• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I'm not victim blaming at all, and the question is literally why is everything but one type of post seen as victim blaming even if it is stated as not being such, in fact your post is literally the personification of what I'm asking.

Ultimately what is the purpose of analyzing her actions in this? Like why is telling us "she is no saint", or something similar, an important topic of discussion in relation to spousal abuse?

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
The women can be reincarnation of satan for what I care but still dont fucking hit your especially pregnant wife.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I'm not victim blaming at all, and the question is literally why is everything but one type of post seen as victim blaming even if it is stated as not being such, in fact your post is literally the personification of what I'm asking.

You are literally victim blaming her. You are literally saying that she's the reason this happened.

The assault on the wife is of course the biggest issue and deserves the harshest criticism/ legal ramifications of anything in this situation, but to say everything else isn't relevant is wrong, the everything else is what directly leads us into this awful situation.

You're openly saying that her throwing a cardboard box at him is what led to this "situation", as if she were responsible for making her hit her twice.

But, yeah. "Just asking questions" and "What's so wrong with Destiny?".

So transparent.

GrimJawz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ultimately what is the purpose of analyzing her actions in this? Like why is telling us "she is no saint", or something similar, an important topic of discussion in relation to spousal abuse?
if someone were to say something as low effort as "she is no saint either" or something in that vain then I would agree with you that there not really adding much and are probably just muddying up the discussion if not even posting in bad faith. What I was asking initially was why is everything from the lowest effort post to genuine topics of discussion all being lumped together as victim blaming even wen preference as not being such, why are people comfortable wrapping the intent of someone else's words and then telling that person what they actually meant with there own words, because it honestly all comes off as people building up a boogie man to then knock down to feel good about themselves.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
One of the things I dislike about ResetEra is that it feels like there's very little discussion on most topics. There's one accepted type of response, and people who don't post it simply get abused. There's no attempt to engage with other people, take their posts at face value, and actually attempt to change their mind or perspective. If you can't change people's minds then the world will never change.

Yes, there will be people who post disingenuously, but I don't think that's a good reason to throw all discourse in the 'too hard' or 'waste of time' basket. I'd consider myself a cynic, but even I think that that's taking cynicism a bit too far.

GrimJawz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You are literally victim blaming her. You are literally saying that she's the reason this happened.

You're openly saying that her throwing a cardboard box at him is what led to this "situation", as if she were responsible for making her hit her twice.

But, yeah. "Just asking questions" and "What's so wrong with Destiny?".

So transparent.
I never said she's the reason this happened once nor did I imply that it was somehow her fault or even deserved, I never even mentioned the cardboard box in any one of my posts. But yeah I'm the transparent one. Your post is actually a great example of what I was asking, which was why do you feel comfortable manipulating and flat out lying about the things I said to suit your narrative to then "drag me".

Last edited:

Doctor Doggo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to thread whine but this shit should just be locked. There is zero discussion to be had. There is ZERO REASON TO EVER HIT A WOMEN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. And if you think other wise or want to try to rationalize you need to be hit in the head with an ice pick and see what it's like to be hit.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
One of the things I dislike about ResetEra is that it feels like there's very little discussion on most topics. There's one accepted type of response, and people who don't post it simply get abused. There's no attempt to engage with other people, take their posts at face value, and actually attempt to change their mind or perspective. If you can't change people's minds then the world will never change.

Yes, there will be people who post disingenuously, but I don't think that's a good reason to throw all discourse in the 'too hard' or 'waste of time' basket. I'd consider myself a cynic, but even I think that that's taking cynicism a bit too far.

Yeah the biggest bummer about ResetEra is that you can't justify dudes beating up their pregnant wives without getting banned.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa

Well until someone provides evidence of what the wife did that was so bad, anyone taking the opposing view point is an idiot. She yelled at him to stop playing games and threw a folded up cardboard box. There is nothing in this video that justifies what he did. Period.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

Of all topics to make this complaint, this is the thread you chose

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The video in the OP is gross and im glad the guy has been charged but this is really a dumb statement.

You shouldn't hit anyone man or woman under the vast majority of circumstances. But as with anything there are exceptions.
I hate to sound like one of those MRAs trying to weirdly justify hitting women, but yeah like self-defense is a thing. That's probably about it, though.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw the video..guy is a world class piece of shit. Hopefully she follows through with the charges and dumps his ass.

Oct 27, 2017

There have been some topics that I agree with what you are saying, but this definitely isn't one of them. There is no other side to this. He's a shit bag wife abuser. You don't hit someone in the face because they threw something at you, especially something as meaningless as cardboard. On top of that, as a man you don't hit women. This has been one of the most infuriating topics I've debated in quite a while because it is something so fucking basic that should just be the way it is with no debate. But nope, I was removed from the thread at GAF because a couple people, one in particular, insisted she be "put in place" and I tried to talk sense into them. But guess who was labeled as "sexist" and a "white knight" for believing a man shouldn't hit a woman? Guess which posters still gets to post in that thread spewing their 'but the man' nonsense? Speaks volumes of what a site stands for and against.
Sorry, needed to get that off my chest.
Hope the judge makes an example out of this punk.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hitting someone in the face and walking away isn't "De-escalation". Idk why Destiny keeps going for that angle.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the spouse following through with charges if she's already trying to get the AVO amended. The only "victim blaming" I think is fair is that she intends to go back to this POS. Hopefully the government takes the kids away if that is the case

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
if someone were to say something as low effort as "she is no saint either" or something in that vain then I would agree with you that there not really adding much and are probably just muddying up the discussion if not even posting in bad faith. What I was asking initially was why is everything from the lowest effort post to genuine topics of discussion all being lumped together as victim blaming even wen preference as not being such, why are people comfortable wrapping the intent of someone else's words and then telling that person what they actually meant with there own words, because it honestly all comes off as people building up a boogie man to then knock down to feel good about themselves.

I'd have to understand what you are talking about. My cursory glance at this thread shows me several folks make the type of low effort posts you are talking about. If your question is "why are people comfortable accusing others of victim blaming?" The answer is simply that we have, and have had, people on this site who literally do just that. They either see the abuse as ok, or are just trolling the community for a reaction. Certainly we have seen throughout social media that there are plenty of people who think violence against a women is completely fine or can be justified. Thus people are justifiable prone to see certain posts through that lense.

Beyond that, if you have a particular nuanced or meaningful discussion you want to have about spousal abuse, family life, etc., perhaps that is better left to creating a separate thread on the overall theme, rather than pursuing it in a thread that literally contains audio/video of someone being beaten in front of their child/children. As you can imagine most people are not going to be in state of mind to have a big discussion on what you want to talk about(I'm not sure what this is exactly) after watching the video unfold. Ultimately the wife's actions are meaningless in the face of what was recorded, so I'm not sure what kind of discussion people want to have.

But what other kind of response could there be on this particular thread? I mean the correct response is essentially "this guy is bad, don't beat women/your spouse". I'm not really grasping what else really needs to be said or discussed here?

CamDeenie

Banned
Nov 20, 2018
I'm not trying to thread whine but this shit should just be locked. There is zero discussion to be had. There is ZERO REASON TO EVER HIT A WOMEN UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. And if you think other wise or want to try to rationalize you need to be hit in the head with an ice pick and see what it's like to be hit.
I always wondered why people make dumb statements like this. So, if a woman comes at you with a knife, I guess her gender would outweigh your natural desire to live? Wow.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gamers: Why don't women like gaming

Also gamers: *Just look at some of these abuser defenders*

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
"She started it by throwing the box"
There's no equivalency there. If I was standing at a bus stop and some random dude threw a cardboard box at me, I would yell at him and probably throw the box back at him. I might prepare for a fight, but not necessarily expect it. If a random woman threw a cardboard box at me on the street, I would yell at her, but I don't think I could even bring myself to throw the box back at her, regardless of how angry I was.

This isn't a stranger, it's his pregnant partner, with children present. No decent human being would react by even throwing the box back.

"She's probably just as bad as he is" or "she probably hits him too"
If that was the case the police wouldn't have charged him and released her. It's clearly true that people in abusive relationships aren't exercising good judgement, but that's because they're brutalised and cut off from support networks. In this case she's also pregnant which means hormonal changes, commonly leading to mood swings. A partner of a pregnant woman would be well aware of that.

"It was self defence"
I don't think any rational human being thinks being called to dinner or having their heavily pregnant wife throw an empty box at them puts them in mortal or even physical danger.

"There are different standards for men and women"
Maybe that's true, but in this case, pregnancy aside, even if the genders were reversed I still think the woman involved would be the one getting charged.

There have been some topics that I agree with what you are saying, but this definitely isn't one of them.
My response was in general, I was just reminded of it in this thread because I've stopped visiting nearly any non-gaming threads. I only posted in here because I read that article in the Sydney Morning Herald and figured there weren't many other people at Era who regularly read the Herald.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A frightening and prevalent exemple of what addiction is, like a medical course clinical picture.

I don't know if it's in the root of his violent and deranged behavior but it surely emphasizes it.

Hope she will get helped after that, must be hard for her with a child and a pregnancy in charge.

Last edited:

JimmyJacking

Oct 28, 2017
The partner has responded..

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/aust...er-on-a-livestream/ar-BBQUhdP?ocid=spartanntp

She said he played the game for much of their relationship, but the addiction only gripped him in the past year.
'He got famous and started playing six to eight hours a day for his fans,' she said.
'As he got more addicted he changed, he became an angry person.
'He wasn't spending enough time with the kids and it was a struggle every day to get him to leave the computer for anything.'

Ms Campbell revealed that since the alleged assault she had been left terrified after being subjected to torrents of online abuse from Munday's fans, including death threats.
'They even said I was a bad mother and should lose my kids,' she said.

The court heard Ms Campbell wrote a letter asking that he be allowed to return home, according to Mr Mercael.
However, Ms Campbell said this was a misinterpretation as she only wanted to be able to contact him by phone to sort out money issues.
In fact, she said the relationship was over and she no longer thinks he is fit to be the father of their children.
'After this, I've had enough. I don't want him near me or the children,' she said.

JimmyJacking

Oct 28, 2017
Are they serious with this shit?

The presumption of innocence is a pretty strong foundation for most western systems. Until the judge drops that gavel, it is still an alleged crime. And news agencies will report as such in fear of libel I believe.

If your going to be outraged for something, I would direct you to the second quote I posted;

Ms Campbell revealed that since the alleged assault she had been left terrified after being subjected to torrents of online abuse from Munday's fans, including death threats.
'They even said I was a bad mother and should lose my kids,' she said.

.....Gamers...

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
So depressing that they were quite fine for a while, but the Fortnite addiction kicked in. Hope the best for her and the kids moving forward, while he gets help and learns from it on top of serving some time.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I hope she gets some financial support. As a pregnant mother you don't need financial worries on top of everything else, and from the audio on the stream and her letter to the court it sounds like DrDeadShit was supporting her financially.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Are they serious with this shit?

As mentioned before, this is standard journalistic practice. Until proven in a court of law, news media will always state allegations of a crime without explicitly declaring that a crime occurred. Only a judge or jury can decide that part. It's not meant to cast shade or doubt on the victim's story.

Septic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha pos got served.

Also, whilst ResetEra's hivemind mentality is DEFINITELY a problem, I don't think this is the thread to bring it up.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017

If someone watches a video of a dude furiously beating his partner in a fit of gamer rage and their go-to response is to put on their Sherlock Holmes hat and play detective, that kind of says it all.

Yes, there should be no debate on 'domestic abuse bad'.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017

Some things are not worth discussing. What value would this thread gain if ResetEra allowed posts like "the wife started it so it's her fault, change my mind" and "both sides are equally terrible"? Do you think such posters would change their hateful views from this thread alone?

Oct 25, 2017
I always wondered why people make dumb statements like this. So, if a woman comes at you with a knife, I guess her gender would outweigh your natural desire to live? Wow.

and i've always wondered why people make dumb statements like this

not every online communication needs to be written in legalese, congratulations on finding a counterexample demonstrating that the word "any" was used as hyperbole to make a point

you know damn well what that poster meant, but you still chose to pretend to be a dumbass

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She said he played the game for much of their relationship, but the addiction only gripped him in the past year.
'He got famous and started playing six to eight hours a day for his fans,' she said.
'As he got more addicted he changed, he became an angry person.
'He wasn't spending enough time with the kids and it was a struggle every day to get him to leave the computer for anything.'

Really sad stuff. Of course, if it wasn't for a game, it would have been something else eventually that would have brought out that side of him, but it always sucks when a family falls apart because of something trivial like a video game.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what exactly is the problem with the Destiny video, having only seen about 15m of it myself it seemed mostly fine from the small part I watched.

Also why is it that people see criticising the victim for her actions to any extent in this scenario as the equivalent of somehow saying that they deserved it or were asking for it, why is it you cannot deem her actions in this video as also being poor while not be seen as defending or justifying the mans extreme actions.

Because her not being a Saint or engaging in an heated argument with him is totally irrelevant to the fact he beated her while pregnant in front of his kids.

Bringing her actions to the table is giving a counterbalance to his actions, unwilling or not, "if she weren't mad at him, it would have not happened", "he responded to her actions", "she did some wrong too" and so on.

the everything else is what directly leads us into this awful situation.

See.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But then Ms Campbell said she would consider taking him back if he took anger management classes and showed he could be a good father and partner.
'I'll give him another chance for our kids, but only if he makes the effort and shows real improvement,' she said.

Bitch NO!, if you do I'll have no sympathy for you if this happens again. Get the Fuck Out!