• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
resident_evil_5_image17.jpg

On an Xbox 360. In 2008. Just fucking unreal.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
MGS V looks and plays amazing and feels magical to me.

Also Resident Evil Remake on the Gamecube

JumiElazul

Apr 4, 2020
I second The Witcher 2 and Resident Evil Remake for Gamecube!

I couldn't believe my freakin' eyes when playing either of them at the time they released. They both still hold up so well even today.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
BOTW
The fact that they use many modern tech and it runs on a fucking wii u

Magic

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
All of them. I've worked in games for almost two decades now, and it still amazes me how they come together.
This. Yall have no idea how insane these things are, always amazes me that these things come together. It's why I laugh when people state, "Why didnt they see this before!?" it's amazing we see anything, it all comes together so fast at the end.

But still, Rockstar blows my brain every time they release a game. I still have no idea GTAV is what it is on LAST-LAST-GEN consoles...

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
GTAV running on an Xbox 360 is just unreal to me, as was RDR2 running on base PS4's and XBOX's

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Shenmue on Dreamcast blew my mind like nothing before or since. How was Yu Suzuki not a magician?

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably VR games?

Like the first time experience stepping into The Lab and playing Xortex was messing my mind up and I thought it wouldn't be topped until I play Echo Arena and they just went over that too.

shadowman16

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue 2 on the Dreamcast - the scope and size of the game is that much larger than the original game - the opening Hong Kong area alone is probably a good 4x the size of the original game (if not more), streets are far more bustling with unique NPCs, you can go into almost every place, each with their own details, and more NPCs. Shit tons of music, unique dialogue, optional hidden stuff (fights, duck racing) and not to mention two more further large cities/areas to explore after that. All on the Dreamcast. It still blows my mind to this day.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
GTAV on PS3/360 is nuts. I was playing it recently and the world is so far ahead of open world games today that it's crazy to think it is from two generations ago.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
The transition from 2D Metroid to Metroid Prime has to be magic

ninja gaiden
donkey kong country
mario 64
ff9
soul calibur
resident evil remake
okami
ratchet tools of destruction
god of war 3
guilty gear xrd -sign-

all of these felt unbelievable at first glance at the time

Isn't FF9 considered to be one of the worst performing games on the PS1's library? I specifically remember the director having to address this issue by saying that the game ran slowly due how ambitious it was

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Prime, it's crazy how much better it looks than most other games of that time, while also running at 60FPS, absolutely insane.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't FF9 considered to be one of the worst performing games on the PS1's library? I specifically remember the director having to address this issue by saying that the game ran slowly due how ambitious it was
my 14 year old self didn't care, it was pretty, had fun music, and the cutscenes made me go GOD DAMN.

Back then as kids in that era the framerate stuff wasnt typically as nagged on if it was oot would have tanked

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
This was mine.

How good that game looks at the scale and scope is inexplicable. It is an absolute wonder. It does not feel like it should be possible. I still can't believe that it was. I played on a pro so I can't speak to what performance was like on the base PS4, but that game left absolutely nothing to be desired. Magic had to be involved.

Clicked this thread to essentially say this, including playing it on a Pro. It's still the most impressed I've been by a video game, including the bonkers visuals and animations found in The Last of Us 2. Devs got a ton out of last gen consoles in the end.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
TLOU2 on my pro felt more ''next gen'' than anything I've played on my PS5, not just graphics either.

PotionBleue

Nov 1, 2017
Your thread title is not well thought out because people can understand it in two majorly different ways.

On a technical level I'd add Xenoblade Chronicles (Nintendo Wii).

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
GTAV had so many mindblowing moments that got me thinking "how the hell it's implemented??"

Witcher 3 is similar one, just unbelievable how CDPR went from making mostly linear Witcher 2 to one of the best looking, huge open world no-loading game with seamless cities and even house interiors.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Pokemon Gold/Silver's whole Kanto section still blows my mind. I think as a kid I always assumed they used all the space in the cart for each game so the idea they could add the whole first game in there too was baffling.

RE:Revelations on the 3DS. Easily one of the most graphically-impressive games there, imo.

I still have a hard time accepting it was real and looked like that and I played the crap out of it.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
nba-2k20-spotlight-series-i-super-packs-magic-johnson-diamond-reward-card.jpeg

But in actuality, this game:
My favorite game of all time.

EverQuest_Online_Adventures_Coverart.png

One day I'll make a nice thread about this gem of a game.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
hero

A year later, I still can't believe that not only did one of my favorite series as a child finally get a new entry, it came out firing on all cylinders and laying waste to every pretender to its throne.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
RDR2 on base last-gen consoles
The Last of Us games for sure. How they go so beautiful on both systems is a magical achievement.
These are both examples of how pouring enormous effort into crafting meticulous details into the game world can allow games to look better than they have any right to given the hardware. Both games have tons and tons of bespoke assets and the payoff is huge. The downside of course is that it takes an extraordinary amount of work and money to make a game like that

I think we have definitely reached a point where the limiting factor in how realistic games can look isn't a hardware factor, but rather a time and budget factor

Steakman

Jan 25, 2021
Shenmue 2 on the Dreamcast - the scope and size of the game is that much larger than the original game - the opening Hong Kong area alone is probably a good 4x the size of the original game (if not more), streets are far more bustling with unique NPCs, you can go into almost every place, each with their own details, and more NPCs. Shit tons of music, unique dialogue, optional hidden stuff (fights, duck racing) and not to mention two more further large cities/areas to explore after that. All on the Dreamcast. It still blows my mind to this day.
100% this. How they got that running on a Dreamcast is beyond me.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Resident Evil 2 on the N64.
They took both discs with all the cinematic cutscenes, which were over a gig when you combine everything together and made it run on a 64MB cartridge.

IonMagus

Banned
Feb 18, 2021
Golden Sun. Couldnt believe what I was playing when it came out on GBA, everything looked unreal

lucha-golden-sun.png

34-GS0651.png

2005-09-26-16-goldensun5.jpg

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Playing Super Mario 64 in the summer of 1996. Legit felt like a magical game from a world beyond.

This. As a kid I never saw limitations or pixels. As a kid I didn't know the recipes for how games were made. This and many other N64 games truly felt magical to me. Exploring the world of Ocarina of Time for the first time felt like a real adventure to me. I really miss that feel today though BOTW brought a little bit of that magic back for me. Looking forward to the sequel.

Chippewa Barr