• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Someone needs a wallpaper.

bqpfpiq7y7v21.jpg

This shit was beautiful.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, the weirdness, mysticism, and power of the WW/Others is literally the first scene of the show. Sorry for expecting more than a wet fart after 8 years (more since I read the books prior).
Decimating an army of that size is a wet fart? The WW wiped out several cultures and houses on their way to Winterfell and then wiped out even more once they arrived.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely agree, yet at the same time I feel that for an episode that was marketed as "this is where stakes get really high and people die", it's stupid that so many named characters survived the total and complete onslaught that was happening around them.

Some of them don't even have a meaningful arc anymore. I mean, what kind of use could someone like Missandei, Grey Worm or Thormund realistically still have to the story?
Well there is atleast one more battle. I think Missandei might be Hand of the Queen if Dany wins. Etc.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I mean, the weirdness, mysticism, and power of the WW/Others is literally the first scene of the show. Sorry for expecting more than a wet fart after 8 years (more since I read the books prior).
You learned where the White Walkers came from. You saw where they basically "live". You saw their historic impact on Westeros, and you saw them come into several major conflicts with principal characters. Did you also want the Night King to monologue about his family and his hatred for the World of Man?

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
We're going to have to agree to disagree. It is plainly obvious that they were operating as a vanguard unit. And while the plan was ultimately to survive and funnel the NK into where Bran was, standard military planning and actions were still very much required and appropriate. In that regard, pushing the battle away from Winterfell's front gates 100% makes sense for a variety of reasons.

They got overwhelmed by a massive army they did not anticipate and did not see coming.

Standard Military planning would've seen The Unsullied push out to meet the Dead at a midpoint in the battle, with the Trebs behind the rear lines, and the Dothraki waiting in the wings to sweep the mid or rear of the dead once the two fronts were engaged. The reason this didn't happen wasn't because they decided to use the Dothraki as Vanguard and Jon/Dany as Cavalry. The reason it didn't happen is because, for whatever reason, the show just doesn't put much into actual medieval tactics.

Remember that Jon and Dany were never supposed to enter the main battle at all. They were supposed to gank NK when he revealed himself. So if Dany doesn't freak out and join the battle forcing Jon to support her, Then the Dothraki just run out and die with the Unsullied holding a severely pushed back line that's set up behind their own Trebs for some reason. It was incredbly tactically unsound and not at all suited for an advance.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why the Night King didn't have his top guys throwing ice lances at the dragons while they rode around lost in the blizzard.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly can't sympathize with those who wanted to know more about the White Walkers or Night King. They're a supernatural threat meant to unite most of the cast under a single banner. What purpose is served by knowing why the big zombie horde is doing what they're doing? Feels like unnecessary exposition.
Literally replace white walkers or night king with any type of character in any show and see how silly of an argument this is. Knowing the motivations and characters of threats our protagonists face is an incredibly important part of building real drama we care about rather than just eye candy spectacle.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I'm behind, but anyone who "predicted" Melesandra coming back and helping are just big fat phonies who lifted spoilers.

I'm sure a bunch of other well circulated "predictions" are going to happen as well with zero deviation!
Well, to be fair I think a lot of folks predicted that Melessandra would return for the final fight against the white walkers. I thought that would happen. I just didn't expect this episode to be that final fight, you know?
Melisandre told her she'd close many eyes, and she specifically mentioned "Green eyes, Brown eyes, and blue eyes."

Do you remember what Gendry said when she asked him what they were like, and he said "They're like death?"

WELL WHAT DO WE SAY TO THE GOD OF DEATH
Thanks for writing this. I'm still reading through the thread (100+ pages since the start of the episode, WOW) but the number of folks that didn't catch any of that was wild to me.
I don't think the Night King is "gone" gone. We'll see what happens next episode. I smell some fuckery coming.
Hey, can you name a SINGLE thing that gives you this idea?
How can Arya take a white walkers face if when killed they disintegrate?
Exactly.
Wait a minute, didn't Arya basically get ninja training in Braavos? Why are people saying that the way she killed the Night King was stupid????
They're not really angry at that. The gif with the toilet flushing is what they're really angry at. Their pet theories are all down the drain.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Remember we are getting 3 more episodes and another big battle. Some people act like this is it, Tyrion will also serve his purpose methinks, him complaining about not being "up there" with the rest tells me he wants to play a bigger role in the battle for King's Landing. Y'all will have your dead characters you're clamoring for don't worry =P

While I agree that the Dothraki charge definitely could've been handled better and not that agressively stupid (even though that's kinda their thing) what else would you have the Unsullied do differently? This is a serious question as I'm interested in hearing other tactics. Being a living shield is their whole shtick, could their role be more "graceful"? Yeah sure why not, although almost everyone except the main characters got their ass brutally handed to them.

Kinda surprised to see this sentiment in the last few hours, the Dothraki and Unsullied are my favorite type of characters in the whole series (together with my g's Jaqen H'ghar and Ser Barristan) and I didn't have this feeling at all.

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It was shot really beatifully, also the music was great. Especially the last 15 minutes were scored awesome.
But I felt the plot armor was too much.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He was a First Man who was changed into a Ice Demon via a magical ceremony and he uses a variety of Ice magic lol so to me its not a very big reach that he would be immune to fire. Also we had a few hints in the show that Wight Walkers themselves were immune or highly resistant to the effects of fire and dragonfire. The Night King is the King of the Wights so it would make sense that he has the same resistance.

Also Bran saying "I don't know. Nobody has ever tried it...." when he was asked about it was a dead giveaway to me that he would be immune.

Can you point out where? I honestly don't remember any hints that they were immune to dragonfire.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why the Night King didn't have his top guys throwing ice lances at the dragons while they rode around lost in the blizzard.
They were way higher up than they were in beyond the wall.

Can you point out where? I honestly don't remember any hints that they were immune to dragonfire.
They were shown at several points to literally put out fires, even magical ones by proximity alone. It was a nice hope to think it'd be as easy as stopping them with dragonfire or even regular fire like the wights. But seems their literally only weakness is the specific metal that created them in the first place.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The dothraki charge made sense, that's their strength. Charging into darkness was just bad writing when one of the dragons could have set the forest on fire or laid down a line of dragonfire so they'd at least know where they were charging. But they wanted that admittedly neat moment where all the little flames blinked out.

....No. He was a First Man. The Targaryens came to Westeros thousands of years after that.

Also, Targaryens are not immune to fire. Only Dany (and in the books, only in that specific moment where she hatched the dragon eggs...). Remember Viserys?

The Night King being immune to dragonfire is just some silly twist to inflate tension. There's no reason he should be.

It didn't come out of nowhere at least. We've seen several times that the NK and his generals snuff out flames just by being near them. It's part of their power, for the show at least. Like the showrunners said on the inside the episode bit after the show, they had no reason to think that dragonfire might not work (being much stronger than normal fire), but no reason to expect that it would.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I probably read these books years before you ever even started the show.

While of course you are allowed to criticize, saying shit like this makes you come of as elitist: "Look at me I've read the books and I am more of a fan than you, my opinion matters more" is basically what you are saying and that doesn't help your argument at all.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
We literally spent 8 seasons with a main character whose entire story was predicated on this battle, and when it happened he didn't do a single thing. Thats fucking hilariously awful writing. People clapping their hands at the spectacle means nothing about the actual substance of the writing.
lmao, you are being so childish. there is not an ounce of logic in what you just said.

Jon can't make it to the weirwood tree "but that's impossible! he's the main character! that's what his arc was about!" meanwhile the show has been subverting prophecy since the beginning.

i don't mean to be so insulting but this is absolutely ridiculous.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Sansa scene actually makes me angry. Like, when she pulled out the knife and the dramatic music swelled I got genuinely emotional thinking she was about to sacrifice herself for her people, an end to her character that would have been totally unexpected and surprising. And then literally nothing happens, nobody important dies, and Sansa isn't seen again until the end when she's perfectly fine.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Standard Military planning would've seen The Unsullied push out to meet the Dead at a midpoint in the battle, with the Trebs behind the rear lines, and the Dothraki waiting in the wings to sweep the mid or rear of the dead once the two fronts were engaged. The reason this didn't happen wasn't because they decided to use the Dothraki as Vanguard and Jon/Dany as Cavalry. The reason it didn't happen is because, for whatever reason, the show just doesn't put much into actual medieval tactics.

Remember that Jon and Dany were never supposed to enter the main battle at all. They were supposed to gank NK when he revealed himself. So if Dany doesn't freak out and join the battle forcing Jon to support her, Then the Dothraki just run out and die with the Unsullied holding a severely pushed back line that's set up behind their own Trebs for some reason. It was incredbly tactically unsound and not at all suited for an advance.

thank you

idk how anyone can argue that is was even remotely sensible to charge in all their light cav to die and have their artillery in front of all their infantry, at least from a strategic standpoint

I get the show doesn't need perfect tactics. but last night made all the commanders gathered there (jon/jorah/jaime) just look dumb

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
While of course you are allowed to criticize, saying shit like this makes you come of as elitist: "Look at me I've read the books and I am more of a fan than you, my opinion matters more" is basically what you are saying and that doesn't help your argument at all.
i'm just saying I waited years for what this season represents and now feel super deflated

my opinion doesn't matter more or less than anyone else's. it's just context for why I feel the way I do.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Dany is a lot of things, but she is not a tactician.

The Dothraki did what the Dothraki do. Charge headlong into battle to inflict shock and awe. (See Loot Train)

I think they expected the undead to behave as infantry as they aren't mounted. They figured they could go in, inflict some damage, and get out. They didn't expect a WALL of undead. You could see it in the Bloodrider's face... he was looking down and straight ahead... and then UP and OH GOD.

You can try as hard as you want, it's cheap and stupid writing when the greatest army in the world on the open field gets obliterated in seconds while fat Sam and one handed Jamie survive hordes of the same enemies.
The tactic was stupid, their sudden death was stupid, D&D are frauds as simple as that

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
So when is Bronn showing up?
How will Varys die?
Who will push Bran's wheelchair, and what will Bran do now? Does he care about who wins the throne? Why did Jon have to know about his parents? Why does not-Bran-anymore care?
Also, remember when Jojen said we would know when it's the end when it would be the end, and he stared at his hand on fire? Is that forgotten or still meaningful?

1) Bronn will either appear out of nowhere and betray Jaime/Tyrion or he will just waltz through the front gates and tell them what Cersei tried to have him do. That is my prediction lol

2) Not a clue. I have no prediction on that. Varys is so all over the place storyline wise that he could die in alot of unexpected ways.

3) Do we even know who pushed Bran in the first place? lol

4) I think he "cares" in his own way. I think he is aiming for the best outcome, but the best outcome may not be the one we expect.

5) I would like to think that is still meaningful, but at this point who knows. The show has shown a few times now that it pays attention to some predictions and not others.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
The irony is that as beautiful as that is, the dragons-in-fog sequences were among my most irritating. Wasn't really tense; just annoying. "I can't see shit".

This very nice still only serves to remind me of that.

My only complaint on the execution of the episode kind of involves this. I feel like the battle had a lot of points in it that elongated the over all sequence without much point to it. Seems like they just stretched it out so they could do all the "Longest battle ever!" marketing.

Only thing that makes it fine though is because they had like 20 characters to jump around to, which helped give tons of diversity of locations, but at the same time made the battle pacing a little off.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Sansa scene actually makes me angry. Like, when she pulled out the knife and the dramatic music swelled I got genuinely emotional thinking she was about to sacrifice herself for her people, an end to her character that would have been totally unexpected and surprising. And then literally nothing happens, nobody important dies, and Sansa isn't seen again until the end when she's perfectly fine.
whole scene was really weird. there was some good tension with sansa and tyrion, then they decide to do... something, and then... nothing. ok?

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Davos was going to ask Melisandre about that Azor Ahai talk she was doing all series long and she literally did the peace out disappear meme.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
correct. as soon as the dragons entered the fray, the WW's cast that smokey haze spell to make it difficult for the dragons to see their targets, which also caused a breakdown in their planning (Melissandre having to light the fire around Winterfell).
Yeah that's fine. But it doesn't explain why the dragons didn't take to the field EARLIER. If the moment the undead wave approached, the dragons took to flight to raze them and later got caught in the blizzard and getting fucked over, forcing the Dothraki to march, then OK.

But them waiting for the Dothraki to pointlessly die was stupid.

He was a First Man who was changed into a Ice Demon via a magical ceremony and he uses a variety of Ice magic lol so to me its not a very big reach that he would be immune to fire. Also we had a few hints in the show that Wight Walkers themselves were immune or highly resistant to the effects of fire and dragonfire. The Night King is the King of the Wights so it would make sense that he has the same resistance.
Yeah, sure. But then why would he die to Valyrian steel, which is steel forged in dragonfire? Kinda sketchy but oh well.

He is such a visual delight to imagine in the books. How they adapted him to a one-note villain for the show is beyond me. What a waste. Second only to Dawn just being a regular-ass sword.
"Visual" delight is right. ;) Call me shallow but when book-Euron looks like this....
dbddd322e3dee7dd46c7a60165cee6508ce92d5f_hq.jpg

Euron's attractiveness and charisma is what makes him so successful and powerful too, so it's not just shallowness on my part :P But show-Euron is just a goofy, insipid meathead. Ugh.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Same logic can be applied to gun fights where none of the stars die. Hell, Storm Trooper fights. It's a show/movie.

The issue is Game of Thrones up until the last few seasons has always sort of run by a different set of rules, it has always been far more grounded and realistic which has always been such a breath of fresh air in comparison to other fantasy shows/movies, in a sense it was the ant-ithesis to Star Wars or LOTR. So to see Brienne, Jamie, Samwell Tarly (lol crying underneath zombies mid battle lol), etc.. as the only guys standing in a heroic last stand battle as secondary characters with less fan fare getting killed and "red shirts" get slaughtered and all the "heroes" and fan favorite characters are repeatedly being shown killing hordes of zombies and saving each other feels far more like Star Wars or Lord of the rings than what Game of Thrones was.

Quite frankly this is the issue that people have, I don't think the quality was bad, its just that GoT is so used to surprising and pleasing its audience by going against most modern day fantasy movie tropes that to see it follow all of those tropes to a fucking tee was a bit infuriating.

But for me the fact that GoT typically hasnt followed those tropes in the past meant at any point any of these people could die last night, There were times I legitimately thought Arya, Sansa, Tyrion, Khaleesi, Jon Snow, were all actually going to die because GoT has built a world where killing big time fan favorite characters was an actual legitimate outcome.

Last edited:

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Someone commented in the asoiaf forums: Bran's explanation in ep2 is poor. The whole world has no idea about what is happening in the north of Westeros, and none of the know about the damn TER, yet we're supposed to think that killing the TER would be a major loss for the world, the guy who never says anything to anyone and is just stuck in a tree in the far north of westeros.

It would have made more sense for the NK to destroy the Citadel or some such, if it had been shown as a great center of wisdom. The TER is nobody, never did anything useful for the world.

Damerman

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
How is "his hubris killed him" good storytelling though?

When Oberyn was killed because of his hubris, it made sense in the story because he was seeking vengeance and justice, and wanted a public confession. That his hubris led to his downfall is tragic. It's a meaningful character beat.

What about the Night King dying because of his hubris makes this narrative better? Why was there 8 seasons of build up for his hubris to be his downfall? What does that say about him, or the White Walkers, or the Long Night, or anything else about the world?
it says more about the living and their willingness to fight even when the odds are against them... how the white walkers react is open to interpretation, but it's obvious that the NK thought he had winterfell in the bag and he was going to finally kill the 3ER.

Plum

May 31, 2018
They got overwhelmed by a massive army they did not anticipate and did not see coming.

Dany is a lot of things, but she is not a tactician.

The Dothraki did what the Dothraki do. Charge headlong into battle to inflict shock and awe. (See Loot Train)

I think they expected the undead to behave as infantry as they aren't mounted. They figured they could go in, inflict some damage, and get out. They didn't expect a WALL of undead. You could see it in the Bloodrider's face... he was looking down and straight ahead... and then UP and OH GOD.
They had no idea what formation or tactics the NK was gonna use.

And it was the first time they saw dead in numbers so high the behaved more like a tidal wave of bones and knives than just zombies here and there. I think they were caught pretty off guard by the sheer numbers.

What?

How?

Jon, Dany, Jorah, Tormund, the Hound, Gendry, Sam, Edd and Beric all have first-hand experience with the Wights and their numbers and most of the other characters have at least some experience with a Wight. Hardhome had them behaving like the exact same 'tidal wave' that they were at Winterfell, and the same thing happened again with the excursion beyond the wall. There was literally no reason to believe that the 'fearless army of the dead' would suddenly start acting like a fearful army of the living.

There's also the fact that Bran literally has the power to get a birds-eye view of the battlefield. Why the hell would you send hundreds of your men to scout the battlefield out when you have someone like that to help?

Also my issue isn't that the Dothraki charged, it's that they charged in the most meaningless and idiotic way imaginable. Trying to reduce them to human versions of Bullet Bills from Super Mario is a really bad excuse.

When has Dany ever been a tactician?

Scary? Yeah
Tenacious? Definitively
Brilliant Military mind? I dunno bout that one, chief.

That person implied that Dany's contact with the Dothraki had reduced her tactics to "just rush 'em lol". No matter her tactical ability that just doesn't make any sense and it's a really weird way to look at it in my eyes.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I'm guessing many of you saw this already?

It's super interesting in giving explanations about the narrative choices of the episode.

I really feel for all the people that are enraged and disappointed with the show, but I personally still really enjoy it. As soon as this season ends, I'm gonna restart the show and rewatch everything. There are so many things I don't remember since the first season in 2011.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
The NK was shown walking through fire when he shot down the dragon, so it's not entirely out of the ordinary he'd be immune to the dragonfire.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
"We have a literally insurmountable threat with no way out. Uh, random dagger. Done".

A load of utter shit narratively. All very impressive as a TV production feat but lord that ending, woof.

Status
Not open for further replies.