• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the problem. They are not the first influencer type people to show the houses they bought on YouTube. I watch anime reaction channels and you can see their recording areas change over the years as the YouTube money comes in and they eventually buy a house.

I bought a house back in 2017 and I have plans to make my study/office room into an "anime room" just as soon as I have the money for nice displays. My waifu figures and posters are ready to go.

How is this different from gaudy video game merch on display?

What you described is far worse, but you do you man.

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how someone can see this situation and have their reaction be "man these kids' decorations are tacky as fuck" and not "no one should have enough money to buy something this wasteful just by making bad YouTube videos, capitalism sucks".

Does it suck as much as arbitrarily trying to assign negative value to elements of culture you dislike?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather live in some gamer-bros streaming house (and that's saying something) than some average dude's generic Ikea hideout with their shitty un-comfortableness and generic wall-hangings. A lot of "adults" have the same style. If I enter another house and they have an Ikea FINNALA or equivalent then I'm going home.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
cringed at thread title considering what's been coming out about sky williams house

Yeah. I'm not sure what Kotaku was thinking running an article like this with all the Sky House stuff going on. Read the room.

As for the guys themselves, all that money and they couldn't buy themselves enough self-awareness not to call themselves One Percent with the amount of systemic inequity and financial hardship going on right now. Probably many who also donate money to them on their streams. It's just a really bad look all around.

Ominym

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, while it's not something I would do this seems super harmless and reeks of people who think tearing down others/being negative about something makes you look smart.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Hooray for capitalism I guess. Imagine being proud of branding yourself the one percent haha. Also, are they all white?

Last edited:

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
For a mansion, those bedrooms looked rather small but I guess the pool, Jacuzzi, and movie room make up for it.

Oct 28, 2017
Terrible article. My son (10) asked me to buy a One Percent hoodie for him. He's an avid Fortnite player and I've watched a few of their videos, they seem fine.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
What you described is far worse, but you do you man.

Im a graphic designer so my posters are color coordinated as is the rest of my house. The only hint of anime in my entire house is of my fiancé and me as chibi anime characters in a photo frame in the living room.

I have often been criticized by my cosplaying coworker that it's strange to have an "Anime Room" with nothing on display. She's a fellow graphic designer and has more fully integrated her anime tastes into her house with Love Live, Sailor Moon, and Ghibli film items.

Her decorating goal was to have as much of her stuff on display while still being subtle for people not in the know.

What I'm ultimately saying is houses can look nice with whatever you choose to decorate if you know what you're doing.

bloodyroarx

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Ya know I wish I could say this was a surprise but it's not, Kotaku posting this shitty gossip website quality article shaming these kids for committing the sin of what? spending their money they way they want?

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
And here I am sitting here thinking, "I wonder how much that utilities bill costs per month? How much water does it take to water that lawn?"

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly can only think of the many hardships these people will endure in the following years:
- Many expensive fees regarding the maintenance of the property in the following years. (Taxes?)
- The usual problems of coexistence between roommates but multiplied by riches...
- Difficulty when they decide to sell the mansion. Think of the arguments families have when an inheritance appears, but with strangers!

Maybe their income isn't completely based on Fornite, but still... I'm relieved I won't be having any of those problems anytime soon.

Having said that, the article is worded in the "anime fan in a prom night" way :v
They're already in big problems before we even start to tear them down or something.

Finally, one of the Kotaku commenters comparing this to the 1994's Blank Check movie, and due to how that movie ends: 😬

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
I wish I am wealthy or financially stable enough to jeer at young people able to buy a mansion with their own money.

Like, lol, the article and some of you in here are just so sad. It's not like they're purchasing that mansion using drug money or something.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I mean, yeah, this whole trend of internet famous teenagers packing themselves into mansions is a concerning, absurd and unsustainable thing that really should stop but at the same time, this whole article is so sour and petty.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
As I said in the comments of the article, they're not even doing the "showing off being rich" part right. Dior? Louis Vuitton? Yawwwwwwn.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
It's how it goes. 99% of streamers that have a cam on during stream reveal that they live like degenerates. My brother was one of them until he realized he probably needed to grow up.

Just insane.
I don't get this take because considering the type of things Kotaku talks about and promotes this article is basically throwing shade at I would guess 30% of their audience.

Besides they didn't decorate anything besides their bedrooms. Some of it was tacky but why mock very personal space like that?

The only thing worth making jokes about was the wine cellar they won't use and the fact that they got tricked into thinking Sinatra plays the piano.

So everything that was legit funny and fair game was done by the seller/ owner.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a thread full of stupid salty takes this is my personal favourite. You have no fucking idea how they grew up but didnt let that stop you wildly speculating on it. Kudos. Though you are right about them getting lucky, just like every single other person who made it big.
I'm sure you know people who ignored their responsibilities to play video games. I know I do. Hell, I did it myself quite a bit. And yeah, that reflects poorly on my parents for not keeping a closer eye on me. You better believe I am far more proactive with my own kids.

The fact is, most human kids don't have the capacity to reach their full potential in school while also becoming that skilled in an external activity. It's true that there are truly gifted people out there and these kids could be that. But I'm skeptical.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I don't know these guys, but they seem mostly harmless and the house doesn't look that bad. The bedrooms look a bit like college dorm rooms, but that's pretty much what this is anyway.

I laughed at the closet door being stuck because they screwed the TV rack in it.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Yea. He competed in Halo and he streamed it and Destiny. I remember back then the highest he got was like 3k views. Which is still a lot mind you, but Fortnite really propelled him.

It did for sure. Fortnite changed his life and made him a multimillionaire.

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
What a terrible article. I honestly don't remember the last good article from Kotaku, it seems like all of their good writers have left the site.

Can't say I have ever heard of the YouTubers in question as I have never touched Fortnite but good for them. Personally, I don't think I could ever live with that many roommates regardless of how big the house is.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
Kind of a shame, the mansion might look okay if the garages weren't just completely ruining the facade.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao some of y'all are haters. I opened the video expecting some annoying sounding teens and some terrible looking house but it honestly wasn't that bad. They made their money, let em spend it how they want.

Also glad to see many people in this thread noticed how juvenile some posters are in this thread.