• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, prosecution failed here and there really should be a law against this kind of deception. Has to be kind of be narrowly tailored though or else a huge can of worms could potentially be opened if made to broad.

Oh and that attourney has replied on the news story's comments section.

Oct 27, 2017
In theory no, but attourneys that say this:
"he says should have pursued a case for sexual battery. "It makes absolutely no sense if you're 'Boo hoo hoo the victim, boo hoo hoo hoo,'" he said, mimicking a whining child."

are absolute human fecal matter. And defending admitted rapists in this way is horrible, too.

But hey, it's men that are sooooooo scared nowadays. Toootally.

Yes but the original comment was about arguing the law, not about his comments like that. The other poster seems to think the defendant shouldn't have even had a defense. That's a different issue.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
By productive, do you mean doesnt make much money?

Because I dont give a fuuuuuuuck about that.

You kind of just glossed over the notion that he did, in fact, have a choice here.
To have a fair law system, you need someone to defend the 'guilty' party no matter what. So if he refused, another lawyer would need to accept unless you don't think the accused deserves to be represented. In which case, welcome back to the witch hunts.

Oct 27, 2017
People shouldnt defend admitted rapists. I dont think this is a difficult concept.

Even admitted criminals get a defense. But there's a more specific problem in this case. The argument made by the defense is that the law in Indiana doesn't support the charge of rape under these facts. Defense attorneys don't just try to help obviously innocent and good people get acquitted. They also represent the guilty and people who are scumbags to make sure the rules are followed by the police, the prosecutor and the courts, and to make sure the charges are fair and properly proven, among other things. The latter seemed to be the problem in this case. The defense argued that the statute the defendant was charged with did not apply, and that another statute would have been a more appropriate charge. Arguments like this are fundamental for defense attorneys, and it appears to have been a valid one to make.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
To have a fair law system, you need someone to defend the 'guilty' party no matter what. So if he refused, another lawyer would need to accept unless you don't think the accused deserves to be represented. In which case, welcome back to the witch hunts.
Point being: the lawyer chose to defend a rapist and we can *definitely* judge him accordingly. Quite simple.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This defense lawyer is the real life version of Jay's dad from Big Mouth jesus :

latest

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
What a fucking terrible piece of shit justice system we have. The law should definitely be changed, and such an act should patently constitute rape. Can't believe we still have so many shitty laws in 2018.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People shouldnt defend admitted rapists. I dont think this is a difficult concept.

Not difficult. Incredibly short sighted and dumb though. There have been many cases (not this one) where people have 'confessed' to crimes they did not commit under pressure. Those people wouldn't have any legal defense if it were up to you. It would turn the whole justice system in some medieval shit.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Even if the law protects him from full on rape, what about everything he did while she was asleep?

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Point being: the lawyer chose to defend a rapist and we can *definitely* judge him accordingly. Quite simple.
He chose to defend someone who was innocent of what he was accused of. You can find that as morally wrong as you want, but that is the apparant truth. He was innocent and you think he shouldn't have had a defense. Is that what you think is morally correct? It is absolutely outraging that he goes free, but in these circumstances, it is absolutely what should have happened.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Not difficult. Incredibly short sighted and dumb though. There have been many cases (not this one) where people have 'confessed' to crimes they did not commit under pressure. Those people wouldn't have any legal defense if it were up to you. It would turn the whole justice system in some medieval shit.
For the love of god.

People shouldnt defend rapists if they have a choice in the matter.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Even if the law protects him from full on rape, what about everything he did while she was asleep?

Going by what the article says...:

The defense attorney said the case was "overcharged" by prosecutors, who he says should have pursued a case for sexual battery. "It makes absolutely no sense if you're 'Boo hoo hoo the victim, boo hoo hoo hoo,'" he said, mimicking a whining child. "If your concern was for her, then why not prosecute for what you could do rather than what you knew was way out of bounds?"

Indiana's sexual battery law was amended in 2012 to include scenarios like Abigail's, where someone touches, for the purpose of sexual gratification, "another person's genitals, pubic area, buttocks, or female breast when that person is unaware that the touching is occurring."
"They had a law that would've protected Abigail," Freeman said of the prosecutors, "and they refused to apply it."

This is what the attorney defending Grant had to say about that. So it seems, since they pursued this case as a rape case, what happened can't be judged has a sexual battery case, wich she probably would have won because of the laws in place.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man what a horrible legal system. It must feel awful to be forced to acquit because the law is inadequate. The most you could likely hope to do as a juror is force a mistrial but then you have to wonder whether the extended legal battle that would result in right for the victim.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
And how do you (or a lawyer) know the difference between an accused rapist, a real rapist or someone who falsely admitted rape under pressure?
Well, but in this case they already knew he was a rapist since he addmited to knowing she thought he was her boyfriend...

It was then her boyfriend returned. (Abigail's boyfriend declined to be interviewed and the pair asked for him not to be named in this story.) He had spoken to Grant, who confessed he knew Abigail thought she was having sex with her boyfriend.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, if you're implying that you dont know if this guy is a rapist you have nothing of value to contribute to this discussion.

I am not implying that and you know it. A lot of people have already explained to you why your way of thinking is a danger to the justice system and you seem to think that you have some moral high ground. You don't.

I think it is painfully obvious you yourself dont have anything of value to add to this conversation. I have no interest in any further conversation with you though, so don't @ me.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I am not implying that and you know it. A lot of people have already explained to you why your way of thinking is a danger to the justice system and you seem to think that you have some moral high ground. You don't.

I think it is painfully obvious you yourself dont have anything of value to add to this conversation. I have no interest in any further conversation with you though, so don't @ me.
The thing that's so eye rolly about all of this is that I never tried to make it about the justice system. This is all because I said it's perfectly fine for us to judge a private attorney for choosing to defend a rapist.

Something that shouldnt be the slightest bit controversial.

KingT

Oct 30, 2017
Grant should be charged and thrown into jail really with a friend like him who needs enemy's. He have no respect for his friend relationship. But I also blame her stupid BF how did he leave her and go to another room without giving her any notification?

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming it's all factually true, if he thought she knew and was sober then there's no story.

But this

Is rape. Open and shut case, with confession.

The idea that rape must include physical violence is sadly still law in some places and sadly still assumption in some corners.

Always Sunny's "the implication" is a deliberately chilling episode where much of the laughter comes from a nervous tension about Dennis and the monstrosity he represents -- and as throwaway as an FX comedy seems, the cast and writers were well aware of what they were saying and weren't trivializing it. On the contrary they were using their voice and medium the best way they could.

See I was kind of indifferent until Grant admitted he knew that he was doing it with intent. That's an open and shut case of rape. He should be in jail. They may need to revise the law and add to as "the intent of deceiving".

Oct 27, 2017
The thing that's so eye rolly about all of this is that I never tried to make it about the justice system. This is all because I said it's perfectly fine for us to judge a private attorney for choosing to defend a rapist.

Something that shouldnt be the slightest bit controversial.

It's incredibly controversial. What does it mean to judge him? What's the alternative? Should no attorney represent someone he suspects is probably guilty of something? All defense attorneys defend guilty criminals, many of whom are accused of heinous crimes, and their guilt often not in question. So how do you think attorneys should handle these cases? You've provided nothing worthwhile to this discussion at this point.

Your opinion on this point is deficient, and you haven't earned your dismissive attitude.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
User Banned (2 Weeks): Advocating violence and assault as a form of retribution
If the law won't properly punish Grant someone needs to give him a taste of his own medicine.

The law and the justice system that enforces it isn't always worthy of respect, this is certainly a good example of such an instance.

Last edited:

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
He wasn't. The law just doesn't criminalize his actions, because the law is written by people caring very little about victims of rape.
I don't really see that here. Basically the law says you have to either be forced or unable to give consent.

What that guy did was immoral and wrong but how can they even word the law covering a woman of sound mind's mistaken assumption of identity? She put him inside of her without even a glance at who he was or even a spoken word to confirm his identity and it doesn't sound like she was drunk. How does the law cover that?

Maybe it should have been considered sexual assault that he just climbed in bed and started groping her.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see that here. Basically the law says you have to either be forced or unable to give consent.

What that guy did was immoral and wrong but how can they even word the law covering a woman of sound mind's mistaken assumption of identity? She put him inside of her without even a glance at who he was or even a spoken word to confirm his identity and it doesn't sound like she was drunk. How does the law cover that?

Maybe it should have been considered sexual assault that he just climbed in bed and started groping her.

I think you could draft language narrowly tailored to cover acts where the perpetrator induces the victim to believe, or knows the victim believes, they are having sex with another person. It seems the latter would have applied here. You could define it as strictly as possible to make sure you are covering actual mistaken identity, and not just that someone misrepresented some aspect of their life to try to impress someone.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This unfortunately is very common.

Rape by deception.

Boyfriend is an idiot however. Why don't you make sure your girlfriend is with you when you crash? Him being in the room could have prevented this.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
what the actual fuck. I hate our legal system so much. So many ways for these pieces of shit to get away with it

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well this is a really fucked up story. Dude should be in jail. I dunno how the boyfriend didn't beat the shit out of him.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I still can't get over the guy doing it. I mean you throw away your friendship and probably many other friendships for what? A couple seconds inside of some woman that doesn't want you. You obviously don't get good sex or even get an orgasm it's completely worthless. You'd have been better off just wanking off and going to sleep.

The story is out in the national media and the people in your inner circle who know both you and her are probably gonna disown you. What a bonehead.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Rape by deception.

Boyfriend is an idiot however. Why don't you make sure your girlfriend is with you when you crash? Him being in the room could have prevented this.
Iirc there was sexual misconduct/rape done in a room by a smash tourney player done to a girl while the boyfriend was sleeping next to here. So nah fam itd probably of still happened. Dont ask about that case because it's so fucking dumb how they never pressed charges on him.

Nov 4, 2017
This is sad and that defense attorney is an insensitive prick, why even say that? Probably doesn't even have a daughter as if he did and this same thing happened to her, he'd be baying for blood.

Rape isn't as black and white as forced intercourse or textbook consent, it's about respecting the conditions someone agrees to have sex under and whether that's pricking or removing a condom with out someones knowledge or deceiving someone into sex, it's still rape.

Nov 4, 2017
This is sad and that defense attorney is an insensitive prick, why even say that? Probably doesn't even have a daughter as if he did and this same thing happened to her, he'd be baying for blood.

Rape isn't as black and white as forced intercourse or textbook consent, it's about respecting the conditions someone agrees to have sex under and whether that's pricking or removing a condom with out someones knowledge or deceiving someone into sex, it's still rape.

Oct 29, 2017

Rape by deception.

I fail to see if this is in any way his fault. You don't or shouldn't think 'better take my girlfriend with me before my friends rape her.' Calling him an idiot is unreasonable.

Also, that lawyer can go fuck himself. It's his job to defend the accused but to make those comments? That's nothing to do with being a lawyer and is just about being an utter cunt.

Lord Hypnos

Oct 31, 2017
UK
What a horrible situation that young woman has found herself in. That defence attorney should be incredibly ashamed of that kind of conduct.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017

Rape by deception.

This is one of the sadder parts of the story. He knows his girlfriend is a heavy sleeper, but he leaves her passed out in a room with a bunch of drunk dudes so he can get some sleep in a completely different dorm? Uhh… the fuck? When my wife falls asleep on the couch watching TV, I make sure she goes gets to the bedroom.. and we're the only people in the house.

cHaotix

Oct 25, 2017
If I was her Boyfriend, Grant would have caught some smoke.

impending-para-un-bending.jpg

Dude needs to see some jail time.