• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The look stems from the film being shot at extremely high frame rate, stereoscopic. There was a great episode of Blank Check where J.D. Amato breaks down exactly what's so technically and technologically demanding of shooting in this format. It requires a new sort of film grammar.

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
That CGI'd Will Smith at the beginning of the trailer looked awful. Hopefully it looks less like plasticine in the final movie.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This shot is oh boy.

279IZFV.png
Okay

This looks bad

Oct 25, 2017
The look stems from the film being shot at extremely high frame rate, stereoscopic. There was a great episode of Blank Check where J.D. Amato breaks down exactly what's so technically and technologically demanding of shooting in this format. It requires a new sort of film grammar.
Great episode. Nice to see a fellow blankie in the wild.

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure how much money they spent on this, but it has bomb written all over it. "You made a person from a person!" No shit, dummy.

Oct 27, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland
Was gonna mention this as well. He explains really well why this and other HFR films are lit so weirdly and overbearingly as well, like in that shot posted above. Since the shutter speed of the camera has to be so short, you have to massively over-light each set compared to how you would usually shooting at 24fps to capture the same amount of light in the camera, hence you lose so much definition and it ends up looking quite flat and hyper-real even at 24fps, especially in exterior shots in daylight.

https://soundcloud.com/griffin-and-david-present/billy-lynns-long-halftime-walk-with-jd-amato

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great episode. Nice to see a fellow blankie in the wild.

Was gonna mention this as well. He explains really well why this and other HFR films are lit so weirdly and overbearingly as well, like in that shot posted above. Since the shutter speed of the camera has to be so short, you have to massively over-light each set compared to how you would usually shooting at 24fps to capture the same amount of light in the camera, hence you lose so much definition and it ends up looking quite flat and hyper-real even at 24fps, especially in exterior shots in daylight.

https://soundcloud.com/griffin-and-david-present/billy-lynns-long-halftime-walk-with-jd-amato

Blank it.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This movie looks like it's from 2002.

Really not impressed so far. Acting seems stiff. Pretty much nothing about this looked good.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm always IN for Ang Lee.

And I will root the day Will Smith will resurrect his career again, dude has made some awful choices, for a long stretch.
But the man can act. That scene in FPOBA where his father leaves him. Enough said.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
doesn't look very good as far as action movies goes. just makes me think of the 6th day, which is obviously not peak arnie.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
'Ey everybody I'm the Gemini Man
Assassin for hire with the master plan
Bad guys are angry, wanna take me out
Hired a new kid with a familiar pout

Turns out it's me, what a twist!
Watch the rest of the movie to get the gist
It's the old school 'gainst the new, who will win?
The victor is the Fresh Prince with a grin.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The ''you made a person...out of another person'' line isn't THAT bad considering it comes from the clone.
I think it was intentional and something naive a clone would say. But then again, what do I know.

I don't think it looks as bad as some are making it out to be. Some interesting aspects going on there. Hope it's good.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's remarkable how good the facial CGI looks but how bad the motorbike crashing CGI looks.

This is Solid Snake and Big Boss, right?

Jul 18, 2018
Will Smith just has that charm that will suck me into watching any of his movies regardless of how stupid or ridiculous they might be.
Can't wait.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
I remember when it was rumoured to have Harrison Ford on the role, and the special effects by DIsney's own studio before they got ILM. Wish it was filmed back then, since the de-aging thing is no longer the novelty thanks to Marvel films. In any case, will try to find a theater that has it on high frame rate, I have never seen a movie shot like that.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
This looks like it could've come out in the 90's. Not a fan.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'Ey everybody I'm the Gemini Man
Assassin for hire with the master plan
Bad guys are angry, wanna take me out
Hired a new kid with a familiar pout

Turns out it's me, what a twist!
Watch the rest of the movie to get the gist
It's the old school 'gainst the new, who will win?
The victor is the Fresh Prince with a grin.
This is good stuff.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Saw the trailer and thought it looked absolutely terrible. I know it's early trailer footage but that's uncanny valley material for sure. Also, the motorcycle explosion scene is so bad ugh.

On a side note I have a really hard time with CGI lately.. I feel like in every big setpiece-movie it looks cheaper and cheaper. I really miss practical effects :(

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Some of the de-aging shots looks better than others. Hopefully the rough edges will be smoothed out in the final film.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The CGI young Will Smith was TERRIBLE in the beginning of the trailer, but it looked really good for the rest of it.

Interesting enough.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
That Forever Young cover should be illegal.

The trailer looks not so special, but Ang Lee makes me kinda hopeful that the trailer just makes this looks worse than it actually is.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brah for a good portion of this trailer I was like "So did they film this when he was still doing Fresh Prince and just now releasing it or....OHHHHHH"

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The sad music playing while there's a guy on a bike shooting at another guy on a bike who is riding on the top of a freaking wall had me laugh.

The movie itself could be decent but I feel like Ang Lee might be a bit wasted on this.

I do like that Young Will actually sounds much younger