• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which service has the more appealing list of games to you?

• Game Pass's list appeals to me more

Votes: 568 74.5%
  • PS Now's list appeals to me more

Votes: 194 25.5%

• Total voters

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
PSNOW seems to be have the better, bigger library. But gamepass has new first party games day 1...but given the state in which a lot of those release I'm not entirely convinced of the value in that?

Neither have convinced me to use them beyond their trials though. But if I HAD to have one I'd go for PSNOW.

Yeah I'm not too sure how people can claim day 1 first party titles on Gamepass is the major differentiator based on the current state of the libraries. Besides maybe Forza and Sea of Thieves (a few months after launch) I dont really see any software currently out that would justify that initiative. If you ask me, i'd rather play Bloodborne and Until Dawn than State of Decay 2 or Crackdown 3. Yes in the future the 1st party titles may improve for Gamepass, but its crazy to think Sony wont grow their own service at the same time.

Besides, it's hard to really compare the two services objectively (value-wise) since PSNow is basically Gamepass + XCloud, and is priced accordingly.

Last edited:

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Yeah I'm not too sure how people can claim day 1 first party titles on Gamepass is the major differentiator based on the current state of the libraries. Besides maybe Forza and Sea of Thieves (a few months after launch) I dont really see any software currently out that would justify that initiative. If you ask me, i'd rather play Bloodborne and Until Dawn than State of Decay 2 or Crackdown 3. Yes in the future the 1st party titles may improve for Gamepass, but its crazy to think Sony wont grow their own service at the same time.

Besides, it's hard to really compare the two services since PSNow is basically Gamepass + XCloud, and is priced accordingly.

This seems to absolutely diminish the value of brand-new first party titles.

There are audiences for these games, whether or not Era agrees or not on their quality. Having games launch day one on the cheaper service is a significant differentiator.

It might not be the selling point for you, but you're contesting how anyone can claim Day 1 games are the selling point.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

Besides, it's hard to really compare the two services since PSNow is basically Gamepass + XCloud, and is priced accordingly.
I think the difference is that if you own a PS4, it's very likely that you already own Bloodborne and Until Dawn, as both have been going on sale for less than 10 dollars digitally for almost 3 years.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The library doesn't mean a whole lot to me when one service offers native PC games, with first-party games available on release day, while the other only offers streaming of old PS4 games when using a DualShock controller.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Besides, it's hard to really compare the two services objectively (value-wise) since PSNow is basically Gamepass + XCloud, and is priced accordingly.
Why pick a couple of the best Sony titles to compare to a couple of the worst Microsoft titles? What about the likes of FH4, Ori, Gears 4, Hellblade?

And again, it's not just the first party titles that differentiate the services. It's the more recent major third party releases and day one indies.

Also both Bloodborne and Until Dawn were given away with PS Plus already, so there's little value there if you're a subscriber of both services.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
i dont even have to look at PS Nows...and im picking that one. Gamepass is made up of games i already have (mostly from GWG)...and games i dont wanna play. I look at the gamepass list and theres like 4 games i would play (that i dont already own).

But if one service is full of games you already own then doesn't that make them better games? Because you liked them enough to buy them.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Short question, I don't own a PS4 nor a dualshock controller. Do have an Xbox One controller. Will I be able to play the PS4 games via streaming and PS Now?

Reckheim

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The argument for psnow just isn't there right now. I do anticipate Sony making it a better proposition for next gen just like MS did with gamepass.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to absolutely diminish the value of brand-new first party titles.

There are audiences for these games, whether or not Era agrees or not on their quality. Having games launch day one on the cheaper service is a significant differentiator.

It might not be the selling point for you, but you're contesting how anyone can claim Day 1 games are the selling point.

Fair enough, I guess by definition that would be considered a differentiator.

I think the difference is that if you own a PS4, it's very likely that you already own Bloodborne and Until Dawn, as both have been going on sale for less than 10 dollars digitally for almost 3 years.

Yes but if we are talking about quality and appeal of the software, I am still going to choose those 4 year old games. Tbf I am not going to subscribe to any of these services so I'm not really advocating for either of them, but just going by "list wars" or w/e then yeah I think PSNow has the better offering.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Short question, I don't own a PS4 nor a dualshock controller. Do have an Xbox One controller. Will I be able to play the PS4 games via streaming and PS Now?

Not sure about the controller part, but you can stream to and sign up on your PC.

Oct 27, 2017
Those indies are not on PS Now.

I understand MS exclusives aren't for everyone, but this is about which service has a superior list of games for you personally. Which means third party games on the service are also part of that.

But I completely understand your reasons to prefer PS Now.

And I have no interest in playing those indies. And even if I did have it, I could play them on PS4, Switch or PC. As I said, personally, the first party games available on Game Pass are not appealing at all to me. I don't come to these services for indie games, so all I can base my opinion on are first party games.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Yes but if we are talking about quality and appeal of the software, I am still going to choose those 4 year old games. Tbf I am not going to subscribe to any of these services so I'm not really advocating for either of them, but just going by "list wars" or w/e then yeah I think PSNow has the better offering.

That's fair, that's what the thread is asking, what appeals to you.

I was mostly replying to the "Yeah I'm not too sure how people can claim day 1 first party titles on Gamepass is the major differentiator based on the current state of the libraries " comment. There are both 1st and 3rd party games laynching day 1 on Gamepass for a minimal fee. It's a pretty big deal for a lot of people, and those games cover a pretty broad spectrum of game genres.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
So, scanning through these lists very quickly...

I see about 8 great games on PS Now. All of them are pretty old and could be obtained for a fairly low cost. There are, like, a solid 50 good/solid games spread throughout. I am only counting the PS4 games, as everything else would have to be streamed, and that is a giant no.

Honestly, I stopped counting with the Game Pass... it is pointless. There is no comparison. There are tons and tons of great games from the last ten years or so. The value here is astonishing...

There is no comparison.

*edit*
Holy shit, twenty five percent of people voted for PS Now? Holy fuck... why? Bloodborne is one of the best games ever made, but you can buy it for ten bucks these days. Prey is my game of 2017, but it is the only great game on PS Now that can't be purchased for pocket change. Come on, guys, you are lying to yourself if you think PS Now has the better library.

*edit 2*
Oh, okay. It is a lot competitive when you include the streaming games. I just ignored those. Fair enough.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That's fair, that's what the thread is asking, what appeals to you.

I was mostly replying to the "Yeah I'm not too sure how people can claim day 1 first party titles on Gamepass is the major differentiator based on the current state of the libraries " comment. There are both 1st and 3rd party games laynching day 1 on Gamepass for a minimal fee. It's a pretty big deal for a lot of people, and those games cover a pretty broad spectrum of game genres.

Yeah I stand corrected there, I overstated my impressions of the offering as something more than my own opinion. If you like MS's output, it is definitely a huge selling point and that cant really be argued.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I believe PS4 Remote Play requires a Dualshock 4, not sure about PS Now. Assume it's the same?

KSodBJE.png

EDIT: from the official site...

PC
For the best gameplay experience, we recommend using a DS4 or DS3 controller. However, some third party PC compatible controllers that use XInput will work with the PS Now on PC service, but we do not guarantee that they will have full compatibility with the PS Now on PC service. For example, some third party controllers will not support motion control, or other features.
This means that available features and how they work vary according to the controller you are using.
The PS Now app for Windows PC includes full support for the DualShock 4 and DualShock 3 controllers. Connect the controller via USB mini cable via a USB port on your PC to use PlayStation Now.

Optionally, you can also order the DualShock 4 USB Wireless Adaptor (sold separately) to connect your DualShock 4 to your Windows PC wirelessly while you play PS Now.

plié

Alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2019
Gamepass 1st party titles on day 1 is pretty amazing.

Hope Sony will soon follow.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

I guess that's fair, those games can be had for less than the cost of just one month of PSnow though. To somebody who never owned a PS4 even, it's probably still a better/cheaper investment to just buy the old games you want to play.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Don't let you hope die, check back in a month or two and you might se them working very hard to add content/features and fix issues. If that's the case, this game can still become something special.

There's plenty to play in the meantime!
I could've sworn DS was on psnow at some point. If it's not, ima have to go with game pass. Both have pros and cons that make em both suck to me, but I'll have to go with the smaller tighter library.

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
PS Now only works in so little countries, and if you stream out of them (even with vpn) doesn't work. Also NO SEARCH its inviable.

Kleegamefan

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 16, 2017
Game Pass because many of the Xbox first party exclusives aren't worth $60 in my eyes so that is the only way I could see myself playing them.

I own all the great PlayStation games already.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
GamePass and I own a PS4 Pro and enjoy it more than my time with Xbox One. Sony really needs to catch up in that area. The last time I used PS Now it had so many issues I assumed they were abandoning it but the more likely thing is they're holding off until next gen.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Gamepass has been nothing short of great for me after getting a Xbone X. Dont even why i continue to buy more games for it as Gamepass already have more games i have time to play...

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
None. Subscription services suck.

If I had to choose then PS Now but it's simply because of library of choice and not the value offered.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Well considering there are only a handful of games available on PC for game pass, I guess PSNow wins by default for me.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
Game pass of course. It's really the best value in gaming to day. I personally feel PS Now is still an absolute mess today. Downloads are supported at least which is a good start to improving it.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
These things don't sound like a very good deal to me. I get like 30 games a year with the normal rip-off subscription, and those are hardly worth shit to me. I'm much more concerned with figuring out what games are worth my time.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I'm a bit torn on which one is better.
I like PS Now, but have most of the games on it that I would like to play so I don't subscribe. I do appreciate them offering the service with few different play options.
I like Game Pass as well, but my subscription to it is the only reason I turn on my S. If it didn't exist, I would never turn it on except to play whatever Forza I was into at the time.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
This websites usually favors Sony in almost everything, and Game Pass is leading in the poll 3:1 which just goes to show you Game Pass is doing something right.

Yes, PS Now has a lot of games, but it is all of Yesterday's games, while Game Pass is launching games day 1 on their service, both first party such as Forza Horizon, or third party games such as Ashen or Mutant Year Zero.

Game Pass is probably the best deal in gaming right now. This service is going to explode once some of their big hitters come along such as Gears and Halo, along with the 13 studios they have now (probably more by the end of the year).

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The advantage of Game Pass is first party games being released day 1, but the frequency and quality of those games is not particularly attractive. PS Now has a larger library for both downloads and streaming.

Neither are getting my money at the moment, but PS Now has the better game list today.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass easily. Both the current and future library are very enticing. Been playing a lot more too.