• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Dragon Wars really feels forgotten and as far as I know, it is not available for purchase on any modern platform any more. It reviewed well back in the day and I remember enjoying it a lot.

Edit: Forget that. It's on GOG. :D

2997-dragon-wars-dos-front-cover.jpg

urbanvanilla

Oct 28, 2017
It is my time to stop lurking.
Star Crusader by Take 2 Interactive.

www.youtube.com

Star Crusader gameplay (PC Game, 1994)

Introduction and gameplay for Star Crusader, Dos PC game produced by GameTek in 1994 - http://www.squakenet.com/download/star-crusader/5630/ Playing through ...

This is a wing commander clone space sim. I got it combined with another game everyone forgets Slipstream 5000
which is apparently available on steam now. I bought it in some..magazine thing at a newsagency.
This game, was amazing. at least in my memory.

Star_Crusader_Coverart.gif

Some lame bits but to my young self, the story was amazing. The gameplay was wing commander-like, and I was constantly getting surprised.
Bits where you change sides and the animated base menu prior to starting mission changes to reflect the side you are on; the plot beats; and most specifically, I think there is a moment (and I can't be 100% sure if this is actually what happened) where you fly into a wormhole? purusing some..mystery and the game says something like "find out more in MILLENIA: Altered Destinies" which is an ENTIRELY different game by Take 2 Interactive and then just goes back the normal storyline.

Edit: Ok I found a video of what I recalled: https://youtu.be/M33R-K0tQ0M?list=PL6K1_LepsaN_qCJkU7Mg3gk-M3PQCxSMN&t=1802
but it says its an expansion pack that never came out.called Mystery of Grimnada. I could've sworn it said Millenia. because I don't think I knew Millenia was a real game and never played it myself, but somehow remembered the word Millenia...someone please verify this before I destroy my brain thinking about it.

Last edited:

kingsamj

Oct 25, 2017
do y'all remember Midtown Madness? I loved that game so much. it was literally the gateway drug to my love for games. I had played games before but Midtown Madness helped truly appreciate the art. I first learned about the game through a Microsoft Demo Disc but then we eventually bought the full game on PC. I credit that game even more knowing that that studio who made Midtown Madness (Angel Studios) went on to make Midnight Club and most of their driving mechanics became standard in Rockstar Games. only later did I realize that Angel then became Rockstar San Diego and made Red Dead Redemption later down the line.

It also paved the way for open world driving games too

oh my god I loved Midtown Madness as a kid! Midtown Madness 2 also had a fairly active mod scene back in the day which was cool :)

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Septerra Core

Was my first foray into isometric style RPG's. Loved the game and the world though........never completed it.

Hadoken

Oct 25, 2017
600full-dragon-lore-the-legend-begins-pc-cd-w-slash-manual-cover.jpg

Bought this thinking it was a first person melee action game. It ended up being a adventure game.

www.youtube.com

[PC] Dragon Lore: The Legend Begins

This video shows full game walkthrough of Dragon Lore: The Legend Begins for PC. Complete game walkthrough, прохождение, playthrough, gameplay and longplay w...

Fuck I really miss good combat sims. There's barely anything out there for combat sims, in space or not. You either have super technical simulators or you have dumb as rocks simple games. There's nothing really in between and with good story and mission design.

Me too. I played the crap out of the Wing Commander series and its spin off Privateer. RIP Origin Systems.

OP
OP
KORNdog

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some great suggestions, especially Wheel of Time and Shogo.

For me the first thing that springs to mind that really should get more love is Severance/Blade of Darkness (it had different names in different territories), released in 2001.

18z5n4lm8apqdjpg.jpg

I'm all over this one. reminds me a lot of the souls games.

theres some crazy waves of nostalgia in this thread. i'm amazed anyone had even heard of 9: the last resort too. i remember picking that up for like £1 or something. alongside Dark Earth.

Jun 7, 2018
1997 was an incredible year for games so there are a lot of "hidden gems" that didn't get as much attention as the likes of FF7, Goldeneye, Quake II etc, and Realms of the Haunting is one of the less well known stand-outs.
ROTH uses old-school Brit coder, Tony Crowther's own proprietary first-person engine, which is interesting as a curio to compare with others from the time, such as the Build engine and Quake engine. It was only ever used in one other game, Normality, which isn't quite as good or as ambitious but probably also worthy of a play.

Last edited:

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
i was very impressed by the Dragon Lore visuals when i was younger..But oh boy it looks awfull today lol.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Super Tux

I used to play this when I installed Ubuntu for the first time in my laptop. It's an OK platformer

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I was huge into Introversion Software games. Darwinia, Uplink. So good.

x360dev-image93.png

Uplink+02.jpg
For a time Darwinia was THE indie game with Cave Story. If you wanted to make an impression as "the guy who know games that you can't buy ina store", those were the two names to know. Now it's almost completely forgotten.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
I apologize to those who posted the examples, but Total Annihilation, MDK, Dark Reign, Redneck Rampage and Mechwarrior 2 aren't forgotten games, they have a relatively large following and communities that still play them.

Bora Horza

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I would highly recommend the Freespace games, I would call them a space sim, but some people might hotly disagree. The first is pretty good, but Freespace 2 is a damn near masterpiece, fun missions, great pilot chatter, an intriguing story line that gets increasingly desperate as it goes on. You can play with a mouse and keyboard easily enough, so no need to worry about getting a joystick or that. There are downloads too to overhaul the graphics in it, but even without those overhauls the art direction is so good you probably won't mind the outdated graphics.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
10Six, a game on Sega's Heat.net matchmaking platform. It had rts elements, resource collection, base building, and the weird 3rd person hover board shooting. It was pretty ambitious in 1998, especially as an always online game.

I remember it being pretty terrible all around though, and we definitely faced a ton of disconnects and server issues. I don't think they ever developed it further and was eventually shut down.

Wow, that is really ambitious, surprised I never heard of this, or Heat.net, guess it was US-only thing. Gotta love that XBAND Rough font that was ubiquitous in the '90s.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Man, we should have more threads about old PC games, forgotten or not. BTW, the Wing Commander games are on sale over at GOG right now. :)

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I feel like no one talks about the Gabriel Knight trilogy, and especially Gabriel knight 3 with it's amazing freeform 3D camera that really changes point-and-click gameplay. I once visited the actual real village the game world is modelled from and it was a surreal experience.

header_gabriel_knight_3_blood_of_the_sacred_blood_of_the_damned.jpg

IzzyRX