• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm here for the comments.
I haven't played fortnite this season but the map changes look great.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
tenor.gif

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, if they're gonna steal features, might as well steal good ones. Wish they would steal the gun feedback while they're at it.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
I have to say, Respawn *really* seemed to have dropped the ball on the follow through to Apex. Between the S1 battlepass which seems to have been rather tepidly received, to the comparatively slow pace of updates...I have to wonder what they thought would happen.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
It works really well in Apex, hope it works well here as well. Could really improve random squads potentially.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Epic are completely shameless when it comes to taking ideas from other games.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I have to say, Respawn *really* seemed to have dropped the ball on the follow through to Apex. Between the S1 battlepass which seems to have been rather tepidly received, to the comparatively slow pace of updates...I have to wonder what they thought would happen.

Pretty sure they were not prepared for the huge success

Yup, PUBG, Dota 2 and now Apex lol

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure they were not prepared for the huge success
Whatever it is, wow how they goofed it good. Apex is down to sub 50k at peak on Twitch nowadays. Even being unprepared, did they look at Fortnite and think to themselves "oh, we'll have plenty of time; Epic is so slow with the updates"? The Fortnite team adds a new weapon like every other week.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem with this becoming a standard feature in Battle Royale games. I kind of hope Firestorm gets it too.
For sure, It's always kind of been Epic's MO. ZZT to Kroz, Jazz Jackrabbit to Sonic/Mario, Unreal to Quake 2, Unreal Tournament to Quake 3, Fortnite to PUBG, and of course in smaller instances with mechanics and features. They've often been a studio about innovating on established ideas, and it's usually worked quite well for them.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just think it's another update that will totally favour high-skill players and will be removed in a month or so. I mean a random squad isn't going to be organised enough to use these ... you need to carry a card and have weapons for revived team mates.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Good update, I think squad modes in particular benefit from this in BR games.

And while it is most like the Apex system I want to remind everyone that Apex wasn't the first to bring respawns to BR. Blackout, Realm Royale, Battlerite had them too just in different ways.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

I guess they weren't prepared. I agree though, I'm still playing apex and loving it but the hype has really dropped off a cliff. Hopefully they have some meaty updates coming up.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Epic literally created Unreal Engine and have the manpower and V-bucks money to crock up anything for Fortnite quickly.

RTX ON

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I wish more developers would have the balls to copy good ideas from other games.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think a huge part of the issue is that the studio is also heavily focused on this years Star Wars game, epic however dropped everything and focused solely on fortnite - respawn is tied to Disney contracts right now

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I have no problem with this becoming a standard feature in Battle Royale games. I kind of hope Firestorm gets it too.

For sure, It's always kind of been Epic's MO. ZZT to Kroz, Jazz Jackrabbit to Sonic/Mario, Unreal to Quake 2, Unreal Tournament to Quake 3, Fortnite to PUBG, and of course in smaller instances with mechanics and features. They've often been a studio about innovating on established ideas, and it's usually worked quite well for them.
lmao, what are you trying to do here?
Quake 3 released AFTER Unreal Tournament, Jazz Jackrabbit doesn't really resemble Sonic or Mario that much, and Unreal released about half a year after Quake 2, plus they don't really resemble each other AT ALL besides being arcadey shooters.

Seriously, Epic is definitely replicating some game mechanics for Fortnite, but this kind of post is straight garbage.

Edit: oh boy, and this is a mod coming up with weird stuff? Hahaha.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
lmao, what are you trying to do here?
Quake 3 released AFTER Unreal Tournament, Jazz Jackrabbit doesn't really resemble Sonic or Mario that much, and Unreal released about half a year after Quake 2, plus they don't really resemble each other AT ALL besides being arcadey shooters.

Seriously, Epic is definitely replicating some game mechanics for Fortnite, but this kind of post is straight garbage.
My post and point are more stating that Epic build off the foundations of established ideas and themes and their history has often reflected this as game releases tend to mirror trends and other major releases around the time. Lots of studios of course do this, but Epic's release catalogue tend to show this to a greater degree than others. This has been an arguement for decades now. You can nitpick my points, but the overall arguement is still valid.

None of this is meant to discredit the hard work that Epic do, they have been a great developer and publisher that's released some truly amazing works over the years.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
My post and point are more stating that Epic build off the foundations of established ideas and themes and their history has always reflected this as game releases tend to mirror trends and other major releases around the time. Lots of studios of course do this, but Epic's release catalogue tend to show this to a greater degree than others. This has been a talking point for decades now. You can nitpick my points, but the overall arguement is still valid.
How are they valid when they were wrong to begin with?? And what about Gears of War? What about Robo Recall? Come on, man, lol.

And I'm not saying they aren't doing it with Fortnite, but otherwise...?

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit sad Apex is failling to gain traction on Twitch after the initial content creator push.
I don't mind game mechanics being copied, it's how games get progressively better overall, imagine how 3D games would be if nobody copied Zelda OoT.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a cool thing to try out, I don't see why epic take so much shit about adding features to their game that is constantly evolving. They are actually doing a game as a service correctly and adding things to their existing game.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whatever it is, wow how they goofed it good. Apex is down to sub 50k at peak on Twitch nowadays. Even being unprepared, did they look at Fortnite and think to themselves "oh, we'll have plenty of time; Epic is so slow with the updates"? The Fortnite team adds a new weapon like every other week.

What is Fornite at peak on Twitch nowadays?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
How's Apex respawn system? Never played the game.
Fantastic. It gives players actual reason to stick inside the game after they die, because their teammates can easily revive them if they play smart.

I actually won a game where two times pair of teammates were revived by a one surviving member.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm too used to Apex and not being able to respawn in a Fortnite game with friends is so annoying now.

I wish Apex had as many updates as Fortnite though.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
We had 4 updates and a major one. The game is a month and a half old, what the hell do you people expect?

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
We had 4 updates and a major one. The game is a month and a half old, what the hell do you people expect?
I expect companies to look at their competition and see how they're behaving and what those competitors are offering - which customers will be comparing between. For what it's worth, I don't actually play the game, but that doesn't mean I didn't take note of the dropoff - or the reasons why (I'm guessing).

Grath

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Not necessarily saying that you're not right, but Unreal was in development before Quake 1 got released and UT was released before Q3. Also, in the '80s at least 80% of games were directly inspired by other games. Maybe the percentage went down since then, maybe not, but tons of games are clearly reactions to other games' success, either gameplay-wise, or in financial success.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Not necessarily saying that you're not right, but Unreal was in development before Quake 1 got released and UT was released before Q3. Also, in the '80s at least 80% of games were directly inspired by other games. Maybe the percentage went down since then, maybe not, but tons of games are clearly reactions to other games' success, either gameplay-wise, or in financial success.
For sure, my follow-up expanded on my point a little bit more. I could have worded my initial post better, but just wanted to quickly summarize my point with some examples and not get into too much detail as to not derail a thread. It wasn't meant to be taken too in depth, but more so say that Epic do release games that seem to mirror other major releases, and that their mentality behind producing games like Paragon and Fortnite (at least the Battle Royale part), or even feature sets like this threads subject isn't particularly new. Game design doesn't really happen in a vacuum, games are shown off and played at trade shows, covered in the press, and discussed at large in fan communities, focusing so much on release dates doesn't mean one game that's in development didn't inspire another. Quake 3 for example had it's first public test several months prior to UT's, and had a leaked prototype even before that. Again, this isn't meant as unfair criticism towards Epic, and lots of studios take this type of development philosophy.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
I expect companies to look at their competition and see how they're behaving and what those competitors are offering - which customers will be comparing between. For what it's worth, I don't actually play the game, but that doesn't mean I didn't take note of the dropoff - or the reasons why (I'm guessing).
every game has a physiological drop off after D1. Rushing half assed content is now a way to keep being on top.
Fortite has 2 years of content and an already built community, other than fanboy talk Apex is not, cannot and must not compete with fortnite directly for now.

We are used to constant content and updates that we cannot endure waiting a month for anything

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
every game has a physiological drop off after D1. Rushing half assed content is now a way to keep being on top.
Fortite has 2 years of content and an already built community, other than fanboy talk Apex is not, cannot and must not compete with fortnite directly for now.

We are used to constant content and updates that we cannot endure waiting a month for anything
Consumers don't - and shouldn't be expected to - compare based on how things *were*, they compare based on how things *are*. Respawn should have seen this coming. If Apex makes some kind of big ol' turnaround, great, but I'm doubtful.

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
Consumers don't - and shouldn't be expected to - compare based on how things *were*, they compare based on how things *are*. Respawn should have seen this coming. If Apex makes some kind of big ol' turnaround, great, but I'm doubtful.
Yeah, good luck expecting the same level of content in any game d1 to compare to a game with 2 years on his back.

With your logic multiplayer games would have 1 terabyte of content at launch, BeU with 200 characters at launch because everybody has to constantly do more than a game complete of dlc.

Add content is not just adding content, is monitoring how people play and react to that. Randomly adding things without even questioning if it works or not is rubbish.

Plus to reach Fortnite levels would require Apex one year at least of development and when out it would still be one year behind.

You people really are spoiled, expecting d1 game to have the content of a 3 years game.

Plis

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, good luck expecting the same level of content in any game d1 to compare to a game with 2 years on his back.

With your logic multiplayer games would have 1 terabyte of content at launch, BeU with 200 characters at launch because everybody has to constantly do more than a game complete of dlc.

Add content is not just adding content, is monitoring how people play and react to that. Randomly adding things without even questioning if it works or not is rubbish.

Plus to reach Fortnite levels would require Apex one year at least of development and when out it would still be one year behind.

You people really are spoiled, expecting d1 game to have the content of a 3 years game.

Plis
Well, I don't know what to tell you. Iterating quickly - not just a case of "having content" - is what sets Fortnite apart, and what has kept them on top. Have fun, I guess, but I'll continue to point to the reasons why it dropped off and wonder as to what Respawn thought would happen.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Apex wouldn't ever be as big on Twitch as Fortnite. Ninja, Daequan, Myth, all these big streamers are big because of Fortnite, they are not leaving the game.

I'm sure Apex still is super successful, don't let Twitch fool you.

Oct 27, 2017
Good on Epic for taking note of what the competition is doing right and using it to adapt. I know they will get some slack for "stealing" ideas, but let's not forget that part of the reason Anthem disappointed so many was strictly because BioWare ignored everything that worked for Destiny.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yes they copied it.

GOOD that they copied it.

More developers should copy great features from other games, especially if they're ongoing GaaS types that could use the improvements.

For sure, my follow-up expanded on my point a little bit more. I could have worded my initial post better, but just wanted to quickly summarize my point with some examples and not get into too much detail as to not derail a thread. It wasn't meant to be taken too in depth, but more so say that Epic do release games that seem to mirror other major releases, and that their mentality behind producing games like Paragon and Fortnite (at least the Battle Royale part), or even feature sets like this threads subject isn't particularly new. Game design doesn't really happen in a vacuum, games are shown off and played at trade shows, covered in the press, and discussed at large in fan communities, focusing so much on release dates doesn't mean one game that's in development didn't inspire another. Quake 3 for example had it's first public test several months prior to UT's, and had a leaked prototype even before that. Again, this isn't meant as unfair criticism towards Epic, and lots of studios take this type of development philosophy.
But all the examples you gave were wrong, and now you're saying they do it... but you have no solid examples?

Paragon was a "copy" of a moba? No, it was a unique third person version of a moba. They innovated there within a genre. this definitely doesn't count.

Fornite they copied the BR template of PUB which they aided development of, sure, that's one....

The Quake 3 example... any actual features they copied? Both games would have been far along development by then.

Your claim was that Epic make a habit of this to a point it was noteworthy, ie: taking ideas from other games... but you have no evidence. There's more evidence that they do their own thing.... I don't think this is a thing like you say it is.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Well, if nothing else, epic copies middleware. I have worked on two middlewares that used to be integrated into UE and licensed separately, but have since then been copied down to the exact naming, feature set and even UI in editor. Effectively pushing people out of business. Unity does not do this btw. They buy middleware and integrate, or they keep sending people of to asset store.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
We all saw this coming lol. While the battle pass for apex was underwhelming a lot of people are still playing the game regularly. Twitch numbers don't tell the whole story. They do need to ramp up the updates though. New guns, characters, or mechanics to shake up the meta.