• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Anakin does have a point. The Jedi in the prequels (the council specifically) were ignorant, corrupt, and lost their way by becoming too political/ leading in the military.
Anakin's faith in them was lost when he saw no difference between them and Sidious. This is one reason why I loved ROTS.
ut5F3qv.jpg

Ozd0lSe.jpg

4bo5j4L.jpg

RJCOdFy.gif

Hell even at the beginning of TPM. The Senate sent two Jedi KNIGHTS to settle a dispute over a blockade. These knights are notorious as warriors. This provoked the Trade Federation. The Senate should've used actual negotiators instead of KNIGHTS trained as warriors who're known to even control minds.

fcONnXD.jpg

yQNnKQI.png

Maybe not evil, but the Jedi Council were certainly ignorant/ too political and even Qui Gon knew it by not joining the council.

Also to all of the both sides people in here:

The republic was freaking corrupt as heck and there were planets, who genuinely believed in the Separatists.

Last edited:

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
It's still impressive that in a trilogy whose only purpose was to show why Anakin became Vader Lucas managed to still make it feel rushed and totally unearned
Anakin and Obi-Wan are still having happy, fun times an hour into the third movie in the trilogy.

That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn't, doesn't count.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I just had a problem with Anakin instantly going from wanting to save his wife to nonchalantly murdering children.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Anakin and Obi-Wan are still having happy, fun times an hour into the third movie in the trilogy.

That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn't, doesn't count.

It's fucking madness.

1 and 2 are utterly pointless almost in terms of Anakin

You could just watch Episode III and you'd basically get the Anaktin descent and not be lost

Oct 31, 2017
And another thing about the dialogue/lines being bad and chock full of simple vocabulary, such as "I hate sand!" and "I hate you!". Language regression and simple articulation is often one of the key indicators of a culture/society in decay and on the path towards authoritarianism.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Don't really see how you can say they are both "evil" when one side is murdering younglings...

I mean there's really no way to do a "not truly evil, morally grey" take on that, it felt so out of place and was just so damn terrible.

Star Wars itself has fairly clear good and evil sides, it's never really did a "Maybe these guys are good or maybe they are bad, it's different depending on your point of view." It's usually been a clear cut "Evil side" vs "Good side" with a character themselves that might change or get brought back a bit to the other side (in the case of Vader in TESB).

I just had a problem with Anakin instantly going from wanting to save his wife to nonchalantly murdering children.

It's not like it was first time.

He murdered children as a Jedi too.

r35bu8cpe3i01.png

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
oh wow so people will just have the most literal and shallow possible interpretation of all media until the creator "confirms" that subtext is "canon"?

this was obvious, but folks gotta meme everything up until they forget how to view it in context.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anakin does have a point. The Jedi in the prequels (the council specifically) were ignorant, corrupt, and lost their way by becoming too political/ leading in the military.
Anakin's faith in them was lost when he saw no difference between them and Sidious. This is one reason why I loved ROTS.
ut5F3qv.jpg

Ozd0lSe.jpg

4bo5j4L.jpg

RJCOdFy.gif

Hell even at the beginning of TPM. The Senate sent two Jedi KNIGHTS to settle a dispute over a blockade. These knights are notorious as warriors. This provoked the Trade Federation. The Senate should've used actual negotiators instead of KNIGHTS trained as warriors who're known to even control minds.

fcONnXD.jpg

yQNnKQI.png

Maybe not evil, but the Jedi Council were certainly ignorant/ too political and even Qui Gon knew it by not joining the council.

The republic was freaking corrupt as heck and there were planets, who genuinely believed in the Separatists.

Yup, it's like I always said. George had some fantastic ideas for the prequels, which were all let down by the execution.

I know a condition of the buyout was that they don't remake the prequels, but I do feel that someone could take the majority of ideas in those movies and remake them into something truly fantastic.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017

like 60% of what Clone Wars does is going back to fix the nonsense from the prequel movies

at the time "heroes on both sides" was part of the opening crawl, the Separatists were literally just the Evil Council of Villains, the bug people who were helping to build the death star, and killer robots

I feel like people give the prequel movies extra credit now for what got retroactively fixed in Clone Wars

as part of the movie trilogy, "heroes on both sides" was really dumb, because it had nothing to do with anything we saw before or after it showed up

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, murdering a bunch of children really is the same as "sitting in a room, being boring"
If the one of the heads of the order is willing to say someone should be killed just as the sith do, that casts some doubt on the "code" they hold so true. Also the jedi literally became generals and soldiers in an army. I thought they were "keeper's of the peace not soldiers." The Jedi council was so hypocritical.
7imoxLd.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
If the one of the heads of the order is willing to say someone should be killed just as the sith do, that casts some doubt on the "code" they hold so true. Also the jedi literally became generals and soldiers in an army. I thought they were "keeper's of the peace not soldiers." The Jedi council was so hypocritical.
I'd take a bunch of hypocrites over literal child murderes.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah....I don't think Anakin cared about democracy at that point.

x98767f74gpy.jpg

Literally seconds before to Padme: "Let's overthrow the Chancellor!"

The cartoons made Dooku... cartoonishly evil in multiple episodes. I think in the one with the Droids vs Yoda episode Dooku tries to force a world to join the Separatists at gun points. And he has countless scooby-doo plots to inflict misery and mass-murder on random populations just because. One episode showing all the synonyms the writers found for the Coruscant setting doesn't erase that.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
like 60% of what Clone Wars does is going back to fix the nonsense from the prequel movies

at the time "heroes on both sides" was part of the opening crawl, the Separatists were literally just the Evil Council of Villains, the bug people who were helping to build the death star, and killer robots

I feel like people give the prequel movies extra credit now for what got retroactively fixed in Clone Wars

as part of the movie trilogy, "heroes on both sides" was really dumb, because it had nothing to do with anything we saw before or after it showed up
This is a problem with the prequels I do feel. I always felt before ROTS there should've been a live action Clone War movie.

Think about it POV's differ. General Grievous was seen as a hero, to Separatists. So was Dooku to the other side. How often did we see the separatist side other than Sidious' manipulations? Our POV in the films is based on main characters who're from a specific side.

I'd take a bunch of hypocrites over literal child murderes.
The Jedi council caused all of this. They molded Anakin but forced him to be fearful of his double life because of the CODE. But in the end it turns out that the top Jedi (like Windu) can just forget about the code because of the "Greater Good." Tell me how many of those Jedi would allow Anakin to love if they found out? None, he'd be banished and expelled from the Jedi order. Sounds absolute to me and led him down this path. The council is who I blame for all of this.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Literally seconds before to Padme: "Let's overthrow the Chancellor!"

The cartoons made Dooku... cartoonishly evil in multiple episodes. I think in the one with the Droids vs Yoda episode Dooku tries to force a world to join the Separatists at gun points. And he has countless scooby-doo plots to inflict misery and mass-murder on random populations just because. One episode showing all the synonyms the writers found for the Coruscant setting doesn't erase that.
But does that also mean that there weren't systems genuinely in support of the separatists?

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, the ST is honoring this tradition with the last 2 films seemingly not building up to a confrontation with Palpatine at all.
The sequel trilogy has the (weak) defence that it was never about a clear thing, JJ made something up, then Rian Johnson made something up, and now JJ is going back to his idea of just copying the respective movies from the original trilogy (now Return of the Jedi, instead of New Hope, presumably).
George Lucas, on the other hand, had complete freedom in planning the three movies to be what he wanted them to. No corporate meddling, no one saying no to his ideas. All Lucas. .

Oct 25, 2017
The Jedi council caused all of this. They molded Anakin but forced him to be fearful of his double life because of the CODE. But in the end it turns out that the top Jedi (like Windu) can just forget about the code because of the "Greater Good." Tell me how many of those Jedi would allow Anakin to love if they found out? None, he'd be banished and expelled from the Jedi order. Sounds absolute to me and led him down this path. The council is who I blame for all of this.
Oh no, he'd be expelled from the order.
That's clearly equal to killing a bunch of children who had nothing to do with any of this.

I'm sorry but the whole "Jedi and Sith are both bad" thing was explored well in games like Kotor 2 but not at all in the films no matter how hard Lucas is trying to retroactively insert it. Here is everything the Jedi did wrong:
-Had a bad code
-Didn't always follow that code
-Were boring and stupid

And here is what the Sith did
-Murdered children
-Enslaved the galaxy
-Blew up a planet, killing billions

Yeah, those sound comparable to me.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I never thought this was a line that needed to be explained, it seemed pretty obvious he was at odds with the Jedi council from the start and the further into Palpatine's circle he went, the more he viewed the people he was butting heads with negatively. It's one of the less nonsensical lines of dialogue from that trilogy.

Also these movies are hammy, silly messes. They're retroactively comedies. If the line made no sense, I'm not sure I'd want an answer.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Oh no, he'd be expelled from the order.
That's clearly equal to killing a bunch of children who had nothing to do with any of this.

I'm sorry but the whole "Jedi and Sith are both bad" thing was explored well in games like Kotor 2 but not at all in the films no matter how hard Lucas is trying to retroactively insert it. Here is everything the Jedi did wrong:
-Had a bad code
-Didn't always follow that code
-Were boring and stupid

And here is what the Sith did
-Murdered children
-Enslaved the galaxy
-Blew up a planet, killing billions

Yeah, those sound comparable to me.
Fair point, Lucas didn't show this well enough in the films at all. Corruption though is definitely on their list.

Also wouldn't we say that the Jedi helped the empire enslave the galaxy since they were generals in the Grand Army of the Republic/ Empire? They definitely helped the Empire grow territorially and take over planets, just they didn't know they were part of the plan. I guess that blood is on their hands too. Some of those planets didn't want to be part of the empire but since the Jedi helped the Republic take them over well they have no choice.

Oct 28, 2017
This is cringey.

I need to tag that FB group "I'm begging you, please read any other book"

There's no reason to trust that they'd have done such a thing. They also literally don't try any other solution.

Anakin drops his "someone should make them" line and we're supposed to act like he's crossing some line, but that's literally what the Jedi do.

"Those planets want to leave the Republic. Let's make ourselves the heads of the military and kill them for it." That's literally what the Jedi do. Yoda is the only one that even has the foresight to notice that this is a bad thing at the end of AotC (though he doesn't ultimately do anything to prevent it).
Who were the Trade Federation fighting on behalf of other than elite corporate interests? They weren't fighting out of principle or for the rule of the people

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Who were the Trade Federation fighting on behalf of other than elite corporate interests? They weren't fighting out of principle or for the rule of the people
The Trade Federation is the only Separatist entity that doesn't represent a planet. The rest do. Why should they be forced at gunpoint to stay in the Republic?

Oct 28, 2017
The Trade Federation is the only Separatist entity that doesn't represent a planet. The rest do. Why should they be forced at gunpoint to stay in the Republic?
The Trade Federation has the army that the Galactic Republic is fighting. An army that mainly is backed by large corporations with a vested interested in perpetuating war. They don't represent the will of the people who .. separated from the Republic... do they? I'm not sure I follow what you mean that they don't represent a planet? Were there separatist planet factions also fighting against the Republic? If there were, I didn't see them in the movie.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
The Trade Federation has the army that the Galactic Republic is fighting. An army that mainly is backed by large corporations with a vested interested in perpetuating war. They don't represent the will of the people who .. separated from the Republic... do they? I'm not sure I follow what you mean that they don't represent a planet? Were there separatist planet factions also fighting against the Republic? If there were, I didn't see them in the movie.

No, the Trade Federation is just one entity that formed the Confederacy of Independent Systems. Most of them were planets. Not every planet wanted to stay in the Republic.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
The fact that people can recall and quote it says, to me, that it is not a bad line. I used to be a Prequel hater, but I really do think the hammy stilted delivery of these films are deliberate. That they were intentionally made to generate passionate, reactionary responses from Original Trilogy fans. That they are meta-commentary on a post-Star Wars American culture and were made to intentionally spite the "passionate" fanbase.

Star Wars (and its ilk [large scale, identity defining pop culture multimedia properties]) is "The Phantom Menace" as hard to perceive force(s) of cultural danger and decay. Star Wars' influence on and replication within the mass culture is the "Attack of the Clones" (mass media consumerist properties that are suitable for all ages and consume people's lives on many levels, which are ultimately trivial distractions). The effects of this mass replication and large-scale, consuming fandoms allows for the "Revenge of the Sith" (democratic decay, open-faced corruption, with little in the way of effectual resistance and means of prevention due to a culture-at-large that is mostly apathetic and tuned out).

I highly doubt George .. Fucking .. Lucas.. had your fanfic in mind when farting out the prequels in the two weeks. Honestly man, he is an even more straight filmmaker that Abrams. Look at his output, then look at that ridiculous theory here.