with the teen rating tsk tsk

Text seems to be 720p on a tv too which ew

Last edited:

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017

I'd focus on Stealth first, then Intuition. Stealth decreases the chance you get killed off overnight (ending your run prematurely) and Intuition can kick in at random times, telling you if someone is lying, and that can give you an edge.

So there's an end game, right? Credits rolling and all that.

Yup! true ending and everything

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
Am I doing something wrong, or is the game supposed to be skipping text?

First the opening intro scrolled by too fast to read, then multiple times during the first loop, the screen cuts away while a person's text box is still filling with text, so it's impossible to read it.

At the end of the first loop, the screen faded away and while it was fading away, the text changed to something else, but it was already too gone to read.

Is this just a stylistic choice? Am I pressing something too early?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'd focus on Stealth first, then Intuition. Stealth decreases the chance you get killed off overnight (ending your run prematurely) and Intuition can kick in at random times, telling you if someone is lying, and that can give you an edge.
Thanks for the advice! I'll start doing that instead.

First the opening intro scrolled by too fast to read, then multiple times during the first loop, the screen cuts away while a person's text box is still filling with text, so it's impossible to read it.

At the end of the first loop, the screen faded away and while it was fading away, the text changed to something else, but it was already too gone to read.

Same thing happened to me. I think it's intentional.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

i did notice it in those three instances. the first one was possible to read if you take screenshots, but the rest were impossible to read. i haven't seen any more cases of this in later loops tho.