• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Bullshit. Happy that the actors got paid, but come on. GLOW is awesome and deserves an ending.

With where they left S3, maybe they can get everyone back for a movie/long special or something.

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
I know Netflix have their algorithms etc... but I feel they are eventually going to piss off enough people with these cancellations to turn people away.

So many shows have been cancelled after S2/S3 with solid fanbases that are just being cancelled, and due to the way Netflix hold the rights, there is no hope of anyone else picking up these shows either.

I'm sure the data is good in terms of cancelling GLOW after S3 or The OA after S2 or Giri/Haji after S1 etc... for the bottom line (it won't bring in any new customers), but there's a point at which enough existing customers will just get so frustrated with these decisions and turn away. I'd much rather have one of those seasons of a show that I'm invested in than another slew of 10-episode seasons of which 1/5 might stick.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Lesson learned: don't watch anymore Netflix shows until it properly ends to binge watch in peace.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I know Netflix have their algorithms etc... but I feel they are eventually going to piss off enough people with these cancellations to turn people away.

So many shows have been cancelled after S2/S3 with solid fanbases that are just being cancelled, and due to the way Netflix hold the rights, there is no hope of anyone else picking up these shows either.

I'm sure the data is good in terms of cancelling GLOW after S3 or The OA after S2 or Giri/Haji after S1 etc... for the bottom line (it won't bring in any new customers), but there's a point at which enough existing customers will just get so frustrated with these decisions and turn away. I'd much rather have one of those seasons of a show that I'm invested in than another slew of 10-episode seasons of which 1/5 might stick.
They should at least make sure each of their series has an ending. Many people are discouraged from pick up a new show if they know it never has a proper conclusion.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any chance they'll bring it back later?

Probably not. Actors would be fully released from their contracts, and with a cast this large, it would be hard to get them all back. Also, as appears to be the crux of the cancelation, if they don't think the audience will be there in 2022, it sure as hell isn't going to be there in 2025 or whenever.

It's dead. The only dead Netflix show that I could realistically see getting resurrected at some point is Mindhunter.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
A real shame that they never let someone else pick up the shows they cancel and give them an ending either.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
tv shows are too often on some bullshit. either they go on far too long or they don't get enough time to properly end.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
The CW remains the only producer to trust with endings. They gave their 13-episode flop No Tomorrow an ending.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
didn't like season 3 so I likely wouldn't have watched season 4, but glad the cast was paid.

I'm here as well, although I think I would have watched it, hoping that they could turn it around and end well. There were some good episodes and scenes, but S3 was alternately boring and depressing in the second half.

I hated

The Brie/Maron Romance. I thought they were supposed to have a father-daughter relationship, so it felt pretty gross, not to mention unneeded.

I prefer to look at the end of season 2 as the end of the series. (I'm glad the cast got work for a third season, and that they got paid for S4, of course.)

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Not enough to matter to their bottom line. You've never been guaranteed a proper conclusion in television and you never will be.
It is funny to see people lately lament Netflix for killing shows after three or four seasons. I feel like it wasn't that long ago that networks were pulling the plug on shows after barely a year, if that, and whatever the last episode was your ending. It wasn't really until Lost, I think, that tv shows being allowed to plan for ending on its own terms became a thing.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Damn shame, hopefully they can put together some kind of finale at some point, S3 ends on such a doozey of a cliffhanger.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
I admit I didn't love the third season but I'm kind of livid that they left so many of the character's arcs wide open for a conclusion, promised said conclusion and then ripped it away. With every one of these cancellations Netflix is painting a clear picture of how mercenary and untrustworthy they are

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix deserves the flak for cancelling some of their shows but this one isnt the same. This one is 100% on Covid.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix is quickly getting the same reputation for cancelling shows that Google has for cancelling services, and it's not going to do them any favors moving forward.

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks, but I understand why they had to do it for business reasons. COVID is really good cover for cancelling stuff, but I'm not going to sit at home and wear a mask everywhere and be baffled why a show with full on wrestling is viewed as relatively unsafe and risky. But it really, really sucks.

Going to just sit out here and hope post-COVID they're willing to do a finale movie or something to cap the storyline. We don't need a full season, just give me something satisfying to end rewatches on.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
shows getting cancelled is a thing, folks

maybe netflix are the assholes here when you whittle all down. but it's not some relevatory concept just cancel all your services if you can't get over it

GLOW wasn't canceled for any reason other than they can't film wrestling because of Covid. The actors were all already paid.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Going to just sit out here and hope post-COVID they're willing to do a finale movie or something to cap the storyline. We don't need a full season, just give me something satisfying to end rewatches on.
One of the reasons for cancelling the series was that they felt that by the time they could safely continue filming it the time between series would have been too long to keep a big enough audience. That logic applies whether it's a full series or a one-off special so sadly I don't see it happening.

Having said that, enough people complained about Sense8 for Netflix to fund a finale and the noise from Lucifer fans got them to pick up what was a dead series for another 3 seasons so it's not without precedent.

Now, if I can just get them to pick up Firefly!

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently the scripts have already been written and the cast has been paid?

Do a fucking live table read!

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
www.hollywoodreporter.com

Making Sense of TV’s Wave of “Un-Renewals”

As the novel coronavirus pandemic continues to ravage balance sheets across the entertainment industry, a rapidly rising number of scripted originals are having their previously announced renewals reversed.

When it comes to wrestling comedy GLOW, Netflix said COVID-19 made filming the "physically intimate show with its large ensemble cast especially challenging." While safety is always a top concern and filming wrestling — or even crowd scenes as in The Society — played a role in GLOW's untimely cancellation, sources note costs on the series had also spiraled, reaching between $8 million-$12 million an episode — before factoring in budgets for PPE [personal protective equipment, which could add an additional $300-500,000 per episode].

wowww

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was literally next in line for my next binge. Now i don't know if i should even bother.

Dear Netflix. 1. Stop giving your fucking shows cliffhangers if you're not committed. 2. Or give every show a minimum 2 season deal before pulling the trigger.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the scripts have already been written and the cast has been paid?

Do a fucking live table read!
She deleted her tweet, but a wrestler named Taya Valkyrie said she was cast for the 3rd season and posted photos with the cast, so at least some of the show was already filmed.
Untitled-collage-10-696x385.jpg

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
She deleted her tweet, but a wrestler named Taya Valkyrie said she was cast for the 3rd season and posted photos with the cast, so at least some of the show was already filmed.
Untitled-collage-10-696x385.jpg

GLOW was about three weeks into filming its fourth season when production was suspended in mid-March amid the escalating COVID outbreak. (Brie posted a photo from the set on February19.) At the time of the shutdown, GLOW had completed one episode and had started on a second.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017

Netflix is pumping enough content that eventually someone will find something new to get over their frustration. You see it on their social media pages. For a couple weeks you see people constantly mentioning to renew their show then it fades away. Netflix algorithms seem to work pretty well.