• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
I had an opportunity a few years ago to interview a Sony licensing executive and he told me at the time that this game was what essentially set the stage for the revival of the Ghostbusters brand. The 2016 movie, the planned new animated TV show (which appears in limbo now), and their other brand efforts were all a result of the Ghostbusters video game exceeding expectations and proving there was still an audience for it.

He then told me that they were working on another Ghostbusters video game with Activision, which turned out to be the awful 2016 game. Felt bad for him once it got revealed because I think his own expectations were higher.

This is a long-winded way of saying that my guess is this remaster is another trial run to gauge brand interest and if it does well you can expect another Ghostbusters revival.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Loved this game and would kill for an Insomniac developed GB game. They even included a GB Easter egg in Spider-Man.

ReadyorNot

Jan 6, 2018
I have owned the Wii version (loved it) for years. Time to pick up another version.

Last edited:

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad they didnt update the Wii version.
Aesthetically it has aged better. But I will pick it up on Switch if port is good.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright........

Game was nothing to write home about.

One of the PS3 trophies were glitched which was hilarious. Wonder if that will get fixed lol.

Nov 18, 2017
This is a long-winded way of saying that my guess is this remaster is another trial run to gauge brand interest and if it does well you can expect another Ghostbusters revival.

I speculated the reason they took the 2016 game off the store (aside from the quality) was to make room for this remaster, so pleased it's happening.

There is a soft reboot / Ghostbusters 3 movie coming out in July 2020, so I guess this is leading into that.

I want them to bring back J. Michael Straczynski's Real Ghostbusters to Netflix or as a videogame, because it was better than the films and they don't run into likeness or canon issues.

wombleac

Nov 8, 2017
That's awesome news. Anyone who hasn't played this should especially if you grew up with the first couple movies; it's basically the 3rd movie installment we never got. So much nostalgia and amazing voice acting from original actors.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I thought it was mediocre but I'm very happy it's getting remastered. A game bringing back the original cast one last time and basically being Ghostbusters 3 should not be forgotten about.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Awesome, will definitely double dip for this especially if the multiplayer component returns. Seriously, the multiplayer was great.

Robert81

Nov 2, 2017
No way, 3 weeks ago I booted up this game on my Xbox x. I went straight to multiplayer thinking it's shut down. I was wrong I found a game with 3 other players. Even unlocked an achievement. Day 1 buy

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Yeah decent is the perfect description. It's ok gameplay wise but the story elevates it (minus the player character).
Exactly. It's fun, some great setpieces, but overall nothing great gameplay wise... but what makes it special is the (canon?) plot and getting the original actors to play their roles after two decades.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
I had an opportunity a few years ago to interview a Sony licensing executive and he told me at the time that this game was what essentially set the stage for the revival of the Ghostbusters brand. The 2016 movie, the planned new animated TV show (which appears in limbo now), and their other brand efforts were all a result of the Ghostbusters video game exceeding expectations and proving there was still an audience for it.

He then told me that they were working on another Ghostbusters video game with Activision, which turned out to be the awful 2016 game. Felt bad for him once it got revealed because I think his own expectations were higher.

A new movie is already in the works.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
I've always wanted to play this since I was a huge Ghostbusters fan as a kid, but the steam version has just been sitting on my back burner for years. I guess I might as well get the remake now lol.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, been interested in this game a long time. Of course it's Epic Store exclusive for now, but will check out when it lands elsewhere.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I can't remember, did this game have online co-op when it released, or was it solo only with the MP hoard mode?

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
A new movie is already in the works.
I'm aware. Sony's original plan for the Ghostbusters IP in the mid-2010s was much larger than just movies. It was going to be like the late-'80s again and Ghostbusters was going to be everywhere. Then the 2016 film released poorly and everything else was scrapped or delayed.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Never finished it, purchased the ps3 version for dirt cheap years ago. Hope they improve more than just the resolution. Framerate was hurting

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
I feel like this might have been better off on the next generation of consoles with some real time raytraced lighting but I'm happy to finally play it. I love the films but I was too obsessed with Street Fighter to play anything else when it came out.

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
Cheers! So they could license the IP from the movie wing basically?

I always found it weird that Sony Pictures and SIE didn't work more closely together when it comes to developing a shared universe across film and video games.. I'm not exactly advocating for exclusives or anything, but I think Insomniac or Sucker Punch could do a job with the Ghostbusters IP if given a chance.
Well apparently the initiative from the new ceo is for all three divisions(music, movie/tv and games) to work more closely together so you might see that happening going forward. We already see Playstation productions planning movies with Sony pictures to distribute.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
PSP versions don't get nearly as much acclaim, so there's a good chance people who liked the Wii version liked it
No, the Wii version was abhorrent.
I think most people preferred the 360/PS3/PC game, but the Wii version was commendable for having split screen co-op for the campaign and a unique look to it.
Hm, odd. Maybe it was just the uniqueness that people liked and the coop then. I could have sworn I remembered people being just sorta "meh" about the ps3/360 version and the Wii one actually being more unique and entertaining.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even though I played it on PC back in the day, I'm definitely getting this. It's an awesome game.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked it as a fan, but not a title that could really benefit from a remaster in my hopnion... I say only for fan of the original series.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
Vanilla-tier upgrades I'm anticipating:
  • 4K resolution on PS4 Pro/Xbox One X
  • PC-quality textures on console
  • Frame rate improvements on consoles
  • Reduced loading times on consoles
$30-40.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
My mind could be confused, but I remember the Wii version being better than the PS360 versions.

Well, depending of the deal, I could pick it.
yeah that was what I was remembering. The PS360 versions were sorta generic 3rd person shooter with generic gameplay, where the wii version had a cool artstyle, better gameplay, and coop.

Full disclosure: I didn't play either version, just remembering the threads on the old site