• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 18, 2018
Yeah...I'm not really into turning obesity into an aceptable thing, sorry Gillete.
I agree with this. Be happy with who you are but we should not promote obesity as a thing thats okay.
Where did I say this? I just think an ad normalizing an unhealthy body shape is stupid.
Well we shouldnt be treating anorexic people like lepers either.. but I dont think they should be lauded in advertising either.
I'd hate to sound like I'm on the side of internet fat-shaming trolls, but I hate ads and "campaigns" like these. If the woman in the ad was an extreme anorexic case, people's heads would be exploding.

Theres a lot more to being obese than just eating. Its psychological and genetic.
Yall some shit for saying that an ad can't include a person because theyre a certain size. Like fat people aren't allowed to be happy, or represented. We should just shame them so they have no self esteem to even better their health.

And i like how you said "extreme" anorexic case like its ok to be anorexic as long as no one can tell.
Like foh.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It isn't though. Obesity is at epidemic levels because of societal choices and cultural issues, not because a ridiculous amount of people made "100%" choices to be fat.
Society and cultural issues being the cause of the epidemic does not mean that it is not a choice being obese.
I mean the larger you are the more food you need to eat to feel full so while you may be technically correct its not really a valuable point.
You aren't going to go into withdrawal symptoms, you'll just feel hungry while your stomach shrinks to normal sizes.
Fucking what!?

Physical addictions are downright addition and subtraction to psychological addiction's quantum physics. Almost literally, since physical addiction requires nothing more than subtracting a substance's presence for a period of time until the body acclimates to its absence. Psychological addiction never fully goes away.

I say that as a smoker who drinks more than he should and, quite frankly, ain't great at moderation in most things. I could stop the physical link to cigarettes by just not using any for awhile. It's gonna be a whole world harder to stop the desire to have one before bed or while writing, because I inadvertently linked those activities.
I smoked for years, quit cold turkey a year and half ago, haven't touched one since. I used to smoke right after meals, right before I went to bed. The 2 days of physical withdrawal were by far the hardest part.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know she is morbidly obese? Have you seen her body fat %? Do you know her current health? Or are you making a judgement based on how she looks?
This is just being obtuse and indicative of how normalized even just being overweight has become.

A big part of the problem is most people don't realize how low the bar actually is to be considered obese.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You know there's no rule on this forum that requires us to explicitly quote specific posts when we criticize the tone of a thread. There are gross comments and insinuations directed toward obese people on basically every page in this thread. I'm not going to go through and quote them all because they just make me sad.
Of course, but even one post quoted would be useful as a reference when someone is referring to how the thread, or forum, have/has a hard-on for hating fat people.

Also, just as a note - as I appreciate the context is lacking from the quote - it wasn't an attempt to provoke moderation either. I wasn't angling for intervention or punishment, or thinking there was a rule, just saying how without the post as a reference it's hard to discern to what extent the paint is being applied with that brush when it does reference as broad a category as the thread or forum. I was prompted for examples of people posting without that context so quoted a few.

Also, if someone is being an asshole and throwing insults around, a quote helps to navigate to a report if missed on initial reading. If they're upsetting you and are insulting they deserve to be flagged for review.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
If this ad was celebrating a crack addict would that be the same thing?

Is there a problem with crack addicts not being allowed to do non-crack related things without shame? It's not that hard to both believe that obesity is a problem, and to also believe that obese people should be treated like people, and allowed to do normal everyday things without constant shame.

Maybe if the ad was celebrating obese people eating unhealthy food I'd agree that it's bad. In fact, advertisements in general celebrating eating unhealthy food is bad. If you want to be mad at anyone, you should mad at food advertisements. Those should be treated like cigarette advertisements, because the unhealthy addiction comparison is still correct.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because apparently being fat is the only thing that's allowed to define a fat person as far as it pertains to their public life? Should fat people just be endlessly reminded that they are fat (as if they don't know and haven't tried various things to not be) until they are less disgusting to the general public?
Not at all. Nor should a meth addicts addiction be what defines them as a person. But neither disease should be trivialized in its seriousness.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Of course, but even one post quoted would be useful as a reference when someone is referring to how the thread, or forum, have/has a hard-on for hating fat people.

Also, just as a note - as I appreciate the context is lacking from the quote - it wasn't an attempt to provoke moderation either. I wasn't angling for intervention or punishment, or thinking there was a rule, just saying how without the post as a reference it's hard to discern to what extent the paint is being applied with that brush when it does reference as broad a category as the thread or forum. I was prompted for examples of people posting without that context so quoted a few.

Also, if someone is being an asshole and throwing insults around, a quote helps to navigate to a report if missed on initial reading.
It just made me roll my eyes so hard, that you made a vague criticism of people posting in the thread for not quoting posts they took issue with, and didn't quote any examples yourself. It was just that lack of self awareness that made me raise an eyebrow. Nothing more nothing less. I don't think you needed to quote examples any more than the posters you were talking about, for the record.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Not at all. Nor should a meth addicts addiction be what defines them as a person. But neither disease should be trivialized in its seriousness.
I'm sorry but being overweight or obese doesn't interrupt a persons ability to live a fairly normal life in the same way that a serious drug addiction does. Fat people aren't generally losing their houses and shirking their life responsibilities for their food addiction.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
It just made me roll my eyes so hard, that you made a vague criticism of people posting in the thread for not quoting posts they took issue with, and didn't quote any examples yourself. It was just that lack of self awareness that made me raise an eyebrow. Nothing more nothing less. I don't think you needed to quote examples any more than the posters you were talking about, for the record.
I'm glad you felt the need to broadcast the eye roll in favour of actually engaging with the more discussion-oriented posts, or replying to the content of my post which was in direct response to your own.

I hope your eyes are fine, and sorry for expecting more when engaging with a moderator.

You asked me directly why I would draw a reference to some posts as being about the forum/thread instead of Twitter, so I responded saying that it was because many explicitly did.:

I'm not sure why you're presuming people talking about those reactions are solely aiming those things at this thread.
Because many of them directly reference this forum, thread or members? If they're referring to the replies on twitter that's fine - again though, without referencing them or Twitter it's vague at best.

You decided to then press for examples, and when given just lament about how much you rolled your eyes over the original post.

Oct 27, 2017
If this ad was celebrating a crack addict would that be the same thing?

If the crack addict wasnt actively using in the ad? Then yeah, kinda the same, and I'd be fine with it. Obesity is a forward facing issue. She is not actively gorging or overeating in the ad.

Are you under the impression that there arent a ton of drug addicts being featured in TV, movies, and ads? Like, modeling and cocaine have been known to have some overlap, right? You just dont know when you're looking at a drug abuser in the same way you can know you're looking at someone who may have food issues.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Another thing to consider is that we don't currently know how this woman is currently living her life. She could very well be on her journey to weight loss, and it's likely a very long one. If you saw me, you'd probably be inclined to think "Jesus exercise some" or some shit, not realizing that I've lost 100 pounds and hike 4 miles, 6 days a week.

If somebody can find happiness regardless of how they look, I'm happy for them. The last thing a person needs that is working hard to change themselves is negativity and even nastiness thrown their way.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
There is nothing beautiful about obesity. Let's not teach our children that there is nothing wrong with being overweight.

I have to question how well you really, deep-down understand the constant mental, psychological, verbal and physical abuse lobbed at people who are even mildly overweight, let alone obese, and how that perpetuates an unending cycle, since in another topic you stated -

Man, I need to visit the US. As a skinny guy who has a hard time to gain weight I think I found my solution!

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry, but this comparison doesn't make much sense to me.

A lot, literally MILLIONS, of people are born into massive poverty. The kind of poverty you have no hope of ever escaping. In Africa, Asia, South America and yes, even North America and Europe. Everyday people are born into financial conditions that they have little to no chance of ever changing, regardless of what they might do.

Obesity, while something that can be triggered by myriad of medical conditions (see pituitary glands, for example), it's not something you're born into (most of the time). While some of those situations are hard to deal with, a lot of them can be turned around.

I feel these aren't really comparable issues. What's true, IMO, is that we as a society need to do a WHOLE lot more to help people in both conditions. Eliminate the stigmas present in these "issues" and find actual solutions instead of fat shaming or telling someone to just pull themselves up by their bootstraps, which actively leads us nowhere.

I'm sorry but do you not recognize that obesity and poverty are very intensely linked at least in the US? Families that have parents forced to work multiple jobs to barely stay afloat will turn towards the easy choice to feed their kids because they don't have the ability to make a meal. In many places getting access to fresh food is significantly more difficult than just buying a fast food meal.

In these instances children of those families are quite literally born into obesity. And you can say that well a child could choose to exercise, but in many cases that isn't true either. They may have to end up caring for their younger siblings because their parents are working multiple jobs and aren't able to care for them. Or they may even have to get a job as well to assist their parents.

Obesity is a problem and it needs to be dealt with I agree, but it isn't nearly as much of a choice as many people like to claim it is.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
You aren't going to go into withdrawal symptoms, you'll just feel hungry while your stomach shrinks to normal sizes.

I was morbidly obese for most of my life. 300+ pounds. I'm at around 200 now, up from the 165 I was at about a year ago.

Not overeating is a constant battle. I am never not hungry. I've tried every "filling" diet there is, tried every chemical composition to promote satiety. It's been nearly two years since hitting my minimum weight and the hunger never once abated. And it hurts knowing that not only is it easy to fall back into bad habits, the society I live in wants to make it as cheap and easy as possible for me to do so, and then shame me for having such a weak will to fall back into it.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TIL that obesity is the same as having a fucking meth addiction, and that if some rando can quit smoking in two days then nobody has an excuse to be overweight. Some of this shit is disgusting.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a PT I hate the normalizing of people that are obese. There are so many health problems that come with being that over-weight. I see so many people in my line of work that have so many conditions due to being over weight and obese.

I am still not going to body shame them, but I am not going to speak positively about being so unhealthy either. We should not being making obesity a positve thing.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Another thing to consider is that we don't currently know how this woman is currently living her life. She could very well be on her journey to weight loss, and it's likely a very long one. If you saw me, you'd probably be inclined to think "Jesus exercise some" or some shit, not realizing that I've lost 100 pounds and hike 4 miles, 6 days a week.

If somebody can find happiness regardless of how they look, I'm happy for them. The last thing a person needs that is working hard to change themselves is negativity and even nastiness thrown their way.
Her instagram is linked in the video at the top of page 7.

Vish

Oct 28, 2017
Oh hey, Gillette wants heavy set people to buy their razors. Imagine that, obese people have buying power too.

So here's and ad.

Now for the culture war bit, It seems like Gillette has find a nice niche empowering people to become the best versions of themselves.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I'm sorry but do you not recognize that obesity and poverty are very intensely linked at least in the US? Families that have parents forced to work multiple jobs to barely stay afloat will turn towards the easy choice to feed their kids because they don't have the ability to make a meal. In many places getting access to fresh food is significantly more difficult than just buying a fast food meal.

In these instances children of those families are quite literally born into obesity. And you can say that well a child could choose to exercise, but in many cases that isn't true either. They may have to end up caring for their younger siblings because their parents are working multiple jobs and aren't able to care for them. Or they may even have to get a job as well to assist their parents.

Obesity is a problem and it needs to be dealt with I agree, but it isn't nearly as much of a choice as many people like to claim it is.

Bingo. These are directly linked, and the worst thing is that if you grow up in that environment, its VERY hard to break these food habits and mentality. Poor people in the modern world don't typically starve, they are subjected to having to sustain themselves on cheap deeply unhealthy processed foods.

and multiple studies have shown now that once you have become a certain weight. The human body VERY ACTIVELY resists losing that weight and keeping it off. That higher weight becomes your bodies "new normal" and thinks anything below is starving itself.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I'm sorry but being overweight or obese doesn't interrupt a persons ability to live a fairly normal life in the same way that a serious drug addiction does. Fat people aren't generally losing their houses and shirking their life responsibilities for their food addiction.
Huh, yeah, it does. Especially later in life, when it all catches up with you. And especially if you're having to pay medical bills in the US.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the crack addict wasnt actively using in the ad? Then yeah, kinda the same, and I'd be fine with it. Obesity is a forward facing issue. She is not actively gorging or overeating in the ad.

Are you under the impression that there arent a ton of drug addicts being featured in TV, movies, and ads? Like, modeling and cocaine have been known to have some overlap, right? You just dont know when you're looking at a drug abuser in the same way you can know you're looking at someone who may have food issues.

But a crack addict, like a meth addict, is probably going to look like this

IqJcYrv.png

That's the fringes of drug abuse. Lots of people might take some coke now and then, and you can't really tell (especially in the acting industry you referenced). But you go to the fringes of drug abuse and that's when the body deteriorates. Visually and physically.

You can't tell me if Gillette used an outer fringes drug user with lines, marks, no teeth or facial deterioration there wouldn't be a mass debate/conversation?

You could liken people who take drugs but not to an extreme, to people that are overweight but not to an extreme. It's probably not affecting your health, even although you are beginning to push your body.

Being morbidly obese is not just being overweight. Taking coke a few times in your life, or now and then isn't necessarily being a coke/drug addict.

That's part of the issue with this public discourse. Reframing being overweight as being obese and/or suggesting mild drug use is being an addict. You downplay and/or possibly normalize the extremities of either condition/illness.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
That's not entirely true. If you are morbidly obese, food is controlling your whole life and can absolutely ruin your ability to lead a normal life.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a PT I hate the normalizing of people that are obese. There are so many health problems that come with being that over-weight. I see so many people in my line of work that have so many conditions due to being over weight and obese.

I am still not going to body shame them, but I am not going to speak positively about being so unhealthy either. We should not being making obesity a positve thing.

Explain how the tweet makes obesity a positive thing.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Not in exactly the same way, but being obese can absolutely interrupt and be of detriment to living a normal life in similarly critical and debilitating ways. You can't focus on the end of the pipeline for the drug user and the beginning for the obese person. Health complications arising from obesity can destroy, if not end, a person's life.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Food addiction can absolutely lead to those consequences. Some people become so obese they can no longer move unassisted.
SOME extraordinary cases yes. But the VAST majority of people considered overweight or obese live very normal lives, they just eat a little bit more every day than others. It doesn't take much, and the classification for "morbidly obese" is much lower than people think it is.

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious as to what the reaction would be if they posted this ad with a severely anorexic woman instead

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Don't be an asshole to obese people, but that said, this ad is weird. It could have just as easily been something like:

This is Bill, he's a meth addict with meth sores. But he doesn't let that stop him from showing his radiant skin.

It just feels like you're talking around a major issue to focus on something much more trivial. It's awkward and uncomfortable, and it does trivialize the disease of morbid obesity to at least some extent.

I do not agree that this makes the ad weird. Meth users with meth sores need an introduction because the majority of people have no experience with this (people who used meth in the past year in the US are 0.4% and in the past month 0.2%). But obese people are a part of and daily life for nearly everyone and need no introduction. (US overweight population is > 70%, obese is 39.8%.) Pointing out the obvious would be even stranger, IMO.

But even then, neither meth addicts nor obese people should be defined by their problems anyway. This is especially true in an ad like this, where the ad is about not being afraid and living your life no matter what you look like. The model's obesity doesn't matter beyond that. If someone with meth sores was modeling in the ad instead, it wouldn't matter why they got the sores, what matters is they're not worried about their skin holding them back.

Otherwise, every ad featuring an overweight person (i.e. 71% of the US population) would be like "This lady has depression which caused her to overeat, and now she's obese. But she enjoys playing the slots at Foxwoods Casino and Resort." Or "This guy was raised in a poor household with a poor diet, and he never managed to get the weight off. But he always starts his day off with Folgers." Or "This woman became pregnant and ended up gaining weight that was hard to drop, especially with her responsibilities as a parent. But she still shops at Target where we're having a 30% off sale."

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
TIL that obesity is the same as having a fucking meth addiction, and that if some rando can quit smoking in two days then nobody has an excuse to be overweight. Some of this shit is disgusting.
It's amazing how that works huh, and really just depends on the argument the person is trying to win. People will tell me that food addiction isn't a real thing and there is no excuse for a person to be fat and then the next argument being fat will be compared to drugs and other disorders like anorexia! Fat people can't win. Hell they can't even be happy in an ad apparently. I think some people wish they could just Thanos fat people away from existence.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
SOME extraordinary cases yes. But the VAST majority of people considered overweight or obese live very normal lives, they just eat a little bit more every day than others. It doesn't take much, and the classification for "morbidly obese" is much lower than people think it is.
Morbid obesity is literally anything over 40 BMI. That's not "much lower" than people think. That's like more than a hundred pounds excess weight on a 6'1'' male frame. Don't trivialize that shit.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm glad you seem to understand now that trying to police behavior in a thread, while not following your own example isn't helpful to the discussion. I'm happy to leave it there.

But a crack addict, like a meth addict, is probably going to look like this

IqJcYrv.png

That's the fringes of drug abuse. Lots of people might take some coke now and then, and you can't really tell. But you go to the fringes of drug abuse and that's when the body deteriorates. Visually and physically.

You can't tell me if Gillette used an outer fringes drug user with lines, marks, no teeth or facial deterioration there wouldn't be a mass debate/conversation?

You could liken people who take drugs but not to an extreme to people that are overweight but not to an extreme. It's probably not affecting your health, even although you are beginning to push your body.
What about if they used a meth addict on the road to recovery? Again, why this presumption that the woman in the advert isn't making healthy choices? What's her blood pressure? What's her lung capacity? We see her enjoying the outdoors. We don't want to encourage that?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I fail to see "shave your legs and go to the beach" as some kind of unrealistic or dangerous message.
The fact that an obese person has the audacity to make themselves happy is dangerous. We cannot allow those people a second of reprieve. /s

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
Morbid obesity is literally anything over 40 BMI. That's not "much lower" than people think. That's like more than a hundred pounds excess weight on a 6'1'' male frame. Don't trivialize that shit.
We have someone in this thread claiming that we don't know that the woman is morbidly obese.

Many people think obesity starts where the morbidly obese line is.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I think it's awesome to promote the mentality but the physical aspects of being overweight are not to be ignored.

That's my opinion as far as a discussion goes and I don't think this advertisement is hurting anybody. I think the overwhelming majority of advertisement does tend to lean on healthier looking people so I see nothing wrong with this minority of advertising the other end of the spectrum.

I think it's obvious that everyone's health and well-being is ideal and something that we all want and should be pushed but I can see why they chose to advertise this way. As for the woman in the advertisement, I'm happy that she is comfortable enough in her skin to shoot for the advertisement.

Deleted member 19003

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh, this ad makes me side eye Gillette more than anything. They don't care about her or your body image, it's just a marketing trick to get people to talk about the brand. They knew this would create both negative and positive buzz around the brand and that's what they wanted. I know one thing for sure though, they wont be putting a medically anorexic woman on any of their other ads. Why? Because Gillette knows featuring morbidly obese woman in advertising is a hot topic at the moment and they banked on it.

As for the model, people need to stop harassing her. Some of the comments on Twitter and a few here were really dehumanizing. It's not in good faith at all to pretend your insults are actually about helping her.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm glad you seem to understand now that trying to police behavior in a thread, while not following your own example isn't helpful to the discussion. I'm happy to leave it there.
What? Suggesting it would be useful if people would quote posts when painting the forum or thread with a single brush is somehow policing behaviour?

Also none of that has any bearing on my post, which you've once again ignored in favour of taking yet another jab.

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"Venus is committed to representing beautiful women of all shapes, sizes, and skin types because ALL types of beautiful skin deserve to be shown. We love Anna because she lives out loud and loves her skin no matter how the "rules" say she should display it "

The very tweet explains it.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Venus is committed to representing beautiful women of all shapes, sizes, and skin types because ALL types of beautiful skin deserve to be shown. We love Anna because she lives out loud and loves her skin no matter how the "rules" say she should display it "

The very tweet explains it.

No it doesn't. Explain how that suggests obesity is good.

MeatSim1

Banned
Aug 15, 2018
User Banned (1 week): Body shaming, ignoring the mod post
Can morbids even reach their legs to shave?