• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lolilolailo

Oct 27, 2017
That's going to be interesting.

Are there any games in Game pass that require a separate subscription or used to require a separate subscription?

I thought Fallout 76 and The Elder Scrolls Online were subscription based, but I see it's just a premium subscription, not needed for playing. Hoping they do the same for WoW.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For the compare in January 2021 they had a 3 millions growth in one trimester (15>18mil). The slowdown explains why we didn't had any numbers since (I am not couting wrong estimates made by estimated people here).

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Game Pass doesn't become the de facto model for games in the future. I don't like movies being removed from Netflix and I wouldn't like it for games either. I like buying and selling games on my own terms.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
And no part of Gamepass prevents that.
But doesn't it if it becomes the main means of distribution? Let's say a game comes to GP and I add it to my backlog. 2 years later I get around to it, but it leaves the service when I'm halfway through. Doesn't that majorly suck? I'm on the hook now to buy the game if I want to finish it- something I could just have done in the first place.

I've also stayed away from GP given what people here say about the storage problems. Wonder whether that will ever get fixed. Wiping my system is not something I'm willing to risk needing to do.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all in. best thing to happen to the consumer side of gaming in a long, long time.

(along side being able to game share/subscription share)

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017
But doesn't it if it becomes the main means of distribution? Let's say a game comes to GP and I add it to my backlog. 2 years later I get around to it, but it leaves the service when I'm halfway through. Doesn't that majorly suck? I'm on the hook now to buy the game if I want to finish it- something I could just have done in the first place.

I mean in that case, you still wouldn't lose anything as you'd have to pay for the game in either scenario (probably cheaper if it's 2 years later). Also, there's a 20% discount (there's a limit to this I think for newly released to Gamepass games, but certainly not 2 years like your example) to purchase games that are on Gamepass which would bring that down even further

SwitchiNator

Nov 16, 2017
I think for the Activision deal to make sense, the number has to be at least 100 million. Even at $10 per month that would account for 12 billion a year in revenue. Still a ways to go to recoup that 70 billion investment + 7.5 billion for Bethesda.

It just shows how serious MS is about Gamepass. They are all in and if it doesn't work, I don't see how they recoup all they have spent.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I still feel like they should be up to at least twice that amount by now just based on the value. I get some people want to buy their games (they still can), but having access to so many great games for cheap is such a nobrainer to me. I use GP on PC to demo games and then I go buy them. If I'm not feeling it, it's money saved.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I think for the Activision deal to make sense, the number has to be at least 100 million. Even at $10 per month that would account for 12 billion a year in revenue. Still a ways to go to recoup that 70 billion investment + 7.5 billion for Bethesda.

It just shows how serious MS is about Gamepass. They are all in and if it doesn't work, I don't see how they recoup all they have spent.
Also forgetting the amount of money they get from microtransactions and DLCs in Game Pass games. For example, around 40% of all of PlayStation's revenue is MTX, DLC, etc...

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020

You realize call of duty is the biggest selling franchise for 13 years and Candy Crush games pull in over a billion dollars a year alone without looking at kings other mobile games.

That's just two franchises acting like this deal was only for gamepass is silly.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
You realize call of duty is the biggest selling franchise for 13 years and Candy Crush games pull in over a billion dollars a year alone without looking at kings other mobile games.

That's just two franchises acting like this deal was only for gamepass is silly.
I also doubt WoW will get folded into Gamepass. That's too much its own thing, and probably makes more money as a separate platform.

I reckon things like King and WoW is why Spencer is now CEO of gaming instead of Xbox, because parts of the Activision deal will stay out of the Xbox ecosystem.

(I also don't think it's a good deal by the way. But I said the same about Minecraft and have been very wrong there. I think Activision ran the company way too conservatively so maybe Microsoft can leverage the IP better)

Deleted member 23046

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, there was pushback on that 23 million figure almost right away. Jeff Grubb said the number was only 21 million by E3, which tracks with today's figure.
Nah it's still out if the mark, linearly his prognosis of growth would have putted today's results at 34 millions subscribers.

The thing here is this announced a week before earnings calls by an executive, maybe illustrating that new independence taken from the core company, and responsibility coming with.

edit JimD :

I don't think Grubb's number was a prognosis or estimate. He said he knew for a fact it was 21 million at E3, which I'd take to mean that he had a source leaking that number. I think it's pretty clear that subscriptions were slowing down fairly significantly last year, hence the Activision deal.
Sorry I missread you, thought you were still referencing to another take and not the E3 by Grubb. In this case like you said the Grubb info is totally in line with today's results.

Last edited:

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

I've also stayed away from GP given what people here say about the storage problems. Wonder whether that will ever get fixed. Wiping my system is not something I'm willing to risk needing to do.
You get discount for games that are on GP. A new version of the app that doesnt lock down game install files is also in beta test and should release soon.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017

That's why COD exclusivity and day 1 on game pass is crazy talk. That's a lot of lost revenue on top of the acquisition money.
But then again everything so far has been crazy and I won't pretend to understand MS endgame here

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
That's why COD exclusivity and day 1 on game pass is crazy talk. That's a lot of lost revenue on top of the acquisition money.
But then again everything so far has been crazy and I won't pretend to understand MS endgame here
COD will sell a buck ton at retail even if it is day 1 on Game Pass. And MS could care less if it brings another 5 million game pass subs.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
MS wants people in their ecosystem and using it. They want people using gamepass, on xbox live servers, switching from PC to Xbox to cloud.
Thats why their focus is on MAU these last years. With Office etc also. Cant believe we are doing this again after Bethesda. Xbox follows what the mothership is doing.

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Nah it's still out if the mark, linearly his prognosis of growth would have putted today's results at 34 millions subscribers.

The thing here is this announced a week before earnings calls by an executive, maybe illustrating that new independence taken from the core company, and responsibility coming with.

I don't think Grubb's number was a prognosis or estimate. He said he knew for a fact it was 21 million at E3, which I'd take to mean that he had a source leaking that number. I think it's pretty clear that subscriptions were slowing down fairly significantly last year, hence the Activision deal.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
Seems the rate of increase slowed and thus another acquisition. They will keep buying until you have no choice but to subscribe.

130724230234-national-lampoon-january-1973-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People thinking Microsoft isn't going to make COD exclusive are crazy. You can explode gamepass numbers with that move.

Is the ftc review of the buyout really going to take 17 months? That seems a bit excessive time wise.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
I thought about getting Gamepass but I've heard so much stories of the app that runs like shit on PC. Any truth to that?

Deleted member 10623

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2021
I think the content on game pass is generally higher than what's on Netflix. Game Pass is the best subscription service around nowadays, nothing has a library of as much good content.
Both are two different subscriptions. One has movies and shows the other one has games. Netflix is the first mainstream streaming service that why I used it as a comparison. Game pass is the first mainstream gaming service of its kind.

Tyche-42

Sep 29, 2021
Is the ftc review of the buyout really going to take 17 months? That seems a bit excessive time wise.

Nope, june 2023 is the latest. It will be completed between june-2022 and june-2023.

Zenimax was 6 months, as were MS's other acquisitions. This will take longer but id honestly say itll be this year. Maybe even in time to get MW2 day one on gamepass.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

This is a fallacy I see a lot in regards to MS's acquisitions (and others). They don't need to "recoup" that money since they didn't lose the money, they just converted cash into another asset which is worth the same as the cash. If they had gone into debt to acquire a company then yes the money would have to be recouped to pay off the debt but they paid cash from reserves they already had. So unless their cash reserves are required to be at a certain amount then there really isn't a need to recoup the purchase, the only thing that matters is that the company is continuing to make money year over year.

Like if you had 100,000 dollars in the bank and you bought a TV for 1000 you wouldn't be thinking "how am I going to recoup the money I spent on that TV?". You just used some of your cash to buy something you needed.

Now there would be an argument as to how good an investment it will be if the gaming division isn't making money and MS decides it needs to sell the assets it got in this and other purchases but that's not the same thing as MS feeling they need to "recoup" the purchase cost like they're paying off a debt to themselves.