• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I mean, sure, I can get behind a battle pass that doesn't expire if that's something people want, but this makes more sense in Avengers, as each pass is locked to a single character. Battle passes in Destiny are shared between all of your characters. Not an apples to apples comparison by any means. And in their model, it is really necessary to adopt this approach because there are so many characters. It's in their best financial interests to allow players to play battle pass content whenever because otherwise people would be discouraged from buying more passes.

Rolling season passes that pay for the next after finishing the current season's would only work in Destiny if they decoupled the season pass from the big seasonal expansion purchase and made that a separate, additional purchase. Since seasons are only $10 in the first place (the entire cost of your average game's battle pass) while providing significantly more than just a battle pass worth of items in content, I guess that would look like a return their previous yearly expansion pricing ($50 minimum?) and then another $10 for each season pass (but if you reach max pass level, the next season pass unlocks for free). Eh, idunno if that would go over as well as Paul is suggesting. Not finishing a season pass becomes very expensive as you have to drop another $10 for the next pass one you want while regular players get it for free. I'm not sure how that decreases FOMO at all.

Finally, Paul should know the battle pass in Destiny 2 is fundamentally different than those in other games. In other games, the Battle Pass is the point of the purchase. This understanding is fundamental for this discussion, as it is completely different in Destiny 2. In Destiny 2, you buy into a season for the seasonal content: whatever weapons, story progression, raids, dungeons, and game modes that will be available for that season. The battle pass is just a throw-in extra; not the primary reason for purchase. If the season pass disappeared tomorrow, it wouldn't really matter because it's not why people drop $10 every few months in Destiny 2. So yea, while it would be cool if the skins that come up later in the pass could be earned whenever you can get to them, this isn't any sort of apples to apples comparison. Very different games, very different character systems, very different amounts of content provided by season passes and battle passes.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Everything sounds good except the progression being tied to these weeklies/dailies. Just let me progress the pass naturally by playing the game the way I want to play. These passes are something that should reward you over time for constantly playing, I don't want to do these silly challenges and then be done for the day until they reset. Let me binge and reward me for doing so!
That leads to stuff like in Destiny 2 though where if you don't endlessly and always do bounties, you basically "do it wrong".
it also means they need to make it extra grindy which will upset the casual audience

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Everything sounds good except the progression being tied to these weeklies/dailies. Just let me progress the pass naturally by playing the game the way I want to play. These passes are something that should reward you over time for constantly playing, I don't want to do these silly challenges and then be done for the day until they reset. Let me binge and reward me for doing so!
The issue with that is you're incentivising grinding rather than people just playing a couple of missions a day and still feeling like they're making progress.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Battle passes ain't worth shit if your game is shallow. I'm really interested in Avengers but with only 20 missions it's not worth full price.

I'm dumb.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really saw an ad that said 20 missions lol. Sorry guys.

But that's a buy on release for sure.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That leads to stuff like in Destiny 2 though where if you don't endlessly and always do bounties, you basically "do it wrong".
it also means they need to make it extra grindy which will upset the casual audience
The issue with that is you're incentivising grinding rather than people just playing a couple of missions a day and still feeling like they're making progress.
Then why not both? Have the challenges but also reward points for completing missions, with maybe more points given the higher difficulty you go. A battle pass that just stops progressing after completing some objectives a day really is a terrible idea in my book.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Battle passes ain't worth shit if your game is shallow. I'm really interested in Avengers but with only 20 missions it's not worth full price.
I feel like I have seen you post this before and I still do not understand why you think this?
The game has 80+ warzones/dropzones + the campaign missions on top

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never been sold on something that's just a less shit version of another.

ps3ud0 8)

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I guess we'll have to see when the games out things like how long it takes to complete a battle pass, how frequently missions and characters are added and how long the game is supported for.

As it is this model doesn't sound bad to me, The battle passes for the main roster are included with the game, it seems like it'll have a proper set of campaign missions if people just want to play the campaign and drop it.

With the DLC characters and missions the way I see it they could charge for the new heroes (Which would probably be £6-£10 each) bundle them up and sell a big dlc pack like games like the Division and Destiny do (which cost almost as much as a new game) or do it the way they're doing it. I'd much rather they give you the characters and missions for free and have a optional non expiring battle pass of cosmetic items. That if you finish gives you the credits back for the next one.

Deleted member 76539

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 31, 2020
Then why not both? Have the challenges but also reward points for completing missions, with maybe more points given the higher difficulty you go. A battle pass that just stops progressing after completing some objectives a day really is a terrible idea in my book.
Personally, as someone whose brain falls HARD for fomo (too hard as it's something I've had to cut out of my life) I'd always feel behind if I didn't keep grinding. I'd always feel like I'd need to play more and if I wasn't I was going to be "left behind".

This is of course just my particular mental hangup but a pass with a specific limit where I can close it and say "done for the day" feels much better.

Spiderman

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I have seen you post this before and I still do not understand why you think this?
The game has 80+ warzones/dropzones + the campaign missions on top
See my previous posts! I really thought the full game only had 20 missions because I saw this on an ad. Apparently there are 80+ missions in the full game and that changes my opinion completely.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
What's sad is that this entire system, and others like it, has really nothing to do with gameplay, it's solely about maximising "engagement" and making as much money as possible.

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, as someone whose brain falls HARD for fomo (too hard as it's something I've had to cut out of my life) I'd always feel behind if I didn't keep grinding. I'd always feel like I'd need to play more and if I wasn't I was going to be "left behind".

This is of course just my particular mental hangup but a pass with a specific limit where I can close it and say "done for the day" feels much better.
I understand that, but these passes dont expire. There's no way of getting truly left behind.

It just doesn't sit well with me. Especially when you can buy tiers with real money, which poses this in an even worse light now that I think about it.
"Do your challenges and wait for the reset, or pay up"

Atleast in other games if I miss a days worth of challenges I know I can just play normally to naturally earn my way back up if I feel like it.

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
This isnt really new though. At the start of the generation, Forza 5 got a load of shit for hiding some of the most sought after cars behind extremely lengthy grinds. Star Wars Battlefront 2 was also guilty of this (among many other monetization sins) with forcing players to grind hundreds of hours unlock characters like Darth Vader, and that's without spending the currency on a single lootbox. No fomo involved, just a calculated grind intended to sell "shortcuts" to those who want the coolest things.

So I'm not really convinced that the argument that "If you're committed enough you wont have to spend a penny" is a good one. It's kind of shocking to me how normalised this has become over the course of this generation.
It's kinda shocking to me how people expect stuff like Overwatch, Destiny and etc can sustain themselves without a subscription (which I wouldn't go for) or a monetization system like this one, which seems completely fair to me.

I guess we'll have to see when the games out things like how long it takes to complete a battle pass, how frequently missions and characters are added and how long the game is supported for.

As it is this model doesn't sound bad to me, The battle passes for the main roster are included with the game, it seems like it'll have a proper set of campaign missions if people just want to play the campaign and drop it.

With the DLC characters and missions the way I see it they could charge for the new heroes (Which would probably be £6-£10 each) bundle them up and sell a big dlc pack like games like the Division and Destiny do (which cost almost as much as a new game) or do it the way they're doing it. I'd much rather they give you the characters and missions for free and have a optional non expiring battle pass of cosmetic items. That if you finish gives you the credits back for the next one.

I'm not sure if it's the wording or I'm not getting what you mean, but I have the impression you are saying we'll have to pay for the new characters after launch. That's wrong and they've been saying since day one:

All DLC characters are free. We don't have to pay with real money or game credits to play with them. We can buy their battle passes with game credits or real money, but all we get is cosmetic changes and emotes.

With Street Fighter V, you can grind for the dlc characters or you can buy them. Marvel's Avengers is getting us new DLC characters with missions, raid-like content and likely story campaign events for free, with us having to pay only for cosmetics. I think it's similar to the Overwatch's current system and completely fair to me.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I understand that, but these passes dont expire. There's no way of getting truly left behind.

It just doesn't sit well with me. Especially when you can buy tiers with real money, which poses this in an even worse light now that I think about it.
"Do your challenges and wait for the reset, or pay up"

Atleast in other games if I miss a days worth of challenges I know I can just play normally to naturally earn my way back up if I feel like it.
how do you earn your way back up if you are never behind?
that's literally just on you going "the maximum efficiency means I can be done at THIS date" and if you miss that date you feel you "lost out".
that's entirely on you yourself

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some nice things doesnt take away from the overall failure brought on by a battle pass per character. Allowing more than one player to use the same character would alleviate the issue. Otherwise you're going to dump money into a character that you will often be forced to not play.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not sure if it's the wording or I'm not getting what you mean, but I have the impression you are saying we'll have to pay for the new characters after launch. That's wrong and they've been saying since day one:

All DLC characters are free. We don't have to pay with real money or game credits to play with them. We can buy their battle passes with game credits or real money, but all we get is cosmetic changes and emotes.

With Street Fighter V, you can grind for the dlc characters or you can buy them. Marvel's Avengers is getting us new DLC characters with missions, raid-like content and likely story campaign events for free, with us having to pay only for cosmetics. I think it's similar to the Overwatch's current system and completely fair to me.

Sorry it was my bad wording. I was saying I prefer the way they're doing it with the characters being free. The alternative would be paying close to the price of the optional battle pass to get access to the character at all.

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how do you earn your way back up if you are never behind?
that's literally just on you going "the maximum efficiency means I can be done at THIS date" and if you miss that date you feel you "lost out".
that's entirely on you yourself
I mean I don't disagree with that, but if that really is the case then why bother locking it behind these challenges?
If you are never truly behind, then let people progress it through more than 2 avenues (those being limited challenges per day or $$$). Its unnecessary.

I feel like I need to remind folks here that this is cosmetic rewards only. Gatekeeping that is even more strange of an idea?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Some nice things doesnt take away from the overall failure brought on by a battle pass per character. Allowing more than one player to use the same character would alleviate the issue. Otherwise you're going to dump money into a character that you will often be forced to not play.
Matchmaking works by choosing your character first and then being matchmade into a group without that hero.
So you will never be forced to play anyone.
You are also never forced to pay for any battlepass, especially not if you don't like that hero.

I mean I don't disagree with that, but if that really is the case then why bother locking it behind these challenges?
If you are never truly behind, then let people progress it through more than 2 avenues (those being limited challenges per day or $$$). Its unnecessary.

I mean,if they added a pure grind option then the challenge option would instantly be moot to have

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Matchmaking works by choosing your character first and then being matchmade into a group without that hero.
You are also never forced to pay for any battlepass, especially not if you don't like that hero.

I mean,if they added a pure grind option then the challenge option would instantly be moot to have
That only applies to randoms and based on the beta experience, will have a shitty time with matchmaking. But many people have multiple groups of friends who are likely interested in the same characters. Unless for some reason you think a Hawkeye is just as popular as Spider-man, there will be instances when you will choose another character to let someone else play the one you purchased a battle pass for.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of games start without predatory MTXs and apparently customer-friendly progression systems. We'll see how Avengers fares in some months.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
but you will be forced to use a different character because every time a new character comes out people will want to use them. So you will never match quickly until someone gets fed up and switches to a character that's been out for months.

they need to allow duplicate characters

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
You know what we need? A rational process to judge a gaas's "scumminess". (or cost)

How much does playing the game cost per year if:
  1. You get ALL the DLC available for all chars (all skins, cool weapons, horses, hats, etc.). You = king of DLC. A bona fide whale.
  2. You get ALL non-cosmetic DLC only (new characters, weapons that are better than normal ones, new maps, etc.)
To play Street Fighter V, Option #2 costs $210 over 5 years, aka $42/year, aka $3.50/month. That's a solid deal. (includes $60 + $30/year roughly. I ended up spending about $170 to have all the chars, and I spent an additional $40 on songs and costumes, stages, etc.)

Not sure what SFV option #1 costs, but I assume over $600 if you bought stages, songs, costumes as they came out.

To play FFXIV: After a ton of free content, option #2 is $13/month in subscription fees. That's almost quadruple SFV but maybe it's worth it.

How much does option #2 cost in Destiny 2?

How much does option # cost in Avengers?

The important thing is to give actual dollar figures. An actual monthly cost to play the game we can all compare to the money we spent on arcades or whatever.

OP
OP
Mandalorian

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
That only applies to randoms and based on the beta experience, will have a shitty time with matchmaking. But many people have multiple groups of friends who are likely interested in the same characters. Unless for some reason you think a Hawkeye is just as popular as Spider-man, there will be instances when you will choose another character to let someone else play the one you purchased a battle pass for.
Matchmaking was improved one hell lot on both PC and PS4 Pro from my own personal experience last weekend. And while that worked great, the real powerful experience for this game is to find among your group of friends to play this together. That's when the game really shines, imho. I got to matchmake with some cool randoms and surprisingly no kids, but nothing compares when you play this thing with people that you know and are good enough to play at higher difficulties.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
but you will be forced to use a different character because every time a new character comes out people will want to use them. So you will never match quickly until someone gets fed up and switches to a character that's been out for months.

they need to allow duplicate characters
Then you play with AI ;)

Deleted member 2172

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the current per tier cost/challenge reward amount you are right, it would become moot. I think they could find a happy medium if they decided to pursue one. I understand they don't want to, I just think that, personally, this will feel like an unrewarding experience for me.

I will probably get this game anyway, again I really like what they are doing here but this is just one snag I don't like at all.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
No tome limit is massive in my opinion. Every battle pass should be able to be completed at any time you want. I don't want to be stuck playing your game to get the most out of my battle pass.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At first the character battle passes seemed stupid to me but the article makes a good argument. That these passes don't have a time limit is probably the most important part

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I just re-read the OP and the quoted article and all I see is OP's subjective (And I stress, valid) opinion on what the game means to them.

You said this:

To me, the concept of an Avengers video game is about switching between all the characters at whim and earning the cool rewards for them based upon time spent playing with them. This feels like a system easily manipulated to locking you into one character to earn your investment back, for an unspecified amount of time, with "shortcuts" being offered in the form of other battle passes.

Which likely means you ignored or look past this information from the OP:

The biggest thing, first and foremost, is that Avengers has realized that eliminating FOMO (the fear of missing out) is key in crafting a battle pass, which unlike pretty much every other game that uses them, Destiny included, theirs does not expire. As in, if you pick up the Hawkeye battle pass when his character comes out in a few weeks, you don't have a "season" to finish it. You have…as much time as you want, meaning you don't have to solely grind out Hawkeye over other characters to finish it if you don't want to.

It does not manipulate players into one character. It does the exact opposite by removing the time limit on battle passes.

Play who you want, whenever you want. There is zero stress or manipulation into playing as a certain character for the battle passes.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks) - Hostility to other members & accusations of shilling
It's kinda disgusting how hard some of you are going to bat for these MTX systems compared to even just a couple of years ago. If the weren't Marvel I think a lot of you wouldn't be twisting yourself in knots trying to defend this stuff.

Non expiring season passes are good, but there is no reason whatsoever there shouldn't be a single seasonal pass instead of one for each character. We already have a cash shop. We also have ZERO clue how long a pass takes to complete, so the play one get the next one free us suspect as hell.

Also $14 skins in an iconic super hero game where the actual loot has NO APPEARANCE effect whatsoever makes "it's only cosmetics" a much harder sell than any other of these games. In Destiny I can change my appearance with every item I loot, same with The Division. In Avengers my appearance doesn't change and you can bet your ass some of the most iconic skins will be pay only.

You created a new thread stanning for MTX based on a Forbes contributor piece and based on your post history it's a total shill move, it reads like a plant marketer for this game.

Jim was dead on with his assertions, plain and simple.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Time-limited battlepasses are straight up garbage designed to force engagement even when a player may not want to play just so they can get their money's worth. Haven't bought a single CoD battlepass because of the fact that I may not play the game for more than an hour a week. Trying to hoard and monopolize a player's time isn't a good replacement for loot boxes. Let people finish those things in their own time.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
It sounds good in theory, and the no time limit for full completion is a strong positive. However, until it's revealed how long it takes to max out one of these battle passes to earn my money back, I'm skeptical about it.
There's six of them so you can spend some time with multiple characters and earn enough to buy another battle pass without actually finishing any of them.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
You said this:

Which likely means you ignored or look past this information from the OP:

It does not manipulate players into one character. It does the exact opposite by removing the time limit on battle passes.

Play who you want, whenever you want. There is zero stress or manipulation into playing as a certain character for the battle passes.

And how much playtime in one single battle pass earns enough currency to afford the new character's battle pass? And if you finish them all, how many future battle passes does that make free?

My point stands, a calculated time sink is just that. And I just dont trust a GaaS to jot change things later down the line, considering that has happened before. (Fallout 76 promised only cosmetic microtransactions at launch, but later changed their mind. Crash Team Racing launched without any microtransactions, but later patched them in.)

I feel this model is ripe for abuse.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
And how much playtime in one single battle pass earns enough currency to afford the new character's battle pass? And if you finish them all, how many future battle passes does that make free?

My point stands, a calculated time sink is just that. And I just dont trust a GaaS to jot change things later down the line, considering that has happened before. (Fallout 76 promised only cosmetic microtransactions at launch, but later changed their mind. Crash Team Racing launched without any microtransactions, but later patched them in.)

I feel this model is ripe for abuse.
Nobody knows the time yet, but every battle pass completed gets you the credits to buy another one.

Non expiring season passes are good, but there is no reason whatsoever there shouldn't be a single seasonal pass instead of one for each character. We already have a cash shop. We also have ZERO clue how long a pass takes to complete, so the play one get the next one free us suspect as hell.
A single season pass? Great - so they add a new character and what...tack it onto the end?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
And how much playtime in one single battle pass earns enough currency to afford the new character's battle pass?

We don't know. But that's irrelevant because there is no time limit.

You're creating a problem that doesn't exist.

And if you finish them all, how many future battle passes does that make free?

One. Each battle pass completed gets you the credits to buy another.

This is known. It seems like you're not aware of all the details before commenting negatively.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, sure, I can get behind a battle pass that doesn't expire if that's something people want, but this makes more sense in Avengers, as each pass is locked to a single character. Battle passes in Destiny are shared between all of your characters. Not an apples to apples comparison by any means. And in their model, it is really necessary to adopt this approach because there are so many characters. It's in their best financial interests to allow players to play battle pass content whenever because otherwise people would be discouraged from buying more passes.

Rolling season passes that pay for the next after finishing the current season's would only work in Destiny if they decoupled the season pass from the big seasonal expansion purchase and made that a separate, additional purchase. Since seasons are only $10 in the first place (the entire cost of your average game's battle pass) while providing significantly more than just a battle pass worth of items in content, I guess that would look like a return their previous yearly expansion pricing ($50 minimum?) and then another $10 for each season pass (but if you reach max pass level, the next season pass unlocks for free). Eh, idunno if that would go over as well as Paul is suggesting. Not finishing a season pass becomes very expensive as you have to drop another $10 for the next pass one you want while regular players get it for free. I'm not sure how that decreases FOMO at all.

Finally, Paul should know the battle pass in Destiny 2 is fundamentally different than those in other games. In other games, the Battle Pass is the point of the purchase. This understanding is fundamental for this discussion, as it is completely different in Destiny 2. In Destiny 2, you buy into a season for the seasonal content: whatever weapons, story progression, raids, dungeons, and game modes that will be available for that season. The battle pass is just a throw-in extra; not the primary reason for purchase. If the season pass disappeared tomorrow, it wouldn't really matter because it's not why people drop $10 every few months in Destiny 2. So yea, while it would be cool if the skins that come up later in the pass could be earned whenever you can get to them, this isn't any sort of apples to apples comparison. Very different games, very different character systems, very different amounts of content provided by season passes and battle passes.
I haven't played Destiny 2 since November, but as far as I know, raids and dungeons are not part of the seasonal content (they are not tied to the purchase of a season). Only the battle pass, a rotating PvE activity and it's weapons, and a triumph? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
You know what's funny..if you kind of think about it, this is just like old school unlocks. Play a game/character, unlock items. The good ol' days.

I'll get this game on the PS5!

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Destiny's Battle Pass is absolute trash, built solely around getting players to do the most boring aspect of the game - bounties. Ever wonder why the other players you're partnered with in PvP modes are playing like idiots? Its most likely because they have a bounty telling them to. Worst aspect though is the contents of what you get n the pass are mostly junk. And Bungie doesnt even have enough junk to fill out the pass, leaving many open slots.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
We don't know. But that's irrelevant because there is no time limit.

You're creating a problem that doesn't exist.

One. Each battle pass completed gets you the credits to buy another.

This is known. It seems like you're not aware of all the details before commenting negatively.

No, I'm actually confused. Are all the initial battle passes free? Or do you have to buy one at first?

The former sounds fair on the surface, the latter is predatory.

Speaking as someone who had literally bankrupted themselves on similar mechanics, I dont understand why you are being so aggressive about my concern. Especially given that this is a game that hasn't demonstrated how dare its progression systems actually are.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
The no time limit is good, incredibly good even. The fact that I missed out on stuff previously in Destiny even though I paid for it just makes me want to play the game less.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
No, I'm actually confused. Are all the initial battle passes free? Or do you have to buy one at first?

Speaking as someone who had literally bankrupted themselves on similar mechanics, I dont understand why you are being so aggressive about my concern.
You get the six starter characters battle pass for free. That gets you 6,000 credits to continue buying what you want. People are being 'aggressive' because there's a lot of 'concern' lately...

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

The battle passes for all of the base characters are free.

I dont understand why you are being so aggressive about my concern.

The answer to the question you just asked is in the OP that you claimed to have read twice.