• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The transition to a new console generation gives us many reasons to be excited about the future of gaming. However, as we anticipate what lies ahead, we should also pay our respects to the current-gen games that brought us to this point. After all, the big next-gen releases on the horizon are only possible thanks to the innovations in gameplay, storytelling, and technology that we've seen introduced in recent years.

Here we celebrate the highest achievements of the current generation. It's impossible to call out every great game on PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and PC – though do we hand out additional accolades in our End-of-Generation Awards feature. But here, we're singling out the best of the best; read on to see our for the top contenders across various categories and genres. Whether you want to find a hidden gem you missed or just reminisce about your favorites, these are the games that shaped the generation.

The Top Tier:
Some games are simply must-plays. They are so groundbreaking and astounding that they rise to the top of the conversation regardless of genre confines. That's what these five games represent; if you want a crash course in what was great about this generation, these are what you need to play. They encapsulate the current height of the craft, with memorable characters, immersive gameplay, and clever approaches to player agency.

God of War continues the story of Kratos, but he isn't the warrior you remember. Transplanted into the world of Norse mythology, the Ghost of Sparta is now raising his son, Atreus, while also reckoning with his own violent deeds. Santa Monica Studio's narrative strikes a more thoughtful and mature tone than previous entries, but retains the stylish gameplay; the adventure is full of intense combat and epic moments, and the star of the show is the Leviathan – a magical axe Kratos can throw and recall at will.

Naughty Dog set such a high bar with The Last of Us, many players felt the game did not need a sequel. However, The Last of Us Part II proves that the tale of Joel and Ellie is far from over. It tells a nuanced story of revenge, with fantastic characters and emotional performances that create a cinematic experience. The tense and brutal encounters force players into uncomfortable situations, but the attention to detail in your surroundings make the setting feel grounded and believable.

If you want to live the cowboy fantasy while also being treated to some of the best storytelling in the business, Red Dead Redemption II is for you. As part of an outlaw gang, Arthur Morgan explores a vast frontier as he tries to secure a better life for himself and his friends. Players can pull off heists, have shoot-outs, and even hop into an ever-evolving multiplayer mode. Rockstar Games has filled its world with countless events and secrets, so it feels alive in a way that no other open-world game can match.

Long-running series occasionally need to be revitalized to stay relevant, but The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild goes a step further. It completely reinvents Nintendo's classic franchise with an emphasis on open-world exploration, flexible combat, and the joy of discovery. Link glides and climbs through Hyrule, conquering shrines and making friends until he is able to confront Ganon. This entry forsakes the "visit dungeon, get item, beat boss" formula, finding a new level of freedom that helps it soar.

Many games tout the importance of player choice, but few can pull it off like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. CD Projekt Red presents decisions with no clear right or wrong path, and players must live with the consequences. Even if things don't turn out well, the array of well-written sidequests keeps you invested, along with satisfying combat against intimidating beasts. This sprawling RPG gives you an entire fantasy world to explore, and makes you feel like a capable warrior every step of the way.

Much more at the link:
www.gameinformer.com

Game Informer's Best Games Of The Generation

We highlight the defining games of the last generation, selecting the best of the best titles

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Hey, Smash Ultimate made it. Nice to see, fighting games are usually ignored on this sort of stuff.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Full list:

Must played:
Story Driven:
FPS:

Intense Action:
Open world:
Old-school charm:
Wholesome fun:
Mind Binders:
RPG:
Fierce competition:

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Feel like they picked way too many for this to be something of a discussion really. Just about every game that's great or above is there.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
First game mentioned in the top tier is appropriate.

I like how they've broken this up in to sections because it's almost impossible to compare something like Her Story to Breath of the Wild and even worse if you're trying to rank them.

AC Syndicate stands out to me in the open world category but all of this is good.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
God of War's place on a lot of these lists has been interesting... I tore through it when it first came out, it connected with me emotionally, loved the gameplay, etc. But I just haven't really thought of it since then.

On the other hand, TLoU P2 has really stuck with me, and BotW/Witcher 3 are easily in my Top 10 of all time, let alone this gen. RDR2 was an impressive feat but i don't think it's a good game.

GI's list feels safe but it's good. I appreciate that they're giving some other games that aren't big budget GOTY types some love.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
Doom Eternal over Doom 2016 and no love for Baba is You are my only real complaints with this list, seems fine and safe overall

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Full list:

Must played:
Story Driven:
FPS:

Intense Action:
Open world:
Old-school charm:
Wholesome fun:
Mind Binders:
RPG:
Fierce competition:
Very solid picks all around

I didnt enjoy RDR 2 and BOTW very much, but I respect them for what they are

Let's see if this article gets changed after Cyberpunk's release

This gen still has some juice left in it

was anyone emotionally moved by God of War?

Can't speak for others but I was. More than once, actually

Despite having played the game many months ago, I still remember a lot of moments because of what I felt back then

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Shovel Knight deserves to be in the "Old-School Charm" list. It's like we've forgotten that game came out in 2014.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
God of War continues the story of Kratos, but he isn't the warrior you remember. Transplanted into the world of Norse mythology, the Ghost of Sparta is now raising his son, Atreus, while also reckoning with his own violent deeds. Santa Monica Studio's narrative strikes a more thoughtful and mature tone than previous entries, but retains the stylish gameplay; the adventure is full of intense combat and epic moments, and the star of the show is the Leviathan – a magical axe Kratos can throw and recall at will.

xr24tfd.gif

Just a incredibly fun weapon to use.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
People here overestimate how Bloodborne is seen outside era. Not saying it isn't looked at highly, but not as the definitive GOAT like people here think.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
People here overestimate how Bloodborne is seen outside era. Not saying it isn't looked at highly, but not as the definitive GOAT like people here think.
Definitely lol. And I'm a fan.

Biggest miss for me is Sekiro. That game is amazing and not listed.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see more people agree that TLOU2, GOW, and BOTW are 3 of the 5 best games of the entire generation

Alongside Hollow Knight and Bloodborne

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
People either suck at DMC5 or didnt play it. Also Control in the "INTENSE ACTION" category? The term "action" in videogames should be a gameplay driven category, right?
List is fine but its actually trash because no DMC 5