• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I beat Mirror's Edge Catalyst last night, for what it's worth I had a good time with it. The movement mechanics are great and if you just ignore all but the main missions it's an 8 hour game much like the first

The open word isn't great, but again, if you just B-line the missions it's just more time for the fun traversal. The combat does suck though but you're only forced to fight 3 or 4 times in the game. The main missions are great though, similar to the levels in the first game and the last mission is awesome

The story however, while admittedly undercooked, ends on a sequel tease "We've not won the war, but we've started something here, and this is just the beginning" which is obviously a sequel tease that will never happen now as the game didn't review (or, I assume, sell) well

Maybe we'll see a reboot at some point in the future, but even that seems really unlikely, and even if that happens it certainly won't be a direct continuation of the story from Catalyst

Another example I can think of is The Order 1886, which again ends on a sequel tease that is never going to come

Can you think of any other examples of games that do this? That either end on a sequel tease or cliff-hanger that will now probably never come for whatever reason

I played both my examples many years after the games came out, so I find it almost kind of sad seeing them end this way, as the developers (or publishers) clearly hoped these games would become popular IPs, or at least popular enough to get a follow up

So, what are other examples of this, and why don't you think these games will get a sequel?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue 3, even though I'm in the minority here who would like a 4th game. I think if it was in development, it would have been made in 3's established engine, and confirmed by now to reassure the fans, announced at the end of the anime or whatever.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Too Human, maybe? Advent Rising, during the trilogy era, just finished. Call of Cthulhu DCotE ended in a sort of sequel-baity cinematic but more of an open end I guess?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGSV, weirdly enough.

You can piece out what happens in between, but definitely ends with a big cliffhanger that gets "resolved" by just skipping time and forgetting about it.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Forgive me if im wrong but doesnt the first mirrors edge ALSO ends on a sequel tease and then catalyst was a reboot unconnected to the first.

Snozz

Dec 6, 2020
FF Type-0 did that weird CGI clip of a main character in a totally different setting as a samurai or something. Never went anywhere and probably for the best.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I presume we're never going to see the cliffhanger ending of BG&E resolved.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Freedom Wars on Vita.

Ends on a crazy cut scene pretty much outlining that the game is act 1 of a bigger story.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
One I can remember is Advent Rising which leaves a lot of unresolved stuff. I actually played it so long ago that I don't remember WHAT the plot of the game was by this point and what was unresolved, I just remember that it had like a HUGE set-up for something and then the sequel never arrived. EDIT: Lol, somebody just posted about Advent Rising right before me :D

Prince of Persia 2008. Including (and even more so) the DLC Epilogue.

I would say that Prince of Persia 2008 has an open ending, but not necessarily a sequel tease (unlike the epilogue which is a clear hook). So it works fully stand-alone.

Makes it easier to bear lack of a sequel.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
MGSV, weirdly enough.

You can piece out what happens in between, but definitely ends with a big cliffhanger that gets "resolved" by just skipping time and forgetting about it.
It gets resolved on the making off documentary where it shows the cutscenes from the incomplete kingdom of the flies levels.

STGHMAAV

Oct 26, 2017
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II, the only thing it was missing was the logo of the next game.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
The first one that always comes to mind for me is the Snake Rattle 'n' Roll sequel "Snakes In Space" teased in the credits.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm trying to decide if Hotline Miami 2 counts, or if that was a joke from the devs lol

raddyo

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
At the time, Darksiders -- I would expect a sequel where you could control/interact with the other horsemen, but did they really expect three new installments? That was bold.

But I'm still waiting for the whole "not alone" part to come true

Varjet

Oct 27, 2017
Viewtiful Joe 2. Technically, Viewtiful Joe 1 too. And Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
Days Gone. Ended on a cliffhanger and they pitched a sequel but that was rejected and the director's left.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dante's Inferno. RIP Visceral.

Medal of Honor: Rising Sun. Sequel didn't happen after it got mid reviews.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dead Space 3 might be another one, it closes some threads, yet opens a big one in the end (or was it DLC? I don't recall)

I suppose the remake will open that door once again.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
Square Enix are the masters of this.

Final Fantasy Type -1
Birth By Sleep 2
I guess we did finally get TWEWY 2.

IsaacVarion

Apr 4, 2018
The entire Xenoblade Chronicles X is basically a prologue of a larger story that won't never be finished or even touched again.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Xenoblade X felt like the first chapter of a larger story. It almost feels like an MMO's base story and it's still waiting for the expansions and patch content.
Prince of Persia 2008. Including (and even more so) the DLC Epilogue.
Quoting myself from a different thread where most people didn't know this was a thing.

It did happen, though. Just not a fully fledged sequel.
51EZ+dkSH2L.jpg
Not like the story went anywhere interesting anyway. For all intents and purposes it's still hanging from that cliff. Though personally I think the original PoP 2008 ending works well as an ending without needing a sequel.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
At the time, Darksiders -- I would expect a sequel where you could control/interact with the other horsemen, but did they really expect three new installments? That was bold.

But I'm still waiting for the whole "not alone" part to come true

JUST TWO MORE GAMES NEEDED. One with Strife and then FINALLY an Avengers-style Darksiders game with all four characters!

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Sly Cooper 4 Thieves in Time.

Now why would you end the game in cliffhanger without having a sequel greenlit?

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
I think the ending of the first Darksiders counts for this. We obviously got sequels, but they all take place before the first game, and focus on the other three Horsemen. It still remains to be seen if the promise of Darksiders' ending of playing with all four Horsemen will ever come to fruition.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
Alien Isolation has a fucking weird ending that teased something, but not very well.

Regardless, gimme a proper sequel game please

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the thread.

You could say it doesn't end up with a much of a cliffhanger as it is a small part of a very obvious bigger and longer story, but I still think the ending itself does end in a cliffhanger because you haven't actually learnt what, imo, you were expecting to learn at the beginning of the game.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
As people have mentioned before, Beyond Good & Evil. Yes, we're getting Beyond Good & Evil 2, but it's a prequel and unlikely to follow the first game's cliffhanger ending.

Also, Okami. Ends with a big tease of the Celestial Plain. I don't think Okamiden builds on that, but I haven't played it and it's not by the original creators anyway. And Okami 2 doesn't seem to be happening yet.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Xenoblade X felt like the first chapter of a larger story. It almost feels like an MMO's base story and it's still waiting for the expansions and patch content.

Quoting myself from a different thread where most people didn't know this was a thing.

Not like the story went anywhere interesting anyway. For all intents and purposes it's still hanging from that cliff. Though personally I think the original PoP 2008 ending works well as an ending without needing a sequel.
Didn't the original 2008 game end with the evil god escaping and spreading out to the world after tricking the Prince? (I haven't played the dlc)

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Resident Evil Code Veronica. Somebody has to take down Umbrella, and it sure as shit shouldn't be the U.S. government doing it by a "suspension of business decree" in a goddamned cutscene.